Sep 27, 2014 3:37am
Thread
Is it too early to ask if it worked?
Re: Stamp cleanup
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #870259 by crosscresent
Sep 27, 2014 5:12am
Thread
Lol you were about an hour and a half early! Yes! Mounting on foam did stabilize it enough to eliminate the mysteriously appearing shadows. I must have been pressing the edges down more than the center. I was carving my new mini-sig and will post it on my profile after a bit. I'm pleased with how it turned out. Thanks for all the advice.

Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #870248 by Wronghat
Sep 27, 2014 5:17am
Thread
I often frame my images too. Maybe that's why this was such a new problem for me. I couldn't frame this one as the image goes right down to the bottom edge. It's only 1"x1" so I couldn't do a frame too.

Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #870262 by CTEagleEye
Sep 27, 2014 5:41am
Thread
I have the same problems with those small stamps. But mounting them and cutting the edge off to the image with an exacta helps a lot. Looking forward to seeing your new siggy :)
Reply to: #870266 by Night0wl
Sep 27, 2014 5:45am
Thread
Looking forward to seeing your new siggy :)

I posted it and it should now be visible in my message board postings....fingers crossed! The lighting isn't the best but I'll re-do someday.

Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #870267 by CTEagleEye
Sep 27, 2014 7:56am
Thread
It came out awesome! :). Neat image!
Reply to: #870245 by CTEagleEye
Sep 27, 2014 9:51pm
Thread
I agree w/ Wise Wanderer. Mounting them firms them up and imitates the pressure where it's likely to be in the final product. I learned that after trimming and trimming and getting it just right, mounting it, and having NEW spots show up! Later, I noticed that different spots showed up in mounted stamps than were there before I mounted them. THat's the way the wubbah wiggles.
Reply to: #870348 by Wry Me
Sep 27, 2014 11:41pm
Thread
I once met a boxer who used a store-bought stamp as a sig stamp, and oddly enough it left stray marks. It had an area along one edge where pressing it against the paper was causing the foam between rubber and handle to deform the base layer of rubber far enough to catch some ink and deposit it on the paper. I asked if she'd like me to try to clean that up. I figured it'd be easy, just cut that portion of the base layer away. Wrong! The rubber in a store-bought stamp is tough! I couldn't cut it with anything! I gave up on it rather than risk damaging her stamp in the attempt. I probably should have whipped out my Dremel to grind it out.
Re: Quick question
Reply to: #869887 by S and D
Sep 28, 2014 5:27pm
Thread
If you get it cheap, $3-4, I would try a block or two.
Reply to: #869887 by S and D
Sep 28, 2014 5:28pm
Thread
Have you made back all the money you spent for SLQ?
Reply to: #870476 by Sunia
Sep 28, 2014 6:33pm
Thread
I have a pile of checks to cash, then yes.

My profit will be 2.20

So my estimate on costs was right on. I have momey for tape if we need it
Reply to: #870349 by Kirbert
Sep 29, 2014 9:59am
Thread
Yeah, I've tried cutting them too. VERY tough. I have a very sharp X-acto from Stampeaz that would cut it with difficulty. Mrs. TheKindlyVikings has a pair of very sharp scissors from Stampin' Up! for cutting out their stamps. It seems like they have shorter blades and longer handles too, for leverage.

-TKV
Re: OZ, Anyone?
Reply to: #865811 by Kirbert
Oct 3, 2014 1:08pm
Thread
OK, who was it that I sent that OZ to? I seem to have lost that contact info.
Secret Stamp Santa III
Oct 5, 2014 12:58pm
Thread
Hey everyone! It's that time of year again - time to sign up for the Secret Stamp Santa tracker!! All info is on the tracker. Don't forget to send me your address when you sign up. :)

TG
Reply to: #870487 by S and D
Oct 8, 2014 6:11pm
Thread
Good!
Word Carvers- Need Advice
Oct 11, 2014 9:06am
Thread
I want to carve a few lines from a poem and I am having trouble finding a font I like. There is one or two in Word that I can use if I find nothing else; but, they are not quite what I want. I have seen some really great carves with several lines of text and would love to get some advice on what online program and font I could maybe use. I don't have a computer, so I can't download any programs; but, I can use a free online program. Any advice or programs and specific fonts I should consider?
Re: Word Carvers- Need Advice
Reply to: #872083 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Oct 11, 2014 9:31am
Thread
I don't have a computer, so I can't download any programs

You're obviously on a computer. That's why this statement confused me at first. But then I thought about it and you mean that you are borrowing a computer so you can't make any permanent changes. I don't know of any online programs to typeset a poem for printing, but someone else will know.

I'm assuming that you are using a computer where you can print. Even if you can't use acetone to transfer the image with the printer you're using, you can trace it with pencil and burnish it.

You could just free hand draw up what you want and burnish it onto rubber.

But you don't want a formal font. You want a font that looks somewhat like handwriting, like Comic Sans, because those don't look so "off" when you have minor variances. Here is a Google search for free fonts. You can look over some fonts to see if there is one that you want to use, even when you draw it yourself.

Good luck.
Reply to: #872087 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 11, 2014 10:01am
Thread
I primarily use an ipad or iphone when I am on the internet. I either use a borrowed or library computer for printing, so you are correct in assuming I cannot make permanent changes to those computers. I do use an acetone transfer which works great for me. I am not so great at drawing and have icky handwriting, so a free hand draw would be terrible for me.

I'm carving lines from a more classic poem, so I am hoping to find a neat looking font that is on the easier side to carve (i'm just a so-so word carver who is trying to improve). An ultra modern font would look out of place for this carve. I do have a more basic font that I can use; but, I am hoping to find something a bit more artsy.
Reply to: #872087 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 11, 2014 10:31am
Thread
Wow, what a great link. I've bookmarked it! I love the typewriter fonts, the Horror, Western, handwriting and calligraphy!

I really hate carving text, but some of those look really fun. For instance the typewriter and horror fonts look like they are all scratched up, blobs and missing pieces. So it doesn't even matter if I accidentally chop a bit off or ding a letter up!
Reply to: #872094 by FloridaFour
Oct 11, 2014 11:14am
Thread
Wow, what a great link. I've bookmarked it! I love the typewriter fonts, the Horror, Western, handwriting and calligraphy!

However, since you don't have a computer you can install those fonts on, you'll only be able to copy them by hand. You may be able to find a letterboxer in your area who has a computer and can help you. Post in your state's board to see if you can get someone to help.

Otherwise, you can just try to copy them by hand. You'll be surprised how well you can do. You can't get better if you don't try.
Oct 11, 2014 11:40am
Thread
Aq mail me the lines you want carved and about the size. I can type it up in photoshop in a few different fonts and send you a jpg through email and you can print this off any computer.
Reply to: #872094 by FloridaFour
Oct 12, 2014 7:53am
Thread
OK, just as a warning: Many years ago, on a previous computer, I discovered that there were zillions of TrueType fonts available and proceeded to download and install a pile of them. This proved to be a huge mistake. First off, every time I created a document using one of those fonts, nobody else could open that document on their computer without a bunch of warnings popping up about unknown fonts. Second, I couldn't go back and uninstall all those fonts because, once installed, I couldn't tell which ones were the ones I added and which were the ones that came with Windows.

Last time I replaced my 'puter, I made it a point to never install any new fonts. If it didn't come with Windows, I don't need it.
Reply to: #872192 by Kirbert
Oct 12, 2014 9:25am
Thread
First off, every time I created a document using one of those fonts, nobody else could open that document on their computer without a bunch of warnings popping up about unknown fonts.

The fonts I downloaded and installed I use in my personal documents. You just have to remember this when you make documents. Also, you can share them in PDF documents because they carry the fonts with them. There is a "Print to PDF" available.

Custom fonts work for a stamp though because you're only using it once.
Oct 13, 2014 6:19am
Thread
I use Viner Hand ITC often because it's "scripty" enough to disguise minor irregularities but not so "scripty" that it's impossible to carve (see my signature stamp image).

And I rely heavily on light and magnification when carving text.
SLQ up for sale at Bed and Boxing Event
Oct 14, 2014 3:30pm
Thread
If you are a lover of SLQ and would like more slabs of the stuff (I believe I have three full slabs and one partial), come find me at Bed and Boxing this weekend. Will sacrifice for $15. I'm personally not liking the stuff and am going to go back to OZ Kut. First come, first served!

Bungalow Boxer
Re: SLQ up for sale at Bed and Boxing Event
Reply to: #872476 by Bungalow Boxer
Oct 14, 2014 3:51pm
Thread
I purchased eight slabs a few weeks ago and finally carved an event stamp last weekend, and I was not too happy. The material is very soft and the material kept rolling and bunching up in front of my blade. My tools are very sharp, but that didn’t help. I remember when I used to put recoil pads on gun stocks and I would freeze the pad so I could sand them easier. I put the piece of SLQ into the freezer for an hour and tried carving again, what a difference it made. I was able to carve fine lines and more detail just like PZ cut A grade. I like the way it took transfers, takes ink, and stamps.
Re: SLQ up for sale at Bed and Boxing Event
Reply to: #872479 by Coffee Mug
Oct 14, 2014 3:57pm
Thread
I tried the freezer and yes, it helped a little, but it did put a wet film on my carving material. Refrigerator helped a little but didn't put the moisture on the material. I just butchered a very important stamp that I need for Friday and no more time to recarve (this was already my second recarve of the stamp). I put a disclaimer on the back of the stamp that it's temporary and badly recarved. UGH!

I know there are people who like the stuff, so if anyone wants it, let me know!

BB
carving venting
Oct 16, 2014 10:44pm
Thread
So I have some of the candy colored sandwich block and have been liking it. Then the tip of my gouge broke off because I put it away without covering and dropped the box it was in. I have recently received some modified gouges from Kirbert but had not started using them yet. So I slipped one in and started carving. Much to my dismay I made mistake after mistake. I carved poor Mickey's eyes right off. I am not trying a particularly difficult carve and am very disappointed in myself. I am not sure what I am doing differently and would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,
Moon Flowers
Re: carving venting
Reply to: #872758 by Moon Flowers
Oct 17, 2014 5:12am
Thread
Oh dear, sorry. Hope today goes better for you.