A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Traditional Letterboxes

Re: Another box planted ON TOP of mine?
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #937358 by Essex Explorers
Nov 2, 2016 2:22pm
Thread
So I can't even determine if this interloping box's clues would show that it was meant to be hidden in our spot, or if it was originally elsewhere.

Egypt on the Ipswich. It actually looks like Boston B's series predates your plant by several months, it was an honest mistake . . . .by you (March '09 vs July '09) You both have a good eye for locations it seems.

If they're hidden well these things can happen.
Reply to: #937368 by dingus dufus
Nov 2, 2016 2:28pm
Thread
That's the craziest thing. I know nothing was in that spot when I planted, so that's why I'm wondering if their box was mistakenly moved in the time since it was originally planted. I'm unable to see that box's clues, so I can't go back and figure out if we're supposed to be in the same exact spot or not.
Reply to: #937369 by Essex Explorers
Nov 2, 2016 2:35pm
Thread
You might not have seen the series listed as there are restrictions on it. Perhaps you have not met the "plants" minimum for the series.

I reviewed the Egypt clues and they reference your box

BONUS - WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE by Essex Explorers is in the same spot. This is a VERY busy area (this is the third placing of WONDER) so please be stealthy.

They have not logged in for a while but they seem to welcome your box as well as including in their note that their box went missing two times. That might be your answer to why the spot was empty at the time of your planting. I say coexist since they had no problem with the double booking!
Reply to: #937370 by dingus dufus
Nov 2, 2016 2:57pm
Thread
That's wonderful, thank you so much for helping me out with this! I feel much better, and will add a note to my box's clues that this box is there. And when I return next week to replace my logbook I'll see if I can find a nearby spot for my own and move it, since this other box was apparently there first, even if temporarily MIA when I planted ours. I'll have to keep on planting so that I can eventually meet the restrictions for this box - I'd love to find the entire series!
Reply to: #937370 by dingus dufus
Nov 2, 2016 3:02pm
Thread
At the risk of more criticism for my obsession on my F count, I say the more the merrier......I've put my arm under rocks in Dartmoor and come up with as many as 10 boxes......in the same location!! I was thrilled.....but I know some purists wouldn't like it so.......
Reply to: #937373 by Public Hand
Nov 2, 2016 3:08pm
Thread
Very good point, there! I'd be thrilled to go searching for a box and discover it's a two-for-one deal! I apologize for my earlier "miffed" tone, you've all helped me discover a much more positive perspective (and very politely pointed out that it looks like this other box was in fact planted first, although possibly missing around the time we planted?). It's a beautiful location - anyone local who hasn't been to the Ipswich River Wildlufe Sanctuary should really try to get there someday, it's a wonderful place!
Reply to: #937358 by Essex Explorers
Nov 2, 2016 3:41pm
Thread
Wow! Given that you're at P3 F75 X2 and can't see the other box's clue, it must have a high restriction.

Which brings up a point -> people will plant, not realizing they could be "poaching", if an existing box has been restricted. And related to that, if a person doesn't cross check on AQ & LbNA. And then, there are mystery boxes...
Reply to: #937372 by Essex Explorers
Nov 2, 2016 6:28pm
Thread
when I return next week to replace my logbook I'll see if I can find a nearby spot for my own and move it,

Initially I would agree to relocate your box nearby. But since your box is mentioned in their clue...I would leave it.

~Aurora
JMHO
Reply to: #937385 by The hicks from the sticks
Nov 3, 2016 1:53pm
Thread
Or you could move it and notify Boston B so they could change their clue.
Re: Winter weather
Reply to: #937146 by MudPuddlers
Nov 7, 2016 5:23am
Thread
Please don't pull your box for the winter!
People like myself hunt in ALL seasons; digging through the snow is just one more exciting challenge.
I've seen some LBs planted specifically for winter that hang from trees so they're very accessible.
Be creative, place for all seasons, and be sure to use the good, sturdy freezer-safe boxes and not the cheap disposable ones.

Thanks for planting!
Replacing stamp questions
Nov 13, 2016 9:19pm
Thread
If I replace a stamp/replant a box that went missing, could someone find it a second time if I reuse the original or listing? I mean, would it show up in their logbook as a second find? Or would it be better to make a whole new listing?

The image would be different and the clues/hiding spot may have to be revamped.
Re: Replacing stamp questions
Reply to: #937930 by BaliWho
Nov 13, 2016 9:35pm
Thread
I don't think you can record a second 'find' on the same listing. Every box has a unique number, and can't be found more than once. If you change the stamp, and/or revamp the location (more than just relocate due to a change in the surroundings or landmarks), you should make a new listing anyway. Different stamp, different "find".
Nov 14, 2016 4:20am
Thread
If it's a completely different image and you're moving the box, I'd retire the missing box and create a new listing for this one. Maybe call it "Box X: Version 2" or something so that people aren't confused about whether they've found it before.
Reply to: #937938 by Rocklun
Nov 14, 2016 5:43am
Thread
Thanks! That's what I thought. I was just trying to keep my plant logbook a little cleaner, if I could reuse the original listing. But, sounds like that's not the best way to go. Thanks for the input.
Nov 14, 2016 6:01am
Thread
But if you recarve the same image, and plant it near the original location, why would you change the name? Is is the same image and roughly the same location?
Reply to: #937946 by Sunia
Nov 14, 2016 6:50am
Thread
The OP says it would be a new image with revamped clues. I would create a new listing too.

In my mind (so consider the source), a listing follows a stamp. I have kept the listing for a stamp that has been moved to a completely different location. I have also listed a new box for a slightly different recarve of the same image on a different trail in the same park. I did note that the image was a replant of the original with a new stamp. I reversed the image on the second plant and it was early in my boxing so the stamps were more different than they would be if I carved the same image twice now.
What to make of this?
Nov 16, 2016 10:28am
Thread
Hopefully this post is not against any written or unwritten rules....please educate me if I am wrong.
I found this listing while doing a search and wonder if an admin should have a look at it. Hidden in 2004. Never found, no attempts recorded. That's okay. But there's no clue, and no info on what to do to find out how to get the clue (no WOM attribute for example). What's more weird is that the listing was modified last month (Oct 2016) but the owner hasn't logged in since 2006.
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=23428
Warriors Secret - I guess it really is a well kept secret.
FWIW, I did search LBNA but nothing came up.
Re: What to make of this?
Reply to: #938068 by Bon Echo
Nov 16, 2016 10:45am
Thread
I've been looking at a similar situation on a box in Singapore.....makes no sense to me on why you'd go to the effort to hide and list a box and give no detail on how to get the clue....I've sent an email to the planter but they haven't logged in since 2008 although the box was updated in 2014.
Reply to: #938068 by Bon Echo
Nov 16, 2016 11:07am
Thread
I went ahead and changed the status of the two boxes to retired so they won't continue to show up in searches. I have no idea how they were modified last month or by whom though.

TG
Reply to: #938072 by Trekkie Gal
Nov 16, 2016 2:02pm
Thread
I went ahead and changed the status of the two boxes to retired so they won't continue to show up in searches.

Sometimes finding the clues is part of the mystery, though probably not in this case.
Reply to: #938075 by dingus dufus
Nov 16, 2016 3:06pm
Thread
Before the days of reserved boxes??? Started it and didn't finish
missing boxes
Dec 10, 2016 5:35pm
Thread
I set out today to find a series of boxes that were planted in a cemetery in a neighboring town. When I found the first box, the stamp and log book were gone, replaced with a note that read, "All of your boxes have been pulled. This is a sacred area, and not the place to be playing your childish games." Has anyone else encountered anything like this?
Re: missing boxes
Reply to: #938906 by yakkman
Dec 10, 2016 5:52pm
Thread
I hope you have let the planter know. There may be other boxes at risk. I also suggest you post this on the state discussion board so others will know. We, as a community, have experienced a few other situations like this, and it's never nice.
Dec 10, 2016 6:10pm
Thread
I know many others feel differently, but I have always been uncomfortable planting in cemeteries, with the exception of boxes done in honor of a specific person buried there, notable for historical or pioneering reasons, or a writer, poet, explorer, artist, something of that nature. And in the cases of the ones I've found, the clue contained educational and interesting information about the person, and my visits were done quietly and respectfully.

Aside from such boxes, I avoid cemetery boxes, because I do think it's disrespectful to traipse around the graves, looking for random, unrelated stamps.
Dec 10, 2016 6:17pm
Thread
We've been boxing in the same area as you lately. May I ask which town or series?
Dec 10, 2016 7:49pm
Thread
not the place to be playing your childish games.

Sounds like they'd prefer people played strip poker or beer pong.
Reply to: #938908 by Wise Wanderer
Dec 10, 2016 8:13pm
Thread
I do think it's disrespectful to traipse around the graves

With all due respect to your personal beliefs (and apologies to anyone who's seen this information before), my culture makes it a regular event (generally after church on Sundays) to take a picnic, the family and some libations to the graveyard. We sit on the graves of our elders and share family stories and sometimes heartache. You always leave a little food and definitely some libation as a tribute to those who went before. We also believe that it keeps the spirits from getting bored and causing problems.

I love graveyard plants; I'm careful to chat with anyone near where I'm boxing and I love the history that you can find in particularly old cemeteries.

I always hate to see any box go missing, regardless of the reason.
Reply to: #938913 by Public Hand
Dec 10, 2016 9:34pm
Thread
We sit on the graves of our elders and share family stories and sometimes heartache. You always leave a little food and definitely some libation as a tribute to those who went before. We also believe that it keeps the spirits from getting bored and causing problems.

That has a different feel to it, particularly if you are talking about your own elders and ancestors, and it is customary to you as a way of remembering and sharing family time. What I was referring to, is people with no connection to a cemetary, planting irrelevant stamps/boxes for other strangers to find.
Reply to: #938913 by Public Hand
Dec 11, 2016 5:44am
Thread
my culture makes it a regular event (generally after church on Sundays) to take a picnic, the family and some libations to the graveyard. We sit on the graves of our elders and share family stories and sometimes heartache.

My grandparents lived across the street from a large wooded cemetery. During family events, they would send us cousins out to play and we would go across the street. My favorite game was playing "Lost in Space" where we would all be a particular character in that TV show (Penny!) and certain large tombstones would be our spaceships. The cemetery was on a big river bluff, and there was an old road going down the hill that we all wanted to sled down, but the grandparents wouldn't let us. Not because it was a cemetery, but because at the bottom was the river ice and there were currents.
Dec 11, 2016 6:03am
Thread
No, but after my cemetery box was taken, I decided not to plant more in cemeteries.