A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: Mounting a stamp for a child
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #969652 by Maude
Dec 25, 2018 11:46am
Thread
I like to mount my stamps on 1/2 foam, I found a piece of foam laying by the road to my home, it is that alphabet letter, square, that is for a floor. It is flat on the bottom and textured on the top, I use lock-tite glue that seems to work really well. I always cut it to fit the stamp..with very little overhang.
Re: Mounting a stamp for a child
Reply to: #969640 by Munkeybee
Dec 26, 2018 9:00pm
Thread
Thank you everyone! This is super helpful! I didn't think to put foam between the stamp and wood block if I go that route. I'll be going to the craft store this weekend! :)
Gray-Z
Dec 27, 2018 6:21pm
Today I finished putting together my first micro-postal. I've received them before, but hadn't yet put one together.

Anyway, I used Gray-Z for the stamp. As I thought, it turned out to be thin enough to be the stamp in a micro-postal. It is also light enough to be sent (along with the logbook) and still be under an ounce.

I finished carving the stamp on Tuesday. Gray-Z is tougher than OZ and Tan-Z. It did separate easier than Tan-Z. Being about half as thin as other carving materials, I had to be a bit careful so that I didn't cut all of the way through. It is also darker and therefore harder to see the lines.

It does seem to hold ink well though, but that may be because I cut thin (1 - 1.5 mm wide) lines, and was careful to press everywhere to pick up and leave ink.

Overall, it seems like a good carving material. Nevertheless, I think that I'll keep it for micro-postals since it doesn't need to be cut thinner for this purpose.
I carve... (à la Clue)
Jan 4, 2019 11:53am
standing up
in the kitchen
under an Ottlite
with speedball carving implements
carving medium question
Jan 14, 2019 9:36pm
Thread
We had to leave the hobby for the better part of 6 years due to "life stuff" and we are now getting back in to it. I want to carve a stamp...I looked in my stash and found 5 kinds of carving materials marked as follows:
1. Mystery C
2. NZ
3. B
4. OZ
5. one slab unmarked but very shiny on both sides.

Anybody remember if any of these are any good? Which one is best?

Or should I buy some new stuff.....and if so, what's the best right now?

Thanks for your help. QM
Re: carving medium question
Reply to: #970339 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Jan 14, 2019 9:48pm
Thread
Welcome back!!

If the "B" is PZKUT - then that is the best piece you have :)

OZ is very firm, but keeps good detail.
NZ a lower level OZ, but a number of people liked it.
Mystery C - I found very stretchy if it is the same stuff you have.
Very shiny on both sides, sounds like OZ to me, but maybe someone else knows that one.
Jan 15, 2019 2:06am
Thread
You MUST buy new... and send all your old stuff to me right away... lol

Depending on your hand strength - and carving style... they will still be good to carve on. But they will all feel different when carving them. And then - what Jeff said :)
Jan 15, 2019 5:46am
Thread
I think the shiny one is Firmcut. I personally hated the stuff. Like the name implies, it felt like I was carving a brick. OZ was nice, but I could never get a great transfer like I do onto Pink. I think NZ is the one where the gouge lines didn't want to pop out, had to end a cut by starting at the end and meeting in the middle to get a clean line.

Both OZ and PZ had a "B" grade. If it's OZ just use it. If you bought PZ, put it on ebay and it will fund your carving for quite awhile!
Jan 15, 2019 10:41am
Thread
Welcome Back! What a happy day to see your trail name!
Jan 15, 2019 12:06pm
Thread
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input.
Jan 16, 2019 11:43am
Thread
This list all looks like it came from Stampeaz. The responses you have gotten already have been pretty spot on, but here's the official list.

1. Mystery C - was a mistake at the factory that came out rubbery and I thought it was difficult to carve on, which was why I graded it as "C" and sold it for really cheap. I used some of it as simple background stamps that didn't require much detail and that was pretty much all it was good for.
2. NZ Kut, as people have noted was the iteration before OZ. A little more elastic than OZ, but still takes good detail. If you sand it before doing your transfer, it will take both the transfer and the printing ink better.
3. B sounds like an old block of PZ Kut. I believe I always identified which material I was grading after PZ Kut went away, so OZ would have been marked OZ-B.
4. OZ still had a little elasticity and release issues, but held detail well and, if sanded before you do your transfer should hold ink without much difficulty.
5. Really shiny on both sides sounds like Firm Kut. It was my first try at a new formulation after PZ Kut was wrenched from my little webbed feet. It's pretty firm, definitely requires sanding before use and needs some patience to work with, but I've been able to do some amazingly detailed carvings with it.

Currently, I've got Tan-Z Kut. It's still a bit firmer than PZ Kut, but not as elastic as the other tries I've made at reformulation, so cuts release better. I like it pretty well and it seems to do well with most inks. I still always sand before transfer, but I think that helps any block. If you want to look at responses from my various testers when I was developing the stuff, the final tests start on my (recently much neglected) blog here: Tan-Z Sample Results Round 1. There are several other posts after that in fairly quick succession, if you want to see some amazing carvings and read about the various tests it was put through.

I hope that's helpful. :)

Webfoot
Reply to: #970359 by Webfoot
Jan 16, 2019 1:12pm
Thread
Thank you Webfoot! Very helpful! Yes, they did all come from Stampeaz......I hope to try some of that Tan-Z cut soon :)

QM
Reply to: #970359 by Webfoot
Jan 16, 2019 7:37pm
Thread
I see that there is still some Gray-Z still left. It is thin enough to work for micro-postals. When you make another run of Tan-Z it would be useful to have some material as thin as Gray-Z.
Reply to: #970375 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 17, 2019 4:35pm
Thread
I see that there is still some Gray-Z still left. It is thin enough to work for micro-postals. When you make another run of Tan-Z it would be useful to have some material as thin as Gray-Z.

Duly noted. I will see if I can get a little bit in the half thickness next time around, without having to buy a full ton and a half of it. :)
bought Pfeil's L 12/1
Jan 20, 2019 2:14pm
Thread
Like the subject says, I finally gave in and ordered Pfeil's L12/1. I follow a few linocutting artists and there are a lot of people who really like their stuff. I want the finest v gouge that I can possibly get - I've been working with Speedball, in fact, a Speedball linocut set I've borrowed from a friend, ages ago. I'm really excited to get it and try it out! What do you guys work with? I looked into flexcut too, but it sounds like their blades move a bit, which I don't want.
Re: bought Pfeil's L 12/1
Reply to: #970481 by coldsnap
Jan 20, 2019 2:36pm
Thread
I carve a ton if linocuts and relief prints using pink. My number one gouge is still a speedball #1. To me, the only important thing is that they are well sharpened and honed regularly. I do have woodcutting tools and a miniaturized Staedtler too. I haven't tried Pfeil's.

You can check out my artwork on the following pages.

https://www.facebook.com/SpeckledRoseCrafts/?ref=profile_intro_card

https://www.instagram.com/laurasroses/
Reply to: #970482 by LROSEM
Jan 20, 2019 2:56pm
Thread
Those are beautiful stamps!
Jan 20, 2019 4:13pm
Thread
I have a Flexcut and I love it. I use a variety of gouges depending but the Flex has become my go-to tool. No slipping for me. I wrote s write up here:

https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.php?msgId=942720

The links to the pics are broken but the photos can be found in the toolbox here:

https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.php?albumId=4518

I hope you post a review after you’ve had a chance to use the Pheil a bit!

DZ
Reply to: #970483 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 20, 2019 4:23pm
Thread
Thank you. :)
Reply to: #970483 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 20, 2019 4:48pm
Thread
Those are beautiful stamps!

The carve she did of my daughter and son-in-law is amazing!!
Reply to: #970488 by Rocklun
Jan 20, 2019 5:52pm
Thread
And she did my amazing sig stamp!
Reply to: #970482 by LROSEM
Jan 20, 2019 6:11pm
Thread
I had my speedball for a while. How do you guys sharpen your tools?
Reply to: #970492 by condo
Jan 20, 2019 8:21pm
Thread
How do you guys sharpen your tools?

Kirbert has written up a pretty good tutorial.
Jan 21, 2019 1:53am
Thread
Jan 21, 2019 2:01am
Thread
I looked into flexcut too, but it sounds like their blades move a bit, which I don't want.

Either one will probably take some getting used to, as these lino cutters are designed to be held in the palm for applying enough force to cut lino or wood. Carving rubber doesn't require as much force, so some of us mount Speedball nibs in Speedball pen holders and hold them like a pen when carving.

I don't think the Flexcut moving will be a problem when cutting rubber. It might be an issue cutting wood, but it's such a quality product that I can't imagine it's a problem. It's more likely a feature!

IIRC, the Flexcut nib can be separated from its wooden handle -- which may be a plus for rubber carving. You could either devise a lighter handle or possibly carve with no handle at all.

If you need your new tool modified, I'm available. I have modified a couple of these things, but not many; I can appreciate that someone paying that kinda cash for a new tool isn't anxious to send it off to me to hack it up.
Friday Distraction: How Big Will You Go?
Jan 25, 2019 5:59pm
Thread
In another thread we were discussing some ***LARGE*** linoleum carves. We foot wrote that she has some large sheets of Tan-Z available for price plus shipping.

The questions on the table for discussion are:

1) If commissioned to carve a stamp on your favorite carving material, how big would you be willing to go?

Personally, I probably couldn't stand to do more than a square foot per month for a maximum of 3 or 4 months.

2) If given a piece of your favorite carving material just for this purpose, how large of a letterboxing stamp would you carve and be able to hide?

Personally, I could carve one to fit in an ammo can. I don't have one with me at the moment or at hand in a few minutes, but I think that I could fit a 6" by 12" stamp in that. Depending on detail and time I would be willing to do that. That is if I were given the material for that purpose?

As a side question, what is the largest stamp you have planted or found? The largest I've planted is LTC size. The largest I've found is about 5" by 8", in Morgan County, Utah if you care to look for it.
Re: Friday Distraction: How Big Will You Go?
Reply to: #970669 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 25, 2019 6:42pm
Thread
A large stamp, with a lot of detail to them, are quite a blast to find and create. I have created a 7" x7" stamp and have found a 10" x 10" stamp in the wild.

Creativity will allow for some really good sized carves... imagine the back of a large framed picture hanging on a wall...with a large, yet thin, logbook and stamp, one could go maybe 2' x4'!! Or even bigger. One would probably need to have people bring a brayer, lay the huge stamp on the floor, ink it then put large newsprint paper over it then bray for image. It would be awesome, certainly! Even better would be to recreate the picture that the stamp is hidden behind, or something very similar or related.
Jan 25, 2019 7:56pm
Thread
The Dawnlanders Uprising box in Ninigret Park in R.I. contained a 12” x 12” linoleum stamp of Bob Marley (circa 2003?) that was way cool but it was very tough to get the image stamped clearly (multicolored to boot)

Warrior Woman
found it and had to go back with a giant sheet of paper to get the image
Jan 25, 2019 8:10pm
Thread
I’m of two minds about this. I love big art. See Chuck Close for example:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/fc0030b1-6b72-4cfe-860e-9014fac99c04.jpeg

I thought the whale print was nice and pretty spectacular. But I thought Giralel was too big. As art anyway. It was an amazing feat of carving and printing but it seemed more of a stunt to me than art.

I’d happily carve a monster stamp of, say, ammo box size IF I thought people wouldn’t complain about it being too big for their logbook or if I lived in an area of the country that saw a lot more ‘boxing action.

Carving big for art’s sake is another matter. I’ve considered doing prints for sale. And if I do, I’ll probably carve bigger than LTC size. I do have to admit that carving something large has its appeal. Hmmmm...

I carved a sandwich size stamp once I think, early on, that I put in a LnL.
The largest stamp I’ve found in the wild a magnificent piece by Lost Sailor.
Jan 25, 2019 10:33pm
Thread
These past few months I've been having I desire to carve a large stamp. Something that could fit on a 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper. That size only because it would be easy to store in a binder once it's printed. But I have yet to decide on image.

I have not found any stamps in the wild that are really any bigger than LTC size. I have not planted any stamps any bigger than LTC size. I kind of think trying to hide a stamp that's big could be an interesting task.

If I was commissioned/paid to do a large carving I don't know if I would really have a size limit. But I can't imagine working on one carving for more than a few months. I think I would get bored of it after a while.