Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Traditional Letterboxes

Re: Respect.... Seems to be a hard concept....
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #809574 by Lone R
Oct 25, 2013 3:40pm
Thread
Hilar!!!!!

I'm so poaching that idea.
How should I hang a box in a bush?
Oct 30, 2013 7:17am
Thread
Bad news: I found a box of mine in SHAMBLES.
Good news: I FOUND a box of mine in shambles.
Log book & both stamps are all safe on my desk, drying out, recovering from what must of been a traumatic experience, and considering letting me make some LTCs. They are so handsome. They know it. I know it. We all know it.

Anyhoo. I found a box once, on a clip hanging in a bush. So clever. But it was so tiny. I have a water tight box just chomp'n at the bit to be a letterbox. But its the size of my foot.

What is a good way to do this? Thanks for any ideas.

~cc
Re: How should I hang a box in a bush?
Reply to: #813068 by crosscresent
Oct 30, 2013 7:50am
Thread
Drop it into an appropriately sized black or green nylon mesh drawstring bag.
Oct 30, 2013 8:03am
Thread
I have a water tight box just chomp'n at the bit to be a letterbox. But its the size of my foot.

What is a good way to do this? Thanks for any ideas.

Insert so called container into your shoe, use shoelaces to tie into bush ?!
Oct 30, 2013 8:09am
Thread
Monofilamint, plastic coated, galvanized wire. Available at Home Depot or Lowes...or any Ace Hardware. Wrap, hook and hang. Bob's your uncle!

AB
Oct 30, 2013 8:11am
Thread
Hang it with wire. The finder doesn't remove the whole box, he/she just removes the lid and takes out the contents to stamp in. The clues would have to instruct the finder about this. I just found a box in Collegedale exactly like this.

OR You could wrap the container with wire and have a loop of wire sticking out. Then hang some more wire in the bush, with the wire in a hook shape. Hang the box with the loop through the hook. The finder would then "unhook" the box to stamp in.
Oct 30, 2013 8:26am
Thread
Great ideas! I need a watertight box about the size of two cigerette packs.
Reply to: #813087 by crosscresent
Oct 30, 2013 8:36am
Thread
I have been finding very inexpensive Lock-n-Lock boxes at TJ Maxx or Marshals, not sure if you have them near you or not.
Reply to: #813078 by Marty McFly
Oct 30, 2013 9:06am
Thread

Have you been planting letterboxes on telephone wires again?
Oct 30, 2013 9:11am
Thread
Plastic coffee cans that have the handle on them are easy to put a loop of wire through. And then twist off the top. Make it watertight by using Kirberts trick of cutting (shower pan liner??) Or some other type of rubber if you have any handy, cut in a circle and glued to inside of lid. I have found about 3 of his cans made like this, all dry as a bone.

Personally I prefer the type I can take the box out of the tree. It is easier for me as a letterboxer, so I can sneak off somewhere private with the whole container, rather than try to reach up in there and get things out. Although I suppose a plastic bag solves that issue. You can do this with a 2 part loop and hook idea. Make a loop that is permanently attached to the tree, and use a plant hanger comparable hook on the can. Or reverse the order, doesn't matter. Great thing is the person knows where to put it back.
Reply to: #813093 by Nature Hikers
Oct 30, 2013 9:57am
Thread

i was going to say that in our neck of the woods it means you can stand under it and wait for a drug dealer.
Oct 30, 2013 5:38pm
Thread
You can screw a small hook into the box. I have seen that done and works quite well. :)
Reply to: #813184 by SpitFire
Oct 30, 2013 6:15pm
Thread
What do you use to keep the box watertight if there's a hook screed into it? A rubber gasket or some kind of caulk?
Beware of Letterbox Karma
Oct 30, 2013 10:57pm
Thread
I took two boxes to plant in Hawaii while there on vacation last spring. One is alive and well. The other, I found a cool museum where the stamp would fit perfectly, and asked inside for permission. I was passed up the line to the administrator who was shaking her head "no" the whole time I attempted to explain letterboxing, and was showing her the stamp and logbook. She informed me in no uncertain terms that "We wouldn't be interested in anything like that"!!

Not deterred, I ultimately planted it just 'off' their property, near the farthest corner of the parking lot, where there was a perfect, huge, split-trunk tree with a big hole in the front. After chasing the resident gecko out of his hole, I carefully covered it (the box, not the gecko) with a large chunk of bark which nicely disguised the hole.

Seven months later, with no finds, I have word from a LB'er that it has apparently been muggled, as they found the tree-hole, exactly as described, but it was full of paper plates and trash, with more scattered around, apparently a party place for youth, or a druggie hang-out. They searched around to see if they could find the stamp or logbook discarded amidst the litter, but found no sign of it.

I think that must be karma coming back to me for ignoring the administrator's insistence that they didn't want it there, even though 'technically' it wasn't on their property. This box was just not destined to 'be', period!! Lesson learned.
Re: Beware of Letterbox Karma
Reply to: #813215 by Wise Wanderer
Oct 31, 2013 8:51am
Thread
I don't think the karma is on you. Ultimately I think the bad karma is on them. I get through your post that the head honcho wasn't too nice, so instead of a wonderful family oriented hobby taking place on their property it's icky punks with their filth.
Reply to: #813270 by Raven
Oct 31, 2013 9:19am
Thread
I don't think the karma is on you. Ultimately I think the bad karma is on them. I get through your post that the head honcho wasn't too nice, so instead of a wonderful family oriented hobby taking place on their property it's icky punks with their filth.

What a great new perspective you've given me!! Thanks - and it makes the box loss a bit easier to swallow!!
Reply to: #813215 by Wise Wanderer
Oct 31, 2013 10:48am
Thread
1 yr into my career I lost a lbx in what I described as an enchanted tree if I were writing a fairy tale.

Now I just recognize it as waaaaaay toooo interesting and picture litte ground level kids reaching or digging in it.

Just keep planvnting. Sorry its lost.
Reply to: #813189 by FloridaFour
Nov 1, 2013 5:55am
Thread
Yes, that would work. Silicone maybe.
Re: Moving...do you take your letterboxes?
Reply to: #810981 by crosscresent
Nov 3, 2013 5:03pm
Thread
I really like that idea. I might do that with some of mine anyway.
Alerting a finder there is a bonus box... Your style?
Nov 14, 2013 5:09pm
Thread
Just wondering what your preferred method to alert the finders of a traditional letterbox that there is a bonus box as well.

or... from a finders prospective, how do you like to be alerted?

I have seen it done many different ways: written in the front page or the last page of a logbook, written on the inside of the container itself, a loose piece of paper in a baggie, even a bonus stamp IN the logbook back cover.

I have never planted a bonus box but I am contemplating carving and planting one for an upcoming traditional.

Appreciate your input!

idlemoon
Re: Alerting a finder there is a bonus box... Your style?
Reply to: #815793 by idlemoon
Nov 14, 2013 5:28pm
Thread
I've heard that some clever soul made the carving for the traditional box be the clue to the bonus box. How cool is that.
Nov 14, 2013 6:10pm
Thread
i have seen all of the above, as well as:

- written on the back of the stamp

-written on the side of the stamp

-written in bits in each box of a series

-hidden inside the spine of the logbook

-in a different part of the box (false bottom/weird side)

-part of the clue in each box in EVERY SINGLE BOX HE'S EVER PLANTED (which is just evil and should not be copied. it just shouldn't. don't do it)

~tigs
Reply to: #815795 by Wronghat
Nov 14, 2013 9:14pm
Thread
I've done that before. Then they cut down all the trees in my image :(
Nov 14, 2013 11:07pm
Thread
I usually just do it...then leave it to folks to looks for the hidden little secret. If they stalk my logbook, usually they get a couple hints on where they might find some of my bonuses. But in the end, I rely on finders to keep looking on their own initiative.
Nov 15, 2013 5:58am
Thread
At the end of my clue I say "Please rehide everything well." When the "everything" is in italics that is a hint that there is a bonus box. Then I leave a card inside the regular box with the directions to the bonus.
Nov 15, 2013 6:18am
Thread
I've seen them all the ways that you described -- including the bonus within the bonus ;)

Having boxed in the NE, I always know to scour the logbook for bonus clues when at all possible, as that seems to be the most common way to note a bonus box. This method is so ingrained in my brain that I immediately wanted to answer your question with --- yes, of course, you'd write it somewhere in the logbook.

But I write that with a caveat....

The main problem I've noticed with writing the clues in the logbooks is that, even with our preparedness (LnLs, multiple baggies, etc) and best intentions, logbooks in the NE do become wet, soggy & moldy over time. After awhile, the books become so wet, that it's just not possible to open them or read them clearly. I know I've missed out on a few bonuses because I couldn't get to the clues in wet logbooks. It's a little sad, but the fact that the traditional box and stamp are still there and in good shape after spending years in the wild is "prize" enough.

I'm loving some of the suggestions that others have noted and may be using them for inspiration ;)

- Kham
Nov 15, 2013 6:50am
Thread
As an adjunct to this question, what methods do you find to be the most successful? I have several bonuses out there and, of the methods I have used, I would rank them thus as to successful finds:
- note taped in container lid or bottom - most finders
- note in front of log book
- business-type card designed to be taken
- note in back of log book - hardly any finders
I bet a note in the middle of the log book, among the stamp-ins would be missed a lot, too, once the clue was surrounded by logs.
What are your experiences? Do you want your bonus to be found? Or is a merely a test of the finder's observation skills? Do you ever tell a finder that they missed the bonus?
Reply to: #815865 by Boxer Lover47
Nov 15, 2013 7:11am
Thread
Or is a merely a test of the finder's observation skills?

It's not so much a test... but wouldn't finding it be less of an achievement if everyone found it?

Do you ever tell a finder that they missed the bonus?

I've sometimes hinted at one. Especially when I've owed someone a favor and I know that they are going to have access to the box.
Reply to: #815865 by Boxer Lover47
Nov 15, 2013 7:45am
Thread
It seems to me that most people don't log bonuses. I don't know if they forget, or have a hard time finding the listing once they get home, or what the deal is. If they find the original box without the bonus I usually send a message asking if they found the bonus. Then they log it. But maybe that is just in my area. We don't have many bonus boxes and the whole thing may throw people off.
Reply to: #815802 by tiggermama
Nov 15, 2013 10:23am
Thread
-part of the clue in each box in EVERY SINGLE BOX HE'S EVER PLANTED (which is just evil and should not be copied. it just shouldn't. don't do it)

That's sounds positively despicable! I would never....

K