Thread
I hope you have 180 days to wait...
Gouge Modification Photos
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Sep 1, 2013 12:16am
Thread
I have posted a couple of photos of the K gouge:

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?gAlbumId=3810

I intend to add more photos to this gallery. I'll post notes to this board when I do.
Stampin Up Carving kit
Sep 1, 2013 12:25am
Thread
Since I'm not typically one to read on these message boards, forgive me if this subject has already been discussed BUT ...I just want to comment about Stampin Ups carving set that I tried out a couple days ago. First, no I don't sell Stampin Up. ;). So what I'm going to say is NOT based on trying to boost any sales. Secondly, though the starter kit only comes with 2 blades--I LOVE THE HANDLES! They're comfortable to grip, strong enough to last and I LOVE the fact that there's no blade exchanging--Ughhh. Thirdly, though the small blade is not as small as I typically use (a Kirbert modified tiny v), it was a great size for getting some details--and very sharp! Fourthly, since I've been informed that Staedtler sets are no longer for sale (correct me gently if I'm wrong ;), the Stampin Up set is MUCH BETTER THAN those annoying handle screw in blade set alternative sets my friends have been forced to try to carve with, at the hobby stores. I hate them! Lastly, with permission from my newbie carving friend, sheet me carve into the GRAY STUFF included in the kit! I LOVE IT! It was firm enough, did NOT CRUMBLE and was flexible but not breaking or splitting when bent! Unlike the NASTY PINK stuff, in the shelves now in my area.

All this being said--I AM BUYING MY OWN SET of carvers and MORE GRAY STUFF at my next card club! :-D
Re: Stampin Up Carving kit
Reply to: #801722 by Housepitality Hostess
Sep 1, 2013 5:06am
Thread
Good review, thanks. I'm definitely interested in the grey stuff, if they would make larger blocks for discount prices. Just tried carving a detailed stamp on pink, and it was a disaster. We can still get Staedtlers on Stampeaz. I just bought a modified and regular. And Kirbert's been showing the K gouge for a few weeks. But I'm not sure how many are left of the regular Staedtlers. Maybe none, at this point.

For Speedball users, I recommend the really inexpensive pen holder that Stampeaz sells. It's like $1.50 or something. You can easily stick the tips in, and it is easier to hold than the big bulb-shaped thing.
Sep 1, 2013 10:57am
Thread
...and I LOVE the fact that there's no blade exchanging--Ughhh.

There's no reason to do that. First off, the Speedball handle is too bulky to use anyway. Just buy a handful of Speedball pen holders (less than $2 each) and press one nib into each one. Just pick up the one you need. The pen holders are a much better shape for stamp carving anyway. The nib that stays in my Speedball gouge holder is the #5, the great big U that I need to really shove through the rubber.

If you're cheap, you can just buy some 1/4" wooden dowel from Home Depot, cut them into 6" lengths, and tie a nib to the end of each one with glue and wire.
Re: Gouge Modification Photos
Reply to: #801721 by Kirbert
Sep 1, 2013 11:17am
Thread
I just recently bought a right handed K gouge. Took a couple of minutes to get used to, but I think I've found a new friend! It is awesome!! I acquired a reverse recently and still haven't gotten the hang of that thing. Not sure what the heck Mrs. Wolf is doing with it to have such disgusting results!!
Reply to: #801769 by Raven
Sep 1, 2013 12:06pm
Thread
You can always send that reverse to me. :)
Reply to: #801772 by The Wolf Family
Sep 1, 2013 1:05pm
Thread
Or me :)
Sep 1, 2013 1:05pm
Thread
You can always send that reverse to me. :)

I'm sure I will be, especially since it's for the greater good anyway!
Reply to: #801779 by Raven
Sep 1, 2013 1:06pm
Thread
Darn, replied too late :p
Reply to: #801781 by FORAYCH
Sep 1, 2013 2:01pm
Thread
I'm gonna demand a lesson for using mine someday. After a good thumb wrestling tournament.....
Reply to: #801791 by bluebirdlover
Sep 1, 2013 2:09pm
Thread
You're on :)
Sep 1, 2013 3:40pm
Thread
And if there are any deals for money you spend.....I LOVE my SU markers!!! A little pricey but so worth it (IMHO).....of course, I love SU ink period....and no, I don't sell it either! :-)
Sep 1, 2013 4:13pm
Thread
You can always send that reverse to me.

Or me. I'm really liking my new reverse. Time to try the K now.
Sep 1, 2013 6:34pm
Thread
you don't get a lesson in how to use your reversed. you just hand it over, nice and easy. . .

after all, i know where you live.

~tigs (slowly. . . nicely. . .)
Sep 1, 2013 6:41pm
Thread
I'm gonna demand a lesson for using mine someday. After a good thumb wrestling tournament.....

Think you are gonna win, do ya?
Muahahahahahaha!!
Reply to: #801781 by FORAYCH
Sep 1, 2013 6:42pm
Thread
Darn, replied too late :p

Ya snooze, ya loose!!
Reply to: #801769 by Raven
Sep 1, 2013 7:19pm
Thread
I acquired a reverse recently and still haven't gotten the hang of that thing.

Me too!

I bought the mini and a reverse #1. The mini was easy to use and will become my go-to gouge for fine detail.

I'm having trouble with the reverse #1. I guess I got too used to knowing how much pressure to apply and when/where to stop with normal gouges that the reversed version is boggling my mind. I feel like I keep stabbing the rubber slab instead of carving with it.
Reply to: #801858 by Khameleon
Sep 1, 2013 7:23pm
Thread
I feel like I keep stabbing the rubber slab instead of carving with it.

psst, you using the sharp end?
Reply to: #801861 by turkey feathers
Sep 1, 2013 7:28pm
Thread
psst, you using the sharp end?

d'oh! I knew I must be doing something wrong. Thanks for clearing that up :P
Reply to: #801848 by The Wolf Family
Sep 1, 2013 7:46pm
Thread
Ya snooze, ya loose!!

Umm...interesting typo there!?!?!

Not only am I late, I am excessively available too... ;)

You fight dirty :p
Sep 1, 2013 8:52pm
Thread
The mini was easy to use

I'm having trouble with the reverse #1.

Man, I can't use either one! Some sort of moron effect seems to take over when either one is in my hand. I'm almost scared to try the K, even though it sounds like just what I need.
Re: RIP Staedtler 1V
Reply to: #794611 by FORAYCH
Sep 1, 2013 9:33pm
Thread
As best as possible click a button that fits your total range (including taxes and shipping if need be) for purchase specifically of a carving tool:

A single carving tool? I clicked $0-15. But we're talking about what a beginner would want, right? We're concerned about what the new carvers will be buying, right? That could be higher but should contain a variety of gouges. After all, we want new carvers.
Reply to: #801896 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 1, 2013 10:34pm
Thread
After all, we want new carvers.

Most definitely. It looks like the range is anywhere from $0-25 for most voters. A $25 tool probably would not be purchased by a newbie (unless they have experienced boxing friends guiding them). Likely newbies will do what many of us probably did - get a Speedball set with four nibs, attack some Speedy Carve and see what people think. After some experience under their belt, the more likely a "good" tool would be sought.
Reply to: #801899 by FORAYCH
Sep 1, 2013 11:05pm
Thread
Likely newbies will do

You are so right. That is exactly what I did. I'm a newbie and have just started carving. I just posted my first handcarved sig. stamp. So what do you think of it???
Reply to: #801903 by Granny Hummingbird
Sep 1, 2013 11:52pm
Thread
I think you did a wonderful job! I am rather partial to hummingbirds - you did them proud :)
Reply to: #801721 by Kirbert
Sep 1, 2013 11:55pm
Thread
This gallery now contains one new pic of a K gouge as well as pics of reversed and miniaturized gouges and a 3U:

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?gAlbumId=3810

I really wish it were possible to rearrange the photos into a deliberate presentation order rather than just chronologically or alphabetically.
Sep 2, 2013 12:11am
Thread
Perhaps some of the experienced reversed gouge carvers can chime in here, but I think there's probably a fundamental difference in style that determines whether a reversed will work for you or not. When using a regular V gouge, there are two methods that you can use to control how deep the gouge cuts, and hence how big a cut it makes. The first and most obvious method is to just hold it carefully; when it's a bit too deep, lift it a bit, and when it's a bit too shallow, press it into the rubber more firmly. The other, less obvious method is to allow the gouge to ride on the surface of the rubber on the smooth bottom of the nib just behind the cutting edge, and adjust the depth of cut by changing the angle of the handle: The higher the handle, the deeper the cut. Either method works well with a regular V gouge because it's designed to be easy to control.

The reversed is a different animal, though. Simply guided through the rubber, it wants to dive! And it'll quickly go entirely too deep if the carver isn't careful. If you control the depth by holding the gouge at the level you want, you'll have to manhandle it to keep it from going too deep. Honestly, I do that -- but I'm 6'4" and 300 lb, no shortage of strength here. And, frankly, it's still not easy to do. The other method, though, letting the gouge ride on its smooth bottom and merely adjusting the handle angle to control depth, works much better and with much less brute force. You can run into some issues when the smooth bottom falls into the groove you just cut, but in general it seems to work well.

Alternatively, you can choose to use a reversed only when you're making very tiny cuts, which keeps the diving issue negligible.
Reply to: #801896 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 2, 2013 12:19am
Thread
We're concerned about what the new carvers will be buying, right?

Are we? That survey was in response to FORAYCH's question, but at one time I was trying to find out what experienced carvers would be willing to pay for a top-notch tool. The problem was that the Staedtler 1V -- a top-notch tool -- was going away, and it appears that anything nearly as good will probably be based on a woodcutting tool and hence will be considerably more expensive. Webfoot is balking because she believes that the cost of such a tool needs to be in line with what the Staedtler was -- but she can't find anything that fits the bill. I'm suggesting that experienced carvers would be willing to pay more for a truly excellent tool, and hence she should be looking at woodcutting tools.

But if we're talking beginners, that's another issue. I agree, cost is a major factor -- but the Speedball lino cutter set fills the bill nicely.
Reply to: #801909 by Kirbert
Sep 2, 2013 6:58am
Thread
That's probably a pretty darn good assessment! I was pretty sure it was in the carving style but I couldn't explain it. I know I angle my gouge every which way. And for long wide cuts I pick up a normal #1. The reverse is for detail work.

I've had people tell me that they think their reverse is just not sharp but I kind of doubt that. I think it is just in the carving style. But I plan on trying someone else's reverse next week and they will use mine so we shall see...