A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: Thin lines?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #801968 by DM Scuba Brat
Sep 2, 2013 9:09am
Thread
On OZ cut, you can carve really really shallow, and the details will still show up. Just for practice, try transferring something using acetone, or heat from a print out. It took me several tries on OZ before I liked it, but once I learned to carve really shallow I loved it. Also Versafine ink gives nice detail for me. I'm using up some crumbly pink stuff today, and I can't get nearly the detail of OZ. If you try to carve too deep on OZ, your lines will end up very straight, and lose fluidity, or curves.
Sep 2, 2013 9:09am
Thread
If you're still tracing to transfer, you'll never get to the real detailed carving. You need a way to get the ink of the printed image directly on the rubber. You'll get several suggestions, from printing on parchment paper, to acetone or ironing.

K
Reply to: #801970 by Kelsung
Sep 2, 2013 9:19am
Thread
If you're still tracing to transfer, you'll never get to the real detailed carving

exactly true. I always say your carve can only be as good as your transfer. Hang on a second, think I bookmarked an iron /acetone friendly printer friendly list

http://www.atlasquest.com/about/wiki/browse.html?gCatId=33#q270
Reply to: #801946 by DM Scuba Brat
Sep 2, 2013 9:21am
Thread
I found using a lighted magnifying glass has helped me with getting thinner lines..
Reply to: #801976 by turkey feathers
Sep 2, 2013 9:29am
Thread
I think it depends on the style of carves. Mine are pretty detailed, and they are mostly pencil transferred images of my own drawings...... BUT, I just use the pencil marks as a guide. But if I need to make exact lines, then yes, I draw in ink, upload and print and transfer. On the occasion that I do use a computer image, then yes, I use acetone.

Pencil transfer, no it is not an exact replicate of me, but pretty detailed.

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=120362
Sep 2, 2013 9:38am
Thread
If you're still tracing to transfer, you'll never get to the real detailed carving.

I agree with you. But I think there are people who are artistic and are adept at improvising, whereas I am a needs-to-cut-along-the-dotted-lines kind of person. More skill than artistry. Jealous of those types.
Sep 2, 2013 9:41am
Thread
Here is a thread about the transfer method (Erasable Bond paper) I use. Before that though, I did pencil transfers with a very fine lead mechanical pencil and also got great results. Go get a magnifier! I got mine at Michaels with a coupon and it was very reasonable. Our first sig stamp was store bought too and we still use it sometimes. Yours looks hand carved!
Sep 2, 2013 11:15am
Thread
If you're still tracing to transfer, you'll never get to the real detailed carving.

Crap. That must be my problem!! I can't seem to give up the improvising!
Reply to: #802003 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 11:51am
Thread
This thread relates to something I need advice on. I recently started carving using pink stuff and Speedball gouges. My challenge seems to be getting the lines deep enough the first time so that I don't have to go back over them because when I go back over them they get raggedy. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm doing letters or details, a second pass turns it into a mess. I actually prefer using the #2 for carving because it seems to respond more smoothly for me but I'm concerned I'll gouge too deeply/widely which is why I feel I need to make a second pass.

For the second pass I've tried both the #2 and the #1 but have the same icky results. I really think I can't follow the same line twice! I hope this makes sense and FWIW I am not someone who normally does much drawing though I do other visual arts such as paper folding so feel that my dexterity is adequate but visual/spatial skills may not be as well developed. I do wear reading glasses. I have not tried additional magnification. Do I just need more practice?

Thanks for listening
CTEE
Reply to: #802017 by CTEagleEye
Sep 2, 2013 12:11pm
Thread
Here are some great carving tips from nosox that I had bookmarked. The first one is so true - make your first cut your best cut!
Reply to: #802017 by CTEagleEye
Sep 2, 2013 12:12pm
Thread
I think this is a material defect of the pink stuff. I only noticed this problem after the formula was changed and shortly thereafter other folks on the boards starting complaining about it. Up until that time, my only experience had been with pink, so it really was obvious. The OZ takes more physical effort, but will hold your lines better, at least in my experience.
Reply to: #802025 by Wry Me
Sep 2, 2013 12:35pm
Thread
The OZ takes more physical effort, but will hold your lines better, at least in my experience.

I agree with this - the pink, even the good pink, is too soft to go back over a thin edge. OZ is just enough firmer that I can shave really tiny edges from an already carved area. Of course, this assumes your gouges are nice and sharp!!
Reply to: #802027 by Wise Wanderer
Sep 2, 2013 12:54pm
Thread
Of course, this assumes your gouges are nice and sharp!!

I agree with you but mine haven't gotten enough use yet to be dulled...LOL

CTEE
Reply to: #802030 by CTEagleEye
Sep 2, 2013 2:20pm
Thread
Oz is definitely easier to go back and change lines. I do it constantly. And I agree with you, on the pink, it is hard. Sometimes I have to use a craft knife or the edge of my biggest gouge, to shave already carved lines. I use OZ for the carves I really care about these details on. It is especially wonderful for lettering.
Reply to: #802047 by FloridaFour
Sep 2, 2013 2:55pm
Thread
Sometimes I have to use a craft knife or the edge of my biggest gouge, to shave already carved lines.

So is an exacto knife the same as a craft knife? I recently watched a knife carver and tried the technique of cutting along the edge of a line and then making an angled cut next to it to remove the material but I really can't see the first line I cut...it just seems to seal back up....which made it impossible for me to cut an angled line next to it. At least with a gouge I can see the line I've made I just sometimes want it to be deeper than my first pass made it.

I have used an exacto to smooth out the gouge lines from the large area around an image and that's mostly a shaving motion almost parallel to the surface of the stamp.

Maybe I really should try the OZ. I was given small scraps of white Speedy Carve recently but haven't had time to try it....how does that compare to the pink or the OZ?

Peace
CTEE
Re: Gouge Modification Photos
Reply to: #801908 by Kirbert
Sep 2, 2013 3:30pm
Thread
I really wish it were possible to rearrange the photos into a deliberate presentation order rather than just chronologically or alphabetically.

Weellll, if you name your photos "A. reversed" (or whatever you want first), then "B. mini" (or whatever you want second), etc., then arrange alphabetically, you should be able to arrive at your deliberate presentation.
Reply to: #802050 by CTEagleEye
Sep 2, 2013 3:53pm
Thread
white Speedy Carve recently but haven't had time to try it....how does that compare to the pink or the OZ?

I wouldn't call white Speedy Carve quite craptastic, but it is pretty funky (kinda crumbly), and you will have more trouble getting the fine lines you are after with it than either good pink or OZ. I am happy with Speedy Carve's longevity, though. I used it for my first Tahoe series, and it has held up fairly well for 9 years of pretty good use. I just had to glue foam to the back of one of the stamps that was cracking in half, but with the foam on the back the stamped impression doesn't even show the crack.

I really can't see the first line I cut...it just seems to seal back up...

I don't have any experience using the yellow StazOn ink, but many experienced carvers will advise you to apply it to your stamp material after you transfer your image because it makes it much easier to see where you have carved (removed material will be pink or white, without yellow coating; unremoved material will have a yellow tinge). I don't know it if helps with a single knife line. A magnifier will help with everything.
Reply to: #802066 by artTrekker
Sep 2, 2013 4:02pm
Thread
I wouldn't call white Speedy Carve quite craptastic, but it is pretty funky (kinda crumbly), and you will have more trouble getting the fine lines you are after with it than either good pink or OZ.

Good to know. Might make good practice pieces though.

..yellow StazOn ink, but many experienced carvers will advise you to apply it to your stamp material after you transfer your image because it makes it much easier to see where you have carved (removed material will be pink or white, without yellow coating; unremoved material will have a yellow tinge).

I have heard of doing that for transfers from parchment paper to keep them from smearing but never thought of it for pencil transfers. It does make sense that the contrasting colors would be a visual advantage. Thanks for the suggestion.
A magnifier will help with everything.

Even with my athlete's foot and ring around the collar? ;) Actually...not sure I want to look at those with a magnifier!

Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #801844 by tiggermama
Sep 2, 2013 4:46pm
Thread
Did you not see that Forayach said that he would thumb wrestle with me & then he would give me a NICE carving lesson! neener, neener, neener! Some folks are just nice.

I can't say I'll run when you show up cause I'm still not fast enough. You'd overtake me, I'm afraid. I'll hide it & leave clues. yeah, that's it! NO! I'm hanging on for that lesson!
Reply to: #802070 by CTEagleEye
Sep 2, 2013 4:47pm
Thread
Even with my athlete's foot and ring around the collar? ;) Actually...not sure I want to look at those with a magnifier!

umm, yeah, ew. Everything you need to see.
Reply to: #801847 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 4:48pm
Thread
I was hoping for the lesson whether I won or lost. Hoping the winner would feel sorry for the loser, if that is the way the thumb lands! ; )
Reply to: #801886 by WiseOldOwl
Sep 2, 2013 4:51pm
Thread
I'm almost scared to try the K, even though it sounds like just what I need.

Oh be brave & give it a whirl! Then just send it off to Foraych if you can't get it to work! (or me!)
Reply to: #802090 by bluebirdlover
Sep 2, 2013 4:53pm
Thread
I was hoping for the lesson whether I won or lost. Hoping the winner would feel sorry for the loser, if that is the way the thumb lands!

Here's how it works:
  • If I win, I get the reverse
  • If I lose, you hand over YOUR reverse, and I'll give you a lesson
(of course, I can't say that your reverse is ever making it back into your hands...)
Reply to: #802092 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 5:00pm
Thread
ere's how it works:

If I win, I get the reverse
If I lose, you hand over YOUR reverse, and I'll give you a lesson

(of course, I can't say that your reverse is ever making it back into your hands...)

Wow! You are wicked. Where did you write about me pocketing YOUR reverse? Thought you had one did you???????
Reply to: #802094 by bluebirdlover
Sep 2, 2013 5:12pm
Thread
Where did you write about me pocketing YOUR reverse?

Yes, I did seem to have left that part out, didn't I?
I guess that would be a possibility IF I brought it with me. Thankfully, it will be safely elsewhere...
Reply to: #802088 by bluebirdlover
Sep 2, 2013 6:32pm
Thread
well, i'll give you a lesson too, and no thumb wars! that sounds WAY too violent. how's about just a nice cuppa tea, and a little walk, a carving lesson, and we call it good?

how's that Boy o' yours?

~tigs
Reply to: #802135 by tiggermama
Sep 2, 2013 6:54pm
Thread
and no thumb wars! that sounds WAY too violent.

Well, I don't think it's supposed to be but...

Wolf *who likes to apply Calvin Ball "rules" to all games*
Reply to: #802147 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 8:29pm
Thread
Those "Calvin Ball" rules really are great - maybe you can teach me those while I give a carving exhibition to bluebirdlover (and tigs sneaks your reverses from your stash). :)
Reply to: #802178 by FORAYCH
Sep 2, 2013 8:32pm
Thread
(and tigs sneaks your reverses from your stash).

OMG!! Don't you DARN recruit Tigs!! As Igor's Assistant, I demand that you take my side!
Reply to: #802179 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 8:44pm
Thread
OMG!! Don't you DARN recruit Tigs!! As Igor's Assistant, I demand that you take my side!

Silly, Igor's Assistant! Tigs recruited ME - she is the one in charge, amazing you did not notice that for yourself!

FORAYCH - Stirring, stirring, poking, and stirring some more ;)