A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Traditional Letterboxes

Re: The Critics and Questioners
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #58465 by Kirbert
Dec 25, 2006 10:14am
Thread
Quote Then there was the letterboxer who, on the hunt for one of my boxes, whipped out his cell phone and called me up!

that's called the phone a friend method of boxing :) I have been known to do that :) Usually only if I think I'm at the spot and the box seems to be missing.. then i will call and say.. this is where I'm at.. this is where i've looked.. am I in the right spot??? All I want is a yes or no.. no further hints if it's a no.

We also tend to call my husband for clue research, directions, or to read us further clues if we forgot a box in the area. He's our "eye in the sky".

Maiden
Reply to: #58622 by Maiden
Dec 25, 2006 10:28am
Thread
I actually just had this same experience. Mizscarlet was kind enough to look up the clues for a letterbox and relate them to me over the phone, so I could find that and another of hers that was hidden in the area.

I texted her as a way of posting the fing on the second box...
Cryptex Clues
Dec 25, 2006 10:46am
Thread
Oh boy...
I am already working on a letterbox and it's clue that will be solved by using the online cryptex generator.
I am excited. I am not sure If I will release it before the event coming up in Asheville, NC or not.
I think I just may...
:)

Dixie
Reply to: #58622 by Maiden
Dec 25, 2006 11:10am
Thread
Quote the phone a friend method of boxing :) I have been known to do that :) Usually only if I think I'm at the spot and the box seems to be missing..

Yeah, I've had that happen, too -- when the guy was at the right spot, and the box was missing! But the case I was talking about was when somebody was just following the clues, calls me up as he's going, and asks which way he's supposed to go at each landmark. Like I'm supposed to talk him through each step of the hunt.

This probably has to do with our modern cell phone culture.
TFOS
Dec 25, 2006 1:22pm
Thread
Is it permitted to rave here about a particular box?
Re: TFOS
Reply to: #58644 by Big Ox and the Herd
Dec 25, 2006 1:29pm
Thread
Is it permitted to rave here about a particular box?

Yes, of course! As long as you don't give away anything about the location of the letterbox that isn't obvious from the clues and as long as you don't give away any of the "mystery" for a mystery box.

Amyrica
Reply to: #58636 by Kirbert
Dec 25, 2006 1:36pm
Thread
But how did he have your number? Is he a friend of yours? If so, you could always be a good influence and bring him boxing with you sometime and show him the ropes.

LW PhD
"Nice Counts"
FREE FOR ALL NON-PREMIUM MEMBERS
Dec 25, 2006 1:42pm
Thread
Ryan has once again generously offered a free day for all of younon=paying, (non-premium) users of Atlasquest. Appropriately enough, he has chosen Boxing Day, Dec. 26th as the day you can post your unlisted finds! Those of you who were just a few shy of having access to other clues because of your F-count can now take advantage of those types of clues...and those of you who just like your real logbook to match your online logbook as closely as possible can take advantage of this wonderful opportunity as well.

Thanks, Ryan...I know of a couple of people that may decide to cross over to the paying side once they see their F count grow. :)

LW PhD

"Nice Counts"
Re: TFOS
Reply to: #58645 by Amyrica
Dec 25, 2006 1:55pm
Thread
OK, then, you asked for it ( and I'm glad, Amyrica, that you happen to be close to it).

I'm talking about "The Three Faces of Steve" near Sewanee, Tennessee. If this is within your personal travel limit, or if circumstance ever brings you near, you have to consider this one. To begin with, the approach is one of the most beautiful drives I have ever been on. I came from very close to the center of the state, down Hwy 41. I'd tell you where we started, but it's mstrwndl's hometown, and I see that he doesn't list it on his profile. Anyway, the drive up Monteagle Mountain is just gorgeous. Then, when you get to Sewanee, you go to the place listed in the clue. The particular geological formation at this location is worth going to see without there being a box there. And, the view from it is stunning. Then, there is the clue itself. Most of mstrwndl's clues are in verse, and this one is outstanding! The stamp is equally well done. After you enjoy this find, drive on into Sewanee, one of the prettiest little towns I've ever seen (quite a few boxes around, too). This one gets my highest recommendation.

There is nothing in this post that reveals anything about this box that you cannot find by looking up the clue. Happy hunting!

J--
Re: FREE FOR ALL NON-PREMIUM MEMBERS
Reply to: #58648 by Lock Wench
Dec 25, 2006 2:49pm
Thread
I know one non-paying boxer who is about to become a premium member this week. Godsbird got some money for Christmas from other members of the fam-damily. When I asked her what she was going to do with her money, her first question was how much does it cost to be a premium member. I told her 30 dollars a year and she showed me 50 dollars. Then she asked if she had enough to be a premium member and buy some field glasses for her boxing bag. I told her, Why, sure! Then sshe wanted to know if she had enough to do both of these things and buy an outfit for a new doll she got from Santa. I told her, sure. Then she wanted to add something to that list, and I had to tell her that she was plessing the envelope. To her surprise, her Uncle gave her some field glasses for Christmas, so she has been counting her money all morning to make sure she will have enough for the outfit and the membership.
Dec 25, 2006 3:09pm
Thread
Thanks so much to Ryan. I wasnt around the last time you did this....

By the way...how do you go about listing an unlisted find?

vicki
Re: Cryptex Clues
Reply to: #58631 by Dixie
Dec 25, 2006 4:43pm
Thread
where is this generator?
Reply to: #58655 by Crazyolis
Dec 25, 2006 4:57pm
Thread
By the way...how do you go about listing an unlisted find?

vicki

The easiest way is to do a basic search for the name of the letterbox. You might think that, "since this is an unlisted letterbox, a search won't yield results!"

But it does... because other premium members might have already recorded the letterbox as an unlisted find, in which case THEY will appear in the Unlisted Boxes section of the results. There may also be a plethora of boxes with similar names, as you have the option to enter whatever you want for the name.

Even if it doesn't appear, you will (temporarily) have the option to add this box as an unlisted find.

Some people include the city and state, or the name of the park.

StarSAELS
Reply to: #58659 by the pink dragon
Dec 25, 2006 4:57pm
Thread
http://www.webcryptex.com/

Is this the generator of which you ask?

Shiloh
Unlisted Finds
Dec 25, 2006 5:10pm
Thank you Thank you Thank you..... Free Bird An I have been waiting
for awhile hoping you would generously let us add our unlisted finds
free of charge... We missed out last time..but you know, Thankyou again,we are going to become premium members at the first of the year....
Merry Christmas to you and yours
FreeBird & MamaBird
Dec 25, 2006 5:18pm
Thread
oh man, now i can get some of those "other" people in my area off my back about the number of finds i have!

rockin and rollin on christmas day
david (team new hampshire)
http://teamnewhampshire.blogspot.com
Dec 25, 2006 5:43pm
Thread
It will really help. My state only has 65 AQ boxes and 19 are mine.

Adding the LBNA boxes will get me to 97! With a road trip next week I can top the century barrier.
Reply to: #58663 by Team New Hampshire
Dec 25, 2006 6:22pm
Thread
*looking around innocently*
Reply to: #58669 by Smimle
Dec 25, 2006 6:39pm
Thread
Welcome to the darkside. :)

LW PhD
"Nice Counts"
Dec 25, 2006 6:48pm
Thread
Thank you Ryan :)
GAQE2007
Reply to: #58670 by Lock Wench
Dec 25, 2006 6:49pm
Thread
Hey Lock Wench, are you going to sign up for the great exchange?

Shiloh
Re: GAQE2007
Reply to: #58672 by shiloh
Dec 25, 2006 7:18pm
Thread
What's that?

LW PhD
"Nice Counts"
Reply to: #58677 by Lock Wench
Dec 25, 2006 7:33pm
Thread
What? you don't know about the Great Atlas Quest Exchange of 2007? *feigning disbelief* That's where two people send each other a stamp and log to plant. This is an organized *loosely :)* event. I believe it's actually listed in the events section.

Shiloh
Reply to: #58652 by mstrwndl
Dec 25, 2006 7:53pm
Thread
Yeah, and that uncle is 'bout to shuck out his thirty, also!
Reply to: #58661 by shiloh
Dec 25, 2006 9:04pm
Thread
I love this site.. todays puzzle was great... very appropriate for the puzzle.

thanks shiloh!

cam
Reply to: #58696 by Alyson Wonderland
Dec 25, 2006 9:12pm
Thread
Quote thanks shiloh!

Your welcome. I've been having trouble sending one though. Dixie says she has trouble too and the only way she can send one is to copy the link and send it regular e-mail.

Shiloh
Reply to: #58677 by Lock Wench
Dec 25, 2006 10:08pm
Thread
It's ACTUALLY GAQLBE07...but who's really keeping track?! *GRIN*

GAQLBE07 (Pronounced "Gackle-bee-07" or Great Atlas Quest Letterbox Exchange 2007) was an idea first suggested by Dixie here -- http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=56565;gThreadId=9624
More info -- http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=57906;gAuthorId=6703
The place to sign up -- http://www.atlasquest.com/lboxes/tracker/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=344

So far there are 26 people signed up! I told people to feel free to make requests as to who they get to exchange with. Shiloh was the first to request you, Lock Wench...and I told him so! *GRIN* He's hoping for a famous...infamous?...Lock Wench pin-up I believe! Please don't disappoint the poor guy! LOL

D5 Mama
Reply to: #58670 by Lock Wench
Dec 25, 2006 10:28pm
Thread
LOL...Muhuhahaha!

D5 Mama
Reply to: #58711 by Smimle
Dec 25, 2006 10:30pm
Thread
Quote It's ACTUALLY GAQLBE07...

I knew it didn't look right when I typed it...:)

Quote Shiloh was the first to request you, Lock Wench...and I told him so! *GRIN* He's hoping for a famous...infamous?...Lock Wench pin-up I believe! Please don't disappoint the poor guy! LOL

I'll wear it out stamping everything I have...*S*

Shiloh
Reply to: #58714 by shiloh
Dec 25, 2006 10:38pm
Thread
ROFLMAO....

Perhaps...for your own good...we should have you exchange with someone who's carvings are a little less risque! LOL I don't think I could stand to see a grown man cry though!!!!

D5 Mama