A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting

Re: Thin lines?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #802066 by artTrekker
Sep 2, 2013 4:02pm
Thread
I wouldn't call white Speedy Carve quite craptastic, but it is pretty funky (kinda crumbly), and you will have more trouble getting the fine lines you are after with it than either good pink or OZ.

Good to know. Might make good practice pieces though.

..yellow StazOn ink, but many experienced carvers will advise you to apply it to your stamp material after you transfer your image because it makes it much easier to see where you have carved (removed material will be pink or white, without yellow coating; unremoved material will have a yellow tinge).

I have heard of doing that for transfers from parchment paper to keep them from smearing but never thought of it for pencil transfers. It does make sense that the contrasting colors would be a visual advantage. Thanks for the suggestion.
A magnifier will help with everything.

Even with my athlete's foot and ring around the collar? ;) Actually...not sure I want to look at those with a magnifier!

Peace
CTEE
Re: Gouge Modification Photos
Reply to: #801844 by tiggermama
Sep 2, 2013 4:46pm
Thread
Did you not see that Forayach said that he would thumb wrestle with me & then he would give me a NICE carving lesson! neener, neener, neener! Some folks are just nice.

I can't say I'll run when you show up cause I'm still not fast enough. You'd overtake me, I'm afraid. I'll hide it & leave clues. yeah, that's it! NO! I'm hanging on for that lesson!
Reply to: #802070 by CTEagleEye
Sep 2, 2013 4:47pm
Thread
Even with my athlete's foot and ring around the collar? ;) Actually...not sure I want to look at those with a magnifier!

umm, yeah, ew. Everything you need to see.
Reply to: #801847 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 4:48pm
Thread
I was hoping for the lesson whether I won or lost. Hoping the winner would feel sorry for the loser, if that is the way the thumb lands! ; )
Reply to: #801886 by WiseOldOwl
Sep 2, 2013 4:51pm
Thread
I'm almost scared to try the K, even though it sounds like just what I need.

Oh be brave & give it a whirl! Then just send it off to Foraych if you can't get it to work! (or me!)
Reply to: #802090 by bluebirdlover
Sep 2, 2013 4:53pm
Thread
I was hoping for the lesson whether I won or lost. Hoping the winner would feel sorry for the loser, if that is the way the thumb lands!

Here's how it works:
  • If I win, I get the reverse
  • If I lose, you hand over YOUR reverse, and I'll give you a lesson
(of course, I can't say that your reverse is ever making it back into your hands...)
Reply to: #802092 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 5:00pm
Thread
ere's how it works:

If I win, I get the reverse
If I lose, you hand over YOUR reverse, and I'll give you a lesson

(of course, I can't say that your reverse is ever making it back into your hands...)

Wow! You are wicked. Where did you write about me pocketing YOUR reverse? Thought you had one did you???????
Reply to: #802094 by bluebirdlover
Sep 2, 2013 5:12pm
Thread
Where did you write about me pocketing YOUR reverse?

Yes, I did seem to have left that part out, didn't I?
I guess that would be a possibility IF I brought it with me. Thankfully, it will be safely elsewhere...
Reply to: #802088 by bluebirdlover
Sep 2, 2013 6:32pm
Thread
well, i'll give you a lesson too, and no thumb wars! that sounds WAY too violent. how's about just a nice cuppa tea, and a little walk, a carving lesson, and we call it good?

how's that Boy o' yours?

~tigs
Reply to: #802135 by tiggermama
Sep 2, 2013 6:54pm
Thread
and no thumb wars! that sounds WAY too violent.

Well, I don't think it's supposed to be but...

Wolf *who likes to apply Calvin Ball "rules" to all games*
Reply to: #802147 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 8:29pm
Thread
Those "Calvin Ball" rules really are great - maybe you can teach me those while I give a carving exhibition to bluebirdlover (and tigs sneaks your reverses from your stash). :)
Reply to: #802178 by FORAYCH
Sep 2, 2013 8:32pm
Thread
(and tigs sneaks your reverses from your stash).

OMG!! Don't you DARN recruit Tigs!! As Igor's Assistant, I demand that you take my side!
Reply to: #802179 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 8:44pm
Thread
OMG!! Don't you DARN recruit Tigs!! As Igor's Assistant, I demand that you take my side!

Silly, Igor's Assistant! Tigs recruited ME - she is the one in charge, amazing you did not notice that for yourself!

FORAYCH - Stirring, stirring, poking, and stirring some more ;)
Reply to: #802183 by FORAYCH
Sep 2, 2013 8:54pm
Thread
Tigs recruited ME - she is the one in charge

WHAT??? Who the heck put HER in charge??!!
Hmmm... I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that...
Reply to: #802003 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 9:08pm
Thread
Perhaps that's what's been putting Cyclonic off about your boxes!
Reply to: #802030 by CTEagleEye
Sep 2, 2013 9:10pm
Thread
Ha! You wouldn't believe the condition of some of the brand new gouges I have seen!
Reply to: #802057 by artTrekker
Sep 2, 2013 9:11pm
Thread
When others view the gallery, would they see the photos in alphabetical order or in whatever their own default order is?
Reply to: #801946 by DM Scuba Brat
Sep 2, 2013 9:30pm
Thread
When I first saw this I thought you were looking for tips on how to twerk like Miley Cyrus! I then realized that she had blurred lines.... You were asking about thin lines. Wrong kind of lines.... My bad ;)
Reply to: #802187 by The Wolf Family
Sep 2, 2013 9:36pm
Thread
LOL!!!

I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that...

Here of course is who did: ???????
Reply to: #802066 by artTrekker
Sep 2, 2013 9:52pm
Thread
I am happy with Speedy Carve's longevity, though. I used it for my first Tahoe series, and it has held up fairly well for 9 years of pretty good use.

THAT was Speedy Carve?!! I'll say it held up, and with amazing detail and thin lines. Stunning carves.
Heat transfer
Sep 2, 2013 11:00pm
Thread
I tried to heat transfer, but I know I did it all wrong. I melted the pink stuff, OOPS. Oh well maybe another time. So I cut out my design , outlined it on the pink stuff, hand drew the details and carved my stamps. Just finished.

GH
Re: Heat transfer
Reply to: #802206 by Granny Hummingbird
Sep 3, 2013 12:52am
Thread
Here is a heat transfer video on youtube that I did a while back. Maybe something in it can be of help.
Reply to: #802193 by Kirbert
Sep 3, 2013 1:00am
Thread
When others view the gallery, would they see the photos in alphabetical order or in whatever their own default order is?

dunno. Ryan? Wassa?
Reply to: #802209 by nosox
Sep 3, 2013 2:23am
Thread
Heat transfer video on youtube

Thank you !!!!!! I also watched the other videos and they were all very helpful. I enjoyed the carving video with the gouge nibs and there was one using the knife. The carvers sure made it look easy. I'm sure with practice it will become easier. I recommend the new carvers watch this before they start.

GH
Reply to: #802206 by Granny Hummingbird
Sep 3, 2013 4:32am
Thread
I do nothing but the heat transfer. Using a #2 pencil works much better than ink or printer ink. Trace over your image with a pencil. Then with a lowest iron setting, using the tip of the iron, iron the transfer on to the pink stuff. You don't have to iron to much. If you hold the paper to the pink stuff you can lift the corner and check if you have ironed it enough. If not just use the tip again in the areas that need it.

Good luck and happy carving.
Reply to: #802178 by FORAYCH
Sep 3, 2013 5:10am
Thread
i like you!!!

~tigs (*walking quietly around the Wolf*)

by the way, if you strap BACON to any part of your body, that will help keep her attention.
Reply to: #802050 by CTEagleEye
Sep 3, 2013 5:51am
Thread
I recently watched a knife carver and tried the technique of cutting along the edge of a line and then making an angled cut next to it to remove the material but I really can't see the first line I cut...it just seems to seal back up....which made it impossible for me to cut an angled line next to it.

Hmmm...I think i resemble that remark.

If you carefully bend the stamp after the first cut, you can see the first line. This was easily done on the old pink, but the new stuff may break if you overdo it.

Also, wear 3X reading glasses even if they make you look like a dork :)
Sep 3, 2013 6:50am
Thread
I was given small scraps of white Speedy Carve recently but haven't had time to try it....how does that compare to the pink or the OZ?

Ah, the white "stuff"...we bought that once because it was cheaper. In this case, we got what we paid for. Super crumbly and difficult to make intricate cuts on. One thing that we found did help when finer carving had to happen was putting it in the freezer for a few minutes to firm it up. It helped stop the crumble, somewhat.

L&S
Sep 3, 2013 9:07am
Thread
tried the technique of cutting along the edge of a line and then making an angled cut next to it to remove the material but I really can't see the first line I cut...it just seems to seal back up..

The secret there is to be carving orange PZ Kut. The translucent orange color lights up like a light bulb when it's sliced. The good pink stuff does, too, to a much smaller but still workable extent.

..which made it impossible for me to cut an angled line next to it.

Well, as a knife carver of considerable experience, allow me to confess that I don't do that. I make the slice along the edge of the image, and then I come back with a needle or gouge to remove the rubber. The gouge will readily follow the existing slice and dig pieces out with ease. The needle is used only to remove pieces that are too narrow for a gouge to fit in there.
Reply to: #802209 by nosox
Sep 3, 2013 9:32am
Thread
Awesome!!! Thanks for the video. It was amazing and helps a lot.