A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: Thin lines?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #802377 by artTrekker
Sep 3, 2013 3:15pm
Thread
No!! I didn't mean to guilt the puffin!! Really I didn't!

I was teasing! Besides, the puffin is feeling impatient with the process, right along with everyone else! LOL!

All the best!!

Webfoot
Reply to: #802368 by Webfoot
Sep 3, 2013 7:51pm
Thread
You know my address!
Reply to: #802368 by Webfoot
Sep 3, 2013 8:08pm
Thread
who is working on a new set of orange samples...

If you need testers, count me in. :)

dp
Wow! Good pink stuff.
Sep 3, 2013 8:17pm
Thread
Just opened a new package of pink stuff, did a heat transfer on it & started carving. Perfect. Firm & no crumbles. I think it's the best pink stuff I've ever carved on. Got it at Hobby Lobby about a week ago.
Re: Wow! Good pink stuff.
Reply to: #802511 by Topcollector
Sep 3, 2013 8:24pm
Thread
The label!!
What did it say?! What did it say?!?!?!
Sep 3, 2013 8:24pm
Thread
is there a copyright date on it?
Reply to: #802513 by crosscresent
Sep 3, 2013 9:37pm
Thread
Yes! We need to know what that label says!
Sep 3, 2013 9:46pm
Thread
The GREAT Pink Stuff that was sent to me directly from Speedball was labeled 2012. So I really don't think the label is what defines the quality.
Reply to: #802531 by The Lost Boys
Sep 3, 2013 11:34pm
Thread
I'll be making it clear that the label needs to change sometime after the bugs are worked out and the product is what it needs to be. Anyone who has been burned by the lousy batch is going to be hesitant to ever buy any more Speedy-Carve with the 2012 copyright date -- no matter what assurances are made. There will need to be a new label that makes it clear you're not buying the old stock, you're buying the new stuff.
Reply to: #802541 by Kirbert
Sep 4, 2013 1:09am
Thread
I'm hesitant period. That stuff just sucks no matter what year is on it. It holds no fine detail at all. It's just too unreliable for my liking. Don't waste your money and just buy from Webfoot.
Reply to: #802543 by Raven
Sep 4, 2013 1:15am
Thread
Don't waste your money and just buy from Webfoot.

Can't hit "agree" enough. ;) Webby not only rocks, but is one of us! Viva la Webfeut!!! ;)
Reply to: #802531 by The Lost Boys
Sep 4, 2013 4:07am
Thread
The GREAT Pink Stuff that was sent to me directly from Speedball was labeled 2012.

. I find it very odd that you got decent medium with and replacement which I got which is new batch ( can tell by color) is still crumbly. Maybe not perhaps as other crumbly version but still not the original. Any chance you've never had the good pink and mislead to believe that your new replacement being better than old crumbly is ok? Just a thought.
And yes, you can't go by the label. Not the born on date. Only when label itself was designed. Kirbert has it spot on by saying : when batch is finally back to par, newly designed label. I'm thinking a big smiley face on it : )
Sep 4, 2013 7:12am
Thread
I got lucky at Hobby Lobby the other day and found a 4x6 slab from 2009 :)

The newly stocked slabs are dated 2012 :( I did buy one and it's crumbly.

Getting by on what I have until I can get some new supply.
Reply to: #802575 by GypsyLadybug
Sep 4, 2013 8:21am
Thread
I have a bunch of 2009, and am having no luck with fine details. Are you?
Reply to: #802513 by crosscresent
Sep 4, 2013 8:54am
Thread
I'll have to dig around & find the label. I though of that after I posted last night. At work now so it will be later today. Check back.
Reply to: #802588 by Raven
Sep 4, 2013 9:04am
Thread
This is directed at no one person in particular, but it needs to be said. For everyone complaining about not being able to carve details on pink, I've been carving exclusively on pink since PZ went scarce. Any LTCs of mine dated 2010 or later? Carved on pink.

Some examples:
- http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sN_E7QtmRZo/URE_vTydmSI/AAAAAAAAAEg/rTQzAYVk_iU/s1600/IMAGE_98BCFE27-CFC9-4AD8-89E9-AD94D7EE0103.JPG
- http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lmLfAXeU2ug/URE__diIW6I/AAAAAAAAAEo/eRAT1LNy8C8/s1600/IMAGE_ACA122CB-EA0E-4E72-B80D-27E46E519672.JPG
- http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uJDNkoONoIA/URFCJNI6H9I/AAAAAAAAAGA/7-f1C4vErok/s1600/IMAGE_9294875B-97A4-4407-88C0-319348AC7B34.JPG
- http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IS3I9pxJaAU/URFC9P5ihpI/AAAAAAAAAGg/Psi48c-4WyI/s1600/IMAGE_65E1C79E-BF14-4A62-B96C-E1A0D1869A23.JPG
- http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nDvQffXc-_I/URE_Ic6z7vI/AAAAAAAAAEI/T0ImzqgCKK8/s1600/IMAGE_281BD1AA-67CB-4E44-AB22-046C845F0260.JPG
- http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UcWQq3gRkxA/URE_ir8rsBI/AAAAAAAAAEY/hg-TmNEMFPA/s1600/IMAGE_A66FDF9B-5F11-438C-BC85-5BE24A6AE258.JPG
- http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--0ORsC86icc/URFIkbR1hgI/AAAAAAAAAIQ/oabo7RIrzDg/s1600/IMAGE_9ED52304-BF1A-473E-8420-68B30ACA416E.JPG
- http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wJSN7IDQ19Y/URFCkI8T-3I/AAAAAAAAAGQ/sqTdb-pBvPU/s1600/IMAGE_47644E0C-6E31-41EC-8F5A-A974284D36C2.JPG
- http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qdEPyOGnj9w/URE_VfIKPVI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/pfzBOMKIegk/s1600/IMAGE_0BEC2DC5-6DC7-4A40-B108-FA43E62D0105.JPG

Orange PZ was my medium of choice. Adjusting to pink was not a picnic. But it can be done. (And yes, when Webby finally has a new orange, I'll be trying it out.) And carving on pink is not the death of detail.
Reply to: #802595 by BfloAnonChick
Sep 4, 2013 9:08am
Thread
I've seen a lot of fantastic stamps carved in pink. Those are great, I've seen some great pink stamps by Mim, and nosox has a ton (I think literally) of highly detailed stamps carved on pink (just to identify a few).

But I don't like pink. I carve too deep, and I have to thin most of my lines, and pink doesn't like that. Many of my old pink stamps have broken lines :(

But you can definitely get some good detail on that stuff :)
Sep 4, 2013 9:18am
Thread
This is directed at no one person in particular, but it needs to be said. For everyone complaining about not being able to carve details on pink, I've been carving exclusively on pink since PZ went scarce. Any LTCs of mine dated 2010 or later? Carved on pink.

I have always loved pink actually and previously had no problem with detail, but the new stuff that i have been getting dated after 2012 does crumble for me and no longer allows for my detail. Now if I had never been able to get detail on it then that would be one thing...but the new pink that I have crumbles the moment that I try to make a small line and it is also a slightly different color. So although not all of the pink is bad there is some new pink stuff out there that just no longer works for me period.
Reply to: #802599 by Seattle Bound
Sep 4, 2013 9:24am
Thread
All that being said...yes i agree some great stamps have been created off of the pink. But none of those stamps will be getting carved on the pink available in Fairbanks.
Reply to: #802291 by Kirbert
Sep 4, 2013 9:53am
Thread
The secret there is to be carving orange PZ Kut. The translucent orange color lights up like a light bulb when it's sliced. The good pink stuff does, too, to a much smaller but still workable extent.

It's also been suggested to use Staz-On Mustard to accentuate the difference between carved and uncarved areas. If that doesn't work well on pink then I may have to try orange PZ.

Well, as a knife carver of considerable experience, allow me to confess that I don't do that. I make the slice along the edge of the image, and then I come back with a needle or gouge to remove the rubber. The gouge will readily follow the existing slice and dig pieces out with ease. The needle is used only to remove pieces that are too narrow for a gouge to fit in there.

Ahh, true confessions :) Again a wonderful suggestion for me to try out.

Thanks for all the help.
CTEE
Reply to: #802233 by chili pepper
Sep 4, 2013 10:00am
Thread
Hmmm...I think i resemble that remark.

Yup! 'Twas you whom I was watching :0

If you carefully bend the stamp after the first cut, you can see the first line. This was easily done on the old pink, but the new stuff may break if you overdo it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.

Also, wear 3X reading glasses even if they make you look like a dork :)

Wearing 3X over my current reading glasses seems like it won't work well and I'm not sure how it would work instead of my reading glasses.....time to visit the Dollar store to check out the 3X. Then we can look dorky together or I can get a lighted magnifier lamp and take dorky to a whole new level ;) Kinda prefer the 3X though since they can be used anywhere and don't need electricity.....though that's an idea....light up 3X glasses! LOL

Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #802543 by Raven
Sep 4, 2013 10:07am
Thread
If Webfoot offered anything that was any good, I would.
Sep 4, 2013 10:19am
Thread
The "good" pink, the stuff prior to the past year or so, is and always has been an excellent product. Even when everything was available, PZ Kut orange and white, MasterCarve, various Dollar Tree erasers, the good pink stuff had ranked #3 on my list of all-time favorite carving materials. Its only downsides were A) while a high degree of detail could be carved, some of that detail could be lost by a stamper pressing it against the paper too hard and causing the rubber to spread. Very narrow black lines (my specialty!) always stamped a bit wider due to spread. And B) the stuff cost more than PZ Kut.

Now the top 4 materials on that list -- PZ Kut orange, PZ Kut white, pink stuff, and MasterCarve -- are all gone. OZ wouldn't even make that list; it's just the best thing we have left. Just about the only good thing I have to say about it is that it doesn't have the pink's problem of being too soft; narrow black lines print very narrow indeed! But trying to cut out a tiny white dot for an eye or something is a study in frustration as the point of an X-Acto just deforms the rubber and can't get it to let go.
Reply to: #802613 by CTEagleEye
Sep 4, 2013 10:26am
Thread
It's also been suggested to use Staz-On Mustard to accentuate the difference between carved and uncarved areas.

No, these are two different concepts. The use of Staz-On Mustard (or any other permanent light color ink) is a trick that gouge carvers use to clearly delineate where they've carved. When a sliver is removed, the un-inked white underneath clearly stands out. But this does nothing for a knife carver, because no sliver is removed. For a knife carver, the only solution is orange PZ Kut or pink stuff or some other material that brightens when sliced. Yeah, you can bend the material and watch the slices open up, but that's a PITA. When knife-carving a material that doesn't show me what's been cut, I usually just establish a pattern to help me remember what I've cut and what I haven't, and then do the bending at the end as a check to make sure I didn't forget anything.
Reply to: #802614 by CTEagleEye
Sep 4, 2013 10:29am
Thread
Wearing 3X over my current reading glasses seems like it won't work well and I'm not sure how it would work instead of my reading glasses...

Uhhh, yes, it does. Michael's sells a pair of clip-on reading glasses for about $10 or so, +2.25 power. Since I use prescription reading glasses with +2.00 magnification, I just clip these on top for carving. They flip up when I need to see something a foot away.
Reply to: #802621 by Kirbert
Sep 4, 2013 10:42am
Thread
I've actually purchased pink within the last year, dated 2012, that was fine. Took detail, and the stamps have held up. There was a fairly dark period late last summer into the fall where it seemed all I got was crap, but I've learned what to look for (and it does not involve opening packages and bending the corner!), and I've been fine.

I will say that pink may carve differently for knife carvers; I've never carved with anything but Staedtler gouges.
Sep 4, 2013 10:52am
Thread

I just finished a carve on some 2009 with some very detailed type on it and it was a nightmare. I was using a mini 1v staedtler and people are familiar with my carves. I know a lot of it just comes down to comfort zone and opinion, but that stuff I was working on is a mess. Maybe I was just carving out of my ability.
Reply to: #802625 by BfloAnonChick
Sep 4, 2013 10:56am
Thread
but I've learned what to look for (and it does not involve opening packages and bending the corner!)

I know this sounds weird, but I noticed a difference in the shade of pink when purchasing 2012 Pink Stuff and that helps to distinguish some of the batches.

Check out the Variations of Pink on the right side

The bit sturdier Pink Stuff is a light, dull shade of pink (middle row -- far right square). It's not perfect, but holds up much better than the crumbly stuff.

The flimsy, crumbly Pink Stuff tends to be brighter pink, closer to the middle row center square (but I have found some a bit lighter such as the top row far left square).

When sat side by side, it's easy to distinguish a color difference between the two. But inside the store and/or purchasing online makes it far more difficult to determine.
Reply to: #802632 by Raven
Sep 4, 2013 11:14am
Thread
I just finished a carve on some 2009 with some very detailed type on it and it was a nightmare. I was using a mini 1v staedtler and people are familiar with my carves. I know a lot of it just comes down to comfort zone and opinion, but that stuff I was working on is a mess. Maybe I was just carving out of my ability.

No.... I've seen it and that carve wasn't even close to out of your zone. People know my work as well and I do a ton of detail and I've never had an issue with pink until some of these new slabs...and no I don't pull it out and bend it either. It seems to be a toss up. I am the only one in the area who buys and I believe I have gotten the last of the good stuff here because now it just gets worse and worse. If anyone really needs proof I can show one of my previous carves on pink and then the last one that I did. The only thing that has changed is the material. I'm the sasme person and I'm using the same gouge...therefore let's attribute it to Occum's Razor.....the simplest answer is correct...the pink stuff has changed. then again even the company admits this..so it's not actually in question. I'm just going to have to get used to OZ now. I'm nowhere near as good with it yet as I was on the pink...but it's always a learning curve with new material.
Reply to: #802625 by BfloAnonChick
Sep 4, 2013 11:58am
Thread
I've actually purchased pink within the last year, dated 2012, that was fine. Took detail

Feel free to send some my waqy. I miss it. :( No PZ no Pink. Life is over.