Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

by Lovebirds-NCProfileContactLogbookNote
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Yes, lots of practice but what transfer method do you use? I find that a good transfer encourages me to achieve those fine lines. I use Speedball and for me, it's all in controlling the depth. Also, do you use a magnifier? I like your sig stamp:-)
by artboyProfileContactLogbookNote
If you don't want that Staedtler 1V, I got first dibs on it. No, really the Staedtler is your best friend. I only use gouges and just can't get comfortable with a knife. Maybe I need a tutor. Yeah, practice, practice, practice. AB
by dancingpecanProfileContactLogbookNote
If you don't have some sort of magnifier, get one. It really makes a difference.
by DM Scuba BratProfileContactLogbookNote
... I trace my images with a soft leaded pencil or charcoal pencil, then rub them onto the carving surface. Thank you. My sig stamp is store bought (oh, the horrors!) but I got it well before I even considered carving. I like it a lot. :) ... MINE...
by FloridaFourProfileContactLogbookNote
On OZ cut, you can carve really really shallow, and the details will still show up. Just for practice, try transferring something using acetone, or heat from a print out. It took me several tries on OZ before I liked it, but once I learned to carve r...
by KelsungProfileContactLogbookNote
If you're still tracing to transfer, you'll never get to the real detailed carving. You need a way to get the ink of the printed image directly on the rubber. You'll get several suggestions, from printing on parchment paper, to acetone or ironing. K
by turkey feathersProfileContactLogbookNote
... exactly true. I always say your carve can only be as good as your transfer. Hang on a second, think I bookmarked an iron /acetone friendly printer friendly list http://www.atlasquest.com/about/wiki/browse.html?gCatId=33#q270
by twofreetimersProfileContactLogbookNote
I found using a lighted magnifying glass has helped me with getting thinner lines..
I think it depends on the style of carves. Mine are pretty detailed, and they are mostly pencil transferred images of my own drawings...... BUT, I just use the pencil marks as a guide. But if I need to make exact lines, then yes, I draw in ink, uploa...
by Wry MeProfileContactLogbookNote
... I agree with you. But I think there are people who are artistic and are adept at improvising, whereas I am a needs-to-cut-along-the-dotted-lines kind of person. More skill than artistry. Jealous of those types.
Here is a thread about the transfer method (Erasable Bond paper) I use. Before that though, I did pencil transfers with a very fine lead mechanical pencil and also got great results. Go get a magnifier! I got mine at Michaels with a coupon and it was v...
by The Wolf FamilyProfileContactLogbookNote
... Crap. That must be my problem!! I can't seem to give up the improvising!
by CTEagleEyeProfileContactLogbookNote
This thread relates to something I need advice on. I recently started carving using pink stuff and Speedball gouges. My challenge seems to be getting the lines deep enough the first time so that I don't have to go back over them because when I go bac...
Here are some great carving tips from nosox that I had bookmarked. The first one is so true - make your first cut your best cut!
by Wry MeProfileContactLogbookNote
I think this is a material defect of the pink stuff. I only noticed this problem after the formula was changed and shortly thereafter other folks on the boards starting complaining about it. Up until that time, my only experience had been with pink,...
by Wise WandererProfileContactLogbookNote
... I agree with this - the pink, even the good pink, is too soft to go back over a thin edge. OZ is just enough firmer that I can shave really tiny edges from an already carved area. Of course, this assumes your gouges are nice and sharp!!
... I agree with you but mine haven't gotten enough use yet to be dulled...LOL CTEE
Oz is definitely easier to go back and change lines. I do it constantly. And I agree with you, on the pink, it is hard. Sometimes I have to use a craft knife or the edge of my biggest gouge, to shave already carved lines. I use OZ for the carves I...
... So is an exacto knife the same as a craft knife? I recently watched a knife carver and tried the technique of cutting along the edge of a line and then making an angled cut next to it to remove the material but I really can't see the first line I...
by artTrekkerProfileContactLogbookNote
... Weellll, if you name your photos "A. reversed" (or whatever you want first), then "B. mini" (or whatever you want second), etc., then arrange alphabetically, you should be able to arrive at your deliberate presentation.
... I wouldn't call white Speedy Carve quite craptastic, but it is pretty funky (kinda crumbly), and you will have more trouble getting the fine lines you are after with it than either good pink or OZ. I am happy with Speedy Carve's longevity, though....
... Good to know. Might make good practice pieces though. ... I have heard of doing that for transfers from parchment paper to keep them from smearing but never thought of it for pencil transfers. It does make sense that the contrasting colors would...
by bluebirdloverProfileContactLogbookNote
Did you not see that Forayach said that he would thumb wrestle with me & then he would give me a NICE carving lesson! neener, neener, neener! Some folks are just nice. I can't say I'll run when you show up cause I'm still not fast enough. You'd overt...
... umm, yeah, ew. Everything you need to see.
I was hoping for the lesson whether I won or lost. Hoping the winner would feel sorry for the loser, if that is the way the thumb lands! ; )
... Oh be brave & give it a whirl! Then just send it off to Foraych if you can't get it to work! (or me!)
... Here's how it works: If I win, I get the reverse If I lose, you hand over YOUR reverse, and I'll give you a lesson(of course, I can't say that your reverse is ever making it back into your hands...)
... Wow! You are wicked. Where did you write about me pocketing YOUR reverse? Thought you had one did you???????
... Yes, I did seem to have left that part out, didn't I? I guess that would be a possibility IF I brought it with me. Thankfully, it will be safely elsewhere...
by tiggermamaProfileContactLogbookNote
well, i'll give you a lesson too, and no thumb wars! that sounds WAY too violent. how's about just a nice cuppa tea, and a little walk, a carving lesson, and we call it good? how's that Boy o' yours? ~tigs