A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: Thin lines?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #802066 by artTrekker
Sep 2, 2013 9:52pm
Thread
I am happy with Speedy Carve's longevity, though. I used it for my first Tahoe series, and it has held up fairly well for 9 years of pretty good use.

THAT was Speedy Carve?!! I'll say it held up, and with amazing detail and thin lines. Stunning carves.
Heat transfer
Sep 2, 2013 11:00pm
Thread
I tried to heat transfer, but I know I did it all wrong. I melted the pink stuff, OOPS. Oh well maybe another time. So I cut out my design , outlined it on the pink stuff, hand drew the details and carved my stamps. Just finished.

GH
Re: Heat transfer
Reply to: #802206 by Granny Hummingbird
Sep 3, 2013 12:52am
Thread
Here is a heat transfer video on youtube that I did a while back. Maybe something in it can be of help.
Re: Gouge Modification Photos
Reply to: #802193 by Kirbert
Sep 3, 2013 1:00am
Thread
When others view the gallery, would they see the photos in alphabetical order or in whatever their own default order is?

dunno. Ryan? Wassa?
Reply to: #802209 by nosox
Sep 3, 2013 2:23am
Thread
Heat transfer video on youtube

Thank you !!!!!! I also watched the other videos and they were all very helpful. I enjoyed the carving video with the gouge nibs and there was one using the knife. The carvers sure made it look easy. I'm sure with practice it will become easier. I recommend the new carvers watch this before they start.

GH
Reply to: #802206 by Granny Hummingbird
Sep 3, 2013 4:32am
Thread
I do nothing but the heat transfer. Using a #2 pencil works much better than ink or printer ink. Trace over your image with a pencil. Then with a lowest iron setting, using the tip of the iron, iron the transfer on to the pink stuff. You don't have to iron to much. If you hold the paper to the pink stuff you can lift the corner and check if you have ironed it enough. If not just use the tip again in the areas that need it.

Good luck and happy carving.
Re: Gouge Modification Photos
Reply to: #802178 by FORAYCH
Sep 3, 2013 5:10am
Thread
i like you!!!

~tigs (*walking quietly around the Wolf*)

by the way, if you strap BACON to any part of your body, that will help keep her attention.
Reply to: #802050 by CTEagleEye
Sep 3, 2013 5:51am
Thread
I recently watched a knife carver and tried the technique of cutting along the edge of a line and then making an angled cut next to it to remove the material but I really can't see the first line I cut...it just seems to seal back up....which made it impossible for me to cut an angled line next to it.

Hmmm...I think i resemble that remark.

If you carefully bend the stamp after the first cut, you can see the first line. This was easily done on the old pink, but the new stuff may break if you overdo it.

Also, wear 3X reading glasses even if they make you look like a dork :)
Sep 3, 2013 6:50am
Thread
I was given small scraps of white Speedy Carve recently but haven't had time to try it....how does that compare to the pink or the OZ?

Ah, the white "stuff"...we bought that once because it was cheaper. In this case, we got what we paid for. Super crumbly and difficult to make intricate cuts on. One thing that we found did help when finer carving had to happen was putting it in the freezer for a few minutes to firm it up. It helped stop the crumble, somewhat.

L&S
Sep 3, 2013 9:07am
Thread
tried the technique of cutting along the edge of a line and then making an angled cut next to it to remove the material but I really can't see the first line I cut...it just seems to seal back up..

The secret there is to be carving orange PZ Kut. The translucent orange color lights up like a light bulb when it's sliced. The good pink stuff does, too, to a much smaller but still workable extent.

..which made it impossible for me to cut an angled line next to it.

Well, as a knife carver of considerable experience, allow me to confess that I don't do that. I make the slice along the edge of the image, and then I come back with a needle or gouge to remove the rubber. The gouge will readily follow the existing slice and dig pieces out with ease. The needle is used only to remove pieces that are too narrow for a gouge to fit in there.
Sep 3, 2013 9:32am
Thread
Awesome!!! Thanks for the video. It was amazing and helps a lot.
Reply to: #802291 by Kirbert
Sep 3, 2013 11:11am
Thread
The secret there is to be carving orange PZ Kut.

Kirbert, why even bring it up? We may be only dreaming.

"Jam yesterday and jam tomorrow, but never jam today."
Reply to: #802331 by artTrekker
Sep 3, 2013 11:58am
Thread
Without dreaming, I'd be tempted to give up this pastime for good. Carving OZ is certainly not my idea of fun. If something better doesn't come along soon, I'm probably going to have to take up knitting or bridge.
Reply to: #802331 by artTrekker
Sep 3, 2013 12:55pm
Thread
"Jam yesterday and jam tomorrow, but never jam today."

Oh, sure! Guilt the puffin - go ahead! ;-)

Webfoot (who is working on a new set of orange samples...)
Reply to: #802368 by Webfoot
Sep 3, 2013 12:59pm
Thread
Webfoot (who is working on a new set of orange samples...)

Oh how I missed the orange
Sep 3, 2013 1:19pm
Thread
Ooh, I printed 3 patterns a work today. Going to try the heat method. I've always just used pencil & rubbing so far. This will be easier if it works. Won't have to trace all those fine lines.
Reply to: #802217 by Granny Hummingbird
Sep 3, 2013 1:23pm
Thread
I watched the carving videos too. I agree the hardest part for me is deciding what to cut out and what to leave. Just messed up my tin man-left his body armor but cut out his hat. At least it's for an LTC so I can make it work.
Sep 3, 2013 1:26pm
Thread
No!! I didn't mean to guilt the puffin!! Really I didn't! I'm just trying not to get my hopes up or live in the past. I know you are working diligently and spending money trying to make us all happy. I just think someone new has to learn to work with what there is (as do the rest of us) without being confused about some mythical wonder-material that isn't available.

aT, with greatest apologies to the puffin
and who was so delighted by the translucent character of the orange--I would carve in on a light table and that "light up like a candle" quality was greatly enhanced
Reply to: #802377 by artTrekker
Sep 3, 2013 3:15pm
Thread
No!! I didn't mean to guilt the puffin!! Really I didn't!

I was teasing! Besides, the puffin is feeling impatient with the process, right along with everyone else! LOL!

All the best!!

Webfoot
Sep 3, 2013 7:51pm
Thread
You know my address!
Sep 3, 2013 8:08pm
Thread
who is working on a new set of orange samples...

If you need testers, count me in. :)

dp
Wow! Good pink stuff.
Sep 3, 2013 8:17pm
Thread
Just opened a new package of pink stuff, did a heat transfer on it & started carving. Perfect. Firm & no crumbles. I think it's the best pink stuff I've ever carved on. Got it at Hobby Lobby about a week ago.
Re: Wow! Good pink stuff.
Reply to: #802511 by Topcollector
Sep 3, 2013 8:24pm
Thread
The label!!
What did it say?! What did it say?!?!?!
Sep 3, 2013 8:24pm
Thread
is there a copyright date on it?
Reply to: #802513 by crosscresent
Sep 3, 2013 9:37pm
Thread
Yes! We need to know what that label says!
Sep 3, 2013 9:46pm
Thread
The GREAT Pink Stuff that was sent to me directly from Speedball was labeled 2012. So I really don't think the label is what defines the quality.
Reply to: #802531 by The Lost Boys
Sep 3, 2013 11:34pm
Thread
I'll be making it clear that the label needs to change sometime after the bugs are worked out and the product is what it needs to be. Anyone who has been burned by the lousy batch is going to be hesitant to ever buy any more Speedy-Carve with the 2012 copyright date -- no matter what assurances are made. There will need to be a new label that makes it clear you're not buying the old stock, you're buying the new stuff.
Reply to: #802541 by Kirbert
Sep 4, 2013 1:09am
Thread
I'm hesitant period. That stuff just sucks no matter what year is on it. It holds no fine detail at all. It's just too unreliable for my liking. Don't waste your money and just buy from Webfoot.
Reply to: #802543 by Raven
Sep 4, 2013 1:15am
Thread
Don't waste your money and just buy from Webfoot.

Can't hit "agree" enough. ;) Webby not only rocks, but is one of us! Viva la Webfeut!!! ;)
Reply to: #802531 by The Lost Boys
Sep 4, 2013 4:07am
Thread
The GREAT Pink Stuff that was sent to me directly from Speedball was labeled 2012.

. I find it very odd that you got decent medium with and replacement which I got which is new batch ( can tell by color) is still crumbly. Maybe not perhaps as other crumbly version but still not the original. Any chance you've never had the good pink and mislead to believe that your new replacement being better than old crumbly is ok? Just a thought.
And yes, you can't go by the label. Not the born on date. Only when label itself was designed. Kirbert has it spot on by saying : when batch is finally back to par, newly designed label. I'm thinking a big smiley face on it : )