Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Traditional Letterboxes

Re: Respect.... Seems to be a hard concept....
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #809574 by Lone R
Oct 15, 2013 11:29pm
Thread
Oh my goodness that's hilarious!
don't want listing to be seen in casual search
Oct 16, 2013 1:52am
Thread
I'm about to list a box that I didn't get permission to plant. It's planted in a regional park that's a semi "touristy" location. I went online to find out what the regulations are for letterboxing or geocaching in this park and nothing is mentioned. I want to include the street address with the clue, but the street name is the same as the park name and I'm afraid this info might cause the listing to show up in a Google search or make it more obvious if a park ranger does some sleuthing to see what boxes might be there. Is there a way to keep my listing from being discovered?
Re: don't want listing to be seen in casual search
Reply to: #810681 by SpyCat
Oct 16, 2013 3:26am
Thread
Give the box a P1 restriction. That should keep most rangers from seeing it. Although, if there are no restrictions at that park or in your state for that type of park, it should be OK.
Oct 16, 2013 3:40am
Thread
You could use a street address close enough to the park entrance to get folks to the correct location.
Then just describe the park entrance rather than naming it. ie. "turn in where you see a sign pointing to a place for recreation"
Oct 16, 2013 3:43am
Thread
You could jumble the letters in the name of the park and street, making it a simple mystery location, or spell them backwards.
Reply to: #810685 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 16, 2013 5:50am
Thread
Give the box a P1 restriction.

I guess a low find restriction would accomplish the same thing with the added benefit of keeping first time boxers from the box. I'm a little more concerned about this one because it's in another state and I can't check on it. I'd just as soon not have anyone look for it who is just trying out letterboxing to see if they like it.
Reply to: #810703 by SpyCat
Oct 16, 2013 6:49am
Thread
I guess a low find restriction would accomplish the same thing with the added benefit of keeping first time boxers from the box.

While I think the theory of restrictions "protecting" boxes is a bunch of BS, I will note that FUNCTIONALLY you are fine since restrictions are combined. What I mean is that if you have a P1 then folks with F1000 cannot see it if they don't have a plant. So you don't need to add both.
Reply to: #810716 by Eidolon
Oct 16, 2013 6:52am
Thread
the theory of restrictions "protecting" boxes is a bunch of BS

Sometimes, yes, but in this case, it would work pretty well, since most park rangers would not meet the P1 restriciton, and that's what she seems to be worried about.
Oct 16, 2013 9:30am
Thread
Do AQ letterboxes show up in a Google search? I tried a couple of mine and didn't get a hit.
Reply to: #810731 by Lone R
Oct 16, 2013 9:32am
Thread
Do AQ letterboxes show up in a Google search? I tried a couple of mine and didn't get a hit.

No. At least, not the ones where the clues are hosted on AQ. If you have a clue hosted at your own website, it might be findable.
Reply to: #810716 by Eidolon
Oct 16, 2013 11:25am
Thread
What I mean is that if you have a P1 then folks with F1000 cannot see it if they don't have a plant.

Is there anybody out there with a P0, F1000 count... even or P0, F500? If there is, I'd say its time to plant a box or a dozen.

Old Blue
Reply to: #810746 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Oct 16, 2013 11:41am
Thread
Is there anybody out there with a P0, F1000 count... even or P0, F500?

I had ~F1200 before I was listed as a planter on a box so it _IS_ possible. :)
Reply to: #810746 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Oct 16, 2013 12:12pm
Thread
Planting isn't for everyone. If someone only wants to find boxes, that's OK.
Reply to: #810750 by Aiphid
Oct 16, 2013 12:49pm
Thread
Planting isn't for everyone. If someone only wants to find boxes, that's OK.

I think it mostly depends on WHERE you are. If the area is already saturated with boxes, there is no need to be out planting. But if the area is a letterboxing desert, it is good for the hobby to get out there and plant.
Reply to: #810755 by 55 Steps
Oct 16, 2013 4:23pm
Thread
We have a local retiree who has been active since 2007 and has around 500 finds. I doubt she will ever plant a box, she still uses the same store bought signature stamp, and although I've personally invited her to several events, nobody has ever met her. But if a new box shows up within 20 miles, she often beats me to first finder. I have no problem with any of that. Part of the fun is that this hobby allows you to be private, secretive and anonymous.

K
Oct 17, 2013 8:40am
Thread
I want to include the street address with the clue, but the street name is the same as the park name

Not to be flippant, but why do you want to include the address? We're letterboxers and some part of the game is trying to figure out CLUES not directions. Make the start point something to make our little brain cells work some.

deniserows
directions, clues and head scratchers
Reply to: #810750 by Aiphid
Oct 17, 2013 10:29am
Thread
If someone only wants to find boxes, that's OK.

I tried to agree with this, but I can't. It takes soo much more thought and effort to plant boxes than find boxes. I also believe one has things to learn about finding, maintenance and rehiding boxes that is best learned thru the eyes of a planters. Not to mention the old saying, better to give than receive.

Old Blue
who will continue to use P-restrictions when I deem it appropriate
Moving...do you take your letterboxes?
Oct 17, 2013 12:52pm
Thread
We just found out that we are moving.
Leaving all the letterboxes that I planted makes me sad. I mean, I put a lot of blood sweat and tears into them. They are little bits of me hidden all over my stomping ground. Chances are not very high that I'll be able to come back and tend to them.
On the other hand, I know I appreciate every letterbox I am able to search out... even if the person who planted it doesn't tend to it. If I were moving into an area I'd want everyone to leave their letterboxes.

Will someone else weigh in. I'm just talking myself in circles....
Re: Moving...do you take your letterboxes?
Reply to: #810941 by Photo Dabble
Oct 17, 2013 12:55pm
Thread
I recently moved 1000 miles away, and I left them all. I did that because I knew they would be cared for by future finders, and if they dwindle off that is just part of a letterbox's life expectancy in the wild regardless if I live near them or not.
Oct 17, 2013 12:55pm
Thread
You can find a local boxer to care for them and list them as a Contact. This doesn't take anything away from you and isn't like an "adoption" because you are still the planter. After all, you planted them. There's no reason to take them... try not to get that attached. Sure, they are "little bits of you" but that doesn't mean you will be empty without them. :)
Oct 17, 2013 1:01pm
Thread
I know of at least one letterboxer who moved and basically offered her boxes to be adopted. I think there are a few problems with that idea. For one thing the new owner may not care for the box as you would or may fall out of boxing, but in theory it is a possibility you might want to consider.
Oct 17, 2013 1:49pm
Thread
Here's my weigh in. If I could find a person who really wanted to take care of them, I would be more comfortable leaving more than a few. I do have letterboxes I have planted in other states, or sent to events. Some of them had planters who said they would take care of them, and... I get notices that they are not being cared for. That bothers me. If that won't bother you, fine.

Basically, if I had a lot of boxes in an area, I would want someone who would at least be willing to pick them up if they got ruined, so they weren't litter.

There's several series near me that are not being take care of by anyone, and the boxes don't even get marked missing by the owners. There are empty pouches, etc. This is very frustrating for people who look for them, even if they don't comment online, I do hear about it at events or in emails. I have contacted a few owners and had no responses, or the response that they don't care.

I think if I moved away from my area, I would take most of mine with me, except one series where I am sure I can get the park ranger to babysit for me. This is just because of my experiences. If you know people in your area will help you out, you are really lucky!
Oct 17, 2013 2:30pm
Thread
I didn't plant too many in my hometown, but when I moved I left them all because a) they were carved to match the location and wouldn't make sense anywhere else, and b) I knew I'd be back to do box maintenance at least once a year.
Reply to: #810943 by Dizzy
Oct 17, 2013 2:32pm
Thread
You can find a local boxer to care for them and list them as a Contact. This doesn't take anything away from you and isn't like an "adoption" because you are still the planter.

If a box is adopted, the original owner is still the planter and will receive find notices. The problem with just listing a person as a contact instead of having the box adopted is the contact can't edit the clues or change the status if needed. The planter can also change the owner. What's the difference between the carver, planter, and owner of a letterbox?
Oct 17, 2013 2:51pm
Thread
I moved several years ago completely across the country, and I did both. I left the ones I wasn't super attached to and took some that were my favorites. I came from south Florida, which was a boxing desert. There aren't enough boxers and stamps to have made it worthwhile to consider leaving it anyway.

There are a lot of factors to consider. First, you said that you can't visit them, but do you have a friend in the area, even a noxer, who would check on them for you? I would be more inclined to leave a location-specific box in place, but I'd pick up any that are general. Is it a particularly meaningful stamp (anniversary, memorial etc)? Retire it and then replant it in your new spot with the story that goes along with it.
Oct 17, 2013 3:24pm
Thread
Speaking as someone who maintains a LOT of boxes, please leave them for future finders. You may no longer be in the area, but you've left your personal mark for others to discover. Many finders carry extra bags, logbooks and containers. You may be surprised how well an orphaned box can be cared for. I have one in Arizona that is over 7 years old, and by all accounts it is in great condition.

The optimum thing to do is find a local willing to adopt them. You can leave a message on your state board asking for volunteers. If you know someone in your area who's been active for a long time, go ahead and ask. They might say no, but who knows. Even if they don't want to openly adopt them, they may at least be willing to be added as a contact.

I've offered to be added as a contact for many out-of-towners who planted a box while visiting. I appreciate them planting and don't want to discourage this. I've also wholly adopted all the boxes of a few locals who moved away. And I unofficially check up on many others whose owners have long disappeared.

My job has me on the road far and wide, so if I'm not planting or finding, I'm maintaining on a regular basis. There are usually plenty of supplies in my trunk, but I've also made logs from scrap paper and paper clips in a pinch, or popped into ¢99 store for a quick container. I have probably upwards of 400 boxes on my radar. The longer hikes may be put off for a year or more, but the drive-bys I try to check at least once every 3 months.

I'm not saying all this to brag. I just want to encourage you to know that even though you've left your children behind, they won't just wither and die. I don't expect most boxers to put in this kind of effort, but I know plenty of us are out there. Your boxes will get cared for if you ask. Even just a note in the clues can go a long way.

K
Oct 17, 2013 4:40pm
Thread
I'm sorry to see you move! I have a long list of stared boxes that I want to find that you have planted. I guess I had better get off my butt and head north before you leave. Where are you moving too?
M

and I say take the ones that have great meaning and leave the rest. There are lots of boxers in your area that will take care of them with no problem.
Oct 17, 2013 5:13pm
Thread
What about recarving your favorite stamps?

Or make a shadow box of LTCs or artwork ect made using your stamps?
Like a collage or something.
Reply to: #810976 by Robertson Clan
Oct 17, 2013 7:28pm
Thread
I'm sorry to see you move! I have a long list of stared boxes that I want to find that you have planted. I guess I had better get off my butt and head north before you leave. Where are you moving too?
M

How very kind of you to stroke my ego like that. LOL Don't worry, we won't be moving until next september so you have a little time. We don't know for sure where we are moving to. Could be Ft Collins, CO, Folsom, CA, Chandler, AZ or maybe even Portland (Hillsboro). We only know for sure that we are going.
Oct 17, 2013 7:42pm
Thread
I'm about to list a box that I didn't get permission to plant.... I went online to find out what the regulations are for letterboxing or geocaching in this park and nothing is mentioned.

Are you sure you need to hide this listing? The lack of online information doesn't necessarily mean that letterboxing is prohibited. The park district might not want the hassles of a formal permission procedure. Your letterbox might be perfectly welcome in this park.

Prohibitions against letterboxes/geocaches would almost have to be posted in some fashion, so the lack of such a posting implies, at least to me, that your placement is OK.

Are there other letterboxes in this park? Are there geocaches in this park? Did you check any caching resources to see if they have info on this park or district, perhaps a verbal OK from a park manager?