Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas

Re: Do you find HH's are pretty much ignored?
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #976289 by MamaZuke
Jun 12, 2019 7:03pm
Thread
I LOVE HH! I am still pretty new at letterboxing, so I have no problem finding boxes to move them along to. I have a few cooties out and about, and get a kick out of seeing them logged in, so I always pass along the courtesy of logging in a find of any kind. I agree with the previous comments about having the HH & logbook a small size.
Reply to: #976261 by MamaZuke
Jun 13, 2019 3:02am
Thread
I love HHs! I have many out in the wild and get reports occasionally. It doesn’t really matter. It doesn’t matter to me if they sit in a box or a backpack for a while either. As far as I’m concerned, they are a bit like a box. Some don’t see a lot of action. But I always take HHs, log in and move them along. It’s still fun to me to open and box and find an extra surprise.
Reply to: #976273 by 7rxc
Jun 13, 2019 9:04am
Thread
I'm another one who tends to hunt for boxes long left lonely. I have nearly as many attempts as I do finds because I keep looking for boxes that haven't been found in 7-10 years. The first hitchhiker I found, I only realized a week later that the "extra" ziploc back at the bottom of the box was probably a hitchhiker, so I went back for it. And the only reason that thought even occurred to me was from a thread here on AQ. I wonder now how many I might have missed just because I didn't think to look for them, or before I even knew what "HH" written on a bag might mean.

I've only found 2 hitchhikers now, and both had been in their box at least a year since the last finder, and for one, although there were a dozen stamps in the book, I was the first person in six years to log it. So people are participating without logging. Oh, this last one was on AQ even though the box it was left in was only listed on letterboxing.org. So anyone who only uses only letterboxing.org might not even be able to log the HH in on AQ, but they will move it along anyway, which is cool.

It's funny to me that some people would let a HH stay in the box because they think it might be a few months before they can move it on - I almost never find a box within a few months of the last finder. It's probably way closer to two years. Taking the HH and moving it to a newer LB would move it along way faster, even if it takes a few months.
Reply to: #976308 by Guinea Pigs
Jun 13, 2019 9:39am
Thread
I almost never find a box within a few months of the last finder.

Same here. I think HH should just be moved along. There’s no guarantees when a box will be visited next.
Reply to: #976261 by MamaZuke
Jun 13, 2019 12:46pm
Thread
I think I get quite a few hitchhiker logs. I get more hitchhiker logs than box logs. But I actually ask nicely to please log my HH so I can see the travels. 🤗
🤗
That may or may not make a difference. People don't have to log anything.
But as an artist who loves this hobby, it's very fun when they do. :-) It's really neat to see how far they go.
Searching for "I <3 2 LTRBX" Owner/Planter
Jun 25, 2019 5:02pm
Thread
I found this HH in Yountville, CA in the "Jalski Series: Bubbly".

Both the box & HH were soaked and the logbook for the HH was too damaged to get the number. Would love to find owner/planter to log find and send it on its way!
Re: Searching for "I <3 2 LTRBX" Owner/Planter
Reply to: #976695 by Marshell
Jun 25, 2019 5:07pm
Thread
I found #242577 in the area years ago, so I'm guessing it's probably the same HH. Looks like they haven't been active in a few years, but worth a try!
Re: Searching for "I <3 2 LTRBX" Owner/Planter
Reply to: #976696 by kudichan
Jun 25, 2019 5:08pm
Thread
Sweet! Thank you!!!
Are you supposed to at least say what state the HH was found
Jun 29, 2019 3:15am
Thread
In the last few weeks, I got messages in my inbox that 2 of my HH's were found. One logged it in. Neither gave me any clue at to where they were found. Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't they tell you at least what state they were found in so you know where it's been traveling?
Re: Are you supposed to at least say what state the HH was found
Reply to: #976801 by MamaZuke
Jun 29, 2019 3:41am
Thread
I post what town and state. I think most people do.
Reply to: #976802 by Purple Gem and Tou Ron Ron
Jun 29, 2019 3:55am
Thread
I post what town and state

....and the box it was in as well.
Reply to: #976803 by sojourner
Jun 29, 2019 4:29am
Thread
Hopefully the next people will log that info in.
Jun 29, 2019 4:56am
Thread
I often have that happen. I'm thankful to at least know the hitchhiker has been found, but the fun of it also is seeing where it is traveling to.

I think some people don't notice the part of the message where they can include that information or they are just in a hurry to log in the find.
Jun 29, 2019 5:03am
Thread
I may be remembering this totally wrong but I think that recording finds of HHS used to be set up so that there were spaces to record specifically what box it was found in?
I see that is not the case now. So you only get the info the finder chooses to put in that one big space. I would imagine there are people who don’t even know they should say what box and location it was found in. Or that they can even log the find.

There’s no reason why you can’t just write back and ask what box it was in.
Jun 29, 2019 5:56am
Thread
It seems like half the time they give a location and the other half they don't. If I do get a location I reply with "Thanks for the update!" hoping it will encourage them to keep it up. As for the other, I guess there is nothing you can do.
Reply to: #976807 by MissMoon
Jun 29, 2019 6:50am
Thread
I think HHs are the least understood part of Letterboxing.
Etiquette is to log the HH in the host box with name of placer, date and host box name. (How else will anyone looking thru it's log book know how far or little the HH has traveled). Then list it online so owner and others can see it's travels.
Reply to: #976811 by Sagacorn
Jun 29, 2019 8:34am
Thread
The very first HH I found I logged incorrectly by not including all the info. I’ve always wondered if there was a way to go back and correct this. Can I?
Reply to: #976813 by BinoBoxer
Jun 29, 2019 9:03am
Thread
The very first HH I found I logged incorrectly by not including all the info. I’ve always wondered if there was a way to go back and correct this. Can I?

{
Unless you happen upon the HH box again I can't see a way to correct it BUT you can put some info on line if HH is listed. LBing is a learning experience. Good work.
Jun 29, 2019 1:08pm
Thread
I keep a US map on the bulletin board in my laundry room and make tally marks when one of my HHs has been found. It is fun to see the places my HHs travel! I appreciate it when the location is noted. Sometimes if it isn't there I write back and ask where it was found and mention it is appreciated if noted when recording a find.
Reply to: #976818 by TeachJR
Jun 29, 2019 1:37pm
Thread
keep a US map on the bulletin board in my laundry room and make tally marks when one of my HHs has been found.

I really like this idea! Although I've only received a few updates on one of my hitchhikers. Maybe I need to release more into the wild and buy myself a map to track them.
Reply to: #976813 by BinoBoxer
Jun 29, 2019 7:43pm
Thread
Go back to the box and click on “record find” Then click n/a for “find”. Put the location and whatever public and private comments you want to include. That will update the information.
Jun 30, 2019 5:41am
Thread
It just proper etiquette, but I find many people don’t seem to care about HH. If that’s the case don’t do it for yourself, do it for the planter folks!

“Box name”, city, state

That’s how I log my finds. Though for planters of HH, please actually make a listing for your find. I have found more than one that said please log me on AQ, only to find a listing does not exist!?!
Jun 30, 2019 3:08pm
Thread
Well, after reading this I went back and checked the HH's I've found (only 2) and sure enough, I hadn't indicated where they'd been found. I guess it didn't occur to me since I've never noted where I found previous boxes (for obvious reasons, of course) but also because I wrote in the logbook where I found it. I just never thought it through all the way that the HH owner wouldn't get the info from the logbook anytime soon, and that logging the host box at the same time as the HH wouldn't connect them for the HH owner in any way. So it's not that people don't care or aren't interested. It's just that the "found" location is automatic on other boxes so it's not something we are used to passing along. (Speaking as a relative newbie. Other people might have other reasons)
Languishing hitchhikers
Jun 30, 2019 6:09pm
Thread
We, my grandkids and I, found a hitchhiker yesterday that was originally planted in 2010 but apparently was held hostage for 5 years before being replanted. It didn’t come up in a search of it’s name. The documentation in the log was very confusing and I can only guess where it has been the last 3 years or so.
We will replant it but no doubt the 10 year old girl who planted it is most likely in college now and beyond caring where her hitchhiker has gone and is now.
Re: Languishing hitchhikers
Reply to: #976846 by Zapster77
Jul 1, 2019 4:35am
Thread
Maybe. But I bet she popped in from time to time to see where it was. That was the first thing my daughter and I did was look for our HHs. We got notifications of 3, but put out a bunch.

Was disappointed when we found out that some people toss them. At events, hitch hikers, cooties, and travellers are supposed to be a fun way of including people and maybe a neat type of ice breaker, but to throw out someone's hard work is not cool.
Jul 1, 2019 5:31am
Thread
I have found it fun to channel the Nancy Drew within to sort out HH problems I’ve found. I connected with nice boxers by doing this too.
Reply to: #976849 by SeerMeesh
Jul 1, 2019 7:09am
Thread
Was disappointed when we found out that some people toss them.

Oh God! Why??? I can understand if some people dont want to participate, but to purposefully toss? This breaks my heart.
Jul 1, 2019 7:12am
Thread
10 year old girl who planted it is most likely in college now and beyond caring where her hitchhiker has gone and is now.

I think sometimes boxes become an entity all on their own, apart from the boxer who planted it. Boxes bring joy to those of us that find them regardless if the owner is around to care &/or maintain them. I think this goes for HH as well. I get tickled everytime I find one.
Reply to: #976853 by LadyRisa
Jul 1, 2019 8:09am
Thread
They just dont want to deal with them. I'm thinking my next event will have a HH charity box. If you dont want them or have no good home for them, you put them in the charity box and another boxer who wants - like me - can pass them into a box that is frequently found or larger to accommodate and things can be sent along.
Reply to: #976856 by SeerMeesh
Jul 1, 2019 1:19pm
Thread
I’ve said it once and will say it again...we need a National HH Day to clean out bags where the cooties lurk.