A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: New Material Thickness (and Logistics) Question
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #957387 by Wise Wanderer
Mar 1, 2018 1:18am
Thread
I think mounting foam under the material while you carve, would allow too much "give" as you use pressure with your tools.

That's the way I have always carved! In fact, recently I had to resort to carving before mounting for the first time because the Seed material is translucent and having it mounted on black foam makes it too difficult to see the image.
Re: New Material Thickness (and Logistics) Question
Reply to: #957403 by Kirbert
Mar 1, 2018 6:11am
Thread
I agree Kirbert. I find some issues with carving, especially on pink, are solved when you mount the material. The reduced flex of the material lets you adjust tinier details better than when it is unmounted.

The difference of opinions on this may be the result of tabletop carving vs. hand held carving. I am a handheld carver so when I mount it, it has less give. When a tabletop carver mounts on foam and puts it on a table it has more give that the table alone would have.
Re: Transfer methods
Reply to: #957343 by GypsyLadybug
Mar 1, 2018 11:35pm
Thread
That’s exactly how I do it -with great results. A couple of notes:

Acetone is cheap at Home Depot.

And I alway rub the surface of the pink stuff with acetone on a paper towel first. It gives the surface a bit of tack so the image doesn’t move when you are transferring.
Tester Results Round One
Mar 4, 2018 7:30pm
Thread
I just did a blog post for the first four testers whose prints have arrived at my door. I couldn't stand waiting any longer and I thought people might be a little bit curious. If you are, here's the link:

One of Those Really Long Material Testing Posts

Many, many thanks to these first four testers (Baqash, dancing pecan, Linden Leaf and Foraych) who took the time to try the material and do such a fantastic job of giving me honest, detailed feedback. It really helps me with trying to improve the material.
Re: Tester Results Round One
Reply to: #957520 by Webfoot
Mar 4, 2018 9:20pm
Thread
I notice foraych lost detail during stamping as I did. For some reason it was not simple to get an even image mounted or Unmounted.
Reply to: #957523 by Baqash
Mar 5, 2018 6:21am
Thread
I didn't have a problem with that. However my piece was roughly 1.5" x 1", so it was pretty easy for me to apply uniform pressure to it.
Reply to: #957520 by Webfoot
Mar 5, 2018 6:39am
Thread
Awesome! The results sound very promising so far! And those carves are amazing! I'm excited to see such fine details are possible. Thanks to Webfoot and all the testers!
Re: Stamps
Reply to: #957636 by System
Mar 6, 2018 12:38pm
Thread
I find it convenient to have my hometown and homestate as well as my trailname on my stamp.
When you go out and find some letterboxes and see other people's stamps, you'll get even more ideas for your personal stampl
Reply to: #957639 by Wronghat
Mar 6, 2018 1:57pm
Thread
When you go out and find some letterboxes and see other people's stamps, you'll get even more ideas for your personal stampl

I had difficulty coming up with a stamp image. However, I like making and solving puzzles, though it is so frustrating until I figure out how to solve it. Nevertheless, this was the basis for my stamp, a puzzle piece with my trailname inside (and some other features). On my new stamp I have carved my home town and state as well.

So my stamp has nothing to do with my trail name, except it is carved there as well. Pick something you like. You can always change it but you will initially become known by your first stamp.
Reply to: #957643 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 6, 2018 2:30pm
Thread
You can always change it but you will initially become known by your first stamp.

There are only a handful of people who MIGHT be able to tell you what my first stamp was or, for that matter, my first trail name but I often hear that people see my current stamp, my "little lady", in logbooks when they stamp in. I have changed my trail stamp at least ten times in my 15 years of letterboxing. My little lady is my current stamp and has been used the longest.
Reply to: #957645 by Janila
Mar 6, 2018 3:03pm
Thread
I'm still using the first sig stamp I carved in 2004! However, I do wish I had included my trail name and home town. I gets tedious writing that in. 8~P
Reply to: #957647 by Boxer Lover47
Mar 6, 2018 8:12pm
Thread
I'm still using the first sig stamp I carved in 2004! However, I do wish I had included my trail name and home town.

My first stamp was on an eraser. It eventually wore down too much. My second stamp wasn't clear enough so I carved it again, but this time with my town and state.

All of them were the same design though. I just haven't come up with a better design, though I keep trying to do so.
Mar 7, 2018 3:45pm
Thread
You might want to post on the Stamp Swap board.
Carving using a laser cutter
Mar 8, 2018 2:18am
Thread
Has anyone tried this?

If so:
What materials did you use?
What were the results?
Did you have any concerns about possible toxicity of the materials being lasered? (I'd like to try the pink stuff or a polymer eraser, but not sure if it would be a health hazard).

I've tried the grey laser carvable "rubber", and the the images turn out well, but unfortunately the material holds ink like crap. :(

Does anyone have a better success story?
Re: Carving using a laser cutter
Reply to: #957725 by Kentucky_Fried_Ghost
Mar 8, 2018 3:34am
Thread
Yes it's been done. Nathan has done a few - such clean lines! Don't remember what material he used.
Mar 8, 2018 6:41am
Thread
I have used "red" laserable rubber that stamps well if
a foam backing is used.
Mar 8, 2018 11:34am
Thread
Apparently lasering the pink could be a health hazard and possible corrosive to the laser:
www.speedballart.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/383.pdf
Reply to: #957740 by Kiss'n Karin
Mar 8, 2018 12:36pm
Thread
Ah, yes!!! This was exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about. I missed that info about the pink stuff, thank you!
Reply to: #957730 by shooz
Mar 8, 2018 12:39pm
Thread
Thank you so much!!

The specialty material is not cheap, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction so I don't waste more time/money. Which company did you buy the red rubber from?
Reply to: #957740 by Kiss'n Karin
Mar 9, 2018 5:36am
Thread
The link you provided is to the Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). I don't see anything in that to support your statement about the health hazard or being corrosive to the laser.
Mar 9, 2018 6:37am
Thread
What materials did you use?
What were the results?
Did you have any concerns about possible toxicity of the materials being lasered? (I'd like to try the pink stuff or a polymer eraser, but not sure if it would be a health hazard).

I've tried the grey laser carvable "rubber", and the the images turn out well, but unfortunately the material holds ink like crap. :(

Yes! I have a small business on Etsy and my main product is laser engraved stamps. Good quality materials hold ink beautifully - I've sold hundreds of stamps with no complaints about inking.

Here are two good material sources:
https://www.johnsonplastics.com/engraving/engraving-supplies/stamp-supplies/premium-low-odor-laser-rubber
http://www.rubberstampmaterials.com/laserengravablerubberandpolymer.aspx

Some things to be aware of...
- laser engraving rubber stinks badly! Don't do it indoors without good exhaust. "Low odor" rubber is NOT. There is an "odor free" material but I have some concerns with it.
- it makes a great deal of dust - clean the machine frequently. If you are using someone else's machine (like a maker lab) you may want to talk to them first. The dust also clogs up exhaust filters quickly.
- getting the machine settings right can be a nightmare (especially engraving depth). I think rubber is one of the more difficult materials to engrave. Hopefully this isn't an issue if you have already made some images you like!
Reply to: #957760 by Bon Echo
Mar 9, 2018 7:26am
Thread
I can only repeat what my son, who uses a laser in the maker lab where he works, told me concerning the pink stuff:
"Only a small amount of chlorine gas (is released). We have a carbon filtration system that probably collects most of it, but it does cause corrosion to the equipment so is technically not allowed."
Testing - One, Two, Three
Mar 9, 2018 10:16am
Thread
Well, the tan material sample just arrived on my doorstep. It's a hair over 1/8" and cold - very cold, and therefore spending some time coming up to room temperature while I go take the dog out for a walk in the snow. Can you guess what my weekend entertainment is going to be?

This means, that if the sample meets my approval (especially if it beats the gray test material) I'll be looking at another round of tests and looking for another batch of amazing testers. I know that there are a lot of curious knife and gouge wielders out there, but here are my requirements for my merry band of test carvers:

Can you prep, transfer, carve, print and send the result back to me within a week?

Are you willing to put up with the tedium of writing clear and detailed descriptions of your experience with the whole process from preparation of the block to final print? Including positives, negatives and suggestions? I will be using the same prompt form as last time to help get some specific information.

If you can do all this, and you still want to come out and play, please send me an AQ mail with the following info, so that I can get the best cross-section of carving methods for a test, given the number of sample pieces I have available:

• What kind of transfer method do you use with what kind of medium (parchment paper, acetone, wintergreen oil, toner based ink, ink jet, pencil, etc.)?
  • What carving tool(s) do you use?
  • What ink(s) do you use?
  • What's your current (available) carving material of choice (PZ Kut isn't a valid answer, sadly.)?

And believe it or not, I (still) don't have everybody's trail name connected to their mailing address and such, so I'll need that info, too, unless you were in the last batch of testers and are up for more punishment.

I also have two more test results back and will be getting them ready to publish. I thought I might wait for the last one, but it is unavoidably delayed and will be coming soon, but just to round out the information, I may include my opinions with these two tests (thank you Wise Wanderer and nosox!). I still have to scan and prep the images and do a write-up, so I will let you know when something (other than my usual silly ramblings) appears on the blog.

Thank you!

Webfoot
Re: Testing - One, Two, Three
Reply to: #957770 by Webfoot
Mar 9, 2018 1:05pm
Thread
I'd volunteer in a heartbeat, but I don't trust my local pony express to be fast enough :'(
Mar 10, 2018 12:24pm
Thread
For those of you who volunteered to carve stamps for this fellow, you should know that this is SurvivorMan using an alias and I've disabled this newest account of his. He first reared his head maybe five years ago causing all sorts of problems and vandalized boxes. I guess he gave up trying to create phony accounts to get around the ban for awhile, but I guess he's back at it again.

In any case, his ban was permanent, so he won't be replying to anymore messages. Not through this alias, at least. Let me know if he tries to create anymore new aliases to contact anyone, though, and I'll freeze those accounts and IP addresses as well.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #957779 by Green Tortuga
Mar 10, 2018 2:57pm
Thread
you should know that this is SurvivorMan

He first reared his head maybe five years ago causing all sorts of problems and vandalized boxes.

You want we should pay this SurvivorMan a little visit?

If a SurvivorMan "falls" in the woods, will he make a sound?
Another Really Long Material Testing Post
Mar 10, 2018 5:17pm
Thread
Only one tester is still in the wings and I knew she'd be later in responding. I'll publish her results when they come in. In the meantime, in case you're staring at your computer on a Saturday night, here's:

Another Really Long Material Testing Post

I hope all testers will feel free to chime in with anything I might have missed, over or understated, misunderstood or otherwise goofed up.

Once again, many thanks to my testers - and I'm amazed that almost all of them have signed up for more punishment -- er-- I mean, the opportunity to test the tan and slightly thicker version of this stuff. I'm giving it a test run myself and will have packages in the mail to Round Two testers early next week.

Webfoot
Reply to: #957779 by Green Tortuga
Mar 10, 2018 8:11pm
Thread
Wow! I offered to carve a stamp for him and he sent me his mailing address.. the stamp is just about finished - now I can't decide if I want to mail it to him or not. It's sad that folks would troll on here (thanks, Ryan, for looking out for all of us).

Hmmm - anyone want the two bat related stamps I carved?
Reply to: #957793 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Mar 11, 2018 4:05am
Thread
Wonder if he was going to plant them where he first planted a box named Night Wings which was near a cave that has lots of bats in it.
Reply to: #957793 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Mar 11, 2018 4:16am
Thread
Based on what Ryan stated, I have to wonder if that address is legitimate. If you do decided to send the stamps, I suggest first mailing a letter and in that letter request that he contact you by email. If the address is real and he is in fact interested in the stamps, he will follow up and then you can mail the stamps with some reassurance. If the address is fake, then you will never hear from him but at least your stamps won't be lost.
But maybe first take a look at the address on streetview - might be obvious that it's fake when you see where it is. Like if it's a warehouse or shopping plaza or something like that.