A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: Response from Speedball
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #319778 by knit wit
Dec 6, 2008 10:33am
Thread
if we had the email address we could All email and request Speedy Carve!
Re: SoftKut (sp?) ??
Reply to: #320041 by Suzy Lou
Dec 6, 2008 10:34am
Thread
Here's a picture:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz404/01/

I tried one gray stuff that I was told was Dick Blick's Soft-Kut. It was awful; the razor knife would tug and grab trying to cut it. But others have reported being reasonably happy with Soft-Kut, which would be unfathomable with the stuff I was using, so I guess it wasn't Soft-Kut after all.
Reply to: #320044 by Eeny Meany Miney Moe
Dec 6, 2008 10:36am
Thread
... she just couldn't afford to stock it until some larger interest in the product was seen.

Bob's Law: "There cannot be a demand until there is a supply." Just exactly how was she expecting to see interest in a product she didn't carry?
Reply to: #320047 by Tucson Trickster
Dec 6, 2008 10:37am
Thread
if we had the email address we could All email and request Speedy Carve!

Visit speedballart.com and use the "contact us" feature.
Reply to: #320051 by Kirbert
Dec 6, 2008 10:46am
Thread
Y'know, if I operated one of these craft stores I bet I could generate a substantial customer base for stamp carving products! Instead of hiding the various products in irrational locations (Michael's has what Speedball stuff it does carry on the opposite side of the store from the rubber stamps, and Hobby Lobby isn't much better), I'd set up a display promoting carving your own rubber stamps as a craft. Have all the products -- gouges, razor knives, carving rubber, starter kits, etc. -- right there on one display, along with one hand-carved stamp (chained down) and some examples of the images stamped. A title across the top declaring "Carve your own rubber stamps!" And, here's a revolutionary idea, have this entire display adjacent to the store-bought rubber stamps and ink pads!

When I think of how many "crafty" people stroll through craft stores just browsing and how many of them would probably leap at the suggestion to try carving, it astounds me that the craft stores aren't already doing this. The entire "scrapbooking" craze could benefit from hand-carving stamps.
Re: SoftKut (sp?) ??
Reply to: #320048 by Kirbert
Dec 6, 2008 10:48am
Thread
huh. well, I guess I'll find out on Tuesday.
Reply to: #320051 by Kirbert
Dec 6, 2008 11:04am
Thread
Bob's Law: "There cannot be a demand until there is a supply." Just exactly how was she expecting to see interest in a product she didn't carry?

Yeah... that's the point I tried to make with her in the beginning, telling her that I could also let folks outside of the city but in the area know that it was here and she'd definitely sale it... but coming from someone she hadn't seen often enough, it didn't make an impression. She's shooting for quick turn-around and got burned on a bad product, so she's thinking twice. I understand but I don't agree with her logic cause it's not my store.

As for how they display this stuff in larger stores... I've often thought displays in several appropriate places would make the difference (you see it during holiday food sells in the grocery stores... why else would they put canned sourkraut near the ham in the meat department at the end of December?). Now, selling a can of kraut isn't a big deal, but some of these crafting products would surely bring in a lot more money if they'd just figure out the displaying.

Another law... there cannot be a demand until they SEE the supply.

EMMM
Reply to: #320070 by Eeny Meany Miney Moe
Dec 6, 2008 11:08am
Thread
Another law... there cannot be a demand until they SEE the supply.

"Moe's Corollary to Bob's Law"
Reply to: #320070 by Eeny Meany Miney Moe
Dec 6, 2008 11:26am
Thread
Warning: Retail rant

I've worked in a few big box stores and I don't know if Michael's is like this but this is my experience: the best way to enact change is to hit the corporate offices. In the stores often the employees have very strict guidelines on displays. Any deviation from a set pattern is considered wrong and against the established guide lines (as a creative person I got in "trouble" for unique displays that sold product because they did not fit the specifications. Never mind the fact that we had increased sales on these items because they were unlike the displays in all the other stores.

Every wonder why almost all big box stores look so similar? Because they are following the dictates that come down from "on high." It is obvious that the employees are the best route of communication between the customers and the corporate offices but all to often the corporate offices do not like to be given suggestions. They speak, the employees listen and that is how they like it. There have been many times I have seen employees asked for specific changes for months and corporate ignored them. As soon as customers started complaining, things started changing. It's tough as a clerk to tell a customer that you agree with their complaint 100% but you are powerless.

Not all corporations are like this. There are so many wonderful people on the ground and in the offices that work together and do great things, but in my experiences and those of fellow retail warriors we simply are ignored by those with a higher pay scale. Complain to the higher ups because too often the clerks hands are tied. If you aren't heard then seek another set of ears, someone will listen if you pester them enough.

end rant
Re: Positive vs. Negative Carving?
Reply to: #320006 by Road Junkies
Dec 6, 2008 12:05pm
Thread
For someone with no artistic talent or training, can you please explain negative vs. positive carving?

I didn't see any answer to your question so here goes.

If you have an image transferred to the carving medium. Let say it is a circle. If you were to carve the line of the circle it would make a negative image. Everything other than the line would be dark and the line would be the color of the paper you are stamping on.

If you carve everything other than the line , removing all the material inside the circle and outside of the circle it would make a positive image of the circle on the paper when you stamped it.

Most new boxers start with negative images as they are less labor intensive and easier. Once you start carving positive images then you can do more complex images.

Don
Re: Carved stamps as Christmas gifts
Reply to: #319761 by Quiet Place
Dec 6, 2008 12:16pm
Thread
For her birthday, I carved a stamp and inkpad to my 14-YO step-daughter of her first name. She has done letterboxing, but I just told her she should use it to stamp love letters and notebooks. I was surprised at how much she liked it. There was the possibility she' d think it was lame.
Reply to: #319860 by Kirbert
Dec 6, 2008 12:49pm
Thread
fine art

I corresponded with people at Ranger Inks (makers of Adirondack® Dye Ink) - I think their training manager - and she was aware of letterboxing and I felt she kinda lumped our ink needs together with rubber stamp carving art. I'm sure 99% of their business goes to scrapbooking.
Reply to: #320016 by Road Junkies
Dec 6, 2008 12:51pm
Thread
I like your idea of making the letterbox stamp something to do with friendship. :)

I actually like all of your ideas, but I'm not sure yet how it would go over. Most of the people in my life think it's weird that I letterbox, so that is the reaction I expect from other people. No one at the school knows anything about it. But, if this goes over well, then maybe in spring we can plan something inside the school.... once I have outed myself as a letterboxer! :)

My thinking is that I'll put the letterbox inside the public library. I know the lady over the children's library and I think we could work something out to leave the box there until sometime in January.

I'll mail the parents the information along with the clues. I plan to use math questions to break the code and solve the clue. If the parents think it sounds fun, they can take the kids to the library to find it. The library is having a lot of holiday events for kids during that week.... movies, game nights, and story time. So, it might be enjoyable even if the families don't care one way or another about letterboxing.

You should see some of the doodles that came home with my daughter on Friday. We have 18 of the 25 forms returned and some of the doodles are just hilarious. I think the kids would have chosen different doodles if they knew they would eventually be made into a stamp! :)

It feels good to do something I love and have others get enjoyment out of it as well.

-Quiet Place
Reply to: #320105 by Rick in Boca
Dec 6, 2008 12:55pm
Thread
For her birthday, I carved a stamp and inkpad to my 14-YO step-daughter of her first name. She has done letterboxing, but I just told her she should use it to stamp love letters and notebooks. I was surprised at how much she liked it. There was the possibility she' d think it was lame.

I know exactly what you mean. That's how I feel right now, like this is going to go over really well, or everyone is going to think I'm weird. :)

It's encouraging that your daughter really liked the stamp. I know my girls feel very proud when I carve an image of their drawings, so I'm hoping this holds true for other kids their age, too.

-QP
Safety-Kut Was Re: SoftKut (sp?) ??
Reply to: #320061 by Suzy Lou
Dec 6, 2008 4:02pm
Thread
The Nasco product is Safety-Kut. I've used it before and the quality is pretty good. It's softer than PZ Cut, not as soft as Master Carve, about like Speedy Carve but grayish/tan in color.

It seems to take ink pretty well, doesn't seem to degrade as rapidly as Master Carve if you're coloring in images and is fairly affordable. It also comes in pre-cut 2" and 4" circles as I just discovered on the Nasco website. Might have to do something with that. :-)

Knit Wit
Safety-Kut Was Re: SoftKut (sp?) ??
Reply to: #320163 by knit wit
Dec 6, 2008 5:02pm
Thread
The Nasco product is Safety-Kut. I've used it before and the quality is pretty good. It's softer than PZ Cut, not as soft as Master Carve, about like Speedy Carve but grayish/tan in color.

It seems to take ink pretty well, doesn't seem to degrade as rapidly as Master Carve if you're coloring in images and is fairly affordable. It also comes in pre-cut 2" and 4" circles as I just discovered on the Nasco website. Might have to do something with that. :-)

Good review of Nasco's Safety-Kut. I've been using it for 10 years and agree with your findings.
Reply to: #320099 by Don and Gwen
Dec 6, 2008 5:35pm
Thread
Thanks! I sort of thought that might be the difference but wasn't at all sure.
Dec 6, 2008 5:50pm
Thread
I clicked agree, to crazy! ha ha. I don't have kids but do have a suggestion. Forget making logbooks, buy them some cheap ones instead. Even some with lines would work, they don't know the proprieties at this point anyway. Let them later on make themselves one, if they are truly interested enough. It is an experiment, to say the least, anyway. You only said you were making stamps, stick with that. So you fibbed a little, tell them it was for a very good reason, to know what kind of stamp to make them. Do you really think they will all remember you planned on making a logbook [friendship book, won't a little lined notebook work well for a friend to write something in, this in case they don't choose to box. Tell them to get out the glue and typing paper if they truly want it to be more specific for boxing. cut and paste typing paper over the lines, big enough for a stamp. Just my two cents worth. Backed yourself into a corner, did ya? heh heh.
OD
Reply to: #320192 by Okie Dog
Dec 6, 2008 6:10pm
Thread
I clicked agree, to crazy! ha ha. I don't have kids but do have a suggestion. Forget making logbooks, buy them some cheap ones instead. Even some with lines would work, they don't know the proprieties at this point anyway. Let them later on make themselves one, if they are truly interested enough. It is an experiment, to say the least, anyway. You only said you were making stamps, stick with that. So you fibbed a little, tell them it was for a very good reason, to know what kind of stamp to make them. Do you really think they will all remember you planned on making a logbook [friendship book, won't a little lined notebook work well for a friend to write something in, this in case they don't choose to box. Tell them to get out the glue and typing paper if they truly want it to be more specific for boxing. cut and paste typing paper over the lines, big enough for a stamp. Just my two cents worth. Backed yourself into a corner, did ya? heh heh.
OD

How did you know my desk is in a corner?????

The reason I want to make the friendship books is because I think it will mean more to the kids than the stamps alone. Hopefully, they will like both.

As to their memory, my daughter wouldn't let me even ~think~ of backing out on any spoken plans. In addition, notes went home to the parents explaining our plans to make the friendship books and our request to have the questionnaire returned by last Friday so we could get them complete by winter break. Even the teachers got one.

And I know, I may be crazy for taking this on. But I'm not an unhappy kind of crazy. I have really enjoyed the nine stamps I've already completed. I guess you could say this is just my kind of thing. Some people make 25 loaves of pumpkin bread to hand out... I carve stamps. :)

-Quiet Place
Reply to: #320195 by Quiet Place
Dec 6, 2008 6:30pm
Thread
Well, I applaud your ??? sticktoitiveness? Good luck. I am sure they will all really enjoy recieving those books too. Who knows, the parents may really get into it and keep the kids interested for longer than you expect. Its a sure thing, they will respect your eagerness to include them. Well, maybe most of them. Sad fact, not all parents participate in their childrens school projects. Hope you let us all know how it goes. Why don't you take a pic of some of those doodles or your finished stamps and post an album, would get a kick out of seeing them. Tell them of it, and then they will think they are famous???
Have fun,
OD
Reply to: #320099 by Don and Gwen
Dec 6, 2008 6:31pm
Thread
The easiest way to think about positive vs. negative space is: That which will NOT be inked when the stamp is inked is negative space. Aka, the part the stamp maker carves away is negative space.

I'd just like to say, that even my own carving with the simplest of images/earlier efforts just seem to "pop" more and IMHO are better stamps when more, rather than less negative space is used. When I was starting out I looked for very binary images to use, meaning really easy to see what I'd carve and what would be left. This is not hard really, it just means carving away more. Negative space can be very interesting once you can see its effects - then work from there for many possible combinations.

For the best, well-known example of negative space that most you have no doubt seen, take a look at the FedEx log

Can you spot what I mean re: the use of negative space? Most never notice it (except perhaps subconsciously) - making it a simple but effective logo.

pre
Reply to: #320195 by Quiet Place
Dec 6, 2008 6:32pm
Thread
my daughter wouldn't let me even ~think~ of backing out on any spoken plans.

This is reason enough to go ahead with the friendship book idea. My son is the same way. Seeing those little eyes looking up saying, "But Mom you promised us friendship books! That's what I told my friends!" is enough to make anyone think twice about backing out.

I have to be very careful what I promise around my house. ;-)

Knit Wit
Reply to: #320199 by Okie Dog
Dec 6, 2008 6:39pm
Thread
Why don't you take a pic of some of those doodles or your finished stamps and post an album, would get a kick out of seeing them. Tell them of it, and then they will think they are famous???

Great idea! :)

I think you might find some of them entertaining... like the two gladiator stick people fighting... one evidently fell to his death. I laughed out loud about that one. Oh, well. I asked them to draw their favorite doodle, and I guess some kids like to doodle tough guys getting killed.

I wonder how the class would do with a "Guess Whose Doodle" game. Hmmm.....

I'm in the wrong profession, I think.

-QP
Reply to: #320200 by preboxed
Dec 6, 2008 6:45pm
Thread
Thanks so much Pre, for clarifying this question. Yeah, right! I have been carving for quite some time now, and I still don't know the difference, even with your so enlightening explanation. It boggles my mind each time I hear an explanation. I think I am carving more postitive, but when asked I go blank. Even with the explanation of holding an old fashioned negative of a picture in my hand and looking at it, I get confused. Soooo, I just keep on with the way I am doing it, postitive/negative, it still gets done. ha. Lets just say, there is lots more white when printed with a black ink pad, than when I started. And this is just me! And I like to color!!!! Yes!!
OD
Reply to: #320200 by preboxed
Dec 7, 2008 5:22am
Thread
Wow, I never noticed the arrow in the FedEx logo before!!! I even pointed it out to my kids! I can't believe I never noticed it! I'm blown away.

KV
(again, wow!)
Reply to: #320284 by Sheep Thrills
Dec 7, 2008 7:47am
Thread
Wow, I never noticed the arrow in the FedEx logo before!!!

LOL KV--you are not the only one! I looked at the logo, then said "big deal" then read your message and said "what arrow?" Went back and there it was!!! Too cool! DOH! TErrio--logos are lost on me!
Reply to: #320284 by Sheep Thrills
Dec 7, 2008 8:26am
Thread
OM, I had to look at that logo about four times, turning my head this way and that, in the process, before I saw that arrow. Very nice!! Thanks for pointing this out Vogt Family.

And cool example, Pre. So much to still learn, always. Sometimes its even to know when to shut up, lol. Do you remember the song, Pre, I talk too Much? I'll worry you to death? Forgive me, my mouth! You were teaching us something and it went totally over my head. [hanging head in shame].

Now, will hear from those who don't like it when someone writes to two people in the same message. :~[ You see, I know better, but the lazy boxer in me, chooses to ignor. Sorry.

On an up note, the negative side of me wants to choose to smile, for "Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood". :~]
OD
Dec 7, 2008 10:50am
Thread
Friendship books?

And they each get a stamp...yes? Unique stamps?

Well, then...print up your books (Recipe card size or something) with questions like : Find someone who likes pizza.

They get to find the person in their class who likes something, and get the stamp image in the book.

All you need is 25 copies of the sentence "Someone who likes Pizza" or whatever.

Or, you can do a couple of full sized pages with grids to fill in. Either bind them yourself or get report covers. Or buy books/notebooks and paste in questions.

I'd seriously let them use the stamps for stamping in each others books as their "friendship books". :-) And not worry about letterboxing just yet...maybe if you want to do a unit on it or something.
Reply to: #320379 by Uncorny Acorns
Dec 7, 2008 12:39pm
Thread
Great ideas, Uncorny Acorns! :)

I love it... but I'm not the teacher, so I'm not sure if the kids will be given time to do this. They get free time/recess every day, though.

I think your idea encourages the kids to ask each other questions, instead of having all the information already there printed out for them. And it saves me time because then I don't have to type in all those questions and answers. PLUS, they get to share their stamps. What good is a stamp if they don't get to share it with their friends????

Awesome! Thanks for posting about this.

... I still think I'll plant a letterbox though, I just can't help myself. I've had my eye on the children's library for years now and this is a perfect excuse to plant there. Ha! :)

-Quiet Place
Reply to: #320213 by Okie Dog
Dec 7, 2008 1:31pm
Thread
Here is an example of a simple carving that I think is just so funny. Even a beginner can make me LMAO.
http://www.atlasquest.com/images/gallery/06/42/60342lg.jpg

I don't remember where I found this, so pardon me if it is yours. I'd like to hear from you.