A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas

Re: Are you supposed to at least say what state the HH was found
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #976801 by MamaZuke
Jun 30, 2019 3:08pm
Thread
Well, after reading this I went back and checked the HH's I've found (only 2) and sure enough, I hadn't indicated where they'd been found. I guess it didn't occur to me since I've never noted where I found previous boxes (for obvious reasons, of course) but also because I wrote in the logbook where I found it. I just never thought it through all the way that the HH owner wouldn't get the info from the logbook anytime soon, and that logging the host box at the same time as the HH wouldn't connect them for the HH owner in any way. So it's not that people don't care or aren't interested. It's just that the "found" location is automatic on other boxes so it's not something we are used to passing along. (Speaking as a relative newbie. Other people might have other reasons)
Languishing hitchhikers
Jun 30, 2019 6:09pm
Thread
We, my grandkids and I, found a hitchhiker yesterday that was originally planted in 2010 but apparently was held hostage for 5 years before being replanted. It didn’t come up in a search of it’s name. The documentation in the log was very confusing and I can only guess where it has been the last 3 years or so.
We will replant it but no doubt the 10 year old girl who planted it is most likely in college now and beyond caring where her hitchhiker has gone and is now.
Re: Languishing hitchhikers
Reply to: #976846 by Zapster77
Jul 1, 2019 4:35am
Thread
Maybe. But I bet she popped in from time to time to see where it was. That was the first thing my daughter and I did was look for our HHs. We got notifications of 3, but put out a bunch.

Was disappointed when we found out that some people toss them. At events, hitch hikers, cooties, and travellers are supposed to be a fun way of including people and maybe a neat type of ice breaker, but to throw out someone's hard work is not cool.
Jul 1, 2019 5:31am
Thread
I have found it fun to channel the Nancy Drew within to sort out HH problems I’ve found. I connected with nice boxers by doing this too.
Reply to: #976849 by SeerMeesh
Jul 1, 2019 7:09am
Thread
Was disappointed when we found out that some people toss them.

Oh God! Why??? I can understand if some people dont want to participate, but to purposefully toss? This breaks my heart.
Jul 1, 2019 7:12am
Thread
10 year old girl who planted it is most likely in college now and beyond caring where her hitchhiker has gone and is now.

I think sometimes boxes become an entity all on their own, apart from the boxer who planted it. Boxes bring joy to those of us that find them regardless if the owner is around to care &/or maintain them. I think this goes for HH as well. I get tickled everytime I find one.
Reply to: #976853 by LadyRisa
Jul 1, 2019 8:09am
Thread
They just dont want to deal with them. I'm thinking my next event will have a HH charity box. If you dont want them or have no good home for them, you put them in the charity box and another boxer who wants - like me - can pass them into a box that is frequently found or larger to accommodate and things can be sent along.
Reply to: #976856 by SeerMeesh
Jul 1, 2019 1:19pm
Thread
I’ve said it once and will say it again...we need a National HH Day to clean out bags where the cooties lurk.
Jul 1, 2019 4:20pm
Thread
HH charity box

I like this idea.
Jul 1, 2019 6:14pm
Thread
Last week we heard from a HH of ours that had been stuck since 2010 in a fore lorn box. It was a happy time to hear the HH was still alive, while its host box was worse for the wear.
Jul 2, 2019 5:04pm
Thread
I have a 'charity box' for hitchhikers. It is my Hitchhiker Hostel, Trapped in a Hostel in Maine (#263787). Leave one, take one (or more) and you get to stamp up the special Hostel stamp carved by Mudflinginfools.
Reply to: #976926 by Teacup
Jul 2, 2019 6:53pm
Thread
Do you carry this Hostel with you? Or just take it to events? Pretty cool idea.
Reply to: #976926 by Teacup
Jul 2, 2019 9:01pm
Thread
I'm cool with HHH, but even those sometimes are passed over for years. This would be at an event.
Reply to: #976929 by BinoBoxer
Jul 3, 2019 2:14am
Thread
I bring it to events and between events, attempt to plant any that are in the hostel. Hitchhikers seem to languish in Maine winters. :)
Jul 3, 2019 6:32am
Thread
I am a HH charity box ^_^

... that tends to log them late because they get handed to me and in the moment, I forget!
Where to leave a hitchhiker
Jul 30, 2019 5:27pm
Thread
What factors, if any, do you use when choosing which box to leave a hitchhiker in?

I’ve had two hitchhikers with me for about a month and a half, and I was only recently able to leave one of them at a box. I’d come across other letterboxes before then, but many of them were too small. Ones that were large enough to comfortably fit the hitchhiker I didn’t want to use because the boxes hadn’t been found recently, or there was water inside, or it was close to where I left another hitchhiker.

So I guess my considerations are 1) Box size, 2) Box traffic, 3) Box location, and 4) Condition of the box itself. Am I overthinking this? Should I just leave my final hitchhiker in the next box I find, or continue being deliberate in where I drop it off?
Re: Where to leave a hitchhiker
Reply to: #977869 by Bandit Raccoon
Jul 30, 2019 5:58pm
Thread
You have most of the same thoughts that we have had over the years. Traffic and frequency are not as important. Size and condition of the box are real keys to leaving a Hitch Hiker. We have had some HH's that we had for almost a year before we found the right place.
Jul 30, 2019 7:21pm
Thread
So I guess my considerations are 1) Box size, 2) Box traffic, 3) Box location, and 4) Condition of the box itself.

I agree with all of those. The only thing I might add is this - if I expect to be traveling a good distance away reasonably soon, I will try to choose a box farther from where it was found, rather than a nearby box in the same area. It's my goal to get the hitchhiker as well-traveled as possible.
Jul 31, 2019 8:23am
Thread
I'm working through the same debate. I have two HH's that need to start moving again, but I haven't found the right place.

I've had some thoughts that maybe I should just start a new HH hostel, and have them become, along with my own carve, the kickoff stamps. That way I can ensure they're in a box that's of appropriate size, and I also can monitor the condition of the box going forward.

I guess I just feel a bit responsible to take good care of these stamps until I know they're in someone else's possession. Am I taking the wrong thought approach?
Reply to: #977890 by measiwitch
Jul 31, 2019 6:17pm
Thread
I think when you find the right place, you'll leave a HH. The problem with hostels is that they become dumping grounds for HHs. I have a friend that stopped boxing for a few years and I grabbed some HHs from her collection and have been sending them along. One that I found, she had from 10 years ago. The owner was happy to hear that their stamp was still out there!!
Reply to: #977912 by Phoenix Rizing
Aug 1, 2019 4:38am
Thread
Any one wanting to Ditch a H/H by Snail Mail.......J Cross ( Cross family)would be Happy to Accept Any.......I might Not be able to pass them on Extremely Fast, but they would be in great hands and Eventually Move on. ..one reason or another I have a passion for Hitch Hikers!!
Reply to: #977912 by Phoenix Rizing
Aug 1, 2019 8:12am
Thread
Phoenix Rizing wrote:
The problem with hostels is that they become dumping grounds for HHs. I have a friend that stopped boxing for a few years and I grabbed some HHs from her collection and have been sending them along.

I admit... that gives me a little "ooh, then I might see more HH's!" excitement. I was thinking about having an "innkeeper" stamp that remains in the box, while the travelers will come and go as they will. Ones that stall will get moved along by me.

I know I'll find the right places for them eventually. They stay in my backpack as I explore, and eventually they'll get cozy in a new box.

As a side note, I'm always interested in receiving them - so if you need to offload them, drop me a line. :)
Reply to: #977920 by measiwitch
Aug 1, 2019 5:18pm
Thread
An "Innkeeper" sounds very interesting! 👍🥾
Reply to: #977920 by measiwitch
Aug 2, 2019 10:56am
Thread
I have a HH Hostel with an traditional stamp inside. Our HH Hostel has been very active for several years. We always have it available at our Homerdoodle Events and we take it to some away events as well. This allows people to put one, two, or three HHs into the hostel and take different ones away. For some people, they do drop off HHs that they have not placed. This allows the HHs to remain active and not become dormant.

Homer Lake HH Hostel AQ #247350

It has been a fun venture to see so many HHs and to see where the HHs have traveled. Feel free to contact me if you wish more information.

TeachJR
Reply to: #977953 by TeachJR
Aug 15, 2019 1:24pm
Thread
I love this idea. I thought about making a HH Hostel and asking our local coffee shop or another local library if we could place it there. I wanted to do a box stamp with it and love the idea of calling it an innkeeper, Great word!
Reply to: #978383 by The Mischievous Four
Aug 15, 2019 5:39pm
Thread
Bama Beach Bum and I made our 1st HH hostel & stocked it with a traditional stamp & a few starter HHs. After only being out 6 months & in a good park location, in the woods bordering the river, low & behold the park people decide to do a MAJOR park redo. They brought in a Bobcat & cleaned all the underbrush about 150 foot in the woods.
Yep, you guessed it. Our 1st hostel was a casualty of park expansion. Sadly, no idea which HHs were in it.
But, we persevere & plan another hostel. Maybe it will fair better.
Super Bowl 2011: The Packers HH makes it to Green Bay!
Sep 24, 2019 7:32am
Thread
Super Bowl 2011: The Packers HH makes it to Green Bay!
It was released on April 2, 2011 in Greenville, SC.
Yesterday it was found in Green Bay, WI.
It took it almost 8 and a half years to find its way there!

So you may lose touch with your HH, but never fear, it may show up & show up where it was intended to go. Just took a long time getting there!
Re: Super Bowl 2011: The Packers HH makes it to Green Bay!
Reply to: #979684 by J Walkers
Sep 24, 2019 12:57pm
Thread
Our letterboxing group found it yesterday in a cemetery box. We are from all over the country doing a tour of Door County. You will be getting more finds for this HH, if they haven’t already logged their finds.
HH mystery
Oct 15, 2019 12:59pm
Thread
I cannot remember where I picked it up, but I just found a HH in my extra stamps named "Butter beer". But wherever and whenever I came across it, it had no logbook, or any other way of identifying it. I must have just taken it, hoping to find its owner eventually.
Any suggestions about what I should do with it. It is a handcarved stamp of a beer mug 2x2 1/2". Looks like it has been stamped many times.
It may have a Harry Potter relationship. It looks like that image.
Re: HH mystery
Reply to: #980309 by KatieKat
Oct 15, 2019 5:30pm
Thread