A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Traditional Letterboxes

Re: The Critics and Questioners
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #58390 by teekasue
Dec 31, 2006 6:52am
Thread
I like a lot of the responses here--some of them have been very informative, and will help me in writing clues, I think.

As for your dilemma, I agree with those who've said that if your clue is a little ambiguous, that is your right as a clue writer--we aren't here to be spoonfed. The only time I get frustrated is when I look for a box where the clue is "look for the box under the large cedar tree" in a huge cedar forest where no other indication of the placement is given. There was a discussion a while back that was called, I think, "Dead Forest Clues" that talked about this. As long as that isn't what we're talking about (and given lisascenic's response, it sound like you're in the clear there), then be as cryptic as you like.

I do have one suggestion as to what to write to those who ask questions, though, if you do feel inclined to respond, although it may be something you are doing already. I think I'd probably come up with a standard answer to questions, and send that out so that you don't even have to think about it--just cut and paste. You could even write yourself an AQ email and archive it so that it is readily available whenever you need the text. Then you could modify it if there actually is what you would consider to be a valid question in there somewhere.

One other thing--maybe in your clues you could indicate that you are not willing to give hints on your boxes. Not saying that you are remiss if you haven't done that, or that you should have to, but if you do put that in, it might eliminate at least some of the questions you are getting, and then I think you can feel free to just not respond to emails about the box, since you've already given fair warning.

Pied Piper
Checked on letterbox
Dec 31, 2006 10:58am
Yesterday I checked on Eat At Murph's Lb.
There Were only two finders for my first mystery letterbox. One from Gardner and one from Westminister. Cogrates to them both for finding my mystery lb. I hope that More people can find it.
automan01440
Reply to: #59793 by Pied Piper
Dec 31, 2006 11:56am
Thread
Quote ...maybe in your clues you could indicate that you are not willing to give hints on your boxes.

The list of little notes that must be included in the clues is getting longer and longer. While for the most part that works, the problem I have with it is when your clues deliberately don't look like letterbox clues, they look like some random web page. For example, with my "My Fishing Trip to Lake Miccosukee", when you click on "click here for clue" you're taken directly to this page:

http://www.nettally.com/palmk/LakeMiccosukeeFishingTrip.html

I think you'd agree, having a paragraph describing whether hitchhikers will fit in this box, and another paragraph clarifying whether the stamp image is suitable for small children, and a paragraph explaining whether or not you'll respond to questions about more info would all detract from the intended look and feel of this clue set.

That's basically why I'd like as much of this info as possible to be conveyed by icons; it allows the clues to be as cryptic or unusual as desired without depriving finders of some basic information that they might need.
Reply to: #59776 by Mama Cache
Dec 31, 2006 12:01pm
Thread
Quote If your name is boldfaced in their list of sent mail, they know you haven't read it.
But if you read it, your name will be in plain text, and the fact that you've read it will be as plain as the text.
No hiding that, I don't think. Sorry.

I'm sorry, but no software in the world can tell anybody whether or not I've read a message. It might be able to tell them if I've opened it, but it can't tell them I didn't just delete without reading.

-- Kirbert
Reply to: #59856 by Kirbert
Dec 31, 2006 12:26pm
Thread
Quote The list of little notes that must be included in the clues is getting longer and longer. While for the most part that works, the problem I have with it is when your clues deliberately don't look like letterbox clues, they look like some random web page. For example, with my "My Fishing Trip to Lake Miccosukee", when you click on "click here for clue" you're taken directly to this page:

http://www.nettally.com/palmk/LakeMiccosukeeFishingTrip.html

I think you'd agree, having a paragraph describing whether hitchhikers will fit in this box, and another paragraph clarifying whether the stamp image is suitable for small children, and a paragraph explaining whether or not you'll respond to questions about more info would all detract from the intended look and feel of this clue set.

That's basically why I'd like as much of this info as possible to be conveyed by icons; it allows the clues to be as cryptic or unusual as desired without depriving finders of some basic information that they might need.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that anyone should HAVE to put anything in their clues. I only made that suggestion because it might make things easier for the planter who was having to deal with people asking for spoon-feeding on the clues. My motivation was to spare her (I think the original poster was female:-) some frustration, hoping that people would be forewarned that they would not receive an answer if they asked for a ridiculous amount (or any if the planter wishes for people to rely solely on her clues) help. This suggestion was entirely meant for the planter's benefit, not the finder's.

As far as icons are concerned, if there is a need by a particular planter to use a larger number of icons than are available on AQ, they could host their clues on their own web page with a series of icons which they themselves have created, and then just include a key as to what those icons mean. There are already some planters who link to their own web pages (Springchick comes to mind), and if you are using your own pages, you have total control of icons, content, format, everything. That would give you the benefit of using whatever icons you like, with the added convenience of having things linked to AQ and/or LbNA. The best of both worlds, for those who want to use a large number of icons with their clues.

Pied Piper
Congratulations to the Fat Lady !!
Dec 31, 2006 5:18pm
Thread
Congratulations to the Fat Lady for finding 100 boxes!!
Tuppence FSS
Re: Congratulations to the Fat Lady !!
Reply to: #59922 by Flying Squirrel Squad
Dec 31, 2006 5:31pm
Thread
Will there be singing?

Just wondering...

preboxed
Reply to: #59926 by preboxed
Dec 31, 2006 5:41pm
Thread
Hope not, because than it would be over ;)
Reply to: #59930 by CathCainGwen
Dec 31, 2006 5:52pm
Thread
O yeah, good point...

Never mind.

Wait a second....

What's wrong with singing out...Proud!?

pre
:-)
Reply to: #59935 by preboxed
Dec 31, 2006 5:59pm
Thread
Quote O yeah, good point...

Never mind.

Wait a second....

What's wrong with singing out...Proud!?

pre
:-)

Clearly, you have never heard my sister sing--at least at the moment; she's a little out of practice.

Oh, whoops, did I say that out loud--er, in print?

MWAHAHAHA!!!

Congratulations Nat!

The (sometimes evil) Pied Piper

P.S. I was actually singing the song from whence "sing out proud" comes (Sing a Song of Sesame Street fame) recently, and she asked me if that was actually what I was singing, as if I should be embarrassed. So I sang the bit about singing out proud and not worrying if it was good enough for anyone else to hear very pointedly in her direction.

Hey, we grew up in a small town. You take your fun wherever you can get it.
Reply to: #59922 by Flying Squirrel Squad
Jan 1, 2007 12:55am
Thread
Thank you! This is the perfect beginning to a new year: I've filled up my first logbook, and am starting on myh second hundred finds. Woo-hoo!

I owe it all to Tuppence, whose boxes WERE my 99th and 100th. If it weren't for those flying squirrels, where would I be?
where'd my bobber go? series
Jan 1, 2007 1:29pm
Thread
i planted my first hand-carved series today and in lieu of a ff prize, i launched my first hitchhiker in box 1. are you as excited as i am?
Proper ettiquite
Jan 1, 2007 1:34pm
Thread
Hey
Today we did a drive by, we were by the two trunked tree, had the box in our hands, in the car. We were just packing it back up and getting ready to put it back and we saw a car drive in to the other side of the lot. We watched for a second, could see the paper in hand, figured it to be a boxer. They drove around back behind where we were parked. We sat there and panicked...what do we do....Finally my husband put the box back and went over to the car and asked which way was north. And she knew the answer!! So we laughed and she drove her car next to ours, and we did an exchange....hi BibliochickMS!!

My question is ....what were we supposed to have done...it was kind of silly to hide the box right in front of her, but to sit there with it didnt seem right either. I could have handed it right to her, but that would have been lame. I didnt really want to drive off with it and come back later....

Were we supposed to drive somewhere else to do the stamping in? I thought the point of the driveby was that you could do it right there in the car.

So what would the experts have done in this situation?

Crazyoli
Re: Proper ettiquite
Reply to: #60059 by Crazyolis
Jan 1, 2007 1:44pm
Thread
I think you guys did the right thing. Chances are small that someone else is going to drive up to a literal drive-by at exactly the same time you do. I do not think it is necessary to drive away when the box is that close to the parking space--in fact, I think your car is a good way to cover up your activities from noxers driving by the area. So, I say you did a good job! Fun to have the exchange too. :-)

Happy New Year,
Amyrica
Re: where'd my bobber go? series
Reply to: #60058 by wjm
Jan 1, 2007 2:01pm
Thread
Quote i planted my first hand-carved series today and in lieu of a ff prize, i launched my first hitchhiker in box 1. are you as excited as i am?

Very cool! Great way to start the new year!!

I had some boxers come visit my "our Farm" series!! But other than that, I resisted temptation to go boxing, and cleaned house, worked on a project for my son's school and helped hubby with some farm work. Not very exciting, but necessary...

Mama Fox
Jan 1, 2007 2:05pm
Thread
I agree with Amyrica, I think you did great. The ONLY thing I might have done differently, depending on the situation of course, would be to talk to the other driver first--before replacing the box. That way, if they were not a letterboxer, you could just wait them out, and then hide the box after they were out of sight.

NOT that I claim to be an expert. Just by saying that, you've made it very hard for anyone to answer your question--who wants that kind of responsibility? :-)

Pied Piper
Box change
Jan 1, 2007 2:09pm
Thread
I have a stamp and log that has previously been a traditional box - I sent it to the Great Book Event in TX, and got it back. I really love this stamp - generally, I can "let go" of a stamp to plant it, or mail it off, but I'm sorta attached to this one.

Rather than let it sit around gather dust, I was thinking of taking it to events with me, and just having it sit around if anyone wants to stamp in. It's not technically an event stamp in that it wasn't made for an event, and doesn't have anything to do with an event, but what is it if I bring it to an event??

Does this make sense? Is this done? Is it a tacky breach of etiquette? Should I just let the stamp gather dust??

It's similar to another PT that I have, and I already have two, hate to have another one......but I could, I guess.......

Thinking out loud ;-)) Feedback would be appreciated!

Mama Fox
Re: Box change
Reply to: #60064 by The Little Foxes
Jan 1, 2007 2:18pm
Thread
I don't see why you can't just make this a personal traveler. I've seen lots of event stamps reappear as traditional letterbox stamps, and no one seems to mind. Personally, I think that when you've got a good stamp, the more people who get to see it, the better! So from a finder's perspective I say, yeah, make it a traveler. And if I ever attend an event at which you are present, I'll ask to see that stamp.

You could also turn it into a postal after it's been a traveler for a while. That way, even MORE people can get a crack at it!

Don't let those old stamps die!

Pied Piper
Reply to: #60063 by Pied Piper
Jan 1, 2007 5:28pm
Thread
Oh man! I've forgotten what the right answer to the question "Which way is north?" though I remember those posts.

I'm just gonna point upwards and do something like a penguin walk and hope that works... I think I'm supposed to do arm farts to something too...

I'll fake it if this issue ever comes up. Sounds like ya'll did fine to me..
preboxed
Replace stamp or not?
Jan 1, 2007 8:04pm
Thread
I have a letterbox in which the stamp has been slightly damaged. It's not horribly disfigured, it just looks like somebody did a little hacking on it. I can replace the stamp -- but should I? There is not enough space in the box for two stamps. Is it better to have a good condition stamp or the original stamp regardless of condition?

-- Kirbert
Re: Replace stamp or not?
Reply to: #60152 by Kirbert
Jan 1, 2007 8:27pm
Thread
Quote Is it better to have a good condition stamp or the original stamp regardless of condition?

I'd probably replace it with a new stamp with the same image, but that could be the OCD tendencies in me. I'd want it to be perfect. <g> I wouldn't change it to a new image, though. That would change the nature of the box.

DebBee
Reply to: #60154 by DebBee
Jan 1, 2007 8:45pm
Thread
Didn't you know? They don't call it OCD anymore. They now call it CDO...in alphabetical order...the way it should be!

Okay...perhaps I should go to bed now! LOL

D5 Mama

Oh...Kirbert...in answer to your question. I guess it depends on how badly it's damaged. If it's minor...leave it. It adds character! If it's unrecognizable, or heavily damaged...I'd replace it with the same carved image! Just my opinion...for what it's worth!
First Finders!
Jan 1, 2007 9:28pm
Yeah! After about two months, our first series was found. Seeing that email about it being found was a great high point of New Years Day!
Danny and Becky
Jan 2, 2007 5:25am
Thread
Not knowing what the image is, I would say to replace it with the same image if the central part of the image is damaged. For instance, if it's a portrait and the center of the face is damaged, replace it. If the hairdo is just a little "scuffed" I might leave it.

Knit Wit
Jan 2, 2007 5:54am
Thread
I'm just happy that I knew the right answer when asked. :) I think we handled the situation just fine and I was excited to meet another letterboxer in the field.
Jan 2, 2007 7:36am
Thread
If it's not too bad, write what happened in the logbook and leave the original stamp. It's part of that letterbox's story. That's what I'm going to do with "Gossamer Steel". It's got a couple of teeth marks in it now that don't really interfere with the image. And boy, would I have loved to see the look on that animal's face when it tasted MasterCarve for the first time! Wouldn't that have made a great picture for the next AQ calendar!
Stacy
Re: O Letterbox Tree - More have appeared!
Reply to: #59591 by Smimle
Jan 2, 2007 10:40am
Thread
Yea!!! Thank you!!

moonshowr
Jan 2, 2007 10:58am
Thread
We've run into boxers twice now. Once, we pulled up and parked right beside them on a drive-by ( YankeeChiK and family! ). And the other time, I had the box, but noticed a couple go to the hinding spot and look around. I walked over and told them that I might have something they needed ( hello Cap'n K and Long Limbs McL! ), and they followed me over to were I was stamping in so we could do an exchange, and they could have the box.

There really isn't anything else you can do, can you? I mean, you are both in the same place, looking for the same thing. I know that it might take some of the excitement of the actual find out of it by being handed a box, but that is replaced by the excitement of getting to meet a fellow LBer!!

I probably freaked Capn'K and Long Limbs out by walking up to them while they were looking, but I didn't want them to think that the box was missing by waiting them out. And like you said, it would have been silly to replant it right in front of them!

Glad you got an exchange!!! Those are sooo fun!!!

moonshowr
Pulling Baby It's Cold Outside...
Jan 2, 2007 11:08am
Sorry that I didn't give any other warning, but Baby It's Cold Outside is gone til next year!

I liked it in the park so much, and we got a good many finders, so we've decided to do it as a seasonal box.

I will replant it next year after Thanksgiving!!!

Thank you to all that hunted for it, we appreciate it soo much!!!

It was supposed to be pulled yesterday, but we ended up being more busy for New Years than Christmas!!!

moonshowr
Reply to: #60228 by Electric City Four
Jan 2, 2007 12:42pm
Thread
I think the replies so far have been right on... but I'd like to add that if you 'just hand them the box' you should stick around until they are finished and replace it yourself. If they don't physically see where exactly the box came from, how are they supposed to properly replace it?

It is very exciting to meet someone on the trail. I was out last week with Maiden and as we sat (several yards away from the location) this family walked up with a piece of paper... headed to the exact spot. We called over, 'We think we have what you're looking for!" and of course they were letterboxers. They were so new (geocachers trying something new) that they didn't even have trail names or sig stamps yet, but it was still nice to meet them!

~HP~