A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: OZ is making me crazy!!
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #810196 by Wry Me
Oct 13, 2013 6:51pm
Thread
Finally resorted to better paper, swearing, and. . .

i often find that resorting to swearing improves a number of things. . .

and i think i do the acetone wipedown, too, come to think of it, as part of the image transfer. So that might be part of the reason i'm not having problems. (Just reread Aiphid's column) i don't actually sand anything. i found that left weird little lines on stamps. . .

~tigs (off to finish carving postal stamps)
Reply to: #810168 by artTrekker
Oct 13, 2013 7:02pm
Thread
Sand it vigorously. Honestly.
Reply to: #810227 by Eli and Joe
Oct 13, 2013 7:08pm
Thread
Sand it vigorously. Honestly.

Yup. Just don't scrub it vigorously with acetone.
Reply to: #810221 by tiggermama
Oct 13, 2013 7:30pm
Thread
i often find that resorting to swearing improves a number of things. . .

You swear??!!
Reply to: #810194 by Raven
Oct 13, 2013 7:36pm
Thread
I could do a pic, but don't want to post a spoiler for an upcoming event.

Versafine wins. It's my juiciest ink pad and made the best image. I don't have staz-on, so can't test that.

Eli, maybe there'll be a little time on Saturday for a mini-tutorial.
Reply to: #810239 by The Wolf Family
Oct 13, 2013 8:23pm
Thread
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

oh no, not me! never. you of all people should know that indelicacies have never left my lily white mouth.

~tigs (did i say that with a straight face? was there a twitch?)
Reply to: #810168 by artTrekker
Oct 13, 2013 10:12pm
Thread
I found it hard to control my tools in this hard material, so curved lines are wiggly

Sharpen your tools.

I had to push my gouges and knifes through OZ, slipping some times. Then I sharpened them and my tools glide through very easily. You'll get smoother lines that way. Here are Kirbert's tutorials.
Uh, is it cheating using a laser?
Oct 14, 2013 3:46am
Thread
I am preparing to do my actual first stamp carving, nothing really extravagant, but there are words involved, when a totally non talent person who couldn't even draw a stick figure said I should take it to a "stamp" shop and have it done with a laser for a small fee... about 20-30 dollars using my design... really, where is the fun in that? Yes it would look awesome and be impressive but then I would be ashamed to call it my stamp ... I would have to call it a store stamp right, not that they are bad don't get me wrong...been there used them. Then there is that stamp form printer thingy she says online ...where it copies your drawing, presses it into a mold then melts the rubber and pours it into the mold, hardens and whoala you have a stamp... only about $12,000.00 ... I was so befuddled by this person I walked out of Hobby Lobby without getting my speedy carvinging block...
Reply to: #810274 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 14, 2013 4:26am
Thread
I had to push my gouges and knifes through OZ, slipping some times.

I don't own OZ yet, so I can not attest to anything, but I thought *someone* had posted about using oil (maybe coconut oil) to assist the gouge in a smooth clean cut. Then the stamp was thoroughly washed off prior to stamping. Coconut oil would wash off more easily then other oils. Since no one has mentioned this, thought I would add this idea into the conversation, but someone who has utilized it successfully might want to chime in!
Re: Uh, is it cheating using a laser?
Reply to: #810297 by DustySandStorm
Oct 14, 2013 4:45am
Thread
really, where is the fun in that? Yes it would look awesome and be impressive but then I would be ashamed to call it my stamp ...

Then don't. If you would be ashamed, why even consider it? Plus why pay the expense?

I should take it to a "stamp" shop and have it done with a laser for a small fee... about 20-30 dollars using my design... I would have to call it a store stamp right,

No, that would be a "custom made stamp."

Then there is that stamp form printer thingy she says online ...where it copies your drawing, presses it into a mold then melts the rubber and pours it into the mold, hardens and whoala you have a stamp... only about $12,000.00

Also a "custom made stamp" in my opinion. It certainly is NOT hand carved, even if it is hand drawn. And they make those stamp makers for less money actually. Can't remember the brand but they are used for scrapbooking and there was one released at CHA last year or maybe the year before. I think the whole thing cost less than $200 but again, why pay the expense?

Personally, I'd rather find hand carved even if the carving isn't that great. I think most people would. I'll still look for custom and store-bought, but I can guarantee my rating will be knocked off a point just from the fact that the stamp isn't hand carved. Some people won't even look for store-bought or custom made.
Oct 14, 2013 4:49am
Thread
That would be called a "custom" stamp.

For your first stamp, just carving out letters in the positive, instead of negative, wouldn't be too hard. Just practice a little on a small scrap of pink before committing to the full stamp. Or (and I have done this) , carve the words seperately, and glue them on the foam backing along with the image stamp.

I just think it looks even more personal to carve your own, the slightly uneven lines, and small mistakes add character. It does not have to be perfect! :) Also, it is easier to carve your own handwriting, than to carve printed words, because they don't have to be perfect.
Oct 14, 2013 8:51am
Thread
For most of us it's the whole package. The hunt, the clues/story, the location, and then the contents of the box. Nobody is gonna tell you your boxes aren't worthy. You'd be surprised at the Blue Diamond boxes I've seen and have even planted myself! It's not about the stamp so please don't waste money on fancy expensive machines and $30 stamps.
Reply to: #810307 by FloridaFour
Oct 14, 2013 8:54am
Thread
I understand that in the UK those are referred to as "bespoke" stamps -- and they are considered the ideal, they don't care much for hand-carved stamps.
Oct 14, 2013 9:18am
Thread
We recently acquired a Fab Lab here in the Fluffy Edge of Doom. They assured me that they could, in fact, laser cut a stamp of my design. I have no idea of the cost, but I will admit it is intriguing.
Reply to: #810244 by artTrekker
Oct 14, 2013 10:18am
Thread
I know how amazingly detailed your marvelous stamps are.... cannot wait to see it this weekend!

Wendy
Reply to: #810274 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 14, 2013 1:17pm
Thread
Sharpen your tools.

Yeah, my tools are less than ideal. I really need to send a package to Kirbert.
Reply to: #810301 by bluebirdlover
Oct 14, 2013 1:19pm
Thread
I don't own OZ yet

Susan, would you like me to send you a piece? I am pretty sure this is not going to be my material of choice.
Reply to: #810365 by Wendy
Oct 14, 2013 1:21pm
Thread
Thanks, Wendy, a high compliment coming from you. Look forward to seeing you!
Reply to: #810244 by artTrekker
Oct 14, 2013 2:42pm
Thread
I would love to be a part of the mini tutorial if time allows on Saturday
Reply to: #810395 by artTrekker
Oct 14, 2013 5:01pm
Thread
Moi?

Based on some of the tools I've been getting for sharpening, some of you guys are waiting too long! I can't see how some of these have been used!
Reply to: #810396 by artTrekker
Oct 14, 2013 6:50pm
Thread
If you are up for that, sure! I will give it a whirl! And where will you look for carving material from there?
First Carve!
Oct 16, 2013 12:24am
Thread
Okay, I just had to share that I finished my first carve! I'm so excited!

I've had the image, the tools and the carving material for weeks... I've just been hesitant to actually do "THE CARVE". Well, two hours later I've finally completed it! Although there is definitely room for improvement (which I know will come with time), I'm actually pretty happy with the results. I can tell what it's supposed to be, although that may just be because I know what it's supposed to be... but I'm still happy with it.

It's for my first LTC swap, so I'm anxious to finish my LTCs and get them mailed to my hostess and get some feedback/suggestions for next time.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help on these boards that helped this happy moment come about!
Re: First Carve!
Reply to: #810679 by 3Daydreamers
Oct 16, 2013 4:38am
Thread
Yay! That's awesome! When I started carving 2 months ago, FloridaFour suggested that I keep a separate logbook at home of just my carves. I'm so glad I did! It is so nice to see improvement with each carve! It has been a huge confidence-booster :)
Reply to: #810696 by NotMyCircus
Oct 16, 2013 6:07am
Thread
FloridaFour suggested...

Pats self on back.. haha!

Seriously, after just four or five carves, you will get a feel for the carving tool and rubber, and the jaggedy lines will start to fade, and you'll get more detail, and faster, too. You won't believe the difference! Hope to see your first LTC.
Christmas stamps
Oct 16, 2013 7:56pm
Hello
I'm in need of some good and generous carvers that can donate some stamps for a Christmas event that I will hosting on December 14th 2013.
If any one can help please let me know.
These are some ideas but if you have one please share with me. :-)

Snowman
Santa Claus
Reindeer
Snowflakes
Christmas Tree
Candy Cane
Merry Christmas
Feliz Navidad
Angels
Sled
Christmas Lights
Star
Christmas Wreath
Christmas Ornaments
Bells
Doves
Gifts
Mistletoe
Poinsettias
Christmas Stocking
Holly Tree
Icicles
Tinse
Nativity Scene
Three Wise Men

If you want to donate me a stamp let me know and I will send you my address.
Thank you very much

Treasurehonas
Reply to: #810679 by 3Daydreamers
Oct 17, 2013 11:45am
Thread
Congrats! But be careful. It's HIGHLY addictive!!
Mod Podge Transfer
Oct 19, 2013 7:23pm
Thread
I was looking at all the stuff you can transfer images onto with mod podge. Tshirts, bags, candles, wood, all kinds of stuff.

Has anyone tried using mod podge to transfer images onto carving material? If so, how did it turn out?

=(^._.^)=
Re: Mod Podge Transfer
Reply to: #811300 by Catchow
Oct 19, 2013 8:39pm
Thread
I was looking at all the stuff you can transfer images onto with mod podge.

What about Silly Putty? I remember people using it to pick up images. Could it be used to transfer to carving material? It would have to be done very delicately because of stretching, but it it possible?
Reply to: #811300 by Catchow
Oct 19, 2013 9:06pm
Thread
I haven't tried Mod podge or Gel medium for transfer, but I recently tried TAP (transfer artistic paper) to transfer a colored marker drawing. I did not try it on carving material, but I will give it a try tomorrow and report back. It is EXPENSIVE, but it might be great for certain applications. Mainly it was the transfer of my own marker drawing to a t-shirt, that I was interested in.

TAP:
http://www.amazon.com/Lesley-Rileys-Transfer-Artist-5-Sheet/dp/1607052539
Reply to: #811321 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 19, 2013 9:48pm
Thread
It would have to be done very delicately because of stretching, but it it possible?

Perhaps the stretching could be put to a creative use!