A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Postals

Re: Mystery Postal #420 is now open
Board: Postals
Reply to: #978473 by IrishRef
Aug 23, 2019 10:29am
Thread
We are still looking for two more brave souls. Be sure to use all the clues and look at them inside and out. I still find it incredible that two people got this right with one clue. I start carving tonight. Hopefully I can send it onward Monday.

Clue 6 = Subsidiary
Re: Mystery Postal #420 is now closed
Reply to: #978473 by IrishRef
Aug 23, 2019 7:13pm
Thread
We now have the ten correct solvers of the most recent mystery. Watch for the solution and explanation of clues soon.
Re: Mystery Postal #420 solution and explanation
Reply to: #978728 by IrishRef
Aug 24, 2019 3:14pm
Thread
Thanks for all that attempted guesses. Hopefully seeing these explanation will help for future attempts.

The solution is Walt Disney Company

Clues:
1 ESPN = Disney owns ESPN This also set the tone of sports related theme.
2. 4 = Disney was ranked 4th by Fortune list of world's most admired companies. Also 4th on Forbes list of world's best employer. This also continues a sports theme. Expected NCAAF championship of NCAAM final four.
3. Jackson Five Song = ABC which is another company owned by Disney
4. Fe = Felt answers were getting too obvious so had to be a little devious. This clue was to get you to Marvel which is owned by Disney. Fe is for Ironman. If you look back at the post it includes a few sentences. Included in there was the word marvel. This also led to several going for the Iron Bowl continuing the football theme.
5. Anaheim - Reference to the location of Disneyland. Was hoping the sports theme would continue with someone looking for #4 on the Angels or Ducks roster. Oh yeah the Mighty Ducks also were previously associated with Disney. Was also considering Orlando for this clue.
6. Subsidiary - This clue got you thinking about companies. Also the sentences on the post included several Pixar films. Pixar you guessed it owned by Disney.

I often comment that Amazon and Disney are taking over the world.
Reply to: #978748 by IrishRef
Aug 24, 2019 4:20pm
Thread
Excellent, I.R!
I was dancing all around it, but just could not grab it. Hoping for next time. 8~)
Reply to: #978748 by IrishRef
Aug 24, 2019 7:56pm
Thread
Oh, I was thinking "4" was for the four original "lands" at Disneyland:
Tomorrow Land
Adventureland
Frontierland
Fantasyland

:)
Help me Rhonda, Help, Help me Rhonda!
Aug 30, 2019 2:47pm
Thread
Now that I have your attention :-)

There are 3 spots left to fill my micro postal. It theme is Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs. We need three more people to join so that we can have a complete set of dwarfs plus Snow White.

Please consider joining. The tracker starts next Friday.
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10302
Re: Help me Rhonda, Help, Help me Rhonda!
Reply to: #978942 by 4 J's
Aug 30, 2019 3:44pm
Thread
Slightly dissapointed it's not Alf. ;)
Re: Help me Rhonda, Help, Help me Rhonda!
Reply to: #978942 by 4 J's
Aug 30, 2019 4:46pm
Thread
We need three more people to join so that we can have a complete set of dwarfs plus Snow White.

Please join! I like feeling complete. Also, Grumpy will be extra grumpy if he's not with the other six dwarfs and Snow White.
Does size matter?
Sep 14, 2019 6:46pm
Thread
Hi all! I am doing my first postal tracker this month and I am excited and stressed at the same time! I want to do things the right way so I have read everything I can find about postals. The one thing I am most worried about is the size of my stamp! Is there a standard size for most postal stamps? Mine turned out a bit larger than I planned. It’s around 4.5”x3.5” I didn’t see any rules in the tracker about size, but I wanted to ask to make sure. Also, any tips you veterans may have for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!
Re: Does size matter?
Reply to: #979431 by Bama Beach Bum
Sep 14, 2019 8:04pm
Thread
Hi! Generally I think size does not matter. That being said I would put on the information about the postal the size of the stamp so people have an idea what they are getting into (size can make a difference for weight which can influence the cost of postage).

Something to consider...occasionally there is a "newbie postal ring" (or something like that). Designed specifically so folks who are new to postals can be guided and learn about the general etiquette. (Up to you, if you would like to participate, of course :) ).

I think the main thing is...have fun! (I'm excited for you!)
I hope you have a fun day!!!
-PLP
Reply to: #979432 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Sep 14, 2019 10:04pm
Thread
Thank you for the suggestions! I sent a message to the host to make sure the size was ok :)
Reply to: #979433 by Bama Beach Bum
Sep 15, 2019 4:51am
Thread
Good move to ask tracker owner. That should always be your default move. Tge only problem with size is weight. Each ounce increases the mailing costs. You shoukd try to keep it under i think 13 ounces. At that point it jumps to priority mail.
Sep 15, 2019 7:28am
Thread
Does size matter?

What's all this I see about "does size matter"!! This is a family activity!!! There is an adult board for such vulgarly!!
Reply to: #979440 by Miss Emily Litella
Sep 15, 2019 7:29am
Thread
Emily, Emily! People are talking about the size of the stamps they are carving and nothing else!
Reply to: #979441 by Chevy Chase
Sep 15, 2019 7:30am
Thread
Oh, that's something entirely different . . . . . never mind.
Sep 15, 2019 2:33pm
Thread
I would like to add that since it is going in the mail, be also mindful of the size and weight of your logbook, which can up the mailing costs. If the postal is only going to 10 people, there is no reason to make a logbook that has a hundred index cards in it.
Reply to: #979452 by JampersandJ
Sep 15, 2019 6:07pm
Thread
That’s what I thought as well! I did make a thin logbook, because of the amount of people in the ring. Thank you all for being so helpful!!