A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: How long does it take you?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #971327 by Maude
Feb 11, 2019 7:15pm
Thread
I tend to use harder material for the "best" stamps, and softer stuff for the smaller, simpler ones.

I use the soft material for stamps that have large inked areas. I use hard material for when there are few inked areas.
Reply to: #971336 by Kirbert
Feb 11, 2019 7:18pm
Thread
The idea of putting a couple of hours into a silly little piece of rubber only to accidentally hack a key piece out of it or turn a letter around backwards or some such just feels like it's not worth the risk.

I've been able to glue in a piece that I should not have cut out. I've done it multiple times. I don't know if others have noticed these patches, but I have. FYI, I use E-6000 to glue them back in because it remains a little flexible.

I have one stamp where I carved a letter backwards. It was one that I did a toner transfer too, so I shouldn't have messed it up. Since it was one of the Ns in BANANA, I decided to leave it.
Reply to: #971339 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 11, 2019 7:40pm
Thread
1-3 hours for each LTC sized stamp, depending on the complexity.

That's probably about right for me too. It definitely depends on complexity.

My longest carve (to that point) is of a lighthouse, Minot's Ledge Light. It must have taken at least 10 hours over 5 days. It is an excellent carve, except that the top of the lighthouse is crooked. I used it for two LTC trackers, but they didn't have the same participants (except for me).

However, after that I carved another that took me longer. It was of the "Snow Business" episode of Simon's Cat. The frame was when the cat was poised to start the throw of the first snowball at the bird. I captured as much detail in the frame as I could, which was most of it. This one was maybe 15 hours. The carve is slightly larger than the 2½"×3½" card because I wanted it stamping edge-to-edge.

Those long carves take time, but they are worth it.
Reply to: #971322 by RDHG
Feb 11, 2019 8:21pm
Thread
About how long on average does it take you to carve one stamp?

Probably too long! :)

I most likely am in the slower category of carvers, but I have done detailed inchies in an hour and 5" x 5" stamps that took over 40+ hours. I probably am slower because I am careful, like Kirbert mentions, because I take on more and more difficult carves AND I don't do redos. Mistakes just become part of the work.

A great rule of thumb for speed of carving is...take as long as you want to feel like you are proud of your effort and work!

Challenging yourself for more and more detail can be great for some, and joy sucking for others. Carving fast may be easy for some and painful (literally - I tend to gouge my skin when going too fast) for others. Go at the pace you feel comfortable and find joy in the work!

Jeff
Reply to: #971353 by FORAYCH
Feb 12, 2019 1:59am
Thread
Also note: Some of us are gouge carvers and some of us are hobby knife carvers. Hobby knife carving generally takes longer than gouge carving. In fact, we once had a post where someone suggested that more people should learn how to gouge carve because they'd end up carving more stamps and hence we'd have more boxes to hunt!
Feb 12, 2019 11:39am
Thread
For me, it really depends on the stamp.. if it's a fairly simple stamp, I usually can finish in an hour or so.. any longer and I usually stop for a while.. (I've broken a couple of fingers in the past) because I'll start making multiple mistakes if I don't..
Seeking Seven More Stamps, Please.
Feb 12, 2019 11:44am
Thread
I cannot find my original post, so I am reposting rather than updating. If anybody would like to carve a stamp or a few for a homeschool, letterboxing education event, please see the tracker. We only need seven more. Thank you!

https://www.atlasquest.com/toolbox/stampexchange/details.php?exchangeId=1299
Re: Seeking Seven More Stamps, Please.
Reply to: #971379 by RDHG
Feb 12, 2019 12:35pm
Thread
Hi, RDHG,

Since I'm a retired homeschool mom (4 graduates), I would especially love to help with this project. It was through a fellow homeschooler that I first learned about LBing! If still needed, I'll take Ben the Dog. Any kind of dog will do? And I'll try Ceclia the Toucan, too. Also, I recognize your name (and Super Hedge Hoggie, too) so I think you're in NC as I am. I do not see on your post where you want the stamp mailed. And is your event on 3/7? Or is that the deadline to get it to you?

Evelyn for the BEJays
Reply to: #971378 by Only Dreaming
Feb 12, 2019 12:38pm
Thread
Wait, what!? You’ve broken fingers carving stamps?

🙀
Re: Seeking FIVE More Stamps, Please.
Reply to: #971381 by BEJAYS
Feb 12, 2019 1:11pm
Thread
Thank you two times! I sent you AQ Mail and updated the list. Yay!
Feb 12, 2019 6:02pm
Thread
That’s a tricky question to answer. If I’m doing a simple carve such as a pictograph or one of my lighthouse stamps, I can whip through one of those in 10-20 minutes. If I’m doing an intricate one or anything with lettering, then everything is slowed down and I might be working for hours. Size of stamp has nothing to do with it, smaller may take longer do to detail.
Reply to: #971359 by Kirbert
Feb 13, 2019 9:14am
Thread
... they'd end up carving more stamps and hence we'd have more boxes to hunt!

You misspelled "hence have a taller pile of Lock-and-Locks that need to be planted."
Feb 14, 2019 1:27am
Thread
I don’t really time myself, because I feel that if I do then it would depress me and maybe make it harder to find motivation to start. I just kind of wait for an open night when my health is good enough, enjoy the process, and binge-carve until I am done. It has given me many opportunites to see the sun rise! :P I am working on a series right now that has messed up my sleep schedule. Based on that, I think the stamps have been about 9hrs from when I start the transferring process to end. I tend to not take breaks and hyperfocus (the one good symptom of ADHD).

My transferring method is slow (pencil on tracing, rub, go over with fine marker, wash pencil off, mustard ink), but I feel it gives me better flexibility on customizations, etc. I use the pink stuff, so that is quicker from what I am reading here. I am mostly a knife carver, but use gouges for cetain thing and find many of my stamps now use both (but in that case it just tends to be use of the 1V Miniturized for shading). So really, there are ways to speed up my carving, but the #11 knife gives me the results I want for what I am going for. I keep trying to do gouges where I can, but I don’t like them for the insides of corners and such. Also, I prefer to feel like a surgeon. ;)
Reply to: #971435 by AlishaMisha
Feb 14, 2019 1:57am
Thread
What is mustard ink?

I only know how to use gouges. When you use a knife, do you cut from multiple angles to get the rubber out?
Reply to: #971436 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 2:17am
Thread
Sorry, I was being short with my wording. I use Staz-on in the color of mustard to seal my marker lines in and see what I am carving away. I press my stamp onto a paper towel several times to get the excess off.

Yeah, so say you are looking at the rubber from the thin side. Imagine the * is a black line or something. Another words, I am not carving that part away. I angle my knife like this on each side of it to give the black line better structure (or “supporting rubber”): /*\ Then I go in again at another angle to get the rubber out, so like this: \ /*\ / I also stab the loose rubber with the tip of the knife to lift it out of the stamp and use my pinky to flick it off into a small “lock-n-lock” type container I keep (to make less mess).

Did any of that make sense or was it completely confusing?
What do you use to mount a stamp?
Feb 15, 2019 8:18pm
Thread
It have a stamp that is on the larger side, almost four inches. It has a piece that sticks out and that I am concerned may be broken if someone is careless. What is something that I can use to mount this stamp that will be firm and not curl?

TIA for any helpful suggestions. 🙂
Re: What do you use to mount a stamp?
Reply to: #971521 by RDHG
Feb 15, 2019 8:22pm
Thread
I like foam board.
Feb 15, 2019 8:43pm
Thread
I use thick foam I get at Michaels. You can also get it on Stampeaz
Feb 15, 2019 8:53pm
Thread
Our puppy started to chew on our signature stamp. I glued thick foam to the back then glued a heavy piece of plexiglas behind it.
Feb 16, 2019 4:58am
Thread
I use wood. I saw and sand a square of wood and mount it on that with super glue or the like. I just got some nice skinny pieces at Home Depot (because I'd used up all my scraps in the garage and the remaining wood was too thick). ;)
Reply to: #971535 by Basset Mom
Feb 16, 2019 6:02am
Thread
I have mounted small stamps on wood, too! But you have to be careful with bigger stamps, the thickness of whatever glue you're using can make it lumpy underneath, and then it won't stamp evenly. Be sure your glue is even.
Feb 16, 2019 6:40am
Thread
definitely foam. tried wood, but I found, particularly with firmer material, that the image frequently had gaps in the image transferred to the paper.
Reply to: #971535 by Basset Mom
Feb 16, 2019 7:03am
Thread
I have found most wood backed stamps seem to warp in the weather and often make it difficult to get a good image, especially larger stamps.
Reply to: #971550 by Kiss'n Karin
Feb 16, 2019 1:33pm
Thread
If your wood warps, you used the wrong wood. Use oak.

If your stamped image has gaps in it, you forgot to include a layer of foam between the rubber and the wood. Something soft like pipe insulation tape is called for.
Feb 17, 2019 12:15am
Thread
After the suggestion of several of you, I bought foam to mount some stamps. Then I was not sure what to use as an adhesive. I bought and used Gorilla Glue. It seems to gift up when it dries. What do you use?
Reply to: #971620 by RDHG
Feb 17, 2019 1:47am
Thread
Feb 17, 2019 2:44am
Thread
I use gorilla glue. Just be sure to use a THIN layer. They mean it.
Feb 17, 2019 4:54am
Thread
I've used Gorilla glue and it seemed to work at first, but then I got reports of the foam coming off the stamps. I switched to E6000 and love it. I think that's my go-to glue now.
Feb 17, 2019 7:09am
Thread
What do you use to mount a stamp?

I assume this is all accomplished with the consent of the stamp
Reply to: #971621 by Kirbert
Feb 17, 2019 3:01pm
Thread
I agree with Kirbert, if your wood warps it’s the wrong kind of wood. I have a sheet of some thin pressboard that works great. Doublesided tape insures even pressings.