A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Geocaching and Other Stashing Games

Re: 2018 Spring Souvenirs: Planetary Pursuit
Board: Geocaching and Other Stashing Games
Reply to: #958150 by RobFam
Mar 20, 2018 7:24am
Thread
Sweet. I saw you had already started. I’m going to try and get caching soon. I wanted to see if the bug(s) got fixed before starting the event.

@Oberon...when are you going to try the 100 cache in a day challenge?

Good luck to you both.

Take care,

ODS
Reply to: #958156 by Outdoorsoccer
Mar 20, 2018 1:16pm
Thread
Oberon...when are you going to try the 100 cache in a day challenge?

The person I'm going with is currently in California. He'll be back for the final weekend of the challenge period. That's when we'll do it.

I could try it earlier, but it is much funner with someone else.

If you're wondering where we'll be going, There is a power trail going north from the Golden Spike National Historic Site. If I remember correctly, there are 114 caches including a few by the freeway slightly after the trail ends.
Reply to: #958169 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 20, 2018 3:50pm
Thread
I just checked out the power trail. It looks awesome. Definitely a Good chance for you to complete the 100 cache in a day challenge and get all 500 pts for the event on one trail. Good luck.
Reply to: #958179 by Outdoorsoccer
Mar 20, 2018 6:35pm
Thread
I just checked out the power trail. It looks awesome.

Do you have any power trails near you? I'm not much into power trails because they are so much the same. However, when I need to do something like this I'll go for some power trails.

We actually have a few power trails in northern Utah, mostly down in Utah County. Even with a greater population in Salt Lake County, there are more active geocachers in Utah County. They are into plant and find counts, so they do power trails. The one I'm going for is a new power trail so my friend hasn't got it yet.

You probably have some power trails near you.
Reply to: #958180 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 21, 2018 5:04am
Thread
I have been looking at TMHCR Power Trail (starts at GC46JZ5) in West Virginia. this trail is about 100 miles from my house, looks like it takes about 4-5 hours to complete - so its a possible day trip for me. Just waiting on a partner willing to attempt 100+ caches in a day.
Reply to: #958180 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 21, 2018 6:06am
Thread
There isn’t a true power trail per se (100+ caches) close to me, but there is a geoart Trail (~40-50 caches) nearby and I found some mini themed trails (10+ caches). So hopefully I can get all the souvenirs, just might take me more than 1 day. LOL.

But you are probably right. I am sure someone had set-up a true power trail somewhere in my neck of the woods. My kids tend to like trading swag, so most of our finds lean towards those LnL or ammo can type cobtainers.
Reply to: #958182 by RobFam
Mar 21, 2018 6:15am
Thread
I checked out the TMHCR Trail. It looks pretty neat too. Definitely closer to me than Utah. LOL. I like the set-up. I read the description for the first cache (and its connection to the other caches). Wow..talk about the time and effort to create it, let alone to maintain it. I like how they say it should take 4-5 hours. I didn’t read the logs, but I wonder what is the fastest time someone took to complete it.

Maybe something to put on my bucket list to try after kids are out of the house.

Thanks for letting me know about it.
Reply to: #958169 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 8, 2018 6:04am
Thread
Hi Oberon,

Were you able to do the 100 caches in a day challenge? If so how did it go?

Take care,

Outdoorsoccer
Reply to: #958867 by Outdoorsoccer
Apr 8, 2018 4:54pm
Thread
Were you able to do the 100 caches in a day challenge? If so how did it go?

We got started later than we should have. We only got about 80. We'll have to start about 8:00 in the morning. Also, the rain we had on Saturday didn't help.

I'm going to be logging them soon so I don't know exactly how many I got, but I did get enough to get the the Pluto souvenir.
Reply to: #958879 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 9, 2018 5:09am
Thread
80 in a day is still an awesome accomplishment.

Geocaching HQ has extended the pursuit; there is still another week left on the challenge... just incase you need it.
Reply to: #958886 by RobFam
Apr 9, 2018 6:31am
Thread
That is good news, that the time was extended. I did get 82 after all. I needed 79, but one of those I found (a virtual that is a veterans memorial at Camp Williams) was 15 points. Point-wise, I have 85 caches. I have 526 points now. I actually passed someone in my friend league, which I didn't expect.

I hope you were able to get the points you needed.
Reply to: #958879 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 9, 2018 7:07am
Thread
Hi Oberon,

Congrats on getting 80+ caches in a day! That is a pretty good number of finds on any caching day. How was it mentally and physically to attempt something like this? Do you want (need) to take a break from caching to recharge?

Glad to hear you got all the souvenirs. I was able to get most of my points from a geoart Trail. Pretty fun. We had rain on Saturday too so it would have been tough to finish in the allotted time if I needed to cache this weekend. Luckily I finished ahead of time.

Wonder what the next souvenirs will be?

Take care,

ODS
Reply to: #958886 by RobFam
Apr 9, 2018 7:09am
Thread
Robfam

Do you know why they extend the event period? Thee were some glitches, but nothing I thought would warrant an extension? Maybe the increase in geocaching activity prompted them to extend the event?

Take care,

ODS
Reply to: #958891 by Outdoorsoccer
Apr 9, 2018 7:38am
Thread
ODS,
Yep. They said that they are giving extra time because of the glitches:

From the official #geocaching blog... Due to the technical problems in the last weeks, we all have an additional week for the #planetarypursuit
Reply to: #958890 by Outdoorsoccer
Apr 9, 2018 7:22pm
Thread
Congrats on getting 80+ caches in a day! That is a pretty good number of finds on any caching day. How was it mentally and physically to attempt something like this? Do you want (need) to take a break from caching to recharge?

Physically, I had more difficulty getting back into the car than getting out. The rain was off and on, and the road was paved, but the caches were out where the ground was wet so I picked up mud on my shoes.

Glad to hear you got all the souvenirs. I was able to get most of my points from a geoart Trail.

So, will you be able to get all of the souvenirs with the extension?
Reply to: #958909 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 10, 2018 11:21am
Thread
Hi Oberon,

I managed to get all the souvenirs with plenty of time to spare. I was worried that the weather might turn bad if I waited until the last minute to try and finish up. I just grabbed caches whenever I could to help me get to the magic number of 500. A few trackables placed here and there helped too.

This is/was a pretty fun event. Wonder what the summer promo will be.

Did you sign-up for the Halo-top TB promo?

Take care,

ODS
Reply to: #958919 by Outdoorsoccer
Apr 10, 2018 6:37pm
Thread
Did you sign-up for the Halo-top TB promo?

I signed up for that one recently.
HOW GEOCACHING IS LITERALLY SAVING OUR SUMMER
Jun 28, 2018 8:11pm
Vergissmeinnicht – Geocache of the Week
Jul 11, 2018 9:04pm
Thread
Vergissmeinnicht – Geocache of the Week

This is such a super-neat idea for a geocache that I thought I'd post it for everyone to enjoy, but I figure that an administrator would kick it to this group anyway, so I figured I'd just post it here. It is just too bad that most letterboxers won't read about this geocache.

It is basically an escape room that is required to log the cache find. "It has accumulated over 1100 Favorite points and is so popular that a reservation is required. Currently, there are no open spots until summer 2020."

Between the moose and the turtle, they should be able to put together something like this for letterboxers.
Re: Vergissmeinnicht – Geocache of the Week
Reply to: #962381 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 12, 2018 1:52am
Thread
Think there are some Happy Meal toys in there for trade items?
New York City, Geocachers’ Paradise
Sep 2, 2018 9:29pm
New York City, Geocachers’ Paradise is and article in the NY Times about geocaching. Nothing new, just some positive news.
Yerington Letterboxes
Sep 12, 2018 7:50pm
Thread
Yesterday I talked to a geocacher who (with a group) found about 700 of these letterboxes near Yerington, Nevada. Yes, I filtered it to show only letterboxes. I didn't count how many there are on that map, but those can't all be hand-carved stamps. In fact, probably very few of them are.

I've done 105 geocaches in a day (early in this summer), and that was a long day. It would be even longer exchanging stamps too. If I were to do all of those letterboxes it would take me a significant part of a month.
Re: Yerington Letterboxes
Reply to: #965256 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 13, 2018 2:00am
Thread
Are these the infamous "hybrids"? Geocachers think you can add a store-bought rubber stamp to a geocache and call it a letterbox. Finders typically use the stamp in the geocache to stamp into the cache log book, resulting in a log book full of identical stamp images. Then they wonder why anyone bothers with letterboxing. Many of these people have no idea that letterboxing.org or atlasquest.com exist.

What you seem to have found is the trend of creating a geocache trail by planting a micro every 1/10 mile along a route. I have no idea why anyone would bother, but apparently some geocachers think this is fun. And apparently this planter has tossed in a suitcase full of store-bought rubber stamps to make them hybrids. Frankly, I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that a lot of the stamps are duplicates. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if all 700 were the *same* store-bought stamp.
Reply to: #965263 by Kirbert
Sep 13, 2018 3:07am
Thread
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if all 700 were the *same* store-bought stamp.

oh please, let it be the Michael's puppy paw. I only have about seven of those in my log book. I need more!
Sep 13, 2018 6:39am
Thread
Finders typically use the stamp in the geocache to stamp into the cache log book, resulting in a log book full of identical stamp images.

At least around here (northern Utah) the geocachers don't do this. They know just sign the log (as they should), or use their personal stamp. I've tried to bring those with personal stamps I've tried to bring into letterboxing, but they aren't interested.

These stamps are all custom made, even the cacher whose mother is a letterboxer (who I also know). This cacher has planted some letterbox-hybrids with stamps that his mother carved, including some of the Utah Geotour boxes.

What you seem to have found is the trend of creating a geocache trail by planting a micro every 1/10 mile along a route. I have no idea why anyone would bother, but apparently some geocachers think this is fun.

It's about the numbers, both planting and finding. I used a "power trail" to get my 100-in-a-day challenge completed. I don't usually do that many, but I needed the numbers for a challenge cache. About 20% of those were regular side too.

But short of working for that challenge I've done 24 (I think) in a day. I was in southern Utah with a group getting some first-to-finds. That much was fun with that group, and it wasn't a power trail but were scattered across several miles.
Reply to: #965264 by Grrly Girl
Sep 13, 2018 1:41pm
Thread
oh please, let it be the Michael's puppy paw. I only have about seven of those in my log book. I need more!

Or a frog or a Disney stamp or a fairy or a butterfly. God knows we can always use yet more of these.
Sep 13, 2018 1:42pm
Thread
those can't all be hand-carved stamps.

ya think?
Sep 13, 2018 1:45pm
Thread
but apparently some geocachers think this is fun.

Which is why I hope they stick to geocaching.
Sep 15, 2018 5:37am
Thread
From the pictures that I saw when I looked at a couple of listings, the containers appear to be recycled pill bottles and the stamps were happy faces, hearts, clovers, and other simple store bought stuff that would fit into a pill bottle.

I can't imagine driving one of these power trails, stopping and starting a car every tenth of a mile. I'd could understand walking a (much shorter) power trail like this, but getting in and out of the car a couple hundred times would be as monotonous as the repetitive caches.
Reply to: #965356 by Maphead Mike
Sep 15, 2018 12:08pm
Thread
[...] but getting in and out of the car a couple hundred times would be as monotonous as the repetitive caches.

That's why I only did it once, to get my 100-caches-in-a-day challenge. If I didn't have to do that I'd probably only get 25 or so in a day. That's about when we didn't both get out of the car to get the caches.

However, the cachers who went and got these (that I showed) are die-hard cachers. The go for numbers. They have 34,017 and 28,602 finds. I have about 1/10th of that and have been caching for about 5 years more than them. They like it so they should go for it.

I have a separate logbook for geocaching letterboxes.