A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: Gouge Modification Photos
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #801721 by Kirbert
Sep 7, 2013 12:07am
Thread
I have just posted additional photos of the 2U, the 4 Short, and -- of all things -- a 0.5:

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?gAlbumId=3810&gSortBy=alpha

This link is better than the earlier version, because it goes ahead and sorts alphabetically. Since I've named all the photos for the gouge itself, this will automagically group all the photos of the same type mod together.
Re: Staedtler 1V - Am i asking for the impossible?
Reply to: #803172 by Wry Me
Sep 7, 2013 12:09am
Thread
...men constantly comparing their tools for size? We've told you a thousand times ... it's technique that matters.

What gets me is that women think their opinion of what is important matters.
Reply to: #803226 by Kirbert
Sep 7, 2013 3:27am
Thread
...men constantly comparing their tools for size? We've told you a thousand times ... it's technique that matters.

*crickets
Re: a video of reverse use
Reply to: #803213 by bluebirdlover
Sep 7, 2013 1:51pm
Thread
who is that in the video? is that Wolfie??

and that's not the way i use mine at all. interesting that. i *definitely* use both tools much more shallowly, and move the material more. i should take video. . .

Oh, Mr Umbrella!!. . . .

~tigs
Re: a video of reverse use
Reply to: #803299 by tiggermama
Sep 7, 2013 8:10pm
Thread
It is a guest instructor. But, yes, do take a video & get that Mr. Umbrella to help you. I agree that I hold my mini at a more shallow angle. How often do you use your reverse compared to other tools?

I am not ready for you to come knocking on my door yet to claim my reverse. I am very eager to see your video!!
personal laser printers for transfers
Sep 8, 2013 7:26am
Thread
There are several inexpensive laser printers available for less than $100. Can anyone recommend one of these that works well for transfers? I'd like to have a printer at home I can use, and I've given up on ink jet transfers as too inconsistent. Thanks for any suggestions.
Re: personal laser printers for transfers
Reply to: #803381 by Open Space
Sep 8, 2013 7:49am
Thread
I got my HP laser printer 6P on ebay for like $40 a couple years ago. It's ancient looking and I don't know what I'll do whenever it runs out of ink. I only use it to print images for carving stamps so the ink will last longer. I've been told that the ink in these last for quite awhile. After I print, all I have to do is run the blender pen over it onto the medium and it's ready to carve.
Reply to: #803390 by scouttrekkie
Sep 8, 2013 8:02am
Thread
Thanks. It looks like you can get toner for it on ebay also.
Reply to: #803393 by Open Space
Sep 8, 2013 8:36am
Thread
Yay! Thanks for the tip on that. Ebay has is all. :)
Reply to: #803381 by Open Space
Sep 8, 2013 10:19am
Thread
I use a Brother I bought from one of those big name Office stores. I spent somewhere between $60-%100. I was tired of always having to buy expensive ink cartridges and still having to go to the PO to make a 25 cent copy for my transfers. I bought it in the beginning of the year and have been using it for my son's home school and my never dying carving needs and the sample toner cartridge that came with it has still yet to run out.
Reply to: #803428 by Raven
Sep 8, 2013 10:56am
Thread
I was thinking of going to Frys this afternoon but I wasn't sure what to get. Good to know the Brother printer works. What model do you have?

A friend told me there is a list of printers somewhere on the help or wiki pages but I cant seem to dig it up. Anyone have a link?
Reply to: #803436 by Open Space
Sep 8, 2013 11:06am
Thread
Is this what you're looking for link?
Reply to: #803439 by scouttrekkie
Sep 8, 2013 11:22am
Thread
yes, thanks!
Reply to: #803436 by Open Space
Sep 8, 2013 11:26am
Thread
What model do you have?

HL-2270W I think we went for Brother because the next cheapest was Lexmark which I think was going to discontinue their lasers for home office, so didn't know if we'd be able to get toner refills for very long. Not that printers are put out for longevity anymore.
Reply to: #803439 by scouttrekkie
Sep 8, 2013 11:27am
Thread
link?

Awesome! i never knew of this info. Very helpful.
Sep 8, 2013 11:35am
Thread
I've had my HP 6P for about 12 years. I've used it through 2 direct sales businesses and Girl Scout leadership (including being the Girl Scout organizer for my town). I've only had to replace toner twice. Both times I purchased my toner from Supplies Outlet and I never purchase the authentic HP brand so it is pretty cheap. It amazes me that people are still selling them... they run forever so I can't imagine ever wanting to get rid of it! Even if I buy another inkjet someday, I'll still keep my laser!

I've used this printer for acetone, iron, and wintergreen transfers. Never tried a blender pen but I imagine it would be fine.
Reply to: #803449 by Dizzy
Sep 8, 2013 11:52am
Thread
Wow thanks dizzy that is a good deal. Nice price for them and I'm glad it's not that hard to find. I usually use wintergreen oil for transfers but decided to use the blender pen. It cheaper in price- $3.59 but I don't know how many transfers I can get since I just got it. Hopefully a lot, if I don't pass out first from the smell. I thought wintergreen oil smelt bad. It was easy to do, just followed the AQ transfer tutorial for blender pen.
Re: Thin lines?
Reply to: #802623 by Kirbert
Sep 8, 2013 1:22pm
Thread
Michael's sells a pair of clip-on reading glasses for about $10 or so, +2.25 power.

I checked at my Michael's yesterday and could only find 1.5x. I'll keep looking. Sounds like a good solution.
Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #803459 by CTEagleEye
Sep 8, 2013 1:28pm
Thread
Check out your dollar stores in area and poke around for suitable containers
Reply to: #803459 by CTEagleEye
Sep 8, 2013 1:30pm
Thread
OO OO OO!!

Walgreen's has a 3X magnifier for reading Rx bottles that sells for under $3! it clips onto the material and works for standing up carving!! whoo hoo! i found it yesterday. i'm so excited. It reminds me of ElectricMedic's little jewelry loupe, only it's actually bigger, hinges out of the way (thus it's movable) and has a clip on it.

it is not my light up lamp, attached to my table, which i really like. However, this one is portable and definitely works.

~tigs
Reply to: #803464 by tiggermama
Sep 8, 2013 1:46pm
Thread
it clips onto the material and works for standing up carving

Wow! That does sound quite useful. Do you mean it clips onto the carving material? Are you saying you stand up to carve or do you mean the magnifier stands up?

Also, in poking around I found another possibility that clips onto the handle of craft tools.....maybe the Speedball pen holder?

Thoughts?
CTEE
Reply to: #803226 by Kirbert
Sep 8, 2013 2:43pm
Thread

You mean important to the man? Doubtful we're under any delusions in that regard.
Reply to: #803447 by Raven
Sep 8, 2013 5:46pm
Thread
Well I found a Brother HL-2270DW at Staples and got it this afternoon. i just tried the first transfer with acetone onto pink stuff and it worked fine. The image is lighter than the other laser transfers I've done, but it also doesn't want to run if you put too much acetone on it. It's certainly usable and better than inkjet on parchment. Thanks!
Reply to: #803522 by Open Space
Sep 8, 2013 6:21pm
Thread
Never tried acetone, but I had good results with the blender pen for transferring laser jet images or wintergreen oil and heat.
Sep 8, 2013 6:54pm
Thread
I have a 6P also and I love it for transfers with wintergreen oil. I did have to buy a parellel to USB adapter to make it work on my computer at home. After several years it finally ran out of toner (I bought it used on Craigslist) and I had to buy a replacement cartridge at Office Depot. That cartridge cost me more than the printer did! However I have every confidence that it will last for years and years.
Reply to: #803536 by PI Joe
Sep 8, 2013 7:18pm
Thread
I know PI Joe thanks to you, you were the one who told me about the 6P. Mine is still inking up fine. I think I'll try the supplied outlet Dizzy recommended. Hopefully it won't be awhile though. :)
Splitting Stamp?
Sep 9, 2013 7:02am
Thread
I checked on two separate boxes this weekend, both of which had damp logbooks. The stamps? Splitting in half. Does damp conditions have an effect on pink stuff or is it just poor letterboxing etiquette where people may have stuffed the stamp in to the small box (converted play-dough containers) carelessly?

-TLB
Re: Splitting Stamp?
Reply to: #803595 by The Lost Boys
Sep 9, 2013 7:10am
Thread
or is it just poor letterboxing etiquette where people may have stuffed the stamp in to the small box (converted play-dough containers) carelessly?

If I found a box in a Play-Dough container, I'd presume the owner didn't care one way or the other.
Reply to: #803595 by The Lost Boys
Sep 9, 2013 7:10am
Thread
(converted play-dough containers)

sounds like more conversions needed to container. Are stamps foam backed? Never saw a cracked stamp of pink stuff. It's usually pretty bendy. Is this the new crumbly pink? Speedy cut ( tan stuff) more often than not is cracked
Reply to: #803598 by Kirbert
Sep 9, 2013 7:12am
Thread
If I found a box in a Play-Dough container, I'd presume the owner didn't care one way or the other.

cashew jars trump Play-doh containers two fold. Proven fact ; )