Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

by BfloAnonChickProfileContactLogbookNote
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Yeah, near as I can tell, it's identical to tan Speedy Cut, but they changed the colour. (Maybe they caught on to its bad reputation?) But compared to pink, it's awful.
by lonnewsomProfileContactLogbookNote
One thing that makes acetone/laser transfers darker is to remove the paper when it is wet. If you wait until it is dry the toner re-adheres to the paper. Getting the paper that wet can result in some degradation (running) of the image. It also helps...
by RavenProfileContactLogbookNote
Oh ew! Hate speedy cut!!
by The Red HareProfileContactLogbookNote
I had to try blue stuff since our only hobby shop is hobby lobby which used to sell pink stuff but replaced it with blue. I hate it...cuts are not sharp, it crumbles, and you can use your finger to rub off the material. I bet it won't hold up over ti...
by artTrekkerProfileContactLogbookNote
One thing that makes acetone/laser transfers darker is to remove the paper when it is wet. Thanks for this bit of info. Here in the Sierra, everything dries *so* quickly. I just did a transfer for a good-sized stamp, and I think it'll work fine, but da...
by FloridaFourProfileContactLogbookNote
Rick in Boca, I bought some tan speedy cut once, and while I didn't like it, my daughter didn't mind it. I agree it is good for beginners if that is all they can find. At least it gives you the practice of how it looks to carve, reverse image, etc...
by crosscresentProfileContactLogbookNote
No!!! No!!! Oh my gosh. No!!! Im too picky now. My Sound of Music ltcs were on blue stuff bc I was broke. I cried as I carved & kept telling myself "it's not that bad, i can kinda tell its Julia Andrews". Comments: *that whistle sound when nothings g...
by crosscresentProfileContactLogbookNote
The best stuff (they should market it & call it The Best Stuff) was the rubber hamburger stamps at walmart & the hippo & rhino stamps at the dollar tree!!! A m a z i n g ! I cant find them anymore :( BUT!!!! and I repeat BUT!!!... Those big white eras...
by turkey feathersProfileContactLogbookNote
My niece gave me a piece. I wouldn't wish this stuff on anyone. Like carving on a block of well aged extra sharp cheddar cheese.
by Granny ButterflyProfileContactLogbookNote
Let me start by saying I am not by any means an expert, an arts and crafty person, or ever much of a carver. I started out with Master Carve and the Tan stuff. I used very non detailed things from coloring books. Funny little pictures but NO detail....
by Oberon_KenobiProfileContactLogbookNote
Like carving on a block of well aged extra sharp cheddar cheese. Mmmmmmmmm, cheese. :-P <licking lips> That is almost as good as bacon.
by storm riderProfileContactLogbookNote
I didn't know Coffee Mug was your dh. I have always loved that siggy stamp!
by connecticut croakerProfileContactLogbookNote
Thanks for all the advice! I use the printer at work specifically because it is a laser and my home printer is inkjet. Hence, why I can't use parchment paper, everyone gets nosy when someone uses non-standard paper. I think first, I am going to buy a...
First off, apologies to the puffin. Nothing personal. I just can't seem to get a leg up on this material. I carved a very detailed stamp (yes, it is possible to do that, but I found it hard to control my tools in this hard material, so curved lines ar...
what else can I try? Sending it to me! But in all seriousness, I don't prep the surface at all and I love the stuff. I don't mount. I use wintergreen oil to transfer my image from a laser printer. But I let it set and remove all excess oil and I u...
If it has a lot of solid areas, they will be slightly blotchy. I attribute this to the OZ not blowing as absorbant or flexible as the pink.
If it has a lot of solid areas, they will be slightly blotchy. That might be the difference. I find that most my images don't have much solid areas.
If it has a lot of solid areas, they will be slightly blotchy. It does seem the solid areas are the biggest problem. Some of them have very fine detail, and the blotchy just obliterates everything. What's the point of getting fine detail if it doesn't...
I know what you mean. I think it shows fine detail well with negative carves, and will hold the negative lines. I think with any super fine positive lines, some will be obliterated by the ink. Bet to use an ink that isn't too thick. I like Versafin...
by tiggermamaProfileContactLogbookNote
Ah. that might be the problem. i don't use pigment inks. i use Stazon or dye inks with OZ and i don't get blotchiness. Could this be the solution?? ~tigs (who carves basically on OZ and nothing else)
by AiphidProfileContactLogbookNote
If it has a lot of solid areas, they will be slightly blotchy. That's not necessarily the fault of the carving material.
by nosoxProfileContactLogbookNote
My stamps are detailed and don't have large solid areas, but for what it's worth, if I'm having trouble I clean the stamp, ink it up with Stazon, and don't stamp it, just let the ink dry on the stamp. I find it makes the surface a little more tacky an...
That's not necessarily the fault of the carving material. Yes, that is my biggest problem is making a good impression! No really, I often find it difficult to stamp my impressions well.
Love the new siggy stamp pic. You always have the most awesome image up there!!
by The Wolf FamilyProfileContactLogbookNote
the solid areas are the biggest problem. Some of them have very fine detail, I'm not really sure what you mean by it being solid areas that have fine detail. Is it a negative image?
There are big solid areas with just a few very fine lines gouged out of them, to create a little form.
by The Wolf FamilyProfileContactLogbookNote
There are big solid areas with just a few very fine lines gouged out of them So it sounds like you have a negative image and the ink is filling in the lines. Can you make the lines deeper?
There are big solid areas with just a few very fine lines gouged out of them, to create a little form. Is a pic possible?
by Wry MeProfileContactLogbookNote
Sometimes all that's left is weeping. Last night, I could NOT get an image in the stamp logbook for the box I was making w/out blotchiness and gaps from the OZ. I was using versa-fine black ink, so this should have been a no-brainer. Finally resort...
by KirbertProfileContactLogbookNote
And therefore when the image will have lots of solid areas, I'll choose a different carving material.