A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Traditional Letterboxes

Re: How to search
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #980106 by KatieKat
Oct 6, 2019 1:58pm
Thread
How can I search for drive-bys along that route?

Under Toolbox is Trip Planner, but I found nothing when I did a search for I-95 as a non-premium member. As a premium member I can create routes and search for boxes along them, but I can only share with other premium members.
Reply to: #980108 by Wronghat
Oct 6, 2019 2:13pm
Thread
Hold on. More searching revealed this. https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?tripId=2
Re: Containers
Reply to: #980107 by Broncolvr
Oct 6, 2019 2:20pm
Thread
Thanks for the suggestion. It appears that you are brand new to the hobby, so welcome! With a bit more experience, you will find that most letterboxers are careful to use containers that protect their hard work, but occasionally things happen to the best of them.

Be sure to check out the "about" section on the home page, which will tell you everything about the best practices and etiquette of letterboxing, to get you off to the best start. Enjoy.
Reply to: #980109 by Wronghat
Oct 6, 2019 2:23pm
Thread
I typed "From Boston, MA to Miami, Fl Along Interstate 95" into the location field of the Advanced Search menu. Then I selected "1 Mile" for the distance and "Active" boxes only. This resulted in 221 boxes along the route.
Reply to: #980111 by PI Joe
Oct 6, 2019 2:33pm
Thread
Hmmm-I've having trouble using Trip Planner search. If I put in Interstate 95 I get no such trip. If I just put in a capital I, I get a long list of Interstates, including Interstate 95. I also vaguely remember a list of all the public routes available for non-premium players but I can't find that. I find a list of new trips but not the whole shebang like I remember.
Oct 6, 2019 2:42pm
Thread
You will learn that even the best containers are not guaranteed waterproof for many reasons. Sadly, human error comes into play often--folks don't always reseal the container properly or the container gets overstuffed because of a HH and doesn't seal tightly.

Do what you can to prevent or repair the issue (such as carrying replacement pouches, logbooks, etc.), indicate first aid is needed if you record your find and let the planter know the issue.

This hobby (obsession) works best if we all help each other.

Hope you are enjoying your hunts!
Oct 6, 2019 2:51pm
Thread
Wow
Oct 6, 2019 3:01pm
Thread
PI Joe I modified your search to the states I would be driving through and got 5 results, but none were along the interstate. I was really hoping a least a few would be at rest stops.
Oct 6, 2019 3:22pm
Thread
Oct 6, 2019 3:47pm
Thread
I have made that trip from CT to FL a few times and find the searches for rest area boxes on I-95 very time consuming and sometimes frustrating. Seems that with every different search, different ones come up....
You're welcome to look at my "finds" and you'll see a few in April and August of this year.
I've even resorted to checking the I-95 website to see what towns the rest areas are in, and then searching on AQ.
(Some are northbound, some are southbound, so watch for that!)
Good luck,
sojourner
Oct 6, 2019 4:28pm
Thread
I like to double bag my logbook with ziplocks type baggies. A little added protection goes a long way. Once I found a box with 2” of water, but since the logbook was double bagged, it wasn’t even damp! Get decent thickness baggies. Some baggies are so thin that putting a logbook in it can puncture it.
I’ve found nice ones online designated “4 mil” thickness, and some from a Japanese Dollar store designated .08 mm thick.

I test my boxes for water tightness by filling them with marbles and submerging it for a few hours. I usually use Lock n Locks, but if you can’t find them locally in your area, they might be a bit pricey on-line, so try& test what you have in your area.

Good luck, and welcome to the hobby!
Reply to: #980119 by JampersandJ
Oct 6, 2019 4:33pm
Thread
I like to double bag my logbook with ziplocks type baggies. A little added protection goes a long way. Once I found a box with 2” of water, but since the logbook was double bagged, it wasn’t even damp!

I once found a letterbox next to the Weber River in an area that floods during the spring. It was under a rock so it stayed where it was put. When I found it there was ½" of water in the box. Since the log book was double bagged, it and the stamp were dry. I made sure to make sure that the bags were sealed once I was done with it.
Reply to: #980118 by sojourner
Oct 6, 2019 5:35pm
Thread
I have always just put in towns and cities that I will be passing through along a route and the shortest distance, 5 miles. That has always worked well for for me. Then just look at the drive-bys. I've done that going south and north on I95 and across the country and back. Works great.
Reply to: #980120 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 7, 2019 2:43am
Thread
Throwing in my 2 cents, when bagging contents I never mess around with "sandwich" (thin) zipper seal baggies... always "freezer" grade. The extra pennies are well worth it.
Reply to: #980121 by MissMoon
Oct 7, 2019 3:37am
Thread
I appreciate all your suggestions. And am using them. We may stop over in Delaware and North Carolina to do some "boxing". Thanks to all.
Reply to: #980126 by Lampwick
Oct 7, 2019 9:53am
Thread
I never mess around with "sandwich" (thin) zipper seal baggies... always "freezer" grade.

I'm au naturel
If I plant in the fell!

Said Barnacle Bill the Sailor

But I'll wrap my log
If hid in a bog

'Cause ya gotta be sure
When in the moor

New Tracker! Day of Decades 2020
Oct 11, 2019 9:26am
Please consider carving or donating a stamp to our upcoming event! To be held in North Alabama in the spring of 2020! Exact location and date TBA.
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10329
Re: Guardrail box
Reply to: #979739 by Worlds Wolf
Oct 14, 2019 7:52am
Thread
i have not found a whole lot of guardrail boxes, looked for 6 that i can think of, so i might not be the best person to chime in. on that note, half of what i searched for weren't there. yesterday while looking for one we scared a mouse building a nest where we are 99% sure the box was supposed to be. most of the time i find wasp nests. so i am not that wild about guardrail boxes.

smile
Reply to: #980267 by uneksia
Oct 14, 2019 11:35am
Thread
most of the time i find wasp nests. so i am not that wild about guardrail boxes.

Ya just reminded me ... I do like burning feet guardrail boxes. Guaranteed no wasps! ;-)
Reply to: #980278 by roo
Oct 14, 2019 12:55pm
Thread
I do like burning feet guardrail boxes. Guaranteed no wasps!

What is a "burning feet guardrail box"?
Reply to: #980282 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 14, 2019 3:29pm
Thread
What is a "burning feet guardrail box"?

i was wondering the same thing, figured maybe another letterboxer. sure enough burning feet is a letterboxer in connecticut.

smile
Reply to: #980278 by roo
Oct 14, 2019 3:49pm
Thread
Ya just reminded me ... I do like burning feet guardrail boxes. Guaranteed no wasps! ;-)

Bet ya never tried one of mine!
Reply to: #980285 by Stung Hands
Oct 15, 2019 2:50am
Thread
Bet ya never tried one of mine!

Care to share?
Reply to: #972856 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 15, 2019 3:43am
Thread
I'm considering hiding a letterbox in a guardrail. Any suggestions for a container?

Plant that box yet?
Reply to: #980295 by MissMoon
Oct 15, 2019 6:18am
Thread
Not yet.
Reply to: #980284 by uneksia
Oct 15, 2019 7:30am
Thread
You would just have to experience a burning feet guardrail box. There are no words to describe. Scratch that... there are words to describe but that would take the fun out of it!

BB
Reply to: #980300 by Bungalow Boxer
Oct 16, 2019 5:12pm
Thread
I found one of those Guardrail Boxes on the side of the Long Island Expressway and two up in parking lots at SUNY Albany once.

Jaxx
Pow Wow box in Nasville
Oct 20, 2019 5:48am
https://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=310422
🛶🌲🥁🛶🌲🥁🛶🌲🥁🛶🌲🥁🛶🌲🥁
I'm posting this here in case anybody is in the Nashville area and is going to the last day of the powwow today. I planted this as my birthday plant yesterday. My birthday has been at the pow wow 3 years in a row.
They carve is from an old shuswap lake dancer from exactly 50 years ago. (Not Nashville, though.

🛶🌲🥁🛶🌲🥁🛶🌲🥁🛶🌲🥁🛶🌲🥁
Reply to: #980367 by Jaxx
Oct 26, 2019 8:36am
Thread
burning feet's guardrail box is not typical.

BB
Some people get it.
Nov 10, 2019 10:09am
Got this message today.
Hi. I'm a waterfire volunteer and today we stumbled upon Volant while disassembling parts in the basin for the winter. We actually thought someone had hidden it within or attached to the pieces we were removing, but that seems unlikely now that I see it has been there 3 years. It was actually my co-worker who found it so all I know is that it was at approximately 11 o'clock from the tunnel as indicated in the clue, somewhere near the railing, but I have no idea what any of those additional clue words mean or where it might have originally been. I stashed it under the nearby stairs for the time being, but if it's proper hiding place is still valid I'd love to get it back there. The stamp is so nice, I don't want it to go missing! It looks like you're not local, but if you can describe to me precisely where it was supposed to be I can try to get it back in place. I also contacted the most recent finder who seems local, so if you can't remember then hopefully she will!

Ain't that cool.