A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas

Re: Where to leave a hitchhiker
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #978383 by The Mischievous Four
Aug 15, 2019 5:39pm
Thread
Bama Beach Bum and I made our 1st HH hostel & stocked it with a traditional stamp & a few starter HHs. After only being out 6 months & in a good park location, in the woods bordering the river, low & behold the park people decide to do a MAJOR park redo. They brought in a Bobcat & cleaned all the underbrush about 150 foot in the woods.
Yep, you guessed it. Our 1st hostel was a casualty of park expansion. Sadly, no idea which HHs were in it.
But, we persevere & plan another hostel. Maybe it will fair better.
Super Bowl 2011: The Packers HH makes it to Green Bay!
Sep 24, 2019 7:32am
Thread
Super Bowl 2011: The Packers HH makes it to Green Bay!
It was released on April 2, 2011 in Greenville, SC.
Yesterday it was found in Green Bay, WI.
It took it almost 8 and a half years to find its way there!

So you may lose touch with your HH, but never fear, it may show up & show up where it was intended to go. Just took a long time getting there!
Re: Super Bowl 2011: The Packers HH makes it to Green Bay!
Reply to: #979684 by J Walkers
Sep 24, 2019 12:57pm
Thread
Our letterboxing group found it yesterday in a cemetery box. We are from all over the country doing a tour of Door County. You will be getting more finds for this HH, if they haven’t already logged their finds.
HH mystery
Oct 15, 2019 12:59pm
Thread
I cannot remember where I picked it up, but I just found a HH in my extra stamps named "Butter beer". But wherever and whenever I came across it, it had no logbook, or any other way of identifying it. I must have just taken it, hoping to find its owner eventually.
Any suggestions about what I should do with it. It is a handcarved stamp of a beer mug 2x2 1/2". Looks like it has been stamped many times.
It may have a Harry Potter relationship. It looks like that image.
Re: HH mystery
Reply to: #980309 by KatieKat
Oct 15, 2019 5:30pm
Thread
Help with a HH
Jan 2, 2020 1:30pm
Thread
Stamped into a local box today and found a hitchhiker inside. See, this usually wouldn’t be a problem - except in my case, I’ve searched up the HH on AQ and there have been no traces of it on the site. When searched, the trail name cited as the owner of the HH doesn’t pull anything up either. There haven’t been many entries, and the last date is rather smudged but I believe it was entered in July of 2017.
Not sure what to do - drop it off in my next find and enter it in my physical logbook, or try to contact the owner? If it helps any, the HH is called “3 of Aces,” and was created by “Miss Sunshine.”
Re: Help with a HH
Reply to: #982184 by jaguarpaws
Jan 2, 2020 2:02pm
Thread
Some people don't log all of their HH plants on AQ, or even have an AQ account at all. So just stamp it in your logbook and move it along.

TG
Reply to: #982185 by Trekkie Gal
Jan 2, 2020 3:06pm
Thread
Ah alright. Thanks for clearing that up, I kind of had that in the back of my mind but just wanted to make sure.
Jan 2, 2020 3:28pm
Thread
Every time I see a thread where someone is trying to identify a HH, I get a little bit excited. The one and only HH I ever planted, 10 years ago, was found once, and I was told it would be taken to the east coast (from WA) and re-hidden there. That was the last I ever heard of it . . . but hope springs eternal, as they say. :*)
Reply to: #982189 by Wise Wanderer
Jan 2, 2020 5:24pm
Thread
I am on the east coast, so maybe I’ll come across it!
Jan 2, 2020 6:42pm
Thread
I checked LbNA for either the HH name or the boxer's name and was unable to find them.

Lynn
Reply to: #982189 by Wise Wanderer
Jan 3, 2020 8:02am
Thread
Every time I see a thread where someone is trying to identify a HH, I get a little bit excited. The one and only HH I ever planted, 10 years ago, was found once, and I was told it would be taken to the east coast (from WA) and re-hidden there. That was the last I ever heard of it . . . but hope springs eternal, as they say. :*)

Same thing happened with my 1st HH in 2012. It was found here in Las Vegas and went to Connecticut. I haven't heard a peep since. Oh well, maybe one day we'll get that special notification WW!
Reply to: #982212 by Trishee
Jan 4, 2020 6:41am
Thread
I launched a number of HHs in the early 2000’s but I rarely got any find reports so I lost heart and don’t do them anymore.

Warrior Woman
sad
Reply to: #982251 by Warrior Woman
Jan 4, 2020 9:53am
Thread
The same thing happened to me, Warrior Woman.
Reply to: #982251 by Warrior Woman
Jan 5, 2020 8:28am
Thread
I hope you find renewed hope Warrior Woman! I found a HH stuck somewhere for 9 years! And I’m currently sitting on another old feller until I find an appropriate size box with more action to help it get back into circulation.
Reply to: #982212 by Trishee
Jan 13, 2020 6:16am
Thread
onl;y planted 1 HH and it has never been found

alas
Re: recording hitchhikers
Reply to: #524926 by SpyCat
Jan 16, 2020 5:35pm
Thread
Which HH? I box in NY and have might have found it.
Unidentified HH and planter
Jan 22, 2020 8:12pm
Thread
I picked up a HH today called "En Pointe HH" by Kris10_17. I can't find hide nor hair of that HH nor the planter on either AQ or LbNA. Is that common?
Re: Unidentified HH and planter
Reply to: #982779 by Kirbert
Jan 22, 2020 8:23pm
Thread
You must be new. Lol

But yeah, people post the same thing ALL the time. Sometimes I wonder if people even know they can list HHs.
Reply to: #982780 by MissMoon
Jan 22, 2020 8:53pm
Thread
Not listing the HH doesn't surprise me. Not listing themselves, though, is weird.
Reply to: #982781 by Kirbert
Jan 23, 2020 5:16am
Thread
It could have been launched by a child associated with a parent's account... lots of time that happens here. The kid's account is never created - but the parents give their child trailnames… Christopher's was mini mud... but he doesn't have an account and I don't have a subaccount for him... which is good - because he wants nothing to do with letterboxing now unless I threaten him no dinner :)
Reply to: #982781 by Kirbert
Jan 23, 2020 7:36am
Thread
Not listing the HH doesn't surprise me. Not listing themselves, though, is weird.

This is true.

I did two HHs when I first started boxing and then realized most of them seemed to fall into black holes never to be seen again so I never did another one.
Reply to: #982779 by Kirbert
Jan 23, 2020 7:47am
Thread
I believe you are looking for this HH https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=262016

Kris10_17 is aka MissAdventure
Reply to: #982789 by reggicat
Jan 24, 2020 4:54am
Thread
wow. glad it found its way from snowy Massachusetts to the sunny climes of Florida.
HH protocol
Feb 8, 2020 7:22am
Thread
I found a HH last week

i am about to plant a new series

question:
is it okay to put my found HH into a brand new plant

or should i save to next LB trip and put in an existing LB

thx
Dixie Darlin'
aka Kathy
Re: HH protocol
Reply to: #983284 by dixie darlin
Feb 8, 2020 7:43am
Thread
Go ahead and put it in your new plant. Nothing wrong with that at all! HH are meant to move.

:)
Feb 8, 2020 9:12am
Thread
I start new boxes with either a hitchhiker or LTC.
Feb 8, 2020 1:23pm
Thread
I agree - put it in your new plant! That's what I like to do too. Kind of a reward!
Reply to: #983293 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 8, 2020 5:43pm
Thread
I start new boxes with either a hitchhiker or LTC.

That is a great idea...I've done the HH in my new boxes, but not the LTC's...thanks for the idea!
Reply to: #983301 by Pumpkin Gal
Feb 9, 2020 4:05pm
Thread
Could make a first finders LTC in the box. Like a certificate but an LTC or LTCoin.

Condo