A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: what do you tend to carve?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #979477 by coldsnap
Sep 16, 2019 11:37pm
Thread
I tend to carve several of a theme because I host an annual letterboxing event and the theme changes every year. I had never tried carving faces until my Rock and Roll event, and then I did lots. I approach carving faces as a series of lines, not as a face per se, my carving is calmer and I get a better result.

Warrior Woman
who despite this isn’t 100% happy with the beard on her Chris Cornell
Reply to: #979478 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 17, 2019 8:54am
Thread
I carve a bit of everything, sticking to a theme for awhile then moving on to the next.
60+ Doctor Who stamps, then around 100 Disney stamps (including 20+ Disney Pinups), then 50+ American History...

I have trouble carving faces too. The problem(?) is that we (as humans) are tuned towards seeing human faces, so we spot irregularities.

I've never had a problem carving faces. It is simply another set of lines to carve. Just more dark blobs and light areas.
Pick a good image, get the best transfer possible, and follow the lines when you carve. Trust that it will work! Don't try to change the image once you start!
Simple is often better when picking an image of a face.

Check out some of my face carvings on my blog, along with most of my other stamps.
http://riclimbersltcs.blogspot.com/
Reply to: #979526 by RIclimber
Sep 17, 2019 7:58pm
Thread
I've never had a problem carving faces. It is simply another set of lines to carve. Just more dark blobs and light areas.

I try to do that too. I do faces okay. However, I haven't done an acceptable open-teeth smile yet; only tried twice. I still put them on the LTCs, but they were a little weird.
Reply to: #979529 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 22, 2019 9:28am
Thread
Agree, teeth can get into "really creepy!" territory really fast if the line weight is weird.
Reply to: #979529 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 22, 2019 9:42am
Thread
There is a trick to teeth. You don't want to trace each tooth. It's about giving the impression of teeth more than carving each tooth individually. I wish I had an example handy.
Reply to: #979477 by coldsnap
Sep 22, 2019 3:30pm
Thread
Do you end up with the same recurring images?

I've always carved my own sketches, designing everything myself with perhaps only a handy reference photo. Not until recently did I realize that wasn't the norm.

I tend towards a more cartoony style, but that doesn't bother me. I enjoy trying new designs, like recently I designed my first layered stamps, and my favorites have been a couple of tessellating designs I've made; I don't think I'll ever get tired of those. So many possibilities, and not something I've seen anybody else do!

Although I really enjoy designing images, it does eat up most of my energy in the creative process. I sort of envy people who can pump out 40 stamps for a series because they weren't tied up composing each one.

I also feel a bit limited by my artistic abilities. I could probably carve with more detail than I can draw. I might start drawing my images large and then shrinking them on a printer before transferring them. In any case, I wouldn't feel the same connection to my stamp images if I pulled the design from somewhere else. :)
Reply to: #979641 by Odd Owl
Sep 22, 2019 5:41pm
Thread
I've always carved my own sketches, designing everything myself with perhaps only a handy reference photo. Not until recently did I realize that wasn't the norm.

I would like to be able to draw my own images. I just don't have that much skill. I can draw some simple images, but not very many.
Printing on fabric
Sep 28, 2019 5:45pm
Thread
I've started following some stamp carving tags on Instagram, and it looks like a lot of artists use their rubber stamps to print on fabric. It looks sooo pretty (I mean, it's Instagram so of course it does)

My mom does a lot of quilting so I'd like to try printing some fabrics for her. Also seems like dish towels and t-shirts would make great gifts or event raffle prizes!

Any of you tried doing fabric prints of stamps before?
Re: Printing on fabric
Reply to: #979820 by Odd Owl
Sep 28, 2019 6:03pm
Thread
Would be nice to know what fabric and ink to use also, to minimize bleeding and allow for washing.
Sep 28, 2019 6:10pm
Thread
I have make a couple of LTCs using fabric. I used Ranger Archival ink pads. Then heat set it with my embossing tool. I haven't washed them. So not sure how that would be. I mean, they are LTCs.
Sep 28, 2019 8:23pm
Thread
Yes - I used speedball block printing ink on this canvasy tote material. Things I learned:

You need way more ink on it than paper
Press really hard
Test it out on some scrap material first

It was my first time rolling out ink and using a brayer, which took some getting used to. Try to roll on thin layers and put on many thin layers if needed - better that than thickly and getting it into the carved out spaces.
Sep 29, 2019 12:04am
Thread
I don't know what type of ink would hold up to washing.
Sep 29, 2019 1:09am
Thread
There are block printing inks specifically for printing on fabric, if you want it to be washable.

If you’re on Facebook, there’s a group called “We love lino prints on fabric” that may be helpful :)
Reply to: #979828 by kudichan
Sep 29, 2019 6:33am
Thread
Totally agree with all of what kudichan said.

Speedball makes fabric ink for use with a brayer. It does fade with washing though. I've stamped fabric with brilliance ink & stazon with some success too. Fading over long term is a concern, but i have a stamped quilt from 5 years ago where the stamps are still visible after dozens of washings.

Heat setting is important for any of these methods.
Reply to: #979829 by LROSEM
Sep 29, 2019 6:38am
Thread
Are there fabric contents that work better or not so well? Will some inks have more tendency bleed?
Sep 29, 2019 8:59am
Thread
I used to hand-print Tshirts for a tourist store for a few years. I used Plaid ink. I've got shirts that I've washed hundreds of times with minimal fading. Highly recommend it.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/f6638b1c-fb49-486d-bf35-bb77cb136365.jpg
multi-layered stamps & ink in box
Sep 30, 2019 5:47am
Thread
Hi all-

I have a great idea for a multilayered stamp but am not sure it will work. Has anyone used black as the 1st "background" image that is stamped, wait for that to dry, then use gold ink as the 2nd stamp on top of the black? Does this work?

PS- I know that i will need to leave the gold ink pad in the box which will be kept as an indoor LB.

thanks for any help! Happy boxing.

The Red Hare
Re: multi-layered stamps & ink in box
Reply to: #979864 by The Red Hare
Sep 30, 2019 5:49am
Thread
If you left a StazOn black inkpad in the box, it seems as though it would work.
Sep 30, 2019 8:12am
Thread
I've done a few sets of multi-layer stamps. I've only provided ink if I think it's a color that most people won't have or if the exact shades are important. I think gold would fall in that category.

Your plan sounds like it would work well, especially since it will be indoors and you don't have to worry about the gold's exposure to the elements. You could test to see if the type of black in matters. I'd only provide black if it seems like it does.
Sep 30, 2019 9:30am
Thread
then use gold ink as the 2nd stamp on top of the black?

With all of the multi-layer stamps I have come across or created myself the various inked areas do not overlap. They are/were all adjacent areas. The name "multi-layer" is really a bit of a misnomer, in my mind, at least.

One reason why you might not want to do what you are describing is that even if a person waits for the black ink to dry the solvent in the gold ink will likely dissolve some of the black ink and it will get on the gold ink pad.
Sep 30, 2019 10:49am
Thread
All the layered stamps I have seen has each layer as a different part of the image so that no layer overlaps. Each stamp/layer adds to the image and completes the image.

There is no waiting for ink to dry because no ink goes on top of another ink.

Most of them have people start with the lightest color first and the darkest color last.
Sep 30, 2019 11:50am
Thread
I haven't seen black used as the base color, but I have seen a darker color under a lighter color. If you're using a pigment ink, and caution the finder to let the black dry a second, I don't see why this wouldn't work. I would think gold would show up really nicely.
Reply to: #979874 by PI Joe
Sep 30, 2019 11:57am
Thread
You can layer on colours, though - I've seen some incredible stuff with prints, but it tends to be done in the studio, reduction prints, and using medium to dilute the ink so it's not opaque but has a translucent layering effect. I think it'd be really hard to do on the go the way letterboxing tends to be, but man, the effects can be stunning.
Oct 1, 2019 1:15am
Thread
In general, gold ink doesn't work well. Period. For a decent gold effect, better to use clear ink (yes, it exists) and emboss it with gold embossing powder. You actually might be able to use black ink, meaning that any ink that doesn't end up with embossing powder stuck to it would just look like part of the black image.

Of course, embossing is a challenge in the field. We've discussed before whether embossing can be done with 12V heaters plugged into the cigarette lighter or whatnot.
Reply to: #979901 by Kirbert
Oct 3, 2019 2:40pm
Thread
In general, gold ink doesn't work well. Period.

Aw. I thought the ink I bought was just bad quality. I'm sad to hear that it just doesn't seem to stamp well. :(
Oct 3, 2019 7:46pm
Thread
I guess I may be the odd one out. The multi-layer stamps I have done tend to be truly multi-layer. I am admittedly influenced by wood-block printing in that way. However, I don’t print one color, carve, print next, carve, etc. That would just be silly. :P
Oct 3, 2019 8:03pm
Thread
thanks everyone for the great info! yes, i have also noticed gold doesn't seem to transfer well...thought it was just that my log book is white paper and gold ink is light colored.

i was hoping that it would work if i did layers from the paper of black ink first then put the gold ink on top of black. just like u all said... "maybe, but be careful". thanks for the suggestions that i should do a true multi-layered stamp where the black goes on the paper and then the gold goes directly on the white paper left over or reverse that and try gold ink first then black around it as the second stamp. i will run some options with different inks and stamp patterns and let you know since there are lots of factors.

thank you again for your insight!
The Red Hare
Reply to: #980033 by AlishaMisha
Oct 4, 2019 3:21pm
Thread
That would be a reduction print. A technique used by linoleum carvers.
Reply to: #979874 by PI Joe
Oct 4, 2019 3:29pm
Thread
Then those are multi color, not multi layer. You can do multiple layers with multiple colors in each layer, but there have to either be multiple blocks that overlap or a reduction print (progressively carving out from the same block) for it to be multi layer. Otherwise, it would indeed be quite a misnomer ;)
Letterboxers Christmas Event
Oct 5, 2019 6:01pm
We are still looking for food stamps if anyone wants to carve. Can be any size and looking for the border to look like a postage stamp. Just check out the event page and see what people are already carving

Thanks

Happydaze