A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Traditional Letterboxes

Re: The Critics and Questioners
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #58390 by teekasue
Dec 26, 2006 4:19pm
Thread
I once searched for HOURS for a box (it was an are where there were thousands of little trails criss-crossing through a forest) because somewhere near the start of the hunt, one of the trails had been obscured by the fact that there was a pond where the trail usually is. Apparently, that doesn't usually happen. But I didn't know this, and emailed the planter explaining just exactly where I got sort of confused, and the steps I took to try to solve the problem. He was really nice, and said he'd go check on the box to be sure it was there since there had been a huge storm and so much damage to the trails. A little bit later, he assured me it was there, and gave me a kind hint. Not so much a hint, but just restated a key part of the clue that maybe I missed. He certainly didn't give anything away! When I went back, it was STILL a long search, but I really REALLY appreciated that he answered me, saying the box was definitely still there and that he hadn't really thought about how the storm would have affected things. It was cool, because I felt sort of connected to the letterboxing community more than before, since it was my first real conversation with a planter.

monotonia
Re: O Letterbox Tree - last update?
Reply to: #58792 by ArchimedesScrew
Dec 26, 2006 5:15pm
Thread
*pout*

There's another??

*sob*
Re: GAQE2007
Reply to: #58732 by Nature Posse
Dec 26, 2006 5:47pm
Thread
Quote For the records: I was the first to request to be paired up with Lock Wench for the exchange. The old threads will clearly show that. However, I have moved on to harassing another very talented carver instead. Hmmm has Cheshire Kat signed up yet? Sorry LW, I'm over you.

Nature Posse

Ouch.

Actually, this is true. Nature Posse wrote to me privately awhile ago and asked if any of these images could head up her way... And no one answered my questions about how you decide who to match up to who. I signed up..but does that mean I am automatically just HANDED OVER to Shiloh? Please explain how all of this is decided..

LW PhD
"Nice Counts"
clue update
Dec 26, 2006 6:22pm
Thread
All right guys, I deleted the clues to "Take A Hike" by mistake, but we got them back up....
Sorry about that, now lets get out there and letterbox
Free Bird
Reply to: #58750 by Warrior Woman
Dec 26, 2006 6:23pm
Thread
The GAQLBE07 is just that...a letterbox exchange. Stamp & logbook only...no need to send a box too...unless it's a certain box you absolutely "must have" with your letterbox.

I'm matching participants up and will be handing out the assignments on or very near Jan 15th. If there is a person or place in particular you'd like to exchange with...let me know. Requests are being handled on a first come first serve basis. Other than that...once I've matched up the participants...it's up to you and your exchangee to confirm details of boxes.

We'd love to have you join up!

D5 Mama
Reply to: #58834 by Lock Wench
Dec 26, 2006 6:31pm
Thread
Um...oops! Operator error!! Darn it!

If you (Lock Wench) and Nature Posse would like to exchange that's fine with me. Shiloh might cry...but maybe the fact that someone else requested to exchange with him will perk him up! Yes? *nervous smile*

Darn it...darn it...darn it! I hate it when I mess up...means I'm still far from perfect! Darn it! LOL

*running away...so as not to see the grown man cry....*
Reply to: #58834 by Lock Wench
Dec 26, 2006 7:06pm
Thread
Quote I am automatically just HANDED OVER to Shiloh?

Heeey, you make it sound like that's a bad thing. :)

Shiloh
Reply to: #58850 by Smimle
Dec 26, 2006 7:09pm
Thread
Quote *running away...so as not to see the grown man cry....*

LOL.....nah..it's all in fun. Pair me up with anyone.

Hey I made a rhyme!!!

Shiloh
Reply to: #58867 by shiloh
Dec 26, 2006 7:52pm
Thread
Quote LOL.....nah..it's all in fun. Pair me up with anyone.

Hey I made a rhyme!!!

You're a regular Dr. Seuss. ;P

TG *who would like to participate in the exchange, but has too many postals to carve*
Reply to: #58883 by Trekkie Gal
Dec 26, 2006 8:00pm
Thread
The list of exchanges will be sent out on Jan 15th...you don't have to have it all ready by then...the time frame is up to the exchangers! So if you'd like in on it, I can match you up with someone else who is also a bit backed up!

Come on...you know you wanna! *GRIN*

D5 Mama
Reply to: #58425 by Lock Wench
Dec 26, 2006 8:47pm
Thread
My father, and my grandfather for that matter, always said "Your right to swing your arm ends at my nose."

..oughta be a bumper sticker in there somewhere...
Re: clue update
Reply to: #58844 by FreeBird
Dec 26, 2006 8:59pm
Thread
Quote All right guys, I deleted the clues to "Take A Hike" by mistake, but we got them back up....

Hmmmm. You have a box named "Take A Hike!" too? Or did you somehow delete the clues to my box?
Re: clue update
Reply to: #58902 by Kirbert
Dec 26, 2006 9:05pm
Thread
Quote You have a box named "Take A Hike!" too? Or did you somehow delete the clues to my box?

Actually, there are five different boxes planted by five different people with that name. =)

And those are just the boxes listed on Atlas Quest. There could be others that aren't listed here. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #58816 by monotonia
Dec 26, 2006 11:15pm
Thread
I love feed back from people who have actually walked thru the trsil physically went to the site and looked and yet had NO luck ....my main issue is with those who ask for info for things before they even take a chance and go for it.....sometimes the very questions they are asking are obvious on the trail but NOT from GOOGLE EARTH or Map Quest ...it sometimes takes a little faith and gas!!! Just jump in with both feet if you wnat or it sounds interesting, before you assume the clue giver is somehow wrong and has holes in thier head......OK soap box over......oh yeah and when you do get a "help" please have the courtesy to at least HUNT the box at some point ....don't you think that might be proper???
Not sure but I try and try and I am soooo excited when I finally get to the "solved" side of the class.....no more dunce cap! hehe I go get that thing ASAP jsut to prove that I am NOT a doof....it is always righ tin front of my nose.....right Tdyans???? ; )

teekasue
Reply to: #58845 by Smimle
Dec 27, 2006 2:22am
Thread
I am willing to trade boxes with as many people as possible who would like to plant a box in Canada.
Red Soup
Reply to: #58601 by teekasue
Dec 27, 2006 9:37am
Thread
On the 26th, my eldest announced he'd called for a ride and was heading back to school early. No discussion, no reason given, just..I wanted to get back early.

He was supposed to stay until 1/2.

I keep trying to remember how it was when I was that age...and I suppose, if I had the option, I would have wanted to go pal around with my buds too. I mean, he DID spend a whole four days at home.

This parenting thing is so HARD.
Reply to: #58923 by JennieGee
Dec 27, 2006 12:48pm
Thread
Hey Red Soup,

I'd love to have a box in Canada!
Unless you think I'm too nearby ;)

Mariette
(dbltall of Team Garlic)
plant counts for series
Dec 27, 2006 2:10pm
Thread
We just got back from scouting a site that would be great for a series of stamps. I have kind of a silly question... if we plant 5 boxes under one "Title" on AQ does it count as 5 plants or as 1?

We have a "series" already, but because they were more of a theme tied together at different places, I posted them as 3 different boxes. This site lends itself to one title and different boxes along the same trail. I just wondered how that affected the "P" count.

Thanks,

GG
Re: plant counts for series
Reply to: #59031 by Gryffindors
Dec 27, 2006 2:26pm
Thread
It still counts as 5 plants, as well as 5 finds for the finder. The clues will just all be on one page.

't'
dtandfambly
Re: plant counts for series
Reply to: #59031 by Gryffindors
Dec 27, 2006 2:40pm
Thread
Each box counts as a seperate plant. One series I did only had one logbook in the last box. It has a total of 9 boxes. Saved people from stamping their own stamp multiple times. I asked them to write in the logbook how many boxes they found. When listing finds boxers can log just those they have found. This is how I discovered that one of the boxes had been destroyed. Hope that helps.
Retired Postal Stamps
Dec 27, 2006 8:25pm
Thread
How do most of you feel about taking a retired postal stamp and converting it to a traditional box. For me most of the people I am in postals with will probably never get to look for my real boxes. Is it okay to reuse these stamps for traditional boxes?
Red Soup
Re: Retired Postal Stamps
Reply to: #59160 by Alien Invasive Insects
Dec 27, 2006 8:34pm
Thread
Quote No sense in letting them just sit around

Thanks!

That was my feeling too but I wanted to make sure that I didn't break so big taboo or something.

Red Soup
Reply to: #59159 by JennieGee
Dec 27, 2006 10:17pm
Thread
Quote How do most of you feel about taking a retired postal stamp and converting it to a traditional box. For me most of the people I am in postals with will probably never get to look for my real boxes. Is it okay to reuse these stamps for traditional boxes?
Red Soup

Yes, yes, yes! As one of the local boxers in my area says, more boxes please! :D

Pied Piper
Reply to: #59159 by JennieGee
Dec 28, 2006 6:16am
Thread
Quote Is it okay to reuse these stamps for traditional boxes?

Check this out and maybe use the same idea in your area.
Subject: Stamp Retirement Relocation Program
Author: pyratemates Profile Contact Logbook
Date: Dec 7, 2006 6:39 PM

Winter is now upon most of the country. The snowbirds are starting to flock and migrate toward us here in the "Sunshine State".

Why should they have all the fun. If you (or anyone else you know) have any stamps that would like to retire to the "Sunshine State" just send them along (carvers will be acknowledged as such) for planting by us. There is plenty of room for starting a retirement relocation program here. We have many locations available for these tired, retired postal, elderly and arthritic stamps that wish to retire and move south to enjoy life in Florida and have locals as well as tourists stop by for a visit.

Just contact us for information as to where to send the retirees.

Merry Christmas to all
Frank and Kate your,
Pyratemates
Subject: Stamp Retirement Relocation Program
FL Old Stamps Home
Dec 28, 2006 6:29am
Thread
A bit ago, someone posted about sending old and retired stamps down to FLA for retirement. I know I could go back and reread, but it's the holidays and I'm lazy. :-)

At any rate, I have a box I pulled yesterday, and this stamp needs some new life. It's a large stamp...probably 4X6.

Jenni P McD
Reply to: #59240 by pyratemates
Dec 28, 2006 6:33am
Thread
HEY! Why should Florida get all the fun? Send some here!

Couldn't resist.

Pied Piper
Witness Relocation Program WAS Re: FL Old Stamps Home
Reply to: #59243 by Jenni P McD
Dec 28, 2006 6:38am
Thread
Maybe we should have a "Witness Relocation Program" for stamps retired from one area so that they could be enjoyed by those in another area who would never have a chance to see them otherwise. What does everyone think of that idea? These could be sent via gatherings, and those at the gathering who wished to replant at said gatherings could pick and choose from the available stamps (maybe via a lottery if there is more than one interested party). Original clues and info on the stamps could be wrapped up with them so that the appropriate parties could be credited.

Just an idea.

Pied Piper
Reply to: #59247 by Pied Piper
Dec 28, 2006 6:57am
Thread
Pyratemates replied to your question about retireing postals. They are the ones who have the stamp retirement program as well as the pirate relocation program (from Scurvy Pirates PLB).
Reply to: #59247 by Pied Piper
Dec 28, 2006 6:59am
Thread
There's also the great exchange coming up! GAQLBE07!!! That would work for that too.

D5 Mama
Reply to: #59255 by Smimle
Dec 28, 2006 7:06am
Thread
Okay....I'm a dunce....I didn't even THINK of that one. LOL

And, since I'm actually PARTICIPATING in it, you'd think I'd have considered it.

Jenni P McD