A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: image transfer
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #809770 by connecticut croaker
Oct 10, 2013 1:03pm
Thread
It depends on what kind of printer you are using. I think a blender pen is similar to acetone, my art teacher uses blender pens. They dry up quickly, so then she just dips them into acetone. You are using 100% acetone, right?

Acetone for me is by far the best, with my laser printer. I don't knowbif it works for ink jets. You need a nice crisp black and white copy, though. Any grey in the background makes it hard to see.

I used to get nice transfer on my laser printer with just ironing it onto the rubber. But we bought new toner, and now it won't work at all.

I can't stand the smell of the botanical oils, but they worked ok.

You may get better detail with pencil if you just press with an iron, rather than rubbing, which smears it. Seal with stazon ink.
Oct 10, 2013 1:57pm
Thread
What kind of printer are you using. Blender pens are xylene, and they work just like acetone. They are both solvents that seem to dissolve and soften the image, but they only work with laserjet images, and even then not all of them. And FF is right. They go out pretty fast, so I'm loving the idea of being able to dip it in acetone, awesome idea, because I love the precision of the tip. I'm going to try to refill it from the back and see what happens.
Speedball Speedy-Cut Easy (blue stuff)
Oct 10, 2013 5:10pm
Thread
Just a word in favor of Speedball Speedy-Cut "Easy" (blue stuff).

It is the only media available at Hobby Lobby $4.99 for a 4x6 block.
On my last visit to Michael's there was no rubber in stock.
For some beginners, this is how they start... at the hobby shop.

It works just fine.
Re: Speedball Speedy-Cut Easy (blue stuff)
Reply to: #809827 by Rick in Boca
Oct 10, 2013 5:40pm
Thread
I'd try it if I ever saw it. Why not right?
Reply to: #809833 by Raven
Oct 10, 2013 5:46pm
Thread
Miss C., I don't think you'd like it, but I have a chunk left from a carve I did recently when I had no other carving material available that I could send you if you want to try it. I don't think it would be suitable for your type of detailed carves because it crumbles badly when you're doing tight curves, etc. with a gouge. It pills up easily, too, along any cut edge. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get good detail with. I have no idea how it would be for a knife carver.
Reply to: #809834 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 10, 2013 5:55pm
Thread
Yeah, near as I can tell, it's identical to tan Speedy Cut, but they changed the colour. (Maybe they caught on to its bad reputation?) But compared to pink, it's awful.
Oct 10, 2013 5:59pm
Thread
One thing that makes acetone/laser transfers darker is to remove the paper when it is wet. If you wait until it is dry the toner re-adheres to the paper. Getting the paper that wet can result in some degradation (running) of the image. It also helps if the carving material is stickier which can be accomplished with by wiping softer materials with acetone or sanding harder materials.
Oct 10, 2013 6:58pm
Thread
Oh ew! Hate speedy cut!!
Oct 10, 2013 7:45pm
Thread
I had to try blue stuff since our only hobby shop is hobby lobby which used to sell pink stuff but replaced it with blue. I hate it...cuts are not sharp, it crumbles, and you can use your finger to rub off the material. I bet it won't hold up over time. Bring back pink stuff!
Reply to: #809836 by lonnewsom
Oct 10, 2013 8:14pm
Thread
One thing that makes acetone/laser transfers darker is to remove the paper when it is wet.

Thanks for this bit of info. Here in the Sierra, everything dries *so* quickly. I just did a transfer for a good-sized stamp, and I think it'll work fine, but darker would have been better. I used a swab and swabbed top to bottom in a swath, after two swaths, things were pretty dry, so you are making the case for lifting the left edge of the transfer as I work my way to the right swiping swaths (make a poem outta that, Grumpy!).
Oct 10, 2013 8:21pm
Thread
Rick in Boca,

I bought some tan speedy cut once, and while I didn't like it, my daughter didn't mind it. I agree it is good for beginners if that is all they can find. At least it gives you the practice of how it looks to carve, reverse image, etc. But last resort is about it.

I am soooooo jealous of the Japanese carving blocks, from what I see on different websites (that show carved blocks), they look wonderful, and smooth. I like the thickness, no need for mounting.. But shipping is a bear!

If you are selling your own stamps on Etsy, the white Japanese blocks just photograph so nicely when inked in contrasting bright colors. Sounds lame, but I was definitely drawn to them.
Oct 10, 2013 9:15pm
Thread
No!!! No!!!
Oh my gosh. No!!!
Im too picky now.
My Sound of Music ltcs were on blue stuff bc I was broke. I cried as I carved & kept telling myself "it's not that bad, i can kinda tell its Julia Andrews".

Comments: *that whistle sound when nothings going on*
Reply to: #809864 by crosscresent
Oct 10, 2013 9:21pm
Thread
The best stuff (they should market it & call it The Best Stuff) was the rubber hamburger stamps at walmart & the hippo & rhino stamps at the dollar tree!!! A m a z i n g ! I cant find them anymore :(

BUT!!!! and I repeat BUT!!!... Those big white erasers at the Dollar General are NOT... and I repeat NOT!!!... the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are blue stuff & a cute tempting image!!!!
&$*%#!!!!!!
Reply to: #809833 by Raven
Oct 11, 2013 3:46am
Thread
My niece gave me a piece. I wouldn't wish this stuff on anyone. Like carving on a block of well aged extra sharp cheddar cheese.
Oct 11, 2013 6:34am
Thread
Let me start by saying I am not by any means an expert, an arts and crafty person, or ever much of a carver.

I started out with Master Carve and the Tan stuff. I used very non detailed things from coloring books. Funny little pictures but NO detail.

Had I tried that with the good stuff, I never would have carved the second HH and also my dear husband, Coffee Mug would never have started carving in this hobby at all. He could see that he wanted more detail immediately after seeing the texture of what I was using and went immediately to Webfoot's site.

I still say that the non artsy person in me enjoyed the little bit I did carve but quickly learned my job in this family was clue writing and planting vs carving.

His carvings are great. Thanks, Coffee Mug.
Reply to: #809875 by turkey feathers
Oct 11, 2013 8:06am
Thread
Like carving on a block of well aged extra sharp cheddar cheese.

Mmmmmmmmm, cheese. :-P <licking lips>

That is almost as good as bacon.
Reply to: #809892 by Granny Butterfly
Oct 11, 2013 9:46am
Thread
I didn't know Coffee Mug was your dh. I have always loved that siggy stamp!
Oct 11, 2013 6:21pm
Thread
Thanks for all the advice! I use the printer at work specifically because it is a laser and my home printer is inkjet. Hence, why I can't use parchment paper, everyone gets nosy when someone uses non-standard paper. I think first, I am going to buy a new bottle of acetone. The one I have is from an old school project and is more than a few years old. Then, thanks to all of your help I will be experimenting with irons and wet transfers. If it dries out as fast as you say, I won't bother with the blender pen. Here in Arizona, my ink pads dry out in a matter of days...
I can't wait to get started!!! Thanks!
OZ is making me crazy!!
Oct 13, 2013 3:54pm
Thread
First off, apologies to the puffin. Nothing personal. I just can't seem to get a leg up on this material.

I carved a very detailed stamp (yes, it is possible to do that, but I found it hard to control my tools in this hard material, so curved lines are wiggly) and now I can't seem to make a clean impression. I very lightly sanded it, wiped it down with acetone, and put a nice piece of soft foam on the back. I'm using a good stamp pad. what else can I try?
Re: OZ is making me crazy!!
Reply to: #810168 by artTrekker
Oct 13, 2013 4:03pm
Thread
what else can I try?

Sending it to me!
But in all seriousness, I don't prep the surface at all and I love the stuff. I don't mount. I use wintergreen oil to transfer my image from a laser printer. But I let it set and remove all excess oil and I usually don't carve that same day. After carving I clean my carve with soap and hot water, then rub it clean on a hand towel. I either use Staz-on or Ranger Archival Ink pads based on the specific craft I'm working on.
Oct 13, 2013 4:06pm
Thread
If it has a lot of solid areas, they will be slightly blotchy. I attribute this to the OZ not blowing as absorbant or flexible as the pink.
Reply to: #810170 by FloridaFour
Oct 13, 2013 4:08pm
Thread
If it has a lot of solid areas, they will be slightly blotchy.

That might be the difference. I find that most my images don't have much solid areas.
Oct 13, 2013 4:32pm
Thread

It does seem the solid areas are the biggest problem. Some of them have very fine detail, and the blotchy just obliterates everything. What's the point of getting fine detail if it doesn't show?
Reply to: #810175 by artTrekker
Oct 13, 2013 4:40pm
Thread
I know what you mean. I think it shows fine detail well with negative carves, and will hold the negative lines. I think with any super fine positive lines, some will be obliterated by the ink. Bet to use an ink that isn't too thick. I like Versafine ink, or Ranger Archival dye ink. Thicker pigment inks probably will fill in the thin white areas too much.
Reply to: #810177 by FloridaFour
Oct 13, 2013 4:45pm
Thread
Ah. that might be the problem. i don't use pigment inks. i use Stazon or dye inks with OZ and i don't get blotchiness. Could this be the solution??

~tigs (who carves basically on OZ and nothing else)
Oct 13, 2013 4:47pm
Thread

That's not necessarily the fault of the carving material.
Oct 13, 2013 4:51pm
Thread
My stamps are detailed and don't have large solid areas, but for what it's worth, if I'm having trouble I clean the stamp, ink it up with Stazon, and don't stamp it, just let the ink dry on the stamp. I find it makes the surface a little more tacky and receptive to the ink.
Reply to: #810182 by Aiphid
Oct 13, 2013 4:52pm
Thread
That's not necessarily the fault of the carving material.

Yes, that is my biggest problem is making a good impression! No really, I often find it difficult to stamp my impressions well.
Reply to: #810184 by nosox
Oct 13, 2013 4:54pm
Thread
Love the new siggy stamp pic. You always have the most awesome image up there!!
Reply to: #810175 by artTrekker
Oct 13, 2013 5:05pm
Thread
the solid areas are the biggest problem. Some of them have very fine detail,

I'm not really sure what you mean by it being solid areas that have fine detail. Is it a negative image?