A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: Staedtler Mastercarve Tool Set set of 3 tools
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #973743 by Sonoran Tree
Apr 2, 2019 4:14pm
Thread
They come up periodically on Stampeaz or on ebay.

You can always have Kirbert modify a speedball #1 as well. I have seen and sharpened them and they aren't bad.

Lynn
Re: Blue stuff?
Reply to: #973055 by Explorin Orren
Apr 3, 2019 4:32am
Thread
Yea, can I put in an order too?

BB
Reply to: #973055 by Explorin Orren
Apr 5, 2019 9:27am
Thread
Update on travels and blue stuff - haven’t found Factis yet but found another blue stuff in Munich at idee. der creativmarkt —it is Paper poetry brand here I did find a site (in English) that sells Factis but no shipping to states, but it does say there is a store in Berlin! alas we are not going to Berlin :( the website is modulor
Hoping those links work! We have one more city to visit so will check there also, one can always hope!
Reply to: #973821 by Explorin Orren
Apr 5, 2019 10:28am
Thread
Hoping those links work!

Well, yes and no. On the first one, I can *see* the blue stuff, but I don't see any way to get more information on it! I can't even see how you'd order it, presumably if you're in an area they ship to.

On that second link, the price on that Factis stuff doesn't look bad. 10,5 Euros for an 8" x 11" piece is a better price than we can typically get on pink stuff stateside, I believe. Of course, shipping would be added.
Reply to: #973825 by Kirbert
Apr 5, 2019 11:32am
Thread
here’s link to idee. site but its in German. The packaging also has very little info on it.
Reply to: #973831 by Explorin Orren
Apr 5, 2019 1:40pm
Thread
That stuff's a lot more expensive than the Factis.
Apr 5, 2019 5:20pm
Thread
We have one more city to visit so will check there also, one can always hope!

My offer to re-imburse you for a sheet (and shipping) still stands if you can grab some.
Kirbert's Dandy Work Review
Apr 19, 2019 4:01pm
Thread
;-)

Hey. So I posted a video of me carving with Kirbert's miniature gouge on the Stamp Carver's Facebook page. But if you don't have Facebook, I also posted a video on my Etsy shop. If you scroll down to the bottom of my shop page you will see a video of me using his miniature gouge and by extension you see my Etsy Shop :-) ...hand trick I did there huh?!

Artsdelight.etsy.com

And if you haven't join the stamp carver's page on Facebook you can find us at...ready for it...Stamp Carvers.
Re: Kirbert's Dandy Work Review
Reply to: #974337 by Linden Leaf
Apr 22, 2019 4:08pm
Thread
I joined the group, posted my first post, and got such a kind response! Thank you for sharing about it. 😃
Looking for carved stamps
Apr 22, 2019 7:24pm
Thread
Hi! I am looking for a few handmade carved stamps that will be planted this summer! Thanks!
Re: Looking for carved stamps
Reply to: #974456 by Turtlegirl88
Apr 23, 2019 12:44am
Thread
Fair request, wrong board. You're looking for the Stamp Swap board:

https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/read.php?boardId=609&startId=971180

Theres also a Stamp Exchange:

https://www.atlasquest.com/toolbox/stampexchange/
Apr 26, 2019 6:08pm
Thread
I found the blue Factis! In France it is available at the store —- Le Géant (des beaux-arts). Website here. It seemed like a great art supply store and looks like there are stores all over France. My daughter is will be in Strasbourg for spring semester 2020 and there is a location there! I’ve already told her she may be shopping for me :-) We travelled with only carry on luggage so shopping was limited, I did pick up a few pieces (which are already spoken for), it added enough weight to bags I’m glad it was the last day of the trip. So if you travel in France look up this store!

I also noted in my online search a store in the UK that has a very similar logo to this French store so I’d look for Great Art in the UK. Website here.

As we were walking up to the store I told my husband that I felt like i had been working on a mystery letterbox. It was like I had been trying to decipher clues and was finally heading to see if it was really there :-) I had taken a screenshot of the Factis from their website so I could show somebody who didn’t speak English what I was looking for, this worked great but she also spoke some English. It was fun to find! Not loggable but a fun find anyway, just wish I had a larger suitcase!
Incomplete Transfer
May 4, 2019 5:33pm
Thread
I just transferred and image for a stamp. I used toner and acetone. However, parts of the image didn't transfer.

What I have done so far is to trace the parts of the image that didn't transfer with pencil then burnish the image where it is supposed to be. The rest of the parts of the image are short enough sections that I will be drawing in the missing sections.

What do you do when you get an incomplete transfer?
Re: Incomplete Transfer
Reply to: #974846 by Oberon_Kenobi
May 4, 2019 5:36pm
Thread
If more than twenty-five percent or more of the image did not transfer well, particularly if that portion is highly detailed, I wipe the image off of the material with acetone, then try again. Otherwise, I do what you are doing for the most part. One time I did try to do a portion of an acetone transfer to go over the section that was missing, this had limited effectiveness, thus my tendency to start over.
Reply to: #974847 by FORAYCH
May 4, 2019 11:04pm
Thread
Same here. If it’s a small enough section that I can just hand draw it in, I do. But usually I just use acetone to clean the medium and re-transfer. I will also re-do it if it comes out too ‘muddy’.
May 5, 2019 7:16am
Thread
If I have concerns about the transfer being complete, I will just lift part of the paper to check, leaving the paper in position. Then I can wet with more acetone in spots where needed before removing the paper image.
Reply to: #974862 by Kiss'n Karin
May 5, 2019 12:03pm
Thread
If I have concerns about the transfer being complete, I will just lift part of the paper to check, leaving the paper in position. Then I can wet with more acetone in spots where needed before removing the paper image.

I thoroughly wet the paper, but I got holes in the transfer. I haven't had good results re-wetting the same transfer with more acetone. It doesn't seem to transfer any more toner, and just smears the toner that was already transferred.
Reply to: #974877 by Oberon_Kenobi
May 5, 2019 2:43pm
Thread
I use very little acetone to start with... perhaps that is the difference for me????
Reply to: #974877 by Oberon_Kenobi
May 5, 2019 2:47pm
Thread
You can't use the same copy of the image again. To make the transfer again you have to use a new image with "fresh" toner so to speak. When you do a transfer you "use up" the toner and it is gone. I go to a copying place to make copies so I always get 3 copies just in case.

If you keep the image on the carving material too long it kind of .....hard to explain....."returns" to the paper. Not the right way to put it but.....lay the image down, rub the acetone over the image and when you see it through the paper just leave it there for a *few* seconds and then lift the paper off at one corner.

And some images just don't transfer well no matter what you do. It's a mystery I have not solved.

I've also starting getting copies made on the matte paper they use to copy photos. It transfers better and at least at the place I go to they don't charge much more for that paper as opposed to regular copier paper.
Reply to: #974885 by MissMoon
May 5, 2019 5:41pm
Thread
I change the printer setting to the highest DPI or quality level. More ink is laid down on the paper and I usually get a better transfer. I do wet lightly the first time, pick up an edge to "peek" and then can add more acetone to transfer more ink from that first printing.
May 5, 2019 6:39pm
Thread
Do you clean you carving material before attempting a transfer? I don't have any problems with my transfers, but I know other people that do. I wash my block with soap and water or give it a quick wipe with acetone before I try to transfer. Then, I use just enough acetone to wet the paper enough to make it slightly transparent, but not any excess.
Carving letters
May 7, 2019 9:49pm
Thread
Found this on Instagram and thought I’d share:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/9ddcf6d6-a00f-414c-bc42-a278fd6678c5.png

I aspire to this... oh who am I kidding. But a boy can dream, can’t he? 😄
Re: Carving letters
Reply to: #974987 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
May 8, 2019 11:45am
Thread
I have a long way to go to get my background - area removed so smoothly. Forget about the lettering............
Reply to: #975015 by condo
May 8, 2019 1:08pm
Thread
That’s exactly what I asked them on Instagram. Haven’t heard back yet.
May 8, 2019 9:50pm
Thread
I'd want to know scale of the letters...size and font make a difference.

Now getting the background so smooth, that would be cool to learn!
Reply to: #975040 by FORAYCH
May 8, 2019 10:18pm
Thread
That’s true. The carver had a comment that led me to believe that it was a commission for a business card.
May 9, 2019 6:36am
Thread
LOLAM. I zoomed in searching for flaws. hahahaha!

and DZ&ECP...You're there!
May 9, 2019 4:01pm
Thread
I have never seen a background so clean. Makes me wonder if it is carved via machine of some kind.
Reply to: #975071 by Phoenix Rizing
May 9, 2019 4:51pm
Thread
I have never seen a background so clean. Makes me wonder if it is carved via machine of some kind.

Nope, she’s just that awesome. You can find videos of her in action. She sells a lot apparently. Here a pic of one of her offerings:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/2676ce98-eec5-4cf1-90c0-e25055c18012.png
She carves the stamps. Uses a jigsaw to cut the wood - then sands and rounds the edges. She even hand makes to boxes!

Here’s one of the tools she uses:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/e7c3cb62-8910-401b-8f17-e60578ad771b.png

Check this out! She says 9hrs carving over 3 days...
https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/3b7df7f1-a9ef-4883-b688-908471826166.png
Reply to: #975024 by Wise Wanderer
May 9, 2019 6:13pm
Thread
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CassaStamps?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=672181648

It looks like the carving material is very thick. That's probably why she is able to carve the background so far down from the image. The thicker it is the "higher" she can make the edge of the image from the background. There's also some pink material but it looks thicker that the stuff we use.