A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Traditional Letterboxes

Re: Found a pair of glasses
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #91632 by Crazyolis
May 14, 2007 10:07pm
Thread
Quote They are oval shaped, wire rimmed, pinkish toned womans glasses.

I think I found the same pair in a Kohl's dressing room last week. Small world.

DM
Re: Think About Safety!
Reply to: #92078 by Doc's Menagerie
May 15, 2007 4:07am
Thread
along the same line, a diaper filled w/root beer does the same thing. It was on a suggestion list for WDW - how to keep people from stealing your stroller :o)
Reply to: #92078 by Doc's Menagerie
May 15, 2007 8:13am
Thread
Quote How's this one for a deterent? I have a purse/diaper bag that goes with me a lot and this is a sick mom mind for you. Do a dirty diaper mock up, with smeared chocolate frosting or raisins in it. Then just leave it sitting open on the front seat. I'd steer clear of that by a mile!

I love this! Pick the right ingredients and it could make a really great car deodorizer instead of those nasty things you hang from the rearview mirror (that are illegal anyway =o)

I may have to try this =o)
Rhea
Reply to: #92115 by The Gillespie Tribe
May 15, 2007 10:48am
Thread
I love the recent deterrants!

In my former life I had the opportunity to give quite a few security talks, and one of the areas I always covered was to make sure that corporations secured their trash. Every aspect of what a company, or person does goes out in their trash. I always pushed for slicers and dicers (Shredders) and one day one of my clients happened to look in my trash can and remarked that our trash wasn't shredded. I advised that is true, but we have an office cat, and anyone willing to dig through "that" litter is welcome to it.

Don
My first plant
May 16, 2007 5:40pm
Thread
For anyone that is interested, I made my first plant available again. I planted it in a slightly different location and redid the clues so it reflects the changes.

When I was a new boxer, I didn't understand the ramifications of making someone cross railroad tracks. Whe I realized the err of my ways (with the help of another, wonderful boxer) I made it unavailable until I could rehide it.

So for you Western PA boxers, "No Money, Honey" is now available again. (my carbes are much better now, but I'm leaving this one out there. It is after all my first plant.)

http://www.atlasquest.com/lboxes/showboxinfo.html?gBoxId=26585

Mr. Yuk
Re: My first plant
Reply to: #92408 by Mr Yuk
May 16, 2007 5:43pm
Thread
Umm, my CARVES are much better. My carbs are probably worse. I eat a lot of potatoes.

Mr. Yuk (smashin taters)
May 16, 2007 5:44pm
Thread
Quote When I was a new boxer, I didn't understand the ramifications of making someone cross railroad tracks. Whe I realized the err of my ways (with the help of another, wonderful boxer) I made it unavailable until I could rehide it.

I give up. What's wrong with crossing railroad tracks?
Reply to: #92410 by Kirbert
May 16, 2007 5:54pm
Thread
On one of the guidelines for planting letterboxes (LBNA or letterboxing.info) it says you shouldn't plant letterboxes around liverailroad tracks (which these tracks are).

Mine is on a rails to trails section, which is perfectly fine, but I had the box on the other side of the track, and had it marked as kid friendly (which rails to trails are).

The person who conacted me was mainly concerned with kids going across the tracks. I decided to err on the side of caution and just plant it on the near side.

Just wanted to make sure everyone is safe *nodding*

Mr. Yuk
me and _______
May 16, 2007 6:10pm
Thread
Pontiac Vibe - nice little transporter

official NC license plate - issued because of rebel ancestors who fought for the confederacy
Reply to: #92414 by Mr Yuk
May 16, 2007 6:10pm
Thread
Quote On one of the guidelines for planting letterboxes (LBNA or letterboxing.info) it says you shouldn't plant letterboxes around liverailroad tracks...

Utter nonsense. There are only two ways a person will ever get hit by a train: 1) He is drunk or stoned to the verge of unconsciousness; or 2) he's trying to commit suicide.

Even a deaf person can tell when a train is coming in plenty of time to get out of the way. Go ahead, try it! Find an active train track and stand a few feet away where you'll be safe. It's absurdly easy to be safe, trains have to fit through tunnels, the only way they'll hit you when you're more than six feet away or so from the rails is by jumping the track. Stand facing away from the way the train is coming and see if there's any way it could possibly catch you by surprise. Go ahead and wear earphones playing loud music if you want.

Concerns for accidentally getting hit by a train are sheer fantasy. The chances of getting hit by a car anywhere near a road -- crossing it or not -- are 1000x greater. Do the guidelines tell us not to plant letterboxes anywhere near a road?
Reply to: #92420 by Kirbert
May 16, 2007 6:14pm
Thread
Kirbert,

I happen to agree with you. Aren't there some cases, though, of people's feet getting stuck under train tracks? No matter, I just want to make the box appealing for everyone, and who am I to challenge long-standing letterbox conventions.

Mr. Yuk
Reply to: #92422 by Mr Yuk
May 16, 2007 6:28pm
Thread
Quote Aren't there some cases, though, of people's feet getting stuck under train tracks?

Go ahead, try that, too! You can try that one on an inactive track.

Quote No matter, I just want to make the box appealing for everyone, and who am I to challenge long-standing letterbox conventions.

You are a rational human being with an obligation to speak out against silly nonsense.
Reply to: #92426 by Kirbert
May 16, 2007 6:43pm
Thread
Hehe.

Eh, I learned long ago to choose my battles. I didn't think this one was worth fighting. I'm pretty outspoken as it is, I don't want to upset the apple-cart.

Mr. Yuk
Reply to: #92420 by Kirbert
May 16, 2007 7:10pm
Thread
I actually agree that, in the majority of cases, you should be safe to have directions to cross railroad tracks to get a box. However, along railroad tracks in the mountains, the echos and curves can actually play tricks with your ears as far as hearing the trains coming. I got surprised last year on a boxing expedition. If there are no crossings, they won't be blowing the whistles and, while you can feel the rumble in the ground, this train was fairly close before I felt it.

There is also the fact that most railroad easements are private property belonging to the railroad companies. Around here most are posted for no trespassing. Railroads being railroads, I would imagine that the presence of mysterious boxes in the vicinity of active tracks might be a cause of concern for certain "watchful" types.

Just a couple of other points to consider, but in essence I agree with you guys.

Knit Wit
Reply to: #92422 by Mr Yuk
May 16, 2007 7:26pm
Thread
I just want to make the box appealing for everyone, and who am I to challenge long-standing letterbox conventions.

I never heard of that long-standing tradition myself, but as long as it's a legal, public route that people can follow, I don't see any reason you can't make people cross the railroad tracks. =)

The same precautions one should take while crossing the street (i.e. look both ways before crossing) are just as applicable to train tracks as otherwise. You shouldn't make people walk ON a railroad track, though. Railroads frown on that sort of thing, and not all of the contraptions found on train tracks are loud trains you can hear a long ways away. The machinery they do track work with is often very quiet, and those trucks they can drive onto railroad tracks are positively impossible to hear until they're two feet behind you.

In any case, there's nothing wrong with making people cross the railroad tracks as long as it's a public, legal route that people can follow. =)

-- Ryan
May 16, 2007 7:53pm
Thread
Good call.

Trains kill.
http://www.oli.org/education_resources/safety_tips.htm

Hey, just ask David Allan Coe, right?

As for guidelines not mentioning planting near roads, if they don't recommend against that, they should. I am a firm believer in the seven Ps.
Reply to: #92442 by Green Tortuga
May 16, 2007 7:55pm
Thread
there is a box that makes people walk across a river in NH.
this river is never tame enough to cross safely.
only if you have excellent balance, could you get there without falling in!
and to risk getting all your letterboxing stuff wet.
logbook and all!
plus, i would feel horrible if someone drown finding a box crossing a river!

david (team new hampshire)
http://teamnewhampshire.blogspot.com
Reply to: #92443 by Otis' Friends
May 16, 2007 8:03pm
Thread
Oh definitely. That's the reason I'm saying I changed my clues. My mama got runned over by a damned ole train. That's the reason. I even did a box on the man. I should have thought of this sooner.

Thanks Otis Friends.

Mr. Yuk (sometimes, it seems so useless to remain)
Reply to: #92443 by Otis' Friends
May 16, 2007 8:07pm
Thread
Quote Hey, just ask David Allan Coe, right?

"I was drunk, the day my maw got out of prison...."

LOL - I hadn't thought about that one in a long time!!!! An oldie, but definately a goodie!!

Mama Fox
Re: me and _______
Reply to: #92419 by Dixie
May 16, 2007 10:39pm
Thread
Dixie, did I miss something? Did you get a new car?

Shiloh
Puzzles
May 16, 2007 11:25pm
Thread
Hi Folks,
I'm trying to solve the puzzle in a letterbox clue (it's a Der Mad Stamper one) and having trouble with it. At first it seems like a straigt-forward 3gg6=eggs type puzzle but aparantly not. I'm not a puzzle whiz, obviously, or I wouldn't be asking this...

How do I go about solving this type of clue. Are there puzzle solving sites I can go to for help? (not wanting to post the clue anywhere, of course, just need some tips on how to proceed) I'd like to try solving it myself, so I'm looking for ways to research and work through it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Doc's Menagerie
Reply to: #92442 by Green Tortuga
May 17, 2007 9:36am
Thread
Quote In any case, there's nothing wrong with making people cross the railroad tracks as long as it's a public, legal route that people can follow. =)

-- Ryan

I too see no problem with CROSSING RR tracks, but their could be a problem with walking along RR tracks particularly if it entailed walking on a RR bridge with no place to go.

Don
Re: Puzzles
Reply to: #92471 by Doc's Menagerie
May 17, 2007 10:42am
Thread
I've solved several of Der Mad Stamper's diabolical but totally satisfying puzzles and, while I wouldn't just give you the clue, might be able to assist. What's the name of the box?

~~Doublesaj~~
Reply to: #92541 by Don and Gwen
May 17, 2007 11:03am
Thread
Quote I too see no problem with CROSSING RR tracks, but their could be a problem with walking along RR tracks particularly if it entailed walking on a RR bridge with no place to go.

Or a tunnel. A tunnel is actually worse than a bridge; you can jump off a bridge. Any letterbox clues that require traversing an active railroad bridge or tunnel would probably be a bad idea.

Doesn't extend to regular tracks, though. You can usually walk alongside tracks with no problem, or even on them if you keep an eye out for trains. It's easy to get off and out of the way if a train comes.
Eat at Murphs
May 19, 2007 11:30am
Just to let you know I have pulled my "Eat At Murphs" Letterbox today.
I need to find a new hiding spot. I have one in mind but I will not be able to put the box out for two weeks from today. Because I am Leaving for North Carolina on Wednesday and I will not be back until Teusday of the following week. I will try my best to get the box replanted as soon as I can when I get back in to town.

Thanks to all
automan01440
going nut (gardner city forest)
May 20, 2007 10:19am
Thread
Shoebee and the Ferg went to check their boxes today and one was in the trash and the place where it was supposed to be had wierd clothes hidden there instead. Now the Ferg is afraid to plant their other box they were going to plant today. Some people are so rude!
-HG
Re: going nut (gardner city forest)
Reply to: #93158 by HG's Crew
May 20, 2007 6:32pm
Thread
Weird clothes? like a homeless person's stash? At least they were able to rescue the box from the trash.
Stuck for a title
May 22, 2007 9:59pm
Thread
I have a LB ready to go, that has to be mailed to my m-i-l tomorrow. And I don't know what to call it!

Anyone else get stuck on this?

CrowGirl

P.S. If you have any dino/montana-esq names to share, let 'em rip!
Re: Stuck for a title
Reply to: #93708 by dorks anonymous
May 22, 2007 10:39pm
Thread
Dinosaurs and Montana? How about "Big Lizard Country"?
Re: Stuck for a title
Reply to: #93708 by dorks anonymous
May 22, 2007 10:46pm
Thread
Quote If you have any dino/montana-esq names to share, let 'em rip!

Got any more info? The more words/info you give us, the more bad ideas we can generate!

For your MIL? "Mom-tana"
Where in Montana? "Helena Handbasket", or "Butte and the Beast", or "Top Billings"
Dinosaurs? "A 'Saur Subject", or "Dino-mite", or "Someone's in Missoula with Dino"

Gimme more to work with here! :)

-wassamatta_u