A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: Gouge Modification Photos
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #805841 by Kirbert
Sep 19, 2013 11:16pm
Thread
Turns out someone offered to send me their 3U!! I'm so grateful.

KJo (who, being a monkey, is perfectly capable of jumping on cases or climbing on palm trees but knows better than to monkey around with puffins or palms that provide carving supplies) :-)
Sweetloveqiner Random Color Material
Sep 19, 2013 11:41pm
Thread
Today I received a sample of carving material I ordered from this site:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/158838825/1pcs-rubber-stamp-carving-blocks?ref=sr_gallery_37&ga_search_query=rubber+stamp+carving+blocks&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

A couple of notes: First, it says on the site that this stuff ships from China. They ain't lyin', it took three weeks to get here, and the return address on the package is in China. The vendor is "sweetloveqiner", the confirmation came from a "justin Ding" and it doesn't sound like English is his (her?) first language. Dunno how it gets halfway around the world on $3.99 shipping.

Second, it says on the site that the carving material comes in a variety of colors at random. The piece I got was green. It's really pretty. It looks like avacado -- the inside of an avacado, not the outside. Actually, it doesn't look like any of the colors in the picture on that site.

Third, sorry, still no name for it. It basically came in a plain cellophane wrapper. We can't just call it "green stuff" because who knows what color the next buyer will get. I'm tempted to call it "Chinese stuff", but there are probably other carving materials from China out there so that's probably not good. For now I'll just call it "sweetloveqiner random color" -- sweetloveqiner also offers plain white stuff and I dunno if it's the same material or different.

This evening I carved a stamp from it. The following are my thoughts:

I reeeally like carving this stuff! As I've opined before, my all-time Top Three are 1) orange PZ Kut; 2) white PZ Kut; 3) original pink stuff, before they recently messed it up. This stuff from China is a solid contender for the #2 spot. The stuff is fairly firm, nearly as firm as white PZ Kut was, but it cuts more smoothly with either a knife or a gouge. After developing a feel for how it behaves, I found myself yanking chunks out of it with such gleeful abandon that I had to tell myself to slow down and be careful lest I hack something I don't wanna hack. And I also found myself thinking about carving details this image didn't even call for, like seeing how narrow I could make a line.

I began carving with a wire knife, but partway through I switched to a shortened X-Acto #11. Frankly, I think most knife carvers would prefer using the #11 on this stuff; the wire knife has a bit of spring in the blade which is great for carving some materials but this stuff is a bit too firm to use with it. There's a slight tendency for the wire knife to dig in and then suddenly spring forward a bit on you, ungood. It does work, though, and with a little bit of practice with it -- carefully avoiding cutting too deep -- and it'd probably be an acceptable tool for carving this stuff.

The image involved also called for some gouge work, and if anything this material is better with a gouge than with a knife! It cuts unbelievably smoothly, including with a #5, which usually involves a hefty push with other materials. Honestly, with a #5 it might cut better than any material I've tried, including orange PZ Kut.

If anything, the "release" of this material may be too easy. There were a couple of times when, using either gouge or knife, the piece came out when I wasn't even through cutting it yet! Like, slicing up to a narrow point and the chunk comes out leaving the very point of that sliver in place. Fortunately, it was easy to just go back and pick it up -- unlike with OZ, where you've got a fight on your hands trying to get a little piece like that to come out.

I hesitate to say too much about the color since others may end up with different colors, but there are a couple of things to note. First, the green color does work to show where you've already sliced with the knife, but not strongly. In fact, it might not even be as distinctive as pink stuff. Definitely nowhere near the bright distiction of orange PZ Kut.

Second, this stuff cuts so smoothly that it was easy to imagine that I was actually carving avacado. Like, gather up all the slivers and let's make guacamole!

Third, and this is a weird one, something I can't say I've ever seen before. The places you've just cut out with a gouge look just a bit different -- just a bit lighter color, just a bit less shiny -- than the places you cut out five minutes ago! That is the weirdest thing, and for a while I wondered if I was seeing things. When I was nearly done and trimming out the low-lying areas of the stamp, though, it became more and more apparent: The spot I just trimmed a high spot off of looks just a bit different than everything around it, which is an area I had carved myself only a little while earlier. And, of course, a couple of minutes later, it all looks the same. I have no idea what's behind that; perhaps the material oxidizes a little bit when exposed to air. Maybe it's really made of avacado! Curious as this phenomenon is, I have no idea what it might be good for.

Then, just to cap things off, it turns out this stuff inks up and stamps better than most materials. The image I carved happened to have some large black areas, and rather than getting the usual mostly-black with a bit of dandruff in it, these areas came out black.

Finally, to put a damper on this review: When rubbed with a finger, I did notice a small amount of pilling. Not terrible, not as bad as bad pink by any means, but enough to raise some concerns about the durability of the finished stamp in a heavy-use application. If not for that and the fact that this piece was rather expensive (a 6x4 piece cost me $8.79 including shipping) this stuff probably would rank #2 behind orange PZ Kut. As it is, we'll leave it as pending some experience to see how durable it proves to be and whether or not it can be purchased any cheaper by buying a whole pile of it.
Reply to: #806135 by Webfoot
Sep 19, 2013 11:53pm
Thread
Will there be any Speedball nibs involved?
Re: Sweetloveqiner Random Color Material
Reply to: #806199 by Kirbert
Sep 20, 2013 12:38am
Thread
Interesting resource. I noticed the more you buy, the cheaper the shipping gets, but not by much. You gotta order 10 slabs to get the persheet cost down to $6.99 with shipping. I might try some though. Thanks

AB
Sep 20, 2013 1:17am
Thread
I asked sweetloveqiner about the random color material vs. the white material. Here is the response:

dear buyer,Thank you for your interests in my item.
the rubber stamp material is all the same,only the color is not the same.

Frankly, I kinda like the color -- but I like the fact that the white comes in bigger pieces more! Bigger blocks means less waste. So next order I'll probably buy a pile of the white stuff.
Reply to: #806207 by Kirbert
Sep 20, 2013 1:30am
Thread
I wonder what the sandwich stuff is like to carve? It looked interesting to me. I would be able to see where i cut the rubber stuff out of it. The kids wanted to know what I wanted for X-Mas and now I know.

GH
Distiguishing Pink stuff
Sep 20, 2013 1:45am
Thread
Something clicked that brought up a memory from our early carving years. It was probably '05 or so. I bought a less expensive version of pink stuff that was right next to the good stuff on the shelf at Michael's. It was pretty bad - crumbly like the cheap white stuff. I studied the packaging trying to figure out how to know what to buy in the future and discovered the names were different. Speedy Stamp (with the bar code) was good and I think the bad stuff was called Speedy-*Carve*. Of course "craptastic" works too but they don't put that on the packaging. :-)
The craptastic white stuff is called Speedy-Carve too.
So Speedball must have discontinued Speedy Stamp, replacing it with Speedy Carve . . .. ?

Anyway, if these names are the same today, we can ID the pink stuff before buying it. Can anyone confirm to prove this wrong?
Sep 20, 2013 4:06am
Thread
Seeing as it is from China, who knows what is in it. China tends not to care about environmental or safety issues when it comes to chemicals. This allows them to put out a product much like the ones you loved because they haven't had to change their formula.
Re: Distiguishing Pink stuff
Reply to: #806209 by Kurious Jo
Sep 20, 2013 4:33am
Thread
Must have gotten that crumbly white stuff when I went to an art shop I'd never been to before. It was horrid and a waste of money. You are right. They should note the level of crappiness on the labels. Now I had to toss carves after one event that were a snot to carve in the first place because they won't hold up. I have had better luck with oops erasers.
Sep 20, 2013 4:46am
Thread
"Craptastic"

yay, I've started a trendy word : )
Sep 20, 2013 4:48am
Thread
The craptastic white (now blue) from Speedball is Speedy Cut. The pink was once called Speedy Stamp, and then they changed the name to Speedy Carve. However, the name change was completely independent of the formula change. There is Speedy Carve both good and bad. If you can still find stuff labelled Speedy Stamp, you'll know it's good since its by definition the old formula. But it's been long enough now since that change that you probably won't run across any.
Reply to: #806217 by turkey feathers
Sep 20, 2013 5:58am
Thread
yay, I've started a trendy word : )

I decided that curiousity just needed to uncover the origins of that word. A quick search found the earliest used on these boards was back in 2006.

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=58527
Reply to: #806231 by RingoH
Sep 20, 2013 5:59am
Thread
Oh, but prior to you using it a month ago it had not been used since January of 2012.
Reply to: #806231 by RingoH
Sep 20, 2013 6:20am
Thread
However, it was listed to Urban Dictionary on July 28, 2004. :-)
Reply to: #806236 by BfloAnonChick
Sep 20, 2013 6:31am
Thread
I've been calling Fantastic Sam's hair salon, Craptastic Sam's since my son was 2 and they botched his hair, that was 2004.
Reply to: #806236 by BfloAnonChick
Sep 20, 2013 6:34am
Thread
However, it was listed to Urban Dictionary on July 28, 2004. :-)

I knew someone would have better research methods than I would. ;-)
Reply to: #806208 by Granny Hummingbird
Sep 20, 2013 8:48am
Thread
I haven't tried that particular stuff, but I tried another type of sandwich stuff a coupla years back. It's a really, really bad idea. You have to carve really deep before you break through to the other color, so when you're done with the stamp the entire thing is one color except for the few deepest places where blotches of the deeper color show through. No help at all. Worse, heaven forbid the two colors are even the slightest bit different chemically, because with age or temperature or whatever one may expand or shrink more than the other and the whole slab will start to curl up on you.

What would be a good idea is if they'd offer a material that was made of one solid color yet had another color printed on the surface. Hence, the second color is no thicker than a layer of ink you might apply yourself. If you will do an Etsy search for "rubber stamp carving blocks", you will find that someone does offer exactly such a material! It's a bit more expensive than the sweetloveqiner products, though, and IMHO those are pricey enough already.
Sep 20, 2013 8:52am
Thread
Not exactly. Speedy-Stamp was the earlier name for Speedy-Carve, both being the good pink stuff. The crumbly white (tan, actually -- we have truly white materials in white PZ Kut and OZ) is called Speedy-Cut. It's speedy, all right -- just a few quick cuts and it'll be in the trash can lickety-split.
Reply to: #806263 by Kirbert
Sep 20, 2013 4:15pm
Thread
Which begs a question: who buys Speedy Cut and what do they use it for? Obviously letterboxers have shunned it since long before I started. But they keep making and selling the product, so it must be of some use to somebody out there.

K
Reply to: #806360 by Kelsung
Sep 20, 2013 4:19pm
Thread
who buys Speedy Cut and what do they use it for?

Me. I bought it because the LTCs were due, I was out of material, Hobby Lobby was out of pink, and I HAD to carve something RIGHT THEN.

It's not the worst carve I ever did, but I have no plans to repeat the experience anytime soon!

This is what procrastination gets you!
Sep 20, 2013 4:32pm
Thread
People who do block printing only need to use their wood blocks / stamps a limited number of times. Durability isn't really an issue when you're making 20 prints and then destroying the original :)
Reply to: #806363 by Aiphid
Sep 20, 2013 4:55pm
Thread
{People who do block printing}

In our rounds into the art world we've run across block printing art. Of course art is in the eye of the beholder but I was surprised at the lack of . . . expertise in carving. It's a different style that is neat in itself, but some of it really is just poor. Some rubber carvers could definitely enter their work at the art galleries. Probably a lot of people on this board could. Yep!
Reply to: #806262 by Kirbert
Sep 20, 2013 5:19pm
Thread
sandwich stuff

Thank you for letting me know before I had the chance to ask for it from my family.

GH
Reply to: #806203 by Kirbert
Sep 20, 2013 6:02pm
Thread
Will there be any Speedball nibs involved?

Yes, hence the case jumping comment. :)

Webfoot
Sep 20, 2013 6:59pm
Thread
Thanks for the detailed review of the Chinese carving block.
Sep 21, 2013 11:15am
Thread
I neglected to mention that this sweetloveqiner material is a bit thicker than most. I mic'd it at 7.6mm thick. 1/4" is 6.35mm, so you can see this is about 20% thicker than that.
Sep 22, 2013 6:44am
Thread
Which begs a question: who buys Speedy Cut and what do they use it for?

I inherited several pieces of this from a Girl Scout trainer who taught LB classes for some time. I taught my first GS LB class yesterday and the trainees all made sig stamps with the speedy cut. The class is designed to teach leaders how to teach girls. Therefore they used altered pencils as gouges along with large paperclips for finer areas. The Speedy Cut worked well under these conditions. I did also bring a couple of traditional gouges so they could assess the safety factor involved in using them with very young children. The adults all made very creative designs though obviously not elaborate but I felt it was a good material for this introductory level and would be appropriate for children too. I had thought it was no longer available in stores so am glad to hear that I was wrong.

I did also strongly suggest that if a GS troop is going to plant a box that they consider making it a limited time box b/c an unmaintained box is just trash in the woods and GS don't do that. The idea was actually very appealling to them vs making it a permanent plant that they have to maintain.

CTEE
Moo Carve????
Sep 29, 2013 8:27pm
Thread
Has anyone ever tried carving in moo carve I saw this white carving black for sale and was wondering
Thanks
Re: Moo Carve????
Reply to: #808026 by Taradacyl
Sep 29, 2013 8:42pm
Thread
Very bad
Re: Moo Carve????
Reply to: #808026 by Taradacyl
Sep 29, 2013 11:51pm
Thread
Do a search of this board and you'll find info going back a few years.

K