A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: Response from Speedball
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #319844 by Kirbert
Dec 5, 2008 7:16pm
Thread
No, silly, you got a real response from a real human being! They had a valid response for not ceasing production; now you have to let Michael's know that letterboxers have the same rights as students and "fine artists".

That fine art bit sort of burned my shorts. I've seen some letterbox stamps that qualify!

Knit Wit
Reply to: #319852 by knit wit
Dec 5, 2008 7:29pm
Thread
That fine art bit sort of burned my shorts. I've seen some letterbox stamps that qualify!

I'm still trying to figure out what it meant. Are "fine artists" using that cr@p for something besides stamp carving?
Reply to: #319759 by Kirbert
Dec 5, 2008 7:50pm
Thread
Speedy-Cut tends to be used more in schools under direction of teachers

True, true. SoccerChik's high school art class used it recently for "block carving". She brought it home so she could use our carving tools instead of the school's... and complained the entire time about what lousy material it is!
Reply to: #319869 by SandiBox
Dec 5, 2008 7:58pm
Thread
SoccerChik's high school art class used it recently for "block carving". She brought it home so she could use our carving tools instead of the school's... and complained the entire time about what lousy material it is!

That was the point of the letter I wrote to Speedball: That every single purchase of Speedy-Cut represented a disgruntled customer. I suggested that, if Speedy-Cut simply didn't exist, all of these customers would be buying Speedy-Carve instead -- they're in the store to buy something. And if they leave with Speedy-Carve, they will actually be happy with their purchase, making them more likely to buy more Speedy-Carve, more likely to buy other Speedball products, more likely to take up carving as a hobby (and thereby buy much more Speedball products), and more likely to recommend the hobby and the product to others.
SoftKut (sp?) ??
Dec 5, 2008 8:18pm
Thread
I've never heard of this before, but we're using it in art class for block printing. Has anyone ever used it? How is it? Good? Bad? Ugly?
Re: SoftKut (sp?) ??
Reply to: #319877 by Suzy Lou
Dec 5, 2008 8:32pm
Thread
Hmm... Is it grayish? If so, it's what my class used =)

If not, I have never heard of it...

~BOB~
Reply to: #319882 by Bobguyman
Dec 5, 2008 8:34pm
Thread
It's this sort of grayish whitish color. I think Nasco makes it.
Reply to: #319883 by Suzy Lou
Dec 5, 2008 8:37pm
Thread
Hmmm.... grayish white? I don't know if that's the stuff I used or not...

~BOB~
Reply to: #319759 by Kirbert
Dec 5, 2008 8:42pm
Thread
How interesting to hear that Speedball is actually aware of letterboxing.
Reply to: #319885 by Bobguyman
Dec 5, 2008 8:44pm
Thread
It's thick enough to carve on both sides.
Re: Professional stamp carvers, I need some help!
Reply to: #319803 by Baqash
Dec 5, 2008 9:25pm
Thread
To answer your question, Baquash, I plan to make it into four separate sets of cards =) They'd all go together to each person that I trade them with... =)

~BOB~
Reply to: #319330 by Bobguyman
Dec 5, 2008 9:28pm
Thread
This is what I'm going to try to carve... I'm going to try to challenge myself largely because that is the only way to get better! My hopes for myself are now raised from what they used to be and I am expecting much more out of myself =)

So, hopefully within a few months, I'll have it ready to go. I won't get to the image immediately because I have other sets of cards to make and things to get done first =)

~BOB~
Reply to: #319904 by Bobguyman
Dec 5, 2008 9:45pm
Thread
OOoooOOooo! That's gorgeous!
Dec 6, 2008 4:26am
Thread
My goodness Bob I could not imagine taking that on....Good Luck friend!!!

GG
Dec 6, 2008 7:02am
Thread
This is what I'm going to try to carve...

Good luck on that one BOB! You can do it! Terrio
Reply to: #319860 by Kirbert
Dec 6, 2008 7:10am
Thread
Are "fine artists" using that cr@p for something besides stamp carving?

Doorstops maybe???? Or draft cheaters under the edge of the doors?

I'm sure it has stellar insulation qualities.

Knit Wit
Reply to: #319886 by Scarab
Dec 6, 2008 7:16am
Thread
Speedball is actually aware of letterboxing.

Actually, at some odd moment within the last six months I was in Michaels and actually found a Speedy-CARVE starter pack. (I think the manager messed up with the order.)

I'd never seen one packaged this way. It was a box, not a blister pack, and it had a label on the front that declared the product was good for many craft and hobby uses "including letterboxing". I've never seen this particular packaging again and I haven't seen Speedy-Carve in that Michaels since. Rats, since that Michaels is the closest to me and actually did carry it a couple of years ago when it opened.

Knit Wit
Reply to: #319970 by knit wit
Dec 6, 2008 7:34am
Thread
What if all of us--every time we went to Micheal's--asked for Speedy-carve? If enough people in enough states asked maybe they would cave to the pressure? It is a national chain and instead of complaining here...maybe we should complain where it counts. I am going today to ask at the one near me! Just a though...Terrio
Positive vs. Negative Carving?
Reply to: #313163 by GreatBigSabres
Dec 6, 2008 9:14am
Thread
I've carved under 20 stamps, 15 of which were negative and once I starting carving positive a whole new world opened up with endless possibilities.

Ths image you posted is stunning! For someone with no artistic talent or training, can you please explain negative vs. positive carving?

Thanks!!
Reply to: #319959 by Baqash
Dec 6, 2008 9:22am
Thread
Sorry, Baqash... I keep forgetting that. I'm just so used to sticking a "U" after a "Q"...

~BOB~
Re: Carved stamps as Christmas gifts
Reply to: #319781 by knit wit
Dec 6, 2008 9:33am
Thread
As a retired elementary educator, I think what you're doing is fabulous! I'm very sure that the teacher would be more than willing for you to come to the classroom and coordinate this activity one day during the last week before holiday break.

Maybe you could hide a letterbox in the classroom. You could talk to the kids about letterboxing as much in depth as you want or think is appropriate. Write the clue for your classroom box and cut it into 20 numbered parts (or however many children there are in the class). Each child reads his or her part of the clue aloud in order and they figure out together where the box is hidden.

Then each child could stamp the box's stamp in his or her friendship/log book. Maybe the box and stamp could have a friendship theme. Then let them stamp in and sign each other's friendship books and everyone gets a chance to use his or her new stamp!

You could even wind it up just before recess with a second letterbox to search for outside. ;-)
Reply to: #319882 by Bobguyman
Dec 6, 2008 9:57am
Thread
Hmm... Is it grayish? If so, it's what my class used =)

Careful. There are several gray products out there. I've tried at least two, both of which were so bad I wouldn't wish them on a class of students.

AFAIK, there's only one "pink stuff" (by two different names), presuming you don't count pink erasers, of which there are bazillions. And there's only one orange stuff. But there are several whites and several grays, and at least a couple of tans.

Hmmm. Seems like you could almost go by color: Pink, orange, or white are OK, avoid tan and gray.
Reply to: #319883 by Suzy Lou
Dec 6, 2008 10:00am
Thread
I think Nasco makes it.

Nasco offers at least two products. Their Softoleum is gray (no whitish about it) and it's awful. I haven't tried their other stuff, I think it's called Safety Kut and I understood it was white, and we've had a couple of reports that it's not bad.
Reply to: #319970 by knit wit
Dec 6, 2008 10:06am
Thread
Actually, at some odd moment within the last six months I was in Michaels and actually found a Speedy-CARVE starter pack. (I think the manager messed up with the order.)

No, they regularly carry the starter pack. So, if you're willing to pay for a wooden handle, a couple of nibs, and an instruction book each time, you can buy pink stuff at Michael's.

...it had a label on the front that declared the product was good for many craft and hobby uses "including letterboxing".

Ooooh, I hadn't noticed that! I'll have to check it out!
Reply to: #319977 by terrio
Dec 6, 2008 10:18am
Thread
What if all of us--every time we went to Micheal's--asked for Speedy-carve?

It would make no difference at all. The days when stores listened to customers' requests are long gone; the person you ask won't even know who to forward the request to. All they care about is the computer totals of how many sales they get for a product, and unfortunately those tallies told them that Speedy-Cut sells better than Speedy-Carve -- because it's cheaper and most customers don't know the difference.

It really doesn't make any difference to me whether Michael's offers Speedy-Carve or not; I'm perfectly happy to order from stampeaz.com. Saves me a drive to Michael's. But I truly believe that Speedball ceasing production of Speedy-Cut would be better for everybody, especially Speedball! They would sell more of their more expensive product (Speedy-Carve), Michael's would sell more of their more expensive product, their customers would be happier, and their customers would become repeat customers. And we'd have happier newbies here, since we wouldn't be getting these messages from them asking how to keep the carving material from crumbling while cutting.

Perhaps a better ploy would be to try and educate the teachers. If we could convince them to quit subjecting their students to Speedy-Cut and to use Dollar Tree erasers or Nasco Safety Kut instead, Speedball would have that much less incentive to cease making two products and concentrate on making just one good product.
Reply to: #320026 by Kirbert
Dec 6, 2008 10:27am
Thread
Okay, I thought Nasco made it, but they don't.
Here's a picture:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz404/01/
Reply to: #320035 by Kirbert
Dec 6, 2008 10:30am
Thread
It might not make a big difference to Michaels, a big chain. But it will matter to a small mom/pop store trying to keep your business. Of course, the response I got when I requested MasterCarve was for a bulk order... she just couldn't afford to stock it until some larger interest in the product was seen. Which is where educating teachers to use the better product would come in. I have told the store a few times that that there is another carver here in this town and the less than favorable points of the bad stuff... I think it just took here too long to sell the bad stuff... she seems to be softening to me, though... the more I shop her scrapbbok store. Personal relationship is going to make a difference for the smaller stores... Michael's won't care diddly squat. They have too many things they offer to satisfy one sticking point.
EMMM
Reply to: #319778 by knit wit
Dec 6, 2008 10:33am
Thread
if we had the email address we could All email and request Speedy Carve!
Reply to: #320041 by Suzy Lou
Dec 6, 2008 10:34am
Thread
Here's a picture:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz404/01/

I tried one gray stuff that I was told was Dick Blick's Soft-Kut. It was awful; the razor knife would tug and grab trying to cut it. But others have reported being reasonably happy with Soft-Kut, which would be unfathomable with the stuff I was using, so I guess it wasn't Soft-Kut after all.
Reply to: #320044 by Eeny Meany Miney Moe
Dec 6, 2008 10:36am
Thread
... she just couldn't afford to stock it until some larger interest in the product was seen.

Bob's Law: "There cannot be a demand until there is a supply." Just exactly how was she expecting to see interest in a product she didn't carry?