A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: Pink Stuff in Stores
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #978024 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Aug 6, 2019 7:00pm
Thread
Caveat emptor regarding large sheets of the pink stuff - over the years I have noticed the larger the sheet size, the higher the likelihood you will get a bad sheet, ripples being the most common problem, across the entire sheet. I don’t know if it is from mishandling of the product from manufacturer to retailer (it doesn’t matter which retailer) or what, but it has been consistent. If you are carving an image with lots of inkable space, you’ll be disappointed with the results. I have learned to order in approximate 4X6 size for my needs. I’d advise getting the closest match to the size of the large stamp you are making to avoid this.

Warrior Woman
has no patience with sanding and acetone washes
Reply to: #978066 by Warrior Woman
Aug 6, 2019 7:29pm
Thread
Thank you-that is a very helpful insight. I had many large slabs of the good pink stuff from 2007 and 2009, and never had any inconsistencies, but I DID notice what you are talking about in some of the 6x12 slabs of the newer stuff. I always try my best to examine the slabs carefully before I buy them if I am in a store; not possible when ordering online though!
Reply to: #978067 by Gypsy Fiddler
Aug 6, 2019 8:04pm
Thread
There is a theory that the surface quality of pink stuff is a result of its storage rather than its manufacture. Essentially all of it seems to taper a bit at the edges, and it's possible this taper is a result of it being wrapped tightly in cellophane. Likewise, if it is stored with uneven stuff set on top of it, it may develop low spots wherever weight was on it.

An open question remains whether the same tactic could be used to cure such issues. Uneven surface? Set the slab between plates of glass with some weights on top and leave it for a month or two.
Aug 6, 2019 8:18pm
Thread
Caveat emptor regarding large sheets of the pink stuff - over the years I have noticed the larger the sheet size, the higher the likelihood you will get a bad sheet, ripples being the most common problem, across the entire sheet.

Never had that problem.
Aug 6, 2019 8:20pm
Thread
Whatever size you order 2 edges between 1/4" and 1/2" are unuseable due to beveling. I carve that off when I remove it from the packaging so that I don't transfer my image to that section by accident. I tend to order the 9x11.75 sheet and so far haven't had any issues.

Lynn
Reply to: #978068 by Kirbert
Aug 6, 2019 8:21pm
Thread
That's an interesting theory about restoring the surface of pink...
Reply to: #978016 by AdventurousAcorn
Aug 7, 2019 5:55am
Thread
Super useful and helpful thread! I forget about Michael's - it's just a pain to get to since they're generally far from city centers, but they do indeed seem to always have discounts. (I go to Blicks mostly.) And interesting thought on the rippling on big pink stuff. I want to try carving bigger things, maybe not just for lb-ing, so I guess I'll go to a store and feel up the rubber to check it's all flat ;)

I bought a tiny square of lino, the kind with rough open weave twine backing, to see if it was any good to carve. It's definitely much harder to cut (I changed tools midway through and used a not as sharp blade, and promptly gouged myself because of how much harder I had to push). It's very curved too. I was carving something tiny so it didn't matter, but I wonder if heating with a heat gun and then pressing flat would help. It's much thinner than the pink stuff.
Reply to: #978077 by coldsnap
Aug 7, 2019 6:26am
Thread
I'll go to a store and feel up the rubber to check it's all flat ;)

Police: Ma'am, what are you doing?

You: Feeling up the material.

Police: Please turn around and put your hands behind your back. You have the right to remain silent. ....
Aug 7, 2019 11:02am
Thread
I guess I'll go to a store and feel up the rubber to check it's all flat ;)

Hope you can post from jail. LOL

Snark read my mind, she edited. lol
Reply to: #978079 by Snark
Aug 7, 2019 12:00pm
Thread
LOL. AQ will post bail for me right? I just wanted to make sure the stamp will come out right!!
Re: Carving patience?
Reply to: #978056 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Aug 7, 2019 1:38pm
Thread
He sure got good results with that awful material. It reminded me of the nasty blue stuff. Really grainy. I wish I could use an exacto like that. I've tried, but I think it's my eyes--I miss the lines I am aiming for and cut off too much. These people make it look so easy.
Reply to: #978091 by Topcollector
Aug 7, 2019 1:43pm
Thread
I agree with you. In theory it seems like I should get best results while carving straight lines with an xacto but it never works out that way. I get best results with a gouge.
Aug 7, 2019 2:57pm
Thread
{I bought a tiny square of lino, the kind with rough open weave twine backing, to see if it was any good to carve. It's definitely much harder to cut (I changed tools midway through and used a not as sharp blade, and promptly gouged myself because of how much harder I had to push). It's very curved too. I was carving something tiny so it didn't matter, but I wonder if heating with a heat gun and then pressing flat would help. It's much thinner than the pink stuff.}

Linoleum does not work well as a stamping material. It is made for rolling ink. I have a couple linoleum "stamps" that I carved when I was new to boxing because I make Xmas cards with Lino and thought I could transition easily, but they are very hard to get a good image in the usual manner with ink pads. It can be done but isn't worth it. If you are going to do it, I find better results by pressing paper onto stamp surface rather than stamping down onto paper.
Reply to: #978093 by detective
Aug 7, 2019 8:25pm
Thread
I did buy brayer + block print ink. My tiny stamp was OK with regular ink pads, maybe because there wasn't a lot of inked area.
Reply to: #978091 by Topcollector
Aug 8, 2019 3:15pm
Thread
This was carved 100% with an Xacto:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1091750327675230&set=a.446244722225797&type=3&theater

The keys are really good magnification lots of light. I obtained 7X readers from Readers.com, all I can say is WOW has my carving improved!

Lynn
Reply to: #978165 by Phoenix Rizing
Aug 8, 2019 10:40pm
Thread
Wonderful letters. I agree about the mag. & light. I have an ott light magnifier and I have to use the little magnifying dot in the middle of the glass to carve. Every now & then I back off & use the regular lens without realizing it & when I realize it & go back & look at the carve, I'm just barely up to the lines. It sucks getting old. I used to be able to do counted cross stitch on my lunch hour with room light (like my daughter does now). Now I can't see anything without a magnifying glass.
Reply to: #978178 by Topcollector
Aug 9, 2019 6:11pm
Thread
I have tried the stationary magnifying lens but the way I carve, I was constantly hitting the glass. A plus with the high magnification reading glasses, I can move my head around. I can't carve anything without the magnification now, not if I want to keep the stamp small and have really good detail.
Reply to: #978165 by Phoenix Rizing
Aug 9, 2019 6:56pm
Thread
I obtained 7X readers from Readers.com, all I can say is WOW has my carving improved!

That's because you can see what you're doing wrong! :-)
tiny carves
Aug 9, 2019 8:31pm
Thread
What carving tools are used for small carves and tiny details?
Reply to: #978211 by Kirbert
Aug 9, 2019 8:49pm
Thread
HAH!
Re: tiny carves
Reply to: #978214 by A Okay
Aug 9, 2019 8:50pm
Thread
I use a #11 Xacto knife and a miniaturized #1 gouge.
Aug 9, 2019 9:11pm
Thread
Reversed Staedtler 1v
Aug 10, 2019 5:59am
Thread
A bright light with a big magnifying glass attached.
Aug 10, 2019 12:47pm
Thread
Speedball #1 and a steady hand
Reply to: #978229 by LROSEM
Aug 10, 2019 1:35pm
Thread
Thanks for the information; much appreciated.
Reply to: #978178 by Topcollector
Aug 10, 2019 7:18pm
Thread
I use all three a needle, an exacto and a Gorge. It just depending on what I'm trying to do.
I prefer to reverse the V on my #1 gorge and I use a #18 or 20 gauge needle bevel. I started with an exacto. I cut through many a piece of PZ Cut learning that less is more.
Different ones work better on different mediums or for different effects. Don't be afraid to experiment.
Some of the mediums should be frozen to firm them up. Some should be heated up to soften them up. It just depends on what you're trying to do. There's more than one way to carve a quality image.
Practice makes perfect... Just like Grandad said.
Reply to: #978056 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Aug 10, 2019 8:46pm
Thread
What's all this I hear about carving patients! Isn't enough that they are already sick in the hospital? Why cutting them up would just make matters even worse!
Reply to: #978237 by Miss Emily Litella
Aug 10, 2019 8:46pm
Thread
Emily, Emily!

People are not carving on sick people in the hospital! These people are able to accept or tolerate delays, problems, or suffering without becoming annoyed or anxious! Patience Emily with a “ce” at the end not a “ts”. Patience Emily, patience!
Reply to: #978238 by Chevy Chase
Aug 10, 2019 8:48pm
Thread
Oh, that's different!

Never mind!
Reply to: #978236 by T REX
Aug 11, 2019 4:59pm
Thread
Doesn't Mother Nature use weather to gouge the earth away to make a gorge?

;-)

Lynn