Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Traditional Letterboxes

Re: Respect.... Seems to be a hard concept....
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #809686 by Mumma and Bunny Boy
Oct 11, 2013 11:36am
Thread
I so wish I could box there!!!!! Sounds like a hoot!

Wendy
A long ways from that
part of Canada!
Beautiful, sad day.
Oct 13, 2013 4:37pm
Thread
We got a message a week ago from someone on LBNA that they couldn't find one of our boxes. Today we went to look for it. -- There was no doubt in our minds that the boxer just wasn't looking in the right spot. But sadly we couldn't find it either. Just a rock the size of the box in it's place.

We sat at one of the picnic tables over looking the water. The weather was gorgeous, the view spatacular but I couldn't help but feel a loss. And I had really thought that box was our 1st chance at a blue diamond.

Thank you everyone who did make it out to find 'and my wife said it was going to be a quick trip' in it's short lived life.

Deflated,
Team Mac
Re: Beautiful, sad day.
Reply to: #810176 by Team Mac
Oct 13, 2013 4:44pm
Thread
It sucks, but unfortunately, that's the downside of our hobby. Keep planting--don't give up! Blue diamonds will come if you keep planting great boxes in beautiful spots.
Oct 13, 2013 4:50pm
Thread
A blue diamond would of just been the 'cherry on top'. I would forgo any chance for the diamond if we only had the box back where we had left it.
Oct 13, 2013 4:59pm
Thread
Well this certainly puts things in perspective for me. - "Gunmen abduct six Red Cross workers and local volunteer in Syria: ICRC"

There sure are a lot of worse things out there than a missing box. Prayers said for the abducties. May they return home safe.
Reply to: #810183 by Team Mac
Oct 13, 2013 5:04pm
Thread
if we only had the box back where we had left it

If it means that much to you, recarve and replant! I've replanted some of mine that went missing, and simply retired others. It is up to you. Be careful when you do replant--make sure that your location is really, really secure. Of course, that's no guarantee of box longevity, but a good hiding place well off the beaten path helps.
Reply to: #810189 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 13, 2013 5:38pm
Thread
I don't think we could be unbiased in that quest. I suppose we could ask the few boxers who did find it what they thought of the spot to be sure if it was decent or not. WE of course thought it was good or we wouldn't of hid it there. - lol
Reply to: #810198 by Team Mac
Oct 13, 2013 6:56pm
Thread
be sure if it was decent or not. WE of course thought it was good or we wouldn't of hid it there

Not decent--safe. There's a difference. I can pass by 10 decent "cool place for a letterbox" sites before I pass one that is not only cool but relatively safe for a box to stay hidden. Because they DON'T stay hidden. That's the problem--they are only as well hidden as their last finder makes them, and if they are visible from the trail (or picnic area, or parking lot), then they are in jeopardy. Leaves don't stay in one place, sticks rot, animals scratch around and uncover boxes, rocks can shift--things change. While your spot may be a good one, it may be too close to where people go for box comfort. Since I haven't seen your hiding place, I'm only speculating--but I've seen it happen a lot here, and the boxes that last the longest are often far enough out of sight that they aren't visible even if they're completely uncovered.
Reply to: #810225 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 14, 2013 3:54pm
Thread
My husband actually took a picture of the staircase and landing which I'd love to post in this thread to help make it easier to understand the exact location of the box. To tell the truth I never saw the spot before because I have MS and can not get down to the beach. This by far was our most remote location of all our boxes. Unfortunalty for mysake none of our boxes will ever be planted far off the beaten trail. Cus frankly I'd never get there. - lol And even tho somedays I'm in a wheel chair, I still like to box. So drive-bys, inside locations and paved paths are it for me.

We spray paint each box to blend in with its surroundings. If it's in a pine tree/bush then the box is green. If it's in or near rocks, the box is gray. I can't remember but I'd liked to think this box was brown like the landing and the color of sand. Our boxes are never in the open nor can you see a corner or it sticking 'out'.

So for now, till I figure out how I can share the photos let me try and describe the area.

There is a roadside park looking over a bluff above the rocky shoreline of Lake Huron in the Thumb of Michigan. Once in the parking lot you walk down a staircase to a landing on the beach. To the front of the landing there are 3 more steps to the sand. The back of the landing is surrounded by overgrown brush. Our box was hidden on this side underneath the landing behind a cement footing nestled between two 1x6 supporting planks in a tiny cubby like hole. The box could not been seen from any vantage point (neither from ontop of the landing or even if you walked around the over grown brush) and you would have to crawl around in the weeds to reach under the landing, behind the footing, between the truss like planks to retrieve it.

The beach, well it's hard to call it a beach per say. The shoreline along this part of the lake isn't just rocky is has all sorts of size and shaped boulders in the water. This alone makes it dangerous to swim and the chill of that water is paralizing. This beach is more for a leasurely walk.

I would like to thank those who've emailed me privately with kind words and suggestions. I really wish I could share the photos. :)

Maybe for our next box we'll have to invest in one of those dog tracking chip systems and embed it in our stamps. ;)

Sincerely,
Team Mac
Reply to: #810427 by Team Mac
Oct 14, 2013 4:36pm
Thread
Weird. All I can think is that somehow you inadvertently planted in someone's drug drop spot. The curious part to me is that you found a rock that had been put there. It sounds like a great spot, and one that should have been OK!
Reply to: #810441 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 14, 2013 5:09pm
Thread
You are the second person today to mention that we landed upon a drug drop spot. I suppose if I do get up the energy to recarve that surely isn't the spot to hide it. Maybe a stamp of a pot leaf instead?? ;)
Re: Respect.... Seems to be a hard concept....
Reply to: #809574 by Lone R
Oct 15, 2013 11:29pm
Thread
Oh my goodness that's hilarious!
don't want listing to be seen in casual search
Oct 16, 2013 1:52am
Thread
I'm about to list a box that I didn't get permission to plant. It's planted in a regional park that's a semi "touristy" location. I went online to find out what the regulations are for letterboxing or geocaching in this park and nothing is mentioned. I want to include the street address with the clue, but the street name is the same as the park name and I'm afraid this info might cause the listing to show up in a Google search or make it more obvious if a park ranger does some sleuthing to see what boxes might be there. Is there a way to keep my listing from being discovered?
Re: don't want listing to be seen in casual search
Reply to: #810681 by SpyCat
Oct 16, 2013 3:26am
Thread
Give the box a P1 restriction. That should keep most rangers from seeing it. Although, if there are no restrictions at that park or in your state for that type of park, it should be OK.
Oct 16, 2013 3:40am
Thread
You could use a street address close enough to the park entrance to get folks to the correct location.
Then just describe the park entrance rather than naming it. ie. "turn in where you see a sign pointing to a place for recreation"
Oct 16, 2013 3:43am
Thread
You could jumble the letters in the name of the park and street, making it a simple mystery location, or spell them backwards.
Reply to: #810685 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 16, 2013 5:50am
Thread
Give the box a P1 restriction.

I guess a low find restriction would accomplish the same thing with the added benefit of keeping first time boxers from the box. I'm a little more concerned about this one because it's in another state and I can't check on it. I'd just as soon not have anyone look for it who is just trying out letterboxing to see if they like it.
Reply to: #810703 by SpyCat
Oct 16, 2013 6:49am
Thread
I guess a low find restriction would accomplish the same thing with the added benefit of keeping first time boxers from the box.

While I think the theory of restrictions "protecting" boxes is a bunch of BS, I will note that FUNCTIONALLY you are fine since restrictions are combined. What I mean is that if you have a P1 then folks with F1000 cannot see it if they don't have a plant. So you don't need to add both.
Reply to: #810716 by Eidolon
Oct 16, 2013 6:52am
Thread
the theory of restrictions "protecting" boxes is a bunch of BS

Sometimes, yes, but in this case, it would work pretty well, since most park rangers would not meet the P1 restriciton, and that's what she seems to be worried about.
Oct 16, 2013 9:30am
Thread
Do AQ letterboxes show up in a Google search? I tried a couple of mine and didn't get a hit.
Reply to: #810731 by Lone R
Oct 16, 2013 9:32am
Thread
Do AQ letterboxes show up in a Google search? I tried a couple of mine and didn't get a hit.

No. At least, not the ones where the clues are hosted on AQ. If you have a clue hosted at your own website, it might be findable.
Reply to: #810716 by Eidolon
Oct 16, 2013 11:25am
Thread
What I mean is that if you have a P1 then folks with F1000 cannot see it if they don't have a plant.

Is there anybody out there with a P0, F1000 count... even or P0, F500? If there is, I'd say its time to plant a box or a dozen.

Old Blue
Reply to: #810746 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Oct 16, 2013 11:41am
Thread
Is there anybody out there with a P0, F1000 count... even or P0, F500?

I had ~F1200 before I was listed as a planter on a box so it _IS_ possible. :)
Reply to: #810746 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Oct 16, 2013 12:12pm
Thread
Planting isn't for everyone. If someone only wants to find boxes, that's OK.
Reply to: #810750 by Aiphid
Oct 16, 2013 12:49pm
Thread
Planting isn't for everyone. If someone only wants to find boxes, that's OK.

I think it mostly depends on WHERE you are. If the area is already saturated with boxes, there is no need to be out planting. But if the area is a letterboxing desert, it is good for the hobby to get out there and plant.
Reply to: #810755 by 55 Steps
Oct 16, 2013 4:23pm
Thread
We have a local retiree who has been active since 2007 and has around 500 finds. I doubt she will ever plant a box, she still uses the same store bought signature stamp, and although I've personally invited her to several events, nobody has ever met her. But if a new box shows up within 20 miles, she often beats me to first finder. I have no problem with any of that. Part of the fun is that this hobby allows you to be private, secretive and anonymous.

K
Oct 17, 2013 8:40am
Thread
I want to include the street address with the clue, but the street name is the same as the park name

Not to be flippant, but why do you want to include the address? We're letterboxers and some part of the game is trying to figure out CLUES not directions. Make the start point something to make our little brain cells work some.

deniserows
directions, clues and head scratchers
Reply to: #810750 by Aiphid
Oct 17, 2013 10:29am
Thread
If someone only wants to find boxes, that's OK.

I tried to agree with this, but I can't. It takes soo much more thought and effort to plant boxes than find boxes. I also believe one has things to learn about finding, maintenance and rehiding boxes that is best learned thru the eyes of a planters. Not to mention the old saying, better to give than receive.

Old Blue
who will continue to use P-restrictions when I deem it appropriate
Moving...do you take your letterboxes?
Oct 17, 2013 12:52pm
Thread
We just found out that we are moving.
Leaving all the letterboxes that I planted makes me sad. I mean, I put a lot of blood sweat and tears into them. They are little bits of me hidden all over my stomping ground. Chances are not very high that I'll be able to come back and tend to them.
On the other hand, I know I appreciate every letterbox I am able to search out... even if the person who planted it doesn't tend to it. If I were moving into an area I'd want everyone to leave their letterboxes.

Will someone else weigh in. I'm just talking myself in circles....
Re: Moving...do you take your letterboxes?
Reply to: #810941 by Photo Dabble
Oct 17, 2013 12:55pm
Thread
I recently moved 1000 miles away, and I left them all. I did that because I knew they would be cared for by future finders, and if they dwindle off that is just part of a letterbox's life expectancy in the wild regardless if I live near them or not.