A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Traditional Letterboxes

Re: Surprise in the woods
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #856363 by Sunia
Jul 5, 2014 4:02pm
Thread
Have most people accidentally met another boxer in the woods, boxing?

The only time that I met a boxer "in the wild" was at a park next to the city building. We were both going for first-finder on a new box, but I got there first. I was stamping in (away from the hiding location) when she came up with her baby in a stroller. To a letterboxer it was obvious what I was doing so we exchanged stamps.

However, I was planting a letterbox once when I spotted Boxer Lover 47's SUV in the parking lot. I was planting near enough to the main trail that I could see anyone passing, but she must have taken the alternative trail back. I'd exchanged with her before but it was a near miss to my second encounter "in the wild".

All of my other exchanges have been at events.
Jul 5, 2014 4:24pm
Thread

Yep, in the woods on quite a few occasions, and once in downtown Boston. If I see people walking around with what I think are clues, I always ask if they're letterboxing. I think I've been wrong only once. It's really cool when this happens and the people say that they've never met another letterboxer before! :^)

BTW, I've tried "Which way is north?" a couple of times, but it's never worked for me.
Jul 5, 2014 5:10pm
Thread
Very early in my 'boxing, I was coming out of a park after having finished a series when I met a hiker entering the park. There was something about her that made me wonder, maybe it was her day pack. We greeted each other and I asked, "Do you have ink on your fingers?" She laughed. Yes! We exchanged. To this day I cherish that exchange, my first! And I cherish her as a friend!
Jul 5, 2014 6:36pm
Thread
I've been fortunate to have met up with other letterboxers on the trail four times. Three times we were looking for the same box/series and once someone who'd just pulled into a parking lot after me recognized me as being a boxer because she saw clue sheets on the seat of my car. She was there walking her dog and I set out to look for a series. I get so excited and flustered when I meet other boxers on the trail!
Box that can only be found by search terms?
Jul 5, 2014 8:56pm
Thread
Another question on the intricacies of listing letterboxes!

Is there a way to list a box so that it doesn't show up on a location search OR in my list of plants, but that can only be found by searching for the right title? I don't want this to be a mystery box where the location is a mystery--I want it to be a box with normal clues that aren't too hard to follow, but you don't even know it exists unless you can figure out the name and type it into the search bar.

For context, this would be part of a series of boxes planted in different locations in the same area. The other nine boxes would be listed normally and their names form an obvious sequence. But one phrase in the sequence is missing, and you can't click on my list of carves or plants to find it. If you realize that one phrase is missing and search for a box with that title, you'll find the listing for the box as well as the clues.

Anyone know of a way to accomplish this?
Jul 5, 2014 9:20pm
Thread
There was a series planted on a rail trail up in PA--a Letterboxer's 12 Days of Christmas series, with the logbook in the last box which was very near the parking lot. I was sitting in the car stamping in when suddenly somebody started banging on my window. I looked up & here was this strange woman in a hat peering in....

It was MizScarlet who had come by to check on her box. :D
Reply to: #856375 by Early Risers
Jul 5, 2014 10:04pm
Thread
Its interesting that cemetery workers like to box. But how did you know that? Did it come up in casual conversation?
Reply to: #856380 by crosscresent
Jul 5, 2014 10:05pm
Thread
I didn't even think to exchange stamps right then and there!
Reply to: #856386 by Rocklun
Jul 5, 2014 10:09pm
Thread
I have asked several times, but usually they are Geocachers and don't know what I am talking about.

Where did this Which way is north come from?
Reply to: #856390 by R
Jul 5, 2014 10:10pm
Thread
That's a great question! Do you have ink on your fingers?
Reply to: #856413 by Early Risers
Jul 5, 2014 10:13pm
Thread
Thats a very odd prank. It required some effort.
Re: Box that can only be found by search terms?
Reply to: #856430 by Intrinsically Knotted
Jul 5, 2014 10:14pm
Thread
Is there a way to list a box so that it doesn't show up on a location search OR in my list of plants, but that can only be found by searching for the right title?

I don't know about the second criteria, but the first one is easy: Create a letterbox with no location. It shows up with a location of "Planet Earth", but that is nowhere near anywhere.

You can do the second criteria, sort of, by creating a dependency. When you plant the box you can make it so that you can only search for it by name. However, to do this you need to make it dependent on another box. When you get to the "Restrictions" page you enter the AQ# of the box (parent box) that needs to be logged as found before someone can even search for the dependent box. If the parent box is part of a series then you need to enter the number, save your edits then go back and choose which box in the series it should be dependent on.

The second way also isn't perfect. When someone looks at how many boxes you've planted they will see one number. Then when they look at the list of boxes that you've planted they will see a lower number. They will know how many bonus boxes you've planted, but not what boxes they're dependent upon. A way around that would be to hide all of your bonus boxes under an alias, or hide your logbook.

I don't know how to do both things that you want to do, but maybe someone else has a way.
Jul 6, 2014 6:47am
Thread
I've met several other 'boxers on the trails over the years. The most fun was the time I was retrieving a new 'box that was just planted near my home.

As I was stamping in and reading the log on the tailgate of my then truck, a car pulled up and parked in front of me. A lone, very focused woman jumped out, and went straight to the hidey-hole. Wanda (of wandaandpete) sure looked puzzled when she came up empty-handed, and VERY surprised when I asked her if she were looking for "this?": as I held up the 'box! We shared a chuckle while stamping in. :-D

Connfederate
Jul 6, 2014 7:27am
Thread
Is there a way to list a box so that it doesn't show up on a location search OR in my list of plants

I see this and I read, "Is there a way to list a box so that it isn't listed?"

But to answer your question.... no. You'd have to restrict the box so it won't show up in your list of plants, and you'd have to not include a location so it won't show up in a location search.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #856439 by Sunia
Jul 6, 2014 8:12am
Thread
Where did this Which way is north come from?

I believe it was suggested by Cape Cod Letterboxer.

They even created a "hitchhiking traveler" (North is Up!) using that as the code phrase.
Reply to: #856460 by Green Tortuga
Jul 6, 2014 9:25am
Thread
Is there a way to list a box so that it doesn't show up on a location search OR in my list of plants

I see this and I read, "Is there a way to list a box so that it isn't listed?"

But to answer your question.... no. You'd have to restrict the box so it won't show up in your list of plants, and you'd have to not include a location so it won't show up in a location search.

How about making it a dependency of another box?
Jul 6, 2014 11:08am
Thread
My brain hurts.
Jul 6, 2014 1:00pm
Thread

I have only came across another letterboxer once - Beach Wanderers.
The funny part about it was that I was taking a friend for the first time boxing and
as we are driving to the park where the boxes where located I told her "I tend to
think everyone wearing a backpack or carrying a piece of paper is a letter boxer, so
bear w/ me" And as we are laughing, getting out stuff out of the car, checking
to make sure we have everything before we started on the trail, we see another
vehicle pull up and a couple hops out and opens up a binder on the back of their
truck full of printed clues. I frantically start mumbling to my friend "I think they are letterboxers!
I think they are letterboxers!"
She looked at me like Oh Yeah? w/ disbelief Come to find out for ONCE, I was right!
I asked "Are those clues?" and they stared up at me and smiled - which I was glad because I have
heard of many people who just cannot help themselves but be jerks. And they said yes! We boxed
w/ them for a little bit and exchanged stamps afterwards. On the way home I turned to my
friend and said "Trust me that does not happen very often!" It was awesome!
Reply to: #856394 by SpyCat
Jul 6, 2014 1:03pm
Thread
Happened just today to me....Thanks Classy Cat Lady and Beach Girl.
Jul 6, 2014 1:09pm
Thread
Unless having the box counted as a plant for you & find for them is of major importance to you, just don't list the box at all. Put your riddle/question/whatever out there, and if they give you the correct answer, you give them the clue to the unlisted box. Problem solved!!
Jul 6, 2014 1:32pm
Thread
WHY would you want to do that?
Just don't get the point.
Reply to: #856505 by crosscresent
Jul 6, 2014 3:10pm
Thread
I'm right there with ya, cc!!

~tigs
Reply to: #856460 by Green Tortuga
Jul 6, 2014 5:03pm
Thread
Isn't this what the bonus box did, before the dependency thing?
Jul 7, 2014 12:50pm
Thread

I spent some time thinking about who I've unexpectedly encountered on the trails over the years. Some of the people I already knew.

• Nairon, once in MA and once in CT
  • Wanda and Pete, in MA, while we were both trying to be first finders for a box
  • Scout and Magnolia Bud, at the trailhead for a hike in NY, which we all ended up doing together
  • DC Stones and I made contact after seeing (in logbooks) that we were in Sanibel at the same time
  • Dough Boy, in CT
  • figureeight, in SC
  • la tigresse, in Boston
  • marrtians, in MA, while we were both trying to be first finders for a box
  • Providence Pita, while nightboxing in RI
  • RIclimber, while we were both planting boxes in MA, though we didn't know it at the time!
  • A few other people who were out letterboxing for the first time and didn't have trail names

I'm probably forgetting some encounters, too...
Reply to: #856700 by Rocklun
Jul 7, 2014 8:37pm
Thread
A lot!
Reply to: #856782 by Sunia
Jul 8, 2014 4:32am
Thread
It probably helps that I'm not exactly shy about talking to strangers, much to my companions' chagrin... :^)
Jul 8, 2014 6:21am
Thread
I had the nice surprise of meeting one of the maartians while standing in the same line at the Boy Scout Jamboree last summer! (Yes, we did trade sig stamps then!)
Jul 8, 2014 7:08am
Thread
I met my best boxing buddy on the trail--I had mentioned on line that I was hoping to get a specific series the next day and she showed up at the trail head and introduced herself. TMD and I have been boxing together ever since! Over a decade now, lol

I have run into quite a few boxers unexpectedly, which is very neat, especially if you live in an area where boxers are especially common. I am glad you had such a nice surprise--and liberated those poor old hitch hikers!
Re: "free" little libraries
Reply to: #852765 by UraharaShoten
Jul 9, 2014 9:06pm
Thread
If you make your own Little Library.....with a secret compartment in it to hold the letterbox it would work.......
Jul 11, 2014 4:20pm
Thread
My list is a bit shorter:

* Rocklun & Southpaw, in a cemetary, trying to be FF for the same box (they beat me)
* Arf & Mim, at Purgatory. They were exiting from a series we were starting. They gave us some tips in exchange for a ride back to their cars. :)
* A random letterboxing family, in Dean Park, who has not registered on AQ.

I am also not shy about asking if people are letterboxing or geocaching. :)