A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Traditional Letterboxes

Re: The Critics and Questioners
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #58601 by teekasue
Dec 27, 2006 9:37am
Thread
On the 26th, my eldest announced he'd called for a ride and was heading back to school early. No discussion, no reason given, just..I wanted to get back early.

He was supposed to stay until 1/2.

I keep trying to remember how it was when I was that age...and I suppose, if I had the option, I would have wanted to go pal around with my buds too. I mean, he DID spend a whole four days at home.

This parenting thing is so HARD.
Re: GAQE2007
Reply to: #58923 by JennieGee
Dec 27, 2006 12:48pm
Thread
Hey Red Soup,

I'd love to have a box in Canada!
Unless you think I'm too nearby ;)

Mariette
(dbltall of Team Garlic)
plant counts for series
Dec 27, 2006 2:10pm
Thread
We just got back from scouting a site that would be great for a series of stamps. I have kind of a silly question... if we plant 5 boxes under one "Title" on AQ does it count as 5 plants or as 1?

We have a "series" already, but because they were more of a theme tied together at different places, I posted them as 3 different boxes. This site lends itself to one title and different boxes along the same trail. I just wondered how that affected the "P" count.

Thanks,

GG
Re: plant counts for series
Reply to: #59031 by Gryffindors
Dec 27, 2006 2:26pm
Thread
It still counts as 5 plants, as well as 5 finds for the finder. The clues will just all be on one page.

't'
dtandfambly
Re: plant counts for series
Reply to: #59031 by Gryffindors
Dec 27, 2006 2:40pm
Thread
Each box counts as a seperate plant. One series I did only had one logbook in the last box. It has a total of 9 boxes. Saved people from stamping their own stamp multiple times. I asked them to write in the logbook how many boxes they found. When listing finds boxers can log just those they have found. This is how I discovered that one of the boxes had been destroyed. Hope that helps.
Retired Postal Stamps
Dec 27, 2006 8:25pm
Thread
How do most of you feel about taking a retired postal stamp and converting it to a traditional box. For me most of the people I am in postals with will probably never get to look for my real boxes. Is it okay to reuse these stamps for traditional boxes?
Red Soup
Re: Retired Postal Stamps
Reply to: #59160 by Alien Invasive Insects
Dec 27, 2006 8:34pm
Thread
Quote No sense in letting them just sit around

Thanks!

That was my feeling too but I wanted to make sure that I didn't break so big taboo or something.

Red Soup
Reply to: #59159 by JennieGee
Dec 27, 2006 10:17pm
Thread
Quote How do most of you feel about taking a retired postal stamp and converting it to a traditional box. For me most of the people I am in postals with will probably never get to look for my real boxes. Is it okay to reuse these stamps for traditional boxes?
Red Soup

Yes, yes, yes! As one of the local boxers in my area says, more boxes please! :D

Pied Piper
Reply to: #59159 by JennieGee
Dec 28, 2006 6:16am
Thread
Quote Is it okay to reuse these stamps for traditional boxes?

Check this out and maybe use the same idea in your area.
Subject: Stamp Retirement Relocation Program
Author: pyratemates Profile Contact Logbook
Date: Dec 7, 2006 6:39 PM

Winter is now upon most of the country. The snowbirds are starting to flock and migrate toward us here in the "Sunshine State".

Why should they have all the fun. If you (or anyone else you know) have any stamps that would like to retire to the "Sunshine State" just send them along (carvers will be acknowledged as such) for planting by us. There is plenty of room for starting a retirement relocation program here. We have many locations available for these tired, retired postal, elderly and arthritic stamps that wish to retire and move south to enjoy life in Florida and have locals as well as tourists stop by for a visit.

Just contact us for information as to where to send the retirees.

Merry Christmas to all
Frank and Kate your,
Pyratemates
Subject: Stamp Retirement Relocation Program
FL Old Stamps Home
Dec 28, 2006 6:29am
Thread
A bit ago, someone posted about sending old and retired stamps down to FLA for retirement. I know I could go back and reread, but it's the holidays and I'm lazy. :-)

At any rate, I have a box I pulled yesterday, and this stamp needs some new life. It's a large stamp...probably 4X6.

Jenni P McD
Reply to: #59240 by pyratemates
Dec 28, 2006 6:33am
Thread
HEY! Why should Florida get all the fun? Send some here!

Couldn't resist.

Pied Piper
Witness Relocation Program WAS Re: FL Old Stamps Home
Reply to: #59243 by Jenni P McD
Dec 28, 2006 6:38am
Thread
Maybe we should have a "Witness Relocation Program" for stamps retired from one area so that they could be enjoyed by those in another area who would never have a chance to see them otherwise. What does everyone think of that idea? These could be sent via gatherings, and those at the gathering who wished to replant at said gatherings could pick and choose from the available stamps (maybe via a lottery if there is more than one interested party). Original clues and info on the stamps could be wrapped up with them so that the appropriate parties could be credited.

Just an idea.

Pied Piper
Reply to: #59247 by Pied Piper
Dec 28, 2006 6:57am
Thread
Pyratemates replied to your question about retireing postals. They are the ones who have the stamp retirement program as well as the pirate relocation program (from Scurvy Pirates PLB).
Dec 28, 2006 6:59am
Thread
There's also the great exchange coming up! GAQLBE07!!! That would work for that too.

D5 Mama
Reply to: #59255 by Smimle
Dec 28, 2006 7:06am
Thread
Okay....I'm a dunce....I didn't even THINK of that one. LOL

And, since I'm actually PARTICIPATING in it, you'd think I'd have considered it.

Jenni P McD
Dec 28, 2006 9:54am
Thread
Quote Maybe we should have a "Witness Relocation Program" for stamps retired from one area so that they could be enjoyed by those in another are

Actually most of those guys go to the Big Island. Stamps, I'm not so sure about. ;)

daelphinus
Reply to: #59256 by Jenni P McD
Dec 28, 2006 10:39am
Thread
You silly! LOL

I'm having one of those days too!

D5 Mama
missing boxes
Dec 28, 2006 11:23am
Thread
all the boxes of my recent "chance of flurries" plant have vanished. anyone having like problems? i'm so dismayed! wjm
Leopards in the Forest update
Dec 28, 2006 12:57pm
Thread
As of today, I have revised these clues. The owners of the store did some new year rearranging. I moved the box on the spur of the moment and changed the clues, but I may have to move it again to somewhere I am positive they will not be changing...like outside?
Has anyone else ever had a box like this? It is a wonderful, special place for a box that I am not willing to retire!!! I just need the owners to quit rearranging! Don't they know that the express purpose for their store is to hide my box?

: )
't'
dtandfambly
Re: missing boxes
Reply to: #59306 by Alien Invasive Insects
Dec 28, 2006 2:45pm
Thread
went and looked myself. not a trace of them anywhere! i even took my directions just to be sure i checked the right places. i checked the other boxes i know of on the suwanee creek greenway and they were safe & sound. its just the craziest thing! wjm
Re: Leopards in the Forest update
Reply to: #59317 by dtandfambly
Dec 28, 2006 3:00pm
Thread
Well, as a finder of the box, I have to say, I liked where it was, and I liked having to follow clues to find it ;-)) However, I also had a close friend who had a small business/shop and she was constantly rearranging - so I understand that mentality too ;-)) Can they recommend a place to hide it, where it won't be "rearranged"? Or, alternatively, if their rearranging exposes the box, can they hold it behind the counter (til you can rehide and "reclue") and you can put a caveat to that effect in the clues ("if it's not where it's supposed to be, ask the cashier").

Probably getting too complicated...... Is there somewhere out on the porch that would work?

When we are down that way, and I'm getting my cup of coffee, I'll make sure and check the clues to see where it's hiding now! I'd love to get one of those ceramic Leopards in the Forest coffee cups they had...... ;-))

Mama Fox
Reply to: #59337 by The Little Foxes
Dec 28, 2006 4:39pm
Thread
Or, alternatively, if their rearranging exposes the box, can they hold it behind the counter (til you can rehide and "reclue") and you can put a caveat to that effect in the clues ("if it's not where it's supposed to be, ask the cashier").

Thanks, good suggestion! I think I will try that. That would alleviate any problems if I were not to be around when the rearranging got done. I am in there almost every day. (Who wouldn't be when you can get delicious, fresh, African coffee for 50 cents a cup?) So I knew if they moved it or exposed it, I would know almost immediatley. I guess I'll HAVE to go back out there tomorrow to talk to the owners: )

The ceramic mugs went fast during the holidays, but I think their are still a few left!: )

't'
dtandfambly
Intro
Dec 28, 2006 5:02pm
Thread
Hi: Just wanted to introduce a new team: banana squash. My brother and his wife who are from WI! They have been letterboxing with me on their vacation here on the East Coast...they already have plenty of carving ideas to take home with them...

Welcome you guys, AQ has a great group and you'll learn a lot.

dewdrop
Re: Intro
Reply to: #59368 by Dewdrop
Dec 28, 2006 5:12pm
Thread
welcome to letterboxing banana squash!!!
Reply to: #59335 by wjm
Dec 29, 2006 5:22am
Thread
I did not look for the Flurries yet but you almost have to assume/hope it was not hidden as well as you thought and was accidently found by someone. And I agree; it is odd that the others there are ok... *shrug* wish I could add something useful.
Reply to: #59456 by Eidolon
Dec 29, 2006 7:07am
Thread
Quote I did not look for the Flurries yet but you almost have to assume/hope it was not hidden as well as you thought and was accidently found by someone

My sister, who is not a boxer but unofficially looks after my boxes when I can't be there (our northern home), e-mailed me that "Are We there Yet Pappa?" was muggled by a family friend who found it "in the middle of the road" and knew our family so well that he thought it must have been lost by one of us. He left it on my steps. He didn't realize that I wouldn't see it again until February. I think sis will rescue it for me so the winter winds don't plant it where I can't find it. I think Rod, the family friend, is the only person who could have traced that box to me and I will write to tell him that I appreciate his "help" and that I think he should become a boxer if he can do that kind of detective work.

Eaglewatcher (in southern Maine but firmly rooted in the north)
Reply to: #59354 by dtandfambly
Dec 29, 2006 9:31am
Thread
I was thinking of putting a box in a bed and bath store here in town but was concerend about how often the rearrange. So I now think that when I get around to placing the box that I will hide it in a pocket in a pillow that will just go on one of the beds. That way if they rearrange it will be ok the clues will read so that the finder just has to find the pillow. I have not done it yet so I can not tell you how it has worked.

Maybe you can put your box in something that can sit in plain sight, and when rearranged it will be ok.

Just a thought
Mystic Dreamer
Reply to: #59485 by Mystic Dreamer
Dec 29, 2006 9:40am
Thread
Another great thought! Keep 'em coming!!
They have bags full of unroasted coffee beans and lots of artsy stuff there. Maybe I could find an old book about leopards and hollow it out? I will have to scope out the coffee shop a few more times. I think research is very important. And I probably need some coffee to keep my mind sharp while I am pondering ideas; ) Hmmm...

't'
dtandfambly
Reply to: #59456 by Eidolon
Dec 29, 2006 11:33am
Thread
my 1st assumption was that i did a terrible job hiding them (since i'm new to searching for hiding places), but do you think i could have been that bad at all three? guess its possible! its making it really hard for me to decide on my next hiding spot, and now i can't make up my mind about a replant for "flurries" either. does it get better?
Reply to: #59495 by wjm
Dec 29, 2006 12:21pm
Thread
Quote my 1st assumption was that i did a terrible job hiding them (since i'm new to searching for hiding places), but do you think i could have been that bad at all three?

Not likely, I agree and your 'red oak' box was hidden decently enough so if these were similar, they should have been ok for more than a couple weeks at least... Like I said, without having seen them I can't offer much other than to say that Greenway is a busy place so it may just be dumb luck.