A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Postals

Re: Mystery Postal #OK2019A
Board: Postals
Reply to: #971398 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 14, 2019 2:49am
Thread
This is the second to last (penultimate) clue. The tracker is technically full, but I want to finish my clues since I'm so close.

Clue 15: Sagan
Reply to: #971438 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 15, 2019 12:26am
Thread
Okay, final clue. This one should hopefully give you what you need.

Clue 16: Stalag
Reply to: #971481 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 16, 2019 1:16pm
Thread
This mystery postal is now closed. It was certainly different being on this side of the mystery. You were probably frustrated at the beginning by the numbers. As you'll see throughout my explanation, I could have used a whole lot more numbers. However, it is now time to reveal the meanings of the clues.

The answer is "The Great Escape".

1. 50: Both the book and film were dedicated to the fifty who were executed (murdered) after being recaptured, contrary to the Geneva Convention on the treatment of prisoners of war. Hitler had wanted them all killed, but his generals talked him out of that.
  2. 76: There were 76 prisoners (of the planned 220) who successfully made it away from the prisoner of war camp. Of those, 3 eventually made it to Commonwealth countries. 73 were recaptured, and 23 returned to prisoner of war camps.
  3. 75: The night of 24/25 March 1944 was when the Great Escape occurred, so this year marks the 75th anniversary of the escape. When I recently saw the film on television, I thought that this would be a great subject of my first mystery postal. When I started investigating the subject for clues, I found out that this was the 75th anniversary so I knew that I had to do it.
  4. Harry: Harry was the code name of the tunnel used for the actual escape. It was started in hut 104 under a stove. In the film, this was the one in the drain sump.
  5. Poland: The camp was within the pre-war borders of Germany, but is now in Poland.
  6. New moon: The escape was timed for the new moon so that the prisoners would have the best chance of getting away from the camp.
  7. Tom: Tom was the tunnel originally planned for the escape. It was started in hut 123 next to a stove chimney. In the film this tunnel began under a stove. It is unknown how the actual tunnel was discovered.
  8. Roger: Roger Bushell, also known as "Big X", was the organizer of the Great Escape. He threatened to court martial anyone who uttered the word "tunnel".
  9. Dick: Dick was the third tunnel dug for the purpose of the Great Escape. It was dug in the shower drain of hut 122. In the film the entrance to this tunnel was not shown. Work on it was stopped when camp expansion began where Dick was going to surface.
  10. Cooler: At least in the film, Steve McQueen's character ended up in the "Cooler" (solitary confinement) multiple times.
  11. Air Force: The Great Escape was planned by prisoners from the Royal Air Force, the air force of the British and Commonwealth countries.
  12. Book: "The Great Escape" (book) was written by Paul Brickhill, an Australian who was in the camp. The book was published in 1950.
  13. Film: The film is a highly retelling of the events of the book. It was released in 1963. I have seen it before, but seeing in again earlier this year prompted me to make this mystery postal.
  14. Tunnel: Tom, Dick and Harry were the code names of the three tunnels planned for the Great Escape. After discovery, the prisoners started digging another tunnel named George. It wasn't finished before the camp was liberated by Soviet forces in January 1945.
  15. Sagan: Sagan is the German name for the town closest to the prisoner of war camp. It is now called Żagań, in Poland.
  16. Stalag: Stalag Luft III is short for Stammlager Luft III; literally "Main Camp, Air, III". This was the site of the Great Escape. This stalag consisted of multiple compounds. The Great Escape took place from the North Compound, where British and Commonwealth prisoners were held.

FYI: "The Wooden Horse" is the account of another escape of 2 prisoners from this same compound. It was made into a film released in 1950. I read the book in junior or high school as an assignment.

This was fun for me. I hope that it was fun for you too. I look forward to doing another and for the next one by IrishRef.
Reply to: #971584 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 16, 2019 1:38pm
Thread
A very fine first effort at mystery postals! I look forward to more from both you and Irish Ref.
Do you ever send markers or ink?
Feb 18, 2019 7:48pm
Thread
I'm considering sending specific markers with a postal. It's a book postal, so it will already be a little on the heavy side, but I don't think the markers would add significant weight.

Does anyone ever do this? Any problems, did they go missing or get damaged?
Re: Do you ever send markers or ink?
Reply to: #971748 by BaliWho
Feb 19, 2019 3:56am
Thread
I dont send markers.
Feb 19, 2019 4:51am
Thread
I was in a swap once where they were worried ppl may not have silver and gold so they sent ink pads with it.
Feb 19, 2019 12:46pm
Thread
I've personally received postals with ink pads in it.. I didn't have a problem with it.. but I'd check with the members and host of the tracker, just to make sure they didn't mind..
Feb 19, 2019 5:15pm
Thread
I have on occasion sent markers or ink for postals that I wanted to ensure the right colors were used (with no issues). The ink/markers came back just as I sent them every time. If it doesn’t change the postage rate I don’t think it’s necessary to ask the group.
Feb 20, 2019 7:12am
Thread
Send them in a baggie. :)

~Aurora
.... markerless
Feb 20, 2019 5:55pm
Thread
I'm intrigued that there are specific colors to use on your stamp. Luckily I'm in the ring and will get to see what you came up with. 🖍
Naked what now?
Mar 3, 2019 4:53am
Its that time again for a little Naked Mail fun! We are set to begin in July - firm start date, no extensions.
Find all the info you need here:
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10167
Postal Mystery #419 is now open
Mar 14, 2019 10:05pm
Thread
Another mystery postal has been posted. Check out the tracker at:

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10183

For those who are new to mystery postals and for those who need a refresher the rules follow.

To get this postal you will have to guess the theme/name/subject of the stamp. Clues will be posted on the postal boards and on this tracker. I will try and post one per day. For each clue posted each person may make one guess prior to the next clue being posted.

Guesses should be sent to IrishRef via AQMail, not posted on the boards! Guesses will only be accepted from AQ members through AQMail.

Even if you have no clue take a guess anyway. Half the enjoyment is seeing the range of incorrect answers and how people connected clues for those guesses. You will only get a response from IR if you: A. Have the correct answer, B. Are very close or I need to clarify your guess, or C. Your guess peaks my fancy.

This one may be a little more challenging and is dedicated to my son. Will explain that one with the results. I anticipate that this will either come quickly around clue four or could be rather frustrating. In this one you still need to use all the clues, but the answers will then be used to come up with the real theme/topic. I will re-evaluate based on the responses through clue 8. If this isn't clicking a second round of clarifying clues will be given.

The first 10 members correctly guessing will be notified by AQMail. Tracker order will typically be determined by order correct answer receipt (Exception to this are international winners who will be at the end of the tracker). The correct answer with how each clue is related will be posted once the postal is full.

Good Luck!

Clues:
1. Primary colors
Re: Postal Mystery #419 is now open
Reply to: #972715 by IrishRef
Mar 16, 2019 12:26pm
Thread
Clue 2 = Hyrdogen
Reply to: #972759 by IrishRef
Mar 16, 2019 1:56pm
Thread
hydrogen??
Reply to: #972762 by foxfriend
Mar 17, 2019 5:51am
Thread
If you have a question or guess, please contact me via AQmail.
Mar 17, 2019 9:30am
Thread
Clue 3 = canopic jars.

Clue 2 correction. Hydrogen was the real clue. It was unintentionally mispelled. This is important to clarify as misspelled words can be an additional layer of clues. Thanks to foxfriend and jampersandj.
New postal
Mar 18, 2019 7:05am
New postal added today
Tracker #10186
Mar 18, 2019 10:48am
Thread
Pleased to announce that one participant has successfully named the theme of the stamp.

Clue 4 = Loneliest
Mar 19, 2019 7:53am
Thread
Clue 5 = Chanel
Mar 20, 2019 10:37am
Thread
Clue 6 = Curse of Scotland
Mar 22, 2019 4:20am
Thread
Sorry for the missed clue yesterday.

Clue 7 = Janus
Mar 23, 2019 11:18pm
Thread
The next clue is incests.
Reply to: #973187 by IrishRef
Mar 24, 2019 2:52am
Thread
as in multiple "incest" occurrences?
Reply to: #973195 by Grrly Girl
Mar 24, 2019 6:41am
Thread
I think this should be "insects". 😳
Reply to: #973187 by IrishRef
Mar 24, 2019 8:08am
Thread
Yes it is supposed to be insects. Sorry for confusion
Reply to: #973213 by IrishRef
Mar 24, 2019 9:13am
Thread
More concerned than confused.
You don't want to know where my mind went.
Space open in postal
Mar 25, 2019 10:03am
We still have 6 spots open in a micro postal looking for people.
Tracker #10186
Mystery Postal #419 NEW round of clues
Mar 25, 2019 10:09am
Thread
There were six correct answers to this theme. Continuing on the original course most likely will not yield any other correct answers. So I will now give an additional clue that pairs with the original ones. The next clue will be 1A which combined with clue 1 may help with the answer.

I will to 2A and 3A if needed.

Clue 1 was primary colors
Clue 1A = Valknut

Enjoy!
Re: Mystery Postal #419 NEW round of clues
Reply to: #973315 by IrishRef
Mar 26, 2019 12:17pm
Thread
Two more clues left:

2. was Hyrdogen
2A. = Unicycle