A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: 1/2" MasterCarve
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #316727 by knit wit
Dec 1, 2008 8:22pm
Thread
I agree. I thought softer was better when I started carving but now I carve more complicated things and I think harder is much better. I like the orange PZ cut best.
Re: Improvised Carving Nib Handle
Reply to: #317638 by BrewHiker
Dec 2, 2008 10:38am
Thread
Where were you three weeks ago?? We had 6 Girl Scouts sitting around the table with our first carving kit, and only one handle. Two of us did stab ourselves when we got impatient and tried holding the nibs in our hands!
Holidays and new stamp material...
Dec 3, 2008 10:09am
Thread
Not sure where to post this, but my family had an aha moment...
We want more stamp carving material (at least, dh and the kids do. I haven't tried carving due to , er, lack of material. Hm.) And people want to get us "stuff" for the holidays.
And Amazon has a cool new feature. You can add a Universal Wishlist button to your Amazon list and add stuff from ANY site. We added Stampeaz items and a Stampeaz gift card.

I'm still wondering how it works for the purchaser...but now they can see what dh and the kids really want and WHERE to get it. :-)

Thought I'd share, just in case any of you are in the same boat...
Re: Holidays and new stamp material...
Reply to: #318338 by Uncorny Acorns
Dec 3, 2008 12:14pm
Thread
Thought I'd share, just in case any of you are in the same boat...

You thought you'd share, just in case any of us wanted to send you some rubber! ;-)
Re: Laserjet printers?
Reply to: #315357 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Dec 3, 2008 3:57pm
Thread
I have an HP LaserJet 5L I got cheaply on ebay with an extra toner cartridge. It works great for stamp transfers! They print like 4000 pages on a cartridge and I only use it for stamp images... that's a lot of stamps. You might need an usb to parallel port to connect your new pc to the old printer. I think an HP 4L 5L or 6L would be ideal. Here's a cheap one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-LASERJET-4L-LASER-PRINTER-W-TONER-AND-CABLES_W0QQitemZ350131889794QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_Printers?hash=item350131889794&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

To make sure it connects well to your pc check out this info:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1228348525201+28353475&threadId=1031885
Re: Laserjet printers?
Reply to: #318548 by Eli and Aubrey
Dec 3, 2008 5:30pm
Thread
I think an HP 4L 5L or 6L would be ideal.

I had a 4L. The 4 series printers only print up to 300dpi, which can making printing a good image for carving a challenge At 600dpi the 5 and 6 series do work well.

Sunny
Mounting
Dec 3, 2008 10:32pm
Thread
I am sure I am not the first to think of this, but I hadn't seen it mentioned so far. I found a small 4 pack of rubber stamps mounted to blocks of wood for a $1 at Michaels, and figured I could some how take off the precut stamp and mount my own to it. So I bought them and turns out the stamp will just peel off so all I have to do it take off the foam or add more for my stamp. I haven't tried it yet, but these would be a perfect size for letterbox stamps. Tonight I found bigger ones at the Dollar Store and they would be perfect for LTC size stamps.

If anyone has tried it please let me know how your's turned out.
Re: Mounting
Reply to: #318679 by x'ing paths
Dec 3, 2008 10:59pm
Thread
I know Mama Fox put her tiny siggy stamp on the back of a wood block that was a store bought stamp....
seems like she said it was $1 and the best $1 she had ever spent....
her tiny stamp is easier to handle and stamps up so much easier.
Reply to: #318681 by Dixie
Dec 4, 2008 2:59am
Thread
Yesterday I went to Home Depot and got 1 board of lamimnent flooring for just said reason. Since the box was not suposed to be opened, the GAVE me the board (but was willing to pay the listed price of $1.49/board). I also paid $0.16 for 1 piece of regular tile that I use while carving stamps. Place the tile upside down...the slick side makes it wasier to turn on the table and the 'underside' has grooves to hold the stamp.
Dec 4, 2008 3:46am
Thread
ACMoore has a bin of rubber stamps mounted on the wood blocks. They are cheap though and sometimes the stamp comes off the wood. I dug through there one time and took out a bunch of the bare wood blocks and asked the store manager if I could buy them for cheap. She sold them to me for 10 cents each, no matter of the size.
Dec 4, 2008 6:20am
Thread
figured I could some how take off the precut stamp and mount my own to it.

Unmounting stamps is pretty easy. Microwave the stamp for 30 seconds. Use your finger nail to see if the stamp is starting to lift up, if not, pop it in for another 30 seconds. If you still can't do it, continue in 10 second increments 'till the glue releases. Once you get an edge up, the rest should peel right off.

Happy Zapping!

Tee
Professional stamp carvers, I need some help!
Dec 4, 2008 8:08pm
Thread
Professional Stamp Carvers who indeed know what they are doing, I need your help...

I am hoping to carve a very large and very detailed stamp in a few months. I thought I'd get a little info right now...

...So, anyway, I just want a little info on how I can transfer an image straight from the printer with amazing results in transfer. Is there a certain ink type I need to use? Or does it have to be a certain printer (PLEASE SAY NOT!!)?

I'm going to scan this image in from a book of mine and my scanning printer does not take the image off of a scan very well without making the black very gray and actually sometimes a pinkish-red... Any help on that either?

~BOB~
Re: Professional stamp carvers, I need some help!
Reply to: #319330 by Bobguyman
Dec 4, 2008 8:10pm
Thread
Raven Wolf has had some amazing results using temporary tattoos. You can read more here:

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=289231;gThreadId=41361

Good luck with the carve!
Dec 5, 2008 3:30am
Thread
Electric uses an inkjet printer, set on draft mode and uses the thin plastic cover from the report type folders. He prints, fans for about 1 minute (give or take depending on the amount of ink layed down) till it is just this side of tacky then transfers to the rubber.

I have not tried this at home yet, he has not set up the extra printer for me to try. As for the temp tattoo method....I can't wait to try it myself.
Reply to: #319370 by ElectricMedic
Dec 5, 2008 4:00am
Thread
He prints, fans for about 1 minute (give or take depending on the amount of ink layed down) till it is just this side of tacky then transfers to the rubber.

My experience with this type of transfer is that it smudges when you carve. Basically, you cannot see the ink where you have just carved a line and I always carve by carving close to where I want, then going back and fixing it. That basically is impossible with this method.

It could be my printer or transfer method, but I was not happy with it at all for large or detailed stamps.
Reply to: #319386 by ArchimedesScrew
Dec 5, 2008 4:07am
Thread
is that it smudges when you carve

He has not said anything to me about this being a problem....food for thought.
Reply to: #319331 by Angel and Demon
Dec 5, 2008 4:41am
Thread
My son had a temp tattoo so I tried it. OMG.....it was the easiest transfer method and no difference in carving. Gotta get the sheets now.....

EM
Dec 5, 2008 4:52am
Thread
I am not by any means a professional, but I'll tell you some things I have found to be helpful.

If you can save the image to your computer, you an use a photo editing program to take care of the gray/red problem. Adjust the brightness and contrast until you get what you want.

I have an ink jet printer and I transfer with acetone. Two things I have found that greatly improve my results:

1. Print on quality paper. The thinner the paper, the more likely my images are to run when I apply the acetone.
2. Use 100% pure acetone instead of the fingernail polish remover which normally has additives. Using the pure acetone means you have to apply only a small amount and the paper does not seem to stick to the rubber.

I hope you find these ideas useful. :)

-Quiet Place
Dec 5, 2008 6:15am
Thread
Thanks for the professional help, everyone! I think I have a clearer idea of what I'm getting into and some possible ideas for how I'm going to do this... Thanks! =D

~BOB~
Re: Mounting on Wood
Reply to: #316615 by Kirbert
Dec 5, 2008 8:21am
Thread
I used to use wood or some other rigid backer reasoning that a perfectly flat plane is the best way to print an image from a stamp. And it is. If you make a woodcut and want to make block prints, you want absolute, flat rigidity and lots of pressure. Problem is, logbooks in the woods are not always flat or rigid. Through the paper, you may have a ridge in the back of the logbook or the logbook may be very flexible. Since letterboxers all use different books and stamping techniques, you can't expect a highly rigid stamp to work well in the woods. I used to, because it worked for me, but I realized it wasn't working as well for the boxers finding my boxes, and they are the ones who count. I have been disappointed many times seeing my images in other peoples' logbooks with areas that didn't transfer well.

After taking grief from local boxers for using wood, and after finding lots of boxes with every type of backer or no backer, we finally settled on the thick 6mm foam. Personally, I think it's just about the best of all worlds as it provides a thick enough stamp to adroitly hold, adds significat stiffness to the stamp, while remaining flexible enough for people press all parts of the stamp onto their pages. Adding a rigid backer on top of the foam makes sense to me, and I have seen a kirbert stamp with acrylic over foam that I liked. However, I have been converted to foam alone (but only the thick stuff) especially for larger highly detailed stamps because with a rigid material behind it, you can't press specifically in one spot. If the letterboxer, for example, is reaching the end of his or her logbook and there is a "hollow" spot in the middle of the page due to an uneven surface in the back cover of the book, the only way to get a complete impression is to be able to press that part of stamp to the page. Of course, the best scenario would be for everyone to carry a sheet of acrylic or something rigid to slide behind the page you are stamping on, but that's not likely to happen.

My 2 cents
Reply to: #319386 by ArchimedesScrew
Dec 5, 2008 8:24am
Thread
My experience with this type of transfer is that it smudges when you carve. Basically, you cannot see the ink where you have just carved a line

I have had this problem with ink as well, and also with toner that has been chemically transferred with xylene. After carving a small line, the black is gone next to where I carved.
Dec 5, 2008 8:32am
Thread
Before you carve a "very large stamp" ask yourself, why? Large stamps are difficult to ink up, and diffcult to get a good stamp image. It is not something you normally would want to plant in the wild. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, just be sure.
Reply to: #319517 by Scarab
Dec 5, 2008 9:42am
Thread
My 6 X 6 (maybe 8) inch stamp is going to be cut up into parts and planted. I say.. why not?
Response from Speedball
Dec 5, 2008 4:15pm
Thread
Hey, I actually got a response from Speedball regarding my suggestion that they discontinue Speedy-Cut. Here it is:

Dear Kirby,

Thank you for your comments, and for your interest in Speedball products.
Speedy-Cut and Speedy-Carve both have very dedicated customer groups, and
like yourself, many letterboxers use the Speedy-Carve. Speedy-Cut tends to
be used more in schools under direction of teachers, and also for fine
artists. You are absolutely correct in that Speedy-Carve is a superior
product for your purpose and for that of many others who carve.

With Best Regards,

Rita N. Madsen

Director of Marketing

Speedball Art Products Co.

(704) 978-4181

(800) 898-7224

(704) 838-1472 fax
Carved stamps as Christmas gifts
Dec 5, 2008 4:19pm
Thread
I don't know what I was thinking! It started out innocently enough. I wanted to carve stamps for my daughter's second grade schoolmates (both classes). I wanted it to be a surprise, mostly because I didn't want to obligate myself until I knew I could get it done.

I didn't know what the kids liked. So, I talked to my daughter and we decided to send a list of questions to each kid, asking their favorite things. At the bottom of the page was a small square and instructions to draw their favorite doodle in pencil. I told her to just tell them we were going to make friendship books.

And so now I am making friendship books AND stamps for 23 kids plus 2 teachers! All must be completed by the 19th!

I plan to make small pages so I can get 6 pages out of one letter sized piece of paper.

But now that I've gotten THIS close to equipping them to letterbox, I am seriously considering planting a letterbox just for them and mailing clues to them over Christmas break. It will give them a chance to use their stamps.

But, this idea leaves questions about how I should make the "friendship book". Should I leave blank pages and suggest it be used to log their finds? Or just make the friend pages in the book and let the kids who want to letterbox figure the logbook out for themselves? I'm just afraid it won't be appreciated as much if the kids do not have all the necessities to really go letterboxing.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I crazy? :)

-Quiet Place
Re: Carved stamps as Christmas gifts
Reply to: #319761 by Quiet Place
Dec 5, 2008 4:31pm
Thread
Hide some letterboxes around the school especially for the class so they can get a taste for it (and with the administration's ok). In the library, under a water fountain w/magnets, on the grounds outside, etc. Then perhaps hide some in the community so the kids can go find some with their families if they're so inclined.

Just a few ideas.
Re: Response from Speedball
Reply to: #319759 by Kirbert
Dec 5, 2008 4:48pm
Thread
Speedy-Cut tends to be used more in schools under direction of teachers,

I have to agree this point.

I let my seven year old daughter carve her own stamps out of speedy-cut, nothing else. She uses them to make LTCs, so no fear of someone else breaking it.

-Quiet Place
Re: Response from Speedball
Reply to: #319759 by Kirbert
Dec 5, 2008 5:02pm
Thread
Wow! That isn't even a form letter!

Now, Kirbert, your next assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to write Michael's and convince them to carry Speedy-Carve as well. :-)

Knit Wit
Re: Carved stamps as Christmas gifts
Reply to: #319761 by Quiet Place
Dec 5, 2008 5:10pm
Thread
now I am making friendship books AND stamps for 23 kids plus 2 teachers! All must be completed by the 19th!

And you're only just now questioning your sanity????? ;-)

First of all, the kids are expecting friendship books so I guess you can't leave them blank. I like the idea of hiding a box and sending them the clues (with an explanation of letterboxing for the parents) over the break.

Maybe leave a couple of blank pages in the book. Some kids won't be interested at all (or their parents won't be interested in taking them). If the kids do get hooked, they'll need a real logbook pretty soon anyway.

Good luck! You've got a lot of work to do but it sounds like a fun project and it is such a "you" thing to do. (I mean that in the nicest way. You've been so generous with your planting that it doesn't surprise me that you'd take something like this on.) :-)

Knit Wit
Reply to: #319517 by Scarab
Dec 5, 2008 5:33pm
Thread
Well, you see, I don't plan to plant it in the wild... and it probably won't be a personal traveler, and I will probably just use it for a set of LTCs =)

It's also somewhat for showing off on my stamp carving site (listed on my profile)... Plus, the only way to get better is to try more difficult things. Sometimes, that means getting bigger and working on it for many, many hours =)

~BOB~