A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: image transfer
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #809968 by connecticut croaker
Nov 4, 2013 4:38am
Thread
With acetone, you need to use a copier that uses toner. Also be sure to use 100% acetone, not regular nail polish remover. (it's in the same place at the store, just usually on a lower shelf)
Rub the image with your fingernail or the edge of a letter opener to get it to transfer better. Keep the paper wet (not puddled) before peeling away.
Re: 'Oh, Holy Interruptus, Batman!'
Reply to: #813947 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Nov 4, 2013 3:42pm
Thread
Switch to the stuff from sweetloveqiner on etsy.com, either colored or white. It'll probably cost a bit more with shipping, but you won't have to worry about whether you're getting the "good stuff" or the "lousy stuff".
Re: 'Oh, Holy Interruptus, Batman!'
Reply to: #814109 by Kirbert
Nov 4, 2013 7:29pm
Thread
thank you, I'll check it out after I exhaust 6 extra large slabs of 2009! What's your opinion of this "new" stuff on etsy?
Re: Sweetloveqiner Random Color Material
Reply to: #806199 by Kirbert
Nov 8, 2013 10:41am
Thread
Reviving this thread so people can click on Kirbert's link if they want to order this stuff.

I recently received four colored blocks of this material. Seems pretty nice so far. But I recommend that you consider the white instead of random colors. One of the blocks I got was chocolatey brown, and it's a bit dark for transferring a detailed image. Maybe the seller will give you light colors if you ask.

But I haven't actually tried the white, I'm just assuming it carves like the colored material. And it surely beats new pink.
Reply to: #814692 by chili pepper
Nov 8, 2013 12:50pm
Thread
I contacted sweetloveqiner and was assured that the white and the colored are the same material, the only difference is the color.

Another reason to opt for the white is that it comes in larger blocks, resulting in less waste and therefore more useful material for the money.
Nov 8, 2013 12:51pm
Thread
And I think some well-chewed Double Bubble would beat the new pink.
Switching from tool to tool
Nov 9, 2013 5:50am
Thread
Do you ever feel like a surgeon? The carve I am working on right now requires a lot of switching back & forth of tools. As I switch from tool to tool, I wonder if this is how a surgeon works or feels. Especially as I am peering through my magnifier, it seems to add to the surgeon effect.

I also get tired & can't continue to carve after a while. Hope the surgeon does not feel that way!! I think about since my son had a 3 hour surgery 2 years ago. I wanted that Dr. to feel nice & relaxed - not tired!

bluebirdlover
busy switching tools
Re: Switching from tool to tool
Reply to: #814814 by bluebirdlover
Nov 9, 2013 5:58am
Thread
I never thought of it like this, but I certainly switch tools and get tired while carving. That's a sign the stamp will be awesome! Sometimes I find myself forgetting to switch and somehow, once the hand/brain connection is established for a particular pattern of cuts, like little lacy flowers, it doesn't matter. That tiny reverse #1 gouge, when sharp and slippery (no transfer gunk on it) wears a knife costume pretty well. Funnily enough, it can't function that way when I'm starting, though.
Reply to: #814815 by Maude
Nov 9, 2013 6:11am
Thread
So you use a reverse, Maude. I still have never really gotten the hang of it. Still prefer my mini & love it the best. I am down to just the mini on this stamp right now. no switching right now. Still liking to look away & rest my eyes.

Did you ever find Wintergreen?
Reply to: #814817 by bluebirdlover
Nov 9, 2013 7:18am
Thread
I haven't had a chance yet ~ I doubt the TSA would like it, so skipped that while in PDX, and haven't been to the big city yet. Truly, it's a 65 mile round trip for things that aren't sold here, so I wait until I have several reasons to go. Can hardly wait to see what you're carving ~ logbook was mailed yesterday. When you see the package, you'll know why the P.O. clerk snickered.
Reply to: #814716 by Kirbert
Nov 9, 2013 7:40am
Thread
So you didn't like the new pink either?
Nov 9, 2013 12:19pm
Thread
As I switch from tool to tool, I wonder if this is how a surgeon works or feels.

It's all good until your rubber wakes up screaming.
Reply to: #814871 by Wry Me
Nov 9, 2013 12:36pm
Thread
It's all good until your rubber wakes up screaming.

So this is the problem when the tool slips?
Reply to: #814874 by bluebirdlover
Nov 9, 2013 2:46pm
Thread
So this is the problem when the tool slips?

No, that's when you wake up screaming.
Nov 9, 2013 5:40pm
Thread
I don't switch back and forth but I do go up in size. I start with my smallest blade and carve everything, then I go up one size and go over everything, then up and up until it's cleaned up. Then I use the teardrop blade to trim off excess.
Nov 10, 2013 3:33am
Thread
No, if you order the color, you get an assortment; I'd requested lighter colors on a recent joint order, and we got about a quarter to a third of darker shades of rubber.
Nov 10, 2013 3:35am
Thread
I'd have a lot of lawsuits pending. LOL
Reply to: #814871 by Wry Me
Nov 10, 2013 3:37am
Thread
there are cases where the patient is awake under anesthesia (unless I'm watching too much Nip Tuck) so maybe the pink is screaming. I know I am when I toss the yukky pink into the trash and think of the $. It's like a co-pay.
Reply to: #814906 by Raven
Nov 10, 2013 3:40am
Thread
is this metacognitive carving? what next? maybe we need another discussion board for Carving Techniques & Metacognition? Or another name "Wielding the Blade" :)
Reply to: #814955 by paper trail
Nov 10, 2013 9:43am
Thread
I may turn a small chunk of the brown into a Hershey bar hitchhiker :)

I've carved one stamp on the brown. I did a pencil transfer of a fairly simple image, and I ended up having to write over the transferred pencil lines with a fine-point Sharpie so I could see the lines to carve them. I'll try heat and xylene transfers next.
Reply to: #814715 by Kirbert
Nov 10, 2013 9:45am
Thread
Thanks for the info on the white, Kirbert! I'll definitely order that next time.
Nov 10, 2013 5:43pm
Thread
I carve like that too. I have a box of gouges, needles, exactos & keep switching for something that works better for the moment.
Reply to: #814958 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Nov 10, 2013 5:46pm
Thread
Frog, you can save your yukky pink for me (unless it's crumbly).
I need an image!
Nov 11, 2013 7:56pm
Thread
What's the largest stamp you've ever planted? I ask because I'm in the final stages of carving a series I started about 18 months ago, and I can't find an image that is clear enough for me to carve it small. It will be the last stamp of the series, so I don't mind if it's larger than the others, but I'm curious about what is "too big."
Re: I need an image!
Reply to: #815300 by WiseOldOwl
Nov 11, 2013 8:16pm
Thread
Didn't carve it but I found a 4x6 Led zeppelin album cover.
Nov 11, 2013 8:32pm
Thread
Your question seems to be about what constitutes "too big". Like the other replier I'll tell you about the largest stamp that I have found. It was about 8" x 4", but the clue warns that it is large. Because of that I was able to bring a full sheet of paper, 8.5" x 11" so that I could stamp it.

The important thing was that I was warned that it is a large stamp that I was seeking.
Nov 11, 2013 9:37pm
Thread
This one. I believe it was 4x5, for the same reasons you gave. If you're familiar with the image, you know there is tiny writing in the "halo" around the cat, so you can't make it clear any smaller, nor carve it if you could! Not a spoiler, as this image is iconic. I don't think people minded, but I just put a line in there letting finders know it was huge. Open Space has carved some big o' ones as well, in our area, all fabulous.
Reply to: #815302 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Nov 11, 2013 10:02pm
Thread
That led zepplin stamp was amazing!! However i think the largest stamp i have found was a 4x6 ish event stamp for the i heart the 80s event stamp... Carved by poofmagicevilkitty... If not that one then the Witch King that was lovingly carved by an amazing frog loving carver!
Nov 11, 2013 10:08pm
Thread
...clear enough for me to carve it small...

I'm puzzled by this remark. For me, it's the images that lack clarity that are the ones that get carved small. It's when I carve a big stamp that I need an image with lots of clarity. Please explain how an image would need to be clear enough to carve it small.
Nov 11, 2013 10:12pm
Thread
In answer to your question, I once carved a stamp that was about 3" x 6". But that's not "too big". The only way a stamp can be "too big" is if it's a complete waste of ink and rubber. One time I found a HH that was about 4" x 5", and it was supposed to be an image of a witch or something, but it was hardly more than a black triangle. That stamp was too big, and I always wondered if it was because pink stuff came in a 4" x 6" size and it never occurred to the carver that they could cut two or more smaller pieces from that.