A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: Stampin Up Rubber
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #804813 by Topcollector
Sep 15, 2013 3:05pm
Thread
Somebody gave me a small square of white carving stuff. The minute my tool it it, I was like "crap!"

Im officially too into this game to not care. Not enough patience. I even put a drop of oil on my gouge. No thankyou :(
Thanks for the heads up :/
Re: Half Reversed Gouge
Reply to: #804552 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 16, 2013 3:06pm
Thread
You hone them with a whetting stone/sharpening stone under the magnifying lamp. Though the lamp is not a necessity unless your eyes are older than mud.

MM
Re: a video of reverse use
Reply to: #804612 by Khameleon
Sep 16, 2013 3:11pm
Thread
I finally understand how so many of you create that realistic look to fur and wildlife using these gouges.

Once you really get the hang of a gouge you can almost use it like a paint brush, feathering effects, etc, hair lines, things like that. Take some scraps and practice getting those kinds of effects.

MM
Reply to: #805229 by MissMoon
Sep 16, 2013 3:18pm
Thread
Yeah, I gotta say that a gouge is a more appropriate tool for an "arteest" than a hobby knife. With my style of knife carving, if it's not in the original transferred image, it's not in the finished stamp. But if you're the kinda person that can "wing it" when doing fur, feathers, etc., the gouge is probably the way to go.
Re: Sharpen your tools
Reply to: #804584 by scouttrekkie
Sep 16, 2013 9:24pm
Thread
Me too, can you give us more details of your sharpening technique?

I believe that Kirbert has a tutorial somewhere, but I can never find it when I want to. The sharpening stones from Harbor Freight say to not use oil so I don't. I just lay the gouge, one side at a time, against the stone. I find where the current edge is; you'll feel when it lies with the most edge against the stone. You then go in small circles for a few seconds, then do the other edge. I get the bottom of the V by quickly going from one side to the other.

Kirbert's tutorial says to get the inside with a ceramic knife. I haven't tried that yet, but I still got some sharp gouges. The non-V gouges are done in a similar way; just do the long edges first then catch the corners quickly.

Kirbert is the sharpening expert, so I'd recommend following his recommendations. These things are just what I did.
Reply to: #805231 by Kirbert
Sep 16, 2013 9:28pm
Thread
With my style of knife carving, if it's not in the original transferred image, it's not in the finished stamp.

I'm primarily a gouge carver. I've got one of Kirbert's stamps that I still need to plant. I'm amazed at how he gets such straight and parallel cuts with a blade. I've tried some straight ones and I've gotten better, but I don't know how to get those curved lines that are so consistent.

How about a video tutorial Kirbert?
Reply to: #805324 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 17, 2013 12:52am
Thread
I tried making a video some time back, but I couldn't get my camera to focus right so I gave it up. Now I know a few more tricks with my camera, so perhaps I'll try again.
Reply to: #805322 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 17, 2013 12:59am
Thread
If you're buying anything for sharpening in a Harbor Freight Tools store, I highly recommend skipping the stones and get a diamond hone. Much better for gouge sharpening!

Harbor Freight Tools also sells ceramic knives. You might wanna pick up one of those while you're there, too.

I hesitate to recommend that people start honing their own gouges. It seems simple enough to me, but judging from some of the tools that have been sent to me for sharpening after someone evidently tried to do it themselves, the concept escapes some people. Honestly, some of them look like they just dragged the tip across a coarse stone at some random orientation in hopes it would somehow get sharper. Hint: I don't use a 10x magnifier for carving, but I do use one for sharpening gouges! If you're still dodging the recommendation to get some form of magnification for carving, you can pretty much forget about honing your own gouges.
Reply to: #805334 by Kirbert
Sep 17, 2013 2:39am
Thread
1. What do you charge for resharpening tools?
And
2. Where does one get a 10x magnifier!?!

Lisa
Sep 17, 2013 6:28am
Thread
get a diamond hone.

I think that is what I have. It is a block with four sides and sits in a base. There are diamond depressions all over each face. Because it doesn't require oil, I'm more likely to just pull it out for a little sharpening a blade.
Reply to: #805389 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 17, 2013 9:12am
Thread
It is a block with four sides and sits in a base. There are diamond depressions all over each face.

Yeah, that's the diamond hone -- but it's not called that because of all the diamond-shaped holes in the faces. It's called that because the surfaces are impregnated with tiny particles of diamond. No, you don't use a honing oil with a diamond hone, use it dry. And it will sharpen a ceramic knife (if you ever need to!), which a lot of knife sharpeners will not.
Reply to: #805335 by idlemoon
Sep 17, 2013 9:34am
Thread
OK, with just a bit of looking I've discovered that my Bausch & Lomb lighted magnifier A) is called an "Illuminated Coddington", B) is available at Grainger, and C) is a lot more expensive than I realized!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BAUSCH-LOMB-Lighted-Coddington-Magnifier-3G993?gclid=COeB06nr0rkCFURp7Aodj2QAMA&cm_mmc=PPC:GooglePLA-_-Hand%20Tools-_-Measuring%20and%20Layout%20Tools-_-3G993&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=3G993&ef_id=SvKHvdBkLCYAAAzBqPAAAAMA:20130917162123:s

Mine was company-issue to test engineers when I worked at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft back in the 1980's.

One thing I've always hated about this design -- I had actually used a few before I was issued my own -- is that the rolled threads in the sheet metal handle don't engage the threads in the plastic head too securely so every now and then the head pops right off. Back when I first got this one I modified it. I cut a short piece of copper tubing, probably 3/4" diameter, and slit it lengthwise so I could spread it just enough so it would fit around the handle. I cut the top to fit snugly around the lens area. Then I drilled several holes for tiny screws -- some to hold the copper collar to the head, others to hold it to the base. That sucker will not pop apart!

It's worked well all these years, although I must say the light is a bit of a joke. If they've modernized this design and gone with a super-bright LED it might be better, but mine uses one of those pathetic penlight bulbs with the little magnifying lens built into the bulb itself. Even when it works -- which usually involves a shake, or opening it up altogether and cleaning up the battery contacts -- the light is pathetic, only helpful if you're pretty much in complete darkness.

The optics are, as far as I can tell, flawless. You can see ever burr on a freshly-sharpened gouge with crystal clarity.
Reply to: #804544 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 17, 2013 10:08am
Thread
Not really about sharpening, but just had to post this little magnifying glass I love. The light is super and still on the first bulb for over a year. It also comes apart for easy travel or storage. Free shipping. I got mine for $11.23, but still only $14.99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARSON-GN-77-MagniLamp-LED-Light-2x-Detachable-Rimless-Magnifier-/200959494408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eca1e8908
Reply to: #805436 by Kirbert
Sep 17, 2013 10:21am
Thread
The reviews at the link you posted suggest that the product quality has decreased since the 80s.

From the looks of it, this is not a tool you use while you're doing work (like a jeweler's eyepiece) but is something you pick up after you've done work so you can inspect what you've done. Is that right?
Sep 17, 2013 10:30am
Thread
LOL! I bet you meant me...I really screwed up a 1V that way. Gave my ceramic knife away and sent my stuff to you to sharpen. Lesson learned!
Reply to: #805451 by Milk Money
Sep 17, 2013 10:35am
Thread
This would be good for me if it was 5x. 2x just ain't gonna hack it for this old guy. I bought a 5x at amazon a couple years ago that had a lot of distortion. Still using it but had to get used to the distortion.
Reply to: #805461 by BBStacker
Sep 17, 2013 10:57am
Thread
I do wear glasses. Maybe that's why it works so great for me :)
Sep 17, 2013 11:31am
Thread
I use one of these beauties:
http://www.jewelrysupply.com/product.asp?itemid=11216&gclid=CLH9saSI07kCFYmf4Aodnx0AaQ
along with a bright desk lamp -
Reply to: #805468 by Milk Money
Sep 17, 2013 5:03pm
Thread
Agreed. I wear glasses as well but when I bought a 2x it didn't help me very much. Still have it in a drawer somewhere. This is the one I bought but this one looks a bit more modern. Wonder if the distortion was fixed? Hmmmm.
Reply to: #805457 by Fish Below The Ice
Sep 17, 2013 5:28pm
Thread
Yeah, that 10x is only usable for inspection. On the plus side, it's the same magnification used by jewelers to grade diamonds.
Reply to: #805460 by FunnyMingo
Sep 17, 2013 5:29pm
Thread
Yours weren't the worst I've seen, FunnyMingo!
Sep 17, 2013 5:34pm
Thread
I think the more powerful the magnification, the closer you've gotta get it to your eyes to avoid excessive distortion. Once you get past about 3x, I think you can pretty much give up on the one large magnifier idea; it's time to switch to individual magnifiers for each eye, mounted on glasses or whatnot. That seems the situation anyway, based on the products available and my own trials using them.

I had pretty good results using a 3x desktop magnifier in conjunction with a pair of +3.00 reading glasses.
Reply to: #805525 by BBStacker
Sep 17, 2013 5:39pm
Thread
That does look great. Don't know about the distortion factor. The one I use is rimless, and runs on battery. Still haven't had to change them. With my old glass I was ALWAYS changing them.

Have fun...Keep carving.
Re: Marking/Identifying Modified Blades
Reply to: #800963 by nosox
Sep 18, 2013 10:46am
Thread
Our gouges are in pen holders with different color foam tubes on them. They are the finger cushion tubes. Two are in cork Kohinor pen holders. A quick glance tells you which blade is which.
Re: Gouge Modification Photos
Reply to: #801909 by Kirbert
Sep 18, 2013 12:12pm
Thread
{I'm 6'4" and 300 lb, no shortage of strength here}

No way! I had you pegged for a medium-height skinny guy with a large-ish brainy head. Oh man, where did I get that image and how will I ever correct it???

Hope to meet you in person someday, Kirbert but I think we're at opposite ends of the country. :-)
Reply to: #803225 by Kirbert
Sep 18, 2013 12:53pm
Thread
So where can we get the 2U and/or 3U? They are not listed on Stampeaz.

They look great for cutting back on the mountain-topping part of carving. Even with the clear photos, I'm not sure which size is best. We have a #5 that looks to be the size of the 3U pictured there. I can tell the #5 has been heated and reworked (Wood-aug) but I doubt it's size was that much different. Kirbert as crazy as it sounds is #3 and #5 the same size?

Any help in locating these and solving my undecidedness is appreciated.
Reply to: #805770 by Kurious Jo
Sep 18, 2013 1:05pm
Thread
I'm 6'4" and 300 lb, no shortage of strength here

Thus is explained the plethora of cashew containers.
Reply to: #805783 by Kurious Jo
Sep 18, 2013 2:34pm
Thread
Oh duh I read the full description for the U3. It *is* smaller than our #5, right? Great!!!

Now to figure out how to get them.
Reply to: #805783 by Kurious Jo
Sep 18, 2013 4:27pm
Thread
Yeah, Webfoot hasn't opted to start carrying the 2U or 3U. Jump on her case!

No, the 3U is about half the size of a normal #5. The 2U is probably less than half the size of a 3U!
Reply to: #805841 by Kirbert
Sep 19, 2013 5:37pm
Thread
Yeah, Webfoot hasn't opted to start carrying the 2U or 3U. Jump on her case!

Consider her case jumped on. ;-)

Kirbert, I'll be sending you a big box of goodies to play with very shortly. If you have a particular number of each you think I should include, say so and I'll make it so.

Webfoot (trying to smooth the dents back out of her case... )