Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: Mastercarve lot on eBay
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #976008 by west dover quidditch team
Jun 6, 2019 5:54pm
Thread
I could see no dimensions on the ebay listing

4 X 6 X .75

Not my medium of choice, but thought there might be folks who might be interested.

Warrior Woman
just the ‘trying to be helpful’ messenger
Reply to: #976017 by Warrior Woman
Jun 6, 2019 6:38pm
Thread
That's a good size for folks who like to carve soft stuff then.
a word of warning ... its so soft its make pink stuff seem like white stuff.
Reply to: #976008 by west dover quidditch team
Jun 6, 2019 8:30pm
Thread
this is too small a surface for most of my carves

I wonder if the king of microcarves, Komodo Jazz, would be interested in your stash.

Warrior Woman
knows a guy
Reply to: #975988 by Maude
Jun 6, 2019 10:10pm
Thread
I used to love MasterCarve. What you *don't* want to use it for is any image with fine positive lines, because those are narrow pointed ridges on the stamp that easily get damaged with a material this soft. However, if your plan involves images with broad inked areas, this is the stuff for you!

Actually thinking about buying it. I would if I were doing more carving lately.
Reply to: #976027 by Kirbert
Jun 7, 2019 4:41am
Thread
Even if it's never been opened it could still be dried out after all these years. I bought some of that polymer stuff in the store once and it was totally dried out in the package. It must have been there a long time.

I think everything has a shelf life.
Do you have any messed up stamps?
Jun 10, 2019 2:02pm
Thread
Did you carve a stamp, mess it up, and recarve it?

Do you have a stamp that was damaged, so you recarved and replaced it?

I am looking for any carves that clearly have mistakes. My thinking is that is would be neat to have a series of oopsies for the Strictly Nightboxing 4 event.

The theme is Things we are afraid of, and I know that I am sometimes afraid of messing up a carve.

I have a couple of stamps that I would like to include, and I thought that his series would:
A) add something different to the event and
B) encourage searchers who might be hesitant to carve to know that most of us do make mistakes.

Please let me know if you have anything to contribute that you would not need back. Here is the stamp request for the event with specifics of what will happen with the stamps after the event.

Thank you for reading this!
Re: Do you have any messed up stamps?
Reply to: #976179 by RDHG
Jun 10, 2019 8:00pm
Thread
How about one that went horribly wrong and people laughed at it? Even though I don’t think it was THAT bad, I redid it.
Reply to: #976212 by Trishee
Jun 11, 2019 1:41am
Thread
Yes! That would be great. As long as it is family friendly, I would appreciate having it. I will send you the mailing address. Thank you!
Reply to: #976222 by RDHG
Jun 11, 2019 6:43pm
Thread
Whaaat? Of course it’s family friendly. Do you know me from Facebook or something? Lol. I’ll send it soon.
Cricut , scanncut and pink stuff
Jun 17, 2019 4:04pm
Anyone ever cut pink stuff with a SNC or cricut ?
Carving Tools
Jun 21, 2019 3:41pm
Thread
Greetings all....I have recently lost my carving tools. I had them in my letterboxing backpack which fell off of my trike while we were riding through Colorado. I need to replace them but I cannot find the older carving tools from Germany on the internet any longer.

If anyone has carving tools they are no longer using and would like to sell them...please contact me!!

Wolf Dancer
Re: Carving Tools
Reply to: #976533 by Wolf Dancer
Jun 22, 2019 12:53am
Thread
Bummer! I don't have any extras - but speedball has been very good to me :>.
Calling all carvers....Help - I have no carving skills
Jun 27, 2019 6:40am
Thread
Hi All - I am bringing letter boxing to a rural community in Illinois next week. My mother in-law is celebrating her 80th birthday and I would like to plant a letterbox in honor of her parents. I have a drawing of the stamp I'd like to plant. It's straightforward.....not a ton of detail.
Would anyone be able to carve it in the next couple of days if I provided the drawing? Thank you.
Cookie Puss
Duluth, GA
Re: Calling all carvers....Help - I have no carving skills
Reply to: #976737 by Cookie Puss
Jun 27, 2019 9:40am
Thread
Can you post the picture? :)
Help, First Carving Class Anxiety!
Jul 6, 2019 12:49pm
Thread
Anyone have suggestions on a carving class in terms of images or other suggestions? A friend is asking me to run a class in their art studio for either adults or older kids (or both!)... While I like to carve, the thought of running a class is giving me anxiety!

I'm thinking giving those that register some options to pick from so that I can prep the pink stuff ahead of time! maybe with their initials or something...

and don't get me started thinking about mounting whatever they carve...

help!
Re: Help, First Carving Class Anxiety!
Reply to: #977008 by 20eyes
Jul 6, 2019 1:16pm
Thread
When I do "intro to carving" workshops, I have a lot of simple images printed out so newbies can pick something appropriate to carve. I usually just fish around for a bunch of cute animals online. Here's an example of a bunch of simple images:

Sample stamps

You can mention that lots of folks mount stamps on foam, but you probably don't need to worry about doing the mounting. The image transfer and carving will be plenty to do!

Good luck!
Reply to: #977009 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Jul 6, 2019 2:11pm
Thread
OH - I also start with very small squares of pink stuff with simple smiley faces or hearts drawn on them (really small - like 1 inch) - to let everyone practice with the gougers and see how it feels to carve before they dig into their actual stamps. I give two pieces to each person so they can see the difference between carving out all the black and carving out all the pink leaving the black.
Jul 6, 2019 4:53pm
Thread
When I buy my carving material, currently TanZ from Stampeaz, I go ahead and mount the entire 6x9 sheet of material onto a 1/4" hobby foam sheet using spray on headliner adhesive. Then as I cut out blocks for individual stamps they already have the backing foam.
Reply to: #977011 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Jul 6, 2019 5:04pm
Thread
That's a really good idea actually. It's easier to carve intaglio than relief, so I agree to give bold simple pictures and encouraging "details carved out but the stamp mostly inked" since it's easier than the reverse.
Jul 6, 2019 5:17pm
Thread
Did you look at the Carving Tutorial here on AQ? It is step by step and may help with lingo, transfers, etc.
Reply to: #977017 by christmas6
Jul 6, 2019 9:15pm
Thread
That's a good suggestion. I will review what's there... I'm big on the transfer from blue printed transparencies myself. The funny thing is I've carved several stamps but am having trouble putting together how to! particularly when it comes to selecting the images for others...
Reply to: #977019 by 20eyes
Jul 6, 2019 10:07pm
Thread
Most of my artsy students wanted to draw their own. Then it was a simple matter of doing a pencil transfer and setting it w/ Stazon ink. Those indifferent to their images stamping backward drew directly onto the material. We talked about how they had to consider positive/negative space and which part of the image to leave and which to carve out, and about moving the material rather than the tool, and I had them practice on scraps to get a feel for the gouges before committing to an image they were invested in -- in particular how to control the depth of the cut and noting that a gouge is cutting two edges at once.

For super simplicity, silhouetted images are an obvious choice. Animals were far and away the most popular.

I had a couple pages of smaller images of varying difficulty (but still pretty manageable for newbs) that I printed on a laser printer. I brought acetone/cotton balls for those.
Reply to: #977011 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Jul 7, 2019 2:38pm
Thread
I teach carving to 4th grade up Girl Scouts. I usually give them a 2 inch square of paper and a pencil and get them to draw their own image - lately I have had several place the paper over an image on their phones and trace them, which has worked well. I have terrible luck trying to transfer from laser or ink jet, so I only teach the trace and burnish method, so I have 2 inch square blanks cut. When sending out my preclass note, I often tell them they can bring their own line-art in 2 inch square size and we transfer to the block with pencil - not many people do this, I expect the leaders do not tell the girls, but in your situation they might be more apt to do it. I do not bother to teach mounting, if I can get them to carve an image they are happy with I feel I have succeeded, but also take my audience into consideration.

However, I love the idea of giving them small stamps to try the positive and negative concept! I think I will adopt that idea for my next class!

Other suggestions - keep the class size small if you are working by yourself. I stress how to hold the gouge and always point it away from you (but have plenty of band aides on hand, teens seem to have a problem with that) safety is important. I also have cardboard lunch trays I give each girl to keep everything together including shavings. And have a number of simple samples to show helps too.

I have also tried to use safety gouges with the girls and to date that has not been successful. Part of the problem is I generally have classes of 20+ girls but have 3 or more helpers circulating to help - all of them learned with a regular gouge and were not proficient with the safety gouges.

Good luck. For the most part my classes have all been fun and all of us enjoyed it!

LL
Reply to: #977034 by Lowland Lass
Jul 7, 2019 3:54pm
Thread
When we have taught letterboxing to Girl Scouts it is usually in the spring and covers kindergarten brought 5th graders. In my experience, the youngest scouts pay more attention and do fine with regular gouges. Older girls (10-11 years old) need the bandaids because they ignore the safety warnings. 😀

We get about 15-20 girls for a 45 minute block of time for carving (and then they go letterbox for 45 minutes afterwards). During the first block of time they make a logbook with 5 index cards, trace their eraser and draw an image, and carve a stamp. With older scouts I explain the two ways to carve an image (I have a sample eraser carve of the same image that is two-sided with positive on one side and negative on the other). Given the limited time the girls just carve away the pencil lines they burnished on their eraser.
Reply to: #977019 by 20eyes
Jul 8, 2019 4:10am
Thread
what is "transfer from blue printed transparencies"?
Reply to: #977061 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Jul 8, 2019 6:01am
Thread
My method for carving computer based images is to bring the image into a painting program, increase the contrast and posterize to two tones but rather than black and white to make them blue and white.

Then print from an ink jet printer on a piece of clear transparency, like the overhead projector kind and rub to transfer on rubber material (like the pink stuff).

I remember some advice to use a light-ish shade of blue instead of black so that the ink doesn't smudge upon transfer.
Reply to: #977070 by 20eyes
Jul 8, 2019 7:15am
Thread
I'll have to try that. I used parchment paper.
Reply to: #977070 by 20eyes
Jul 8, 2019 1:43pm
Thread
I remember some advice to use a light-ish shade of blue instead of black so that the ink doesn't smudge upon transfer.

I have a five-cartridge Canon inkjet printer: Cyan, magenta, yellow, and black, all smaller cartridges, and one great big black cartridge. Apparently the two blacks are different, one is dye and one pigment or something like that. Whatever, if I print in black the image won't transfer at all. Printing in blue it transfers fine. For that reason, I have advised that anyone having trouble getting an inkjet image to transfer should try it in blue instead of black. I use cheap aftermarket inkjet cartridges from 4inkjets.com, if that makes a difference.
Reply to: #977103 by Kirbert
Jul 8, 2019 7:41pm
Thread
That's interesting. We have an HP D7200 and it is a bit old and clunky but black smudges in transfer. Blue does just fine, though it has to be just the right shade to show up clearly, and I let it dry overnight, otherwise the gouge takes the ink off as it passes near by. Probably your tips and advice that started me on the carving path after 2mnyshuz dragged me hunting a long time ago... always meant to seek out the modified gouges after the staedtlers stopped being made...
Reply to: #977117 by 20eyes
Jul 9, 2019 1:31am
Thread
black smudges in transfer. Blue does just fine, though it has to be just the right shade to show up clearly...

Yeah, that's too much ink. When printing black, the inkjet really piles it on, and on any medium that doesn't absorb it, it'll smear something awful. When you choose a color, the printer is more judicious about how much ink it applies. When I did things that way, I got very careful about exactly how dark the color needed to be to transfer without smearing.

Now I use Inkscape, which allows more options. I tell it to use a solid blue, which would smear like crazy normally. But with Inkscape I can also select the entire image and choose a line width, and I choose a line width that is soooo narrow that very little ink is applied and it doesn't smear. What I use is generally 0.350 pixels line width, if anyone wants to try it. The result is a reliable transfer with the narrowest possible lines, they look like hair width on the rubber. Note: Can't include any solid areas in this scheme, it would just make a mess. Solid areas just need to be outlined in the transferred image. If I think I may have trouble remembering which areas get cut out, I'll draw X's on those areas.