A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Postals

Re: Tips on how to start a postal ring
Board: Postals
Reply to: #964070 by Gumbies
Aug 19, 2018 2:21am
Thread
Good luck with your project. I will be happy to help.
Is there a postal ring to join?
Aug 19, 2018 5:49am
Thread
Where do I find a postal ring to join?
Interested & best way to learn is through experience.
Re: Is there a postal ring to join?
Reply to: #964074 by All 4 Bama
Aug 19, 2018 7:16am
Thread
Activate the newest tracker widget on your my page. You can set it to just show postals. As new ones are planted they appear in the widget.
Newbie Postal Ring Available
Aug 19, 2018 8:15am
I have just created a postal ring for newbies. Check out the tracker information at the link below. To signup send an AQmail to IrishRef of your interest in joining. Restricted to AQ members with less than 11 postal finds. Must include a mailing address and an alternative e-mail address.

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?trackerId=9937
Re: Cutting stamps to micro
Reply to: #963634 by BetsyLee
Aug 23, 2018 4:22am
Thread
I don't exactly know what a micro postal is... but I do however log micro stamps aka quisps to hide behind labels on my postals. It encourages people to corner the labels and gives a nice added surprise for the receiver. I was ubber excited when I first found one! I actually have been working on some micro stamps for my first postal I'm about to send out. So exciting!
Re: Cutting stamps to micro
Reply to: #964274 by Gumbies
Aug 23, 2018 9:04am
Thread
The common usage of micro-postal is referring to a postal that can be sent in a regular envelope with a forever stamp. To accomplish this the entire envelope and contents has to be at or below an ounce. There is also a thickness measurement on the envelope. To participate in these you need to carve shallow and remove half the thickness of the pink stuff. I believe is 1/4 of an inch.

This certainly removes two negatives of traditional parcels. The cost is reduced from $3.50 to regular postage and you don't have to deal with the taping and maintenance of the padded envelopes.

You could still do a quisp but it may not be found as the envelopes are typically thrown away, using a clean one each time.
Marauder's Map Relaunch
Aug 31, 2018 6:12pm
Thread
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to start a postal soon and relaunch my Marauder's map postal with all the new stamps that were added the last time. I am having a hard time locating it right now, I hate when I put something in a safe place so I won't lose it...lol.

I'm hoping there will be interest. This postal hasn't been sent out in a few years.

More information to follow
Re: Marauder's Map Relaunch
Reply to: #964717 by The Mischievous Four
Aug 31, 2018 9:08pm
Thread
Definitely interested in it here!
Aug 31, 2018 10:52pm
Thread
Me, me!
Sep 1, 2018 2:09am
Thread
I'm hoping there will be interest

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.
Reply to: #964721 by Johnsosaurus
Sep 1, 2018 10:20am
Thread
Oh my gosh yes! I got this in June of 2014, would love to see what this has been up to. Back when I got it, I made a color copy of your map and placed it in a plastic sleeve in my logbook. It’s still there with my “footprints”!
Sep 1, 2018 12:45pm
Thread
Please let us know when we can sign up!!
Sep 1, 2018 7:27pm
Thread
Looks like it posted so I just joined. Here is the link for those interested:
Marauder's map
Reply to: #964747 by MrOspital
Sep 1, 2018 8:57pm
Thread
I just posted a little while ago and was fine tuning it. Thank you for posting the link!
Sep 2, 2018 8:24am
Thread
Interested, but I can't see it? Are there restrictions?
Sep 3, 2018 3:53am
Thread
I haven't done a postal for a while, and would love to get back into it, so would love to get in on Marauder's Map! I also have a few postals that newbies haven't gotten yet, and would be willing to send back out.
I will be moving in a few weeks, so would have to be down on the list, unless Brockbrood would be willing to share postals with me. I am moving 4 houses down from her!
Sep 4, 2018 7:09am
Thread
That filled up FAST!! LOL!
Faces of Jack 2018
Sep 4, 2018 7:37pm
I have an opening in this postal tracker. https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?trackerId=9778
New postal ring- Fall Fun
Sep 10, 2018 9:00pm
Thread
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=9967

Please join me in some fall postal fun.
Re: New postal ring- Fall Fun
Reply to: #965158 by BaliWho
Sep 11, 2018 6:37pm
Thread
Oooooooh, shoot! It’s already full? I’ve been wanting to get into a postal ring too. Please remember me if anyone backs out. 😕. Unless you can take an 11th person....🧐. Can’t hurt to ask. 🙂
Re: New postal ring- Fall Fun
Reply to: #965205 by Nurse Wanderseek
Sep 11, 2018 7:17pm
Thread
I added you. I was thinking 12, but wondered if that would take too long? I wouldn't want it to go through Christmas!

I revised it to 12, so 1 space left!
The Great Johnsosaurus Migration
Sep 13, 2018 5:12pm
Thread
Johnsosaurus is migrating! Contact me if you'd like my new address for your records or just want to send me trading cards to help decorate my new place ;)
Re: The Great Johnsosaurus Migration
Reply to: #965292 by Johnsosaurus
Sep 13, 2018 7:49pm
Thread
Yes please send the new address.
Micro-postal material
Sep 15, 2018 10:02am
Thread
Good news for those who enjoy micro-postals!! The first test material Stampeaz sent out (in the search that ended up with Tan-Z) is gray, and VERY thin. She has the remaining pieces listed in her store. I just used it on a decent-sized stamp, 1.25" X 2.25", and my finished micro-postal with logbook, return address labels, envelope, etc. came in at .88oz, WITHOUT shaving the stamp down at all. No more cutting, splitting, shaving, trying to get it even and reasonably smooth! :-)
Re: Micro-postal material
Reply to: #965367 by Wise Wanderer
Sep 16, 2018 3:43pm
Thread
I've got some Jack Richeson unmounted easy-to-cut lino that's 1/8 inch thick. The only downside is that you can't "stamp" like you normally would. You have to have the ink side facing up and lay your paper on top, and then burnish the paper to get a good transfer.

It would work great for mailing, though. It's pretty light.
Reply to: #965367 by Wise Wanderer
Sep 17, 2018 7:26am
Thread
Thanks so much for posting this, my order has just been placed and confirmed. Can't wait to sink my knife into it. I just finished a micro carving this morning on pink, spending more time on the back than the front.
Reply to: #965446 by Jabber
Sep 17, 2018 8:00am
Thread
Can't wait to sink my knife into it.

Disclaimer: I'm a gouge-carver, so I don't know how this material carves with a knife. Hope it works for you, as it's really nice to be able to use it "as is".
Postal patches
Oct 7, 2018 5:40pm
Thread
I'm almost out of postal patches; there are eight left. Contact me if you're interested.
Re: Postal patches
Reply to: #966501 by paper trail
Oct 8, 2018 4:50am
Thread
I would like one, if you still have them.
Re: Postal patches
Reply to: #966501 by paper trail
Oct 8, 2018 8:41am
Thread
All eight are spoken for; thanks for your interest.