A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: image transfer
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #809770 by connecticut croaker
Oct 11, 2013 6:21pm
Thread
Thanks for all the advice! I use the printer at work specifically because it is a laser and my home printer is inkjet. Hence, why I can't use parchment paper, everyone gets nosy when someone uses non-standard paper. I think first, I am going to buy a new bottle of acetone. The one I have is from an old school project and is more than a few years old. Then, thanks to all of your help I will be experimenting with irons and wet transfers. If it dries out as fast as you say, I won't bother with the blender pen. Here in Arizona, my ink pads dry out in a matter of days...
I can't wait to get started!!! Thanks!
OZ is making me crazy!!
Oct 13, 2013 3:54pm
Thread
First off, apologies to the puffin. Nothing personal. I just can't seem to get a leg up on this material.

I carved a very detailed stamp (yes, it is possible to do that, but I found it hard to control my tools in this hard material, so curved lines are wiggly) and now I can't seem to make a clean impression. I very lightly sanded it, wiped it down with acetone, and put a nice piece of soft foam on the back. I'm using a good stamp pad. what else can I try?
Re: OZ is making me crazy!!
Reply to: #810168 by artTrekker
Oct 13, 2013 4:03pm
Thread
what else can I try?

Sending it to me!
But in all seriousness, I don't prep the surface at all and I love the stuff. I don't mount. I use wintergreen oil to transfer my image from a laser printer. But I let it set and remove all excess oil and I usually don't carve that same day. After carving I clean my carve with soap and hot water, then rub it clean on a hand towel. I either use Staz-on or Ranger Archival Ink pads based on the specific craft I'm working on.
Oct 13, 2013 4:06pm
Thread
If it has a lot of solid areas, they will be slightly blotchy. I attribute this to the OZ not blowing as absorbant or flexible as the pink.
Reply to: #810170 by FloridaFour
Oct 13, 2013 4:08pm
Thread
If it has a lot of solid areas, they will be slightly blotchy.

That might be the difference. I find that most my images don't have much solid areas.
Oct 13, 2013 4:32pm
Thread

It does seem the solid areas are the biggest problem. Some of them have very fine detail, and the blotchy just obliterates everything. What's the point of getting fine detail if it doesn't show?
Reply to: #810175 by artTrekker
Oct 13, 2013 4:40pm
Thread
I know what you mean. I think it shows fine detail well with negative carves, and will hold the negative lines. I think with any super fine positive lines, some will be obliterated by the ink. Bet to use an ink that isn't too thick. I like Versafine ink, or Ranger Archival dye ink. Thicker pigment inks probably will fill in the thin white areas too much.
Reply to: #810177 by FloridaFour
Oct 13, 2013 4:45pm
Thread
Ah. that might be the problem. i don't use pigment inks. i use Stazon or dye inks with OZ and i don't get blotchiness. Could this be the solution??

~tigs (who carves basically on OZ and nothing else)
Oct 13, 2013 4:47pm
Thread

That's not necessarily the fault of the carving material.
Oct 13, 2013 4:51pm
Thread
My stamps are detailed and don't have large solid areas, but for what it's worth, if I'm having trouble I clean the stamp, ink it up with Stazon, and don't stamp it, just let the ink dry on the stamp. I find it makes the surface a little more tacky and receptive to the ink.
Reply to: #810182 by Aiphid
Oct 13, 2013 4:52pm
Thread
That's not necessarily the fault of the carving material.

Yes, that is my biggest problem is making a good impression! No really, I often find it difficult to stamp my impressions well.
Reply to: #810184 by nosox
Oct 13, 2013 4:54pm
Thread
Love the new siggy stamp pic. You always have the most awesome image up there!!
Reply to: #810175 by artTrekker
Oct 13, 2013 5:05pm
Thread
the solid areas are the biggest problem. Some of them have very fine detail,

I'm not really sure what you mean by it being solid areas that have fine detail. Is it a negative image?
Reply to: #810190 by The Wolf Family
Oct 13, 2013 5:11pm
Thread
There are big solid areas with just a few very fine lines gouged out of them, to create a little form.
Reply to: #810191 by artTrekker
Oct 13, 2013 5:17pm
Thread
There are big solid areas with just a few very fine lines gouged out of them

So it sounds like you have a negative image and the ink is filling in the lines. Can you make the lines deeper?
Reply to: #810191 by artTrekker
Oct 13, 2013 5:19pm
Thread
There are big solid areas with just a few very fine lines gouged out of them, to create a little form.

Is a pic possible?
Reply to: #810180 by tiggermama
Oct 13, 2013 5:32pm
Thread
Sometimes all that's left is weeping.

Last night, I could NOT get an image in the stamp logbook for the box I was making w/out blotchiness and gaps from the OZ. I was using versa-fine black ink, so this should have been a no-brainer. Finally resorted to better paper, swearing, and acetone wipedown and cut/pasted it onto the first page. Sheesh. Open Space turned me on to 600 grit sandpaper. Oooooooh. I'll try that next and report back. Unless she weighs in here first.
Reply to: #810172 by Raven
Oct 13, 2013 5:57pm
Thread
And therefore when the image will have lots of solid areas, I'll choose a different carving material.
Reply to: #810196 by Wry Me
Oct 13, 2013 6:51pm
Thread
Finally resorted to better paper, swearing, and. . .

i often find that resorting to swearing improves a number of things. . .

and i think i do the acetone wipedown, too, come to think of it, as part of the image transfer. So that might be part of the reason i'm not having problems. (Just reread Aiphid's column) i don't actually sand anything. i found that left weird little lines on stamps. . .

~tigs (off to finish carving postal stamps)
Oct 13, 2013 7:02pm
Thread
Sand it vigorously. Honestly.
Reply to: #810227 by Eli and Joe
Oct 13, 2013 7:08pm
Thread
Sand it vigorously. Honestly.

Yup. Just don't scrub it vigorously with acetone.
Reply to: #810221 by tiggermama
Oct 13, 2013 7:30pm
Thread
i often find that resorting to swearing improves a number of things. . .

You swear??!!
Reply to: #810194 by Raven
Oct 13, 2013 7:36pm
Thread
I could do a pic, but don't want to post a spoiler for an upcoming event.

Versafine wins. It's my juiciest ink pad and made the best image. I don't have staz-on, so can't test that.

Eli, maybe there'll be a little time on Saturday for a mini-tutorial.
Reply to: #810239 by The Wolf Family
Oct 13, 2013 8:23pm
Thread
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

oh no, not me! never. you of all people should know that indelicacies have never left my lily white mouth.

~tigs (did i say that with a straight face? was there a twitch?)
Oct 13, 2013 10:12pm
Thread
I found it hard to control my tools in this hard material, so curved lines are wiggly

Sharpen your tools.

I had to push my gouges and knifes through OZ, slipping some times. Then I sharpened them and my tools glide through very easily. You'll get smoother lines that way. Here are Kirbert's tutorials.
Uh, is it cheating using a laser?
Oct 14, 2013 3:46am
Thread
I am preparing to do my actual first stamp carving, nothing really extravagant, but there are words involved, when a totally non talent person who couldn't even draw a stick figure said I should take it to a "stamp" shop and have it done with a laser for a small fee... about 20-30 dollars using my design... really, where is the fun in that? Yes it would look awesome and be impressive but then I would be ashamed to call it my stamp ... I would have to call it a store stamp right, not that they are bad don't get me wrong...been there used them. Then there is that stamp form printer thingy she says online ...where it copies your drawing, presses it into a mold then melts the rubber and pours it into the mold, hardens and whoala you have a stamp... only about $12,000.00 ... I was so befuddled by this person I walked out of Hobby Lobby without getting my speedy carvinging block...
Reply to: #810274 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 14, 2013 4:26am
Thread
I had to push my gouges and knifes through OZ, slipping some times.

I don't own OZ yet, so I can not attest to anything, but I thought *someone* had posted about using oil (maybe coconut oil) to assist the gouge in a smooth clean cut. Then the stamp was thoroughly washed off prior to stamping. Coconut oil would wash off more easily then other oils. Since no one has mentioned this, thought I would add this idea into the conversation, but someone who has utilized it successfully might want to chime in!
Re: Uh, is it cheating using a laser?
Reply to: #810297 by DustySandStorm
Oct 14, 2013 4:45am
Thread
really, where is the fun in that? Yes it would look awesome and be impressive but then I would be ashamed to call it my stamp ...

Then don't. If you would be ashamed, why even consider it? Plus why pay the expense?

I should take it to a "stamp" shop and have it done with a laser for a small fee... about 20-30 dollars using my design... I would have to call it a store stamp right,

No, that would be a "custom made stamp."

Then there is that stamp form printer thingy she says online ...where it copies your drawing, presses it into a mold then melts the rubber and pours it into the mold, hardens and whoala you have a stamp... only about $12,000.00

Also a "custom made stamp" in my opinion. It certainly is NOT hand carved, even if it is hand drawn. And they make those stamp makers for less money actually. Can't remember the brand but they are used for scrapbooking and there was one released at CHA last year or maybe the year before. I think the whole thing cost less than $200 but again, why pay the expense?

Personally, I'd rather find hand carved even if the carving isn't that great. I think most people would. I'll still look for custom and store-bought, but I can guarantee my rating will be knocked off a point just from the fact that the stamp isn't hand carved. Some people won't even look for store-bought or custom made.
Oct 14, 2013 4:49am
Thread
That would be called a "custom" stamp.

For your first stamp, just carving out letters in the positive, instead of negative, wouldn't be too hard. Just practice a little on a small scrap of pink before committing to the full stamp. Or (and I have done this) , carve the words seperately, and glue them on the foam backing along with the image stamp.

I just think it looks even more personal to carve your own, the slightly uneven lines, and small mistakes add character. It does not have to be perfect! :) Also, it is easier to carve your own handwriting, than to carve printed words, because they don't have to be perfect.
Oct 14, 2013 8:51am
Thread
For most of us it's the whole package. The hunt, the clues/story, the location, and then the contents of the box. Nobody is gonna tell you your boxes aren't worthy. You'd be surprised at the Blue Diamond boxes I've seen and have even planted myself! It's not about the stamp so please don't waste money on fancy expensive machines and $30 stamps.