Sep 29, 2013 8:42pm
Thread
Very bad
Re: Moo Carve????
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #808026 by Taradacyl
Sep 29, 2013 11:51pm
Thread
Do a search of this board and you'll find info going back a few years.

K
Sep 30, 2013 4:24am
Thread
we're pretty sure they make it out of cottage cheese. . .

~tigs
Sep 30, 2013 6:31am
Thread
*sigh*

Ok, once and for all...

DON'T CARVE THE COWS!
Reply to: #808067 by Fluffy Cow
Sep 30, 2013 7:18am
Thread
Ok, once and for all...

DON'T CARVE THE COWS!

LOL! Yes, but one would be better to carve what comes OUT of the backside of cows than that Moo stuff!
Reply to: #808072 by FORAYCH
Sep 30, 2013 7:28am
Thread
You can carve METHANE!?!??!?!?!?!
Reply to: #808073 by Fluffy Cow
Sep 30, 2013 7:40am
Thread
You can carve METHANE!?!??!?!?!?!

ROFLMAO!!! :)
Good Pink :)
Oct 1, 2013 11:56am
I found 2 slabs of 09 pink at my Blick today!
Re: Sweetloveqiner Random Color Material
Reply to: #806199 by Kirbert
Oct 4, 2013 3:25pm
Thread
Based on Kirbert's review, I ordered this material too. I got 3 pieces of colored (which turned out to be fuscia, yellow, and turquoise) and a piece of white. It only took two weeks, order to arrival, and I second all of Kirbert's observations - very smooth without being overly soft, easy to carve, and inked surface behaves way better, without sanding, washing, or any other prep. I carved some teeny lines and dots as well as larger lines, and background removal. Now I'm putting the sample carve in a baggie in the freezer to see how it holds up to the winter.

For Kirbert - my package came with a piece of material about 8" x 10" and 1/2" thick. It looks like a fine-partical cork-like material, but stiffer and heavier than I would expect cork to be. I think it was for stabilizing the package in transit, but I wonder if it has carving or other craft potential. Was this in your package? Any idea what it is??
Reply to: #808893 by Wise Wanderer
Oct 4, 2013 5:49pm
Thread
I didn't get that stuff. I'd probably find a use for it, even if it isn't carving!
Reply to: #808916 by Kirbert
Oct 5, 2013 9:48pm
Thread
Asked the seller what it was, and got this reply:

dear buyer,
the particle cork is a gift for you.After the rubber has been carved,on glue to hold the particle cork and the rubber together,so When you using rubber is more convenient.

Can you understand what I mean?
any question,please feel free to contact me.
Have a nice day!

So apparently the suggested use is as a backing to the stamp. It's much firmer than foam, but not as hard as wood. Hmmmmm . . . maybe a set of coasters or a trivet??
First timer
Oct 8, 2013 3:39pm
Thread
I am interested in making my first carve, and have some Speedy carve. I will hunt down my old linoleum tools.

My question is about the subject matter. I don't want to copy a photo or clip art, and will keep my first design simple. Does the image I choose need to reflect the location I hide it in or my name or some particular holiday/theme? Can I be somewhat random and just draw what I like?
Re: First timer
Reply to: #809495 by Sunia
Oct 8, 2013 3:57pm
Thread
Does the image I choose need to reflect the location I hide it in or my name or some particular holiday/theme? Can I be somewhat random and just draw what I like?

All of the above! It's interesting to find a carve that is relevant to the area, but just as much fun to something creative and original. Do something that's meaningful to you. The rest of us will appreciate it for what it is, a work of art, no matter the subject!
Oct 8, 2013 4:20pm
Thread
Carve ANYTHING you like!
Oct 8, 2013 4:35pm
Thread
As an artist, I prefer to carve what I like.... then try if possible, to find a place to hide it. I'm not really into history, so I dont tend to carve historical things or places. Sometimes you can be creative with a story, and make the carve subject fit the trail or place you are at. But just have fun!
Reply to: #809501 by KO
Oct 8, 2013 7:56pm
Thread
I had tto travel a long way to find my first box. If you plant a boxer will enjoy.
Oct 8, 2013 8:28pm
Thread
Just be careful with words. So when you stamp, they arent backwards!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! I still totally blunder on this because i sometimes carve right on the stuff with out having transfered an image. Im ridiculous! Haha!

Just have fun!
~cc
Oct 9, 2013 7:28am
Thread
first carve

need to reflect

my name

Are you needing a signature stamp? If so, yes, your first carve might be your signature stamp, so reflect upon yourself for that one in some way...otherwise what they say...
image transfer
Oct 10, 2013 12:47pm
Thread
What is the consensus on the best product for image transfer, other than using parchment paper and special printers? I have tried wintergreen oil, which has a tendency to run. Acetone, which comes out a lot lighter than I would like. And pencil tracing/rubbing which is ok for blocky type images but not great for detail. I have heard of a blender pen? But am not sure what it is or how well is works. I am getting seriously frustrated at the lack of options. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Re: image transfer
Reply to: #809770 by connecticut croaker
Oct 10, 2013 1:03pm
Thread
It depends on what kind of printer you are using. I think a blender pen is similar to acetone, my art teacher uses blender pens. They dry up quickly, so then she just dips them into acetone. You are using 100% acetone, right?

Acetone for me is by far the best, with my laser printer. I don't knowbif it works for ink jets. You need a nice crisp black and white copy, though. Any grey in the background makes it hard to see.

I used to get nice transfer on my laser printer with just ironing it onto the rubber. But we bought new toner, and now it won't work at all.

I can't stand the smell of the botanical oils, but they worked ok.

You may get better detail with pencil if you just press with an iron, rather than rubbing, which smears it. Seal with stazon ink.
Oct 10, 2013 1:57pm
Thread
What kind of printer are you using. Blender pens are xylene, and they work just like acetone. They are both solvents that seem to dissolve and soften the image, but they only work with laserjet images, and even then not all of them. And FF is right. They go out pretty fast, so I'm loving the idea of being able to dip it in acetone, awesome idea, because I love the precision of the tip. I'm going to try to refill it from the back and see what happens.
Speedball Speedy-Cut Easy (blue stuff)
Oct 10, 2013 5:10pm
Thread
Just a word in favor of Speedball Speedy-Cut "Easy" (blue stuff).

It is the only media available at Hobby Lobby $4.99 for a 4x6 block.
On my last visit to Michael's there was no rubber in stock.
For some beginners, this is how they start... at the hobby shop.

It works just fine.
Re: Speedball Speedy-Cut Easy (blue stuff)
Reply to: #809827 by Rick in Boca
Oct 10, 2013 5:40pm
Thread
I'd try it if I ever saw it. Why not right?
Reply to: #809833 by Raven
Oct 10, 2013 5:46pm
Thread
Miss C., I don't think you'd like it, but I have a chunk left from a carve I did recently when I had no other carving material available that I could send you if you want to try it. I don't think it would be suitable for your type of detailed carves because it crumbles badly when you're doing tight curves, etc. with a gouge. It pills up easily, too, along any cut edge. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get good detail with. I have no idea how it would be for a knife carver.
Reply to: #809834 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 10, 2013 5:55pm
Thread
Yeah, near as I can tell, it's identical to tan Speedy Cut, but they changed the colour. (Maybe they caught on to its bad reputation?) But compared to pink, it's awful.
Oct 10, 2013 5:59pm
Thread
One thing that makes acetone/laser transfers darker is to remove the paper when it is wet. If you wait until it is dry the toner re-adheres to the paper. Getting the paper that wet can result in some degradation (running) of the image. It also helps if the carving material is stickier which can be accomplished with by wiping softer materials with acetone or sanding harder materials.
Reply to: #809834 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 10, 2013 6:58pm
Thread
Oh ew! Hate speedy cut!!
Oct 10, 2013 7:45pm
Thread
I had to try blue stuff since our only hobby shop is hobby lobby which used to sell pink stuff but replaced it with blue. I hate it...cuts are not sharp, it crumbles, and you can use your finger to rub off the material. I bet it won't hold up over time. Bring back pink stuff!
Reply to: #809836 by lonnewsom
Oct 10, 2013 8:14pm
Thread
One thing that makes acetone/laser transfers darker is to remove the paper when it is wet.

Thanks for this bit of info. Here in the Sierra, everything dries *so* quickly. I just did a transfer for a good-sized stamp, and I think it'll work fine, but darker would have been better. I used a swab and swabbed top to bottom in a swath, after two swaths, things were pretty dry, so you are making the case for lifting the left edge of the transfer as I work my way to the right swiping swaths (make a poem outta that, Grumpy!).
Oct 10, 2013 8:21pm
Thread
Rick in Boca,

I bought some tan speedy cut once, and while I didn't like it, my daughter didn't mind it. I agree it is good for beginners if that is all they can find. At least it gives you the practice of how it looks to carve, reverse image, etc. But last resort is about it.

I am soooooo jealous of the Japanese carving blocks, from what I see on different websites (that show carved blocks), they look wonderful, and smooth. I like the thickness, no need for mounting.. But shipping is a bear!

If you are selling your own stamps on Etsy, the white Japanese blocks just photograph so nicely when inked in contrasting bright colors. Sounds lame, but I was definitely drawn to them.