A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas

Re: A New Breed is Born...
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #75980 by MoWizLiz
Mar 4, 2007 9:55pm
Thread
Quote who is going to be the first to point at some femme letterboxer and call her a Hootchie Mama?

LOL...I'll do it...Happy Papya is THE Hootchie Mamma. *for having though of the idea*

Shiloh
Reply to: #75992 by Green Tortuga
Mar 4, 2007 11:55pm
Thread
Quote That's old news. It's called a flea. =)

I'd like to point out, Mr. Tortuga... that "Flea" is not in the AQ glossary. If it ain't in the glossary, how are we supposed to believe it's a real (already invented) thing? hmmmmm?

:wink: HP
Re: tiny cooties
Reply to: #75934 by Smimle
Mar 5, 2007 4:26am
Thread
one you know and I already told you that if I tell you the other secret, I would have to kill you.
Right, Ryan?
SS
Reply to: #76034 by Pi
Mar 5, 2007 10:20am
Thread
I had this idea too, but I wanted to call them CootieHikers....I think I like Hootchie better ;O)

I did add to the clue page of the last cooties we did, if anyone wanted to release them as HH that I would switch them over. Catherine
Re: HOSTEL IS HOSTILE
Reply to: #75815 by 3CatFam
Mar 5, 2007 12:33pm
Thread
<quote/>Gilroy Hitchhiker Hostel in Gilroy, CA only to find the hostel EMPTY. Just the logbook and stamp.

say it ain't so :( i am planning on hitting this on my travels this month. rats. i even made a tribute hitchhiker to put in it, with groovy logbook too. HHHMMMM what to do now?

deniserows
but no longer has a permanent hitchhiker thumb
HHs in PLBs etiquette
Mar 5, 2007 7:39pm
Thread
It is my opinion...

That one should use two tiny side-by-side pages in a 1x1 HH logbook to take care of business. On one page make your mark with the date, on the other page mark a 1x1 inch portion of the PLB stamp so that the travels of the HH are tracked. Since you're not standing in the woods in the rain, there is no reason why you should not go through all that stamping unless you are completely going to skip the HH experience and send it on unsigned.

Stamp, Stamp, Stamp, Stamp, label, label, label, date, date etc. It's a pain, but worth the trouble.

Again, please do stamp the PLB stamp you are leaving the HH inside into the HH logbook. As much as we love each other's sig stamps, HHers want a peak at some box stamps, too. I believe you should also stamp the HH stamp into the logbook of the PLB the HH is traveling in, on your 1 page that you are usually alloted.

*2 cents* :)

LG.
Re: HHs in PLBs etiquette
Reply to: #76219 by LibraryGrrl
Mar 7, 2007 10:03am
Thread
<quote/>lease do stamp the PLB stamp you are leaving the HH inside into the HH logbook. As much as we love each other's sig stamps, HHers want a peak at some box stamps, too. I believe you should also stamp the HH stamp into the logbook of the PLB the HH is traveling in, on your 1 page that you are usually alloted.
i am so confused. i thought HH were either POSTAL HH or traditional HH. they couldn't be both. as such you treat them the same way. This is from Silent Dougs most excellent Hitchhiier tutorial www.letterboxing.info/articles/00000011.php (paratheses mine so as not to confuse myself )
Whenever you find a hitchhiker, you need to make sure to log the find in several places.

1. Record the hitchhiker's stamp in your personal journal.
2. Record your personal stamp in the hitchhiker's journal.
3. Record the hitcherhiker's stamp in the host letterbox's (postal) journal (the letterbox(postal) where you leave the hitcher).
4. Record the stamp of each host (postal) letterbox in the hitchhiker's journal.
Reply to: #76583 by deniserows
Mar 7, 2007 1:16pm
Thread
I guess they are not exclusive. I planted an HH in the wild, and it turned up being logged by PLBers. Now, I think, it's back in the wild...not sure. I'm happy either way.

I think the important part is to stamp both your sig stamp and the box stamp into the HH logbook. Otherwise you only see the boxers in the book and not the boxes.

I've seen several HHs lately that only have sig stamps and no box stamps. Very..well...boring. ;)

LG.
Reply to: #76613 by LibraryGrrl
Mar 7, 2007 1:26pm
Thread
Quote I've seen several HHs lately that only have sig stamps and no box stamps. Very..well...boring.

Yes, it is fun to see other sig. stamps but you can see those in a static box. The fun part of a HH has always been seeing other box images stamped into them, especially ones you haven't been able to find, or were deleted before you got to them.

YT
Re: First Cootie
Reply to: #74539 by Ballentine Buddies
Mar 8, 2007 10:41am
Thread
Has your sister found the cootie? What was her reaction? I just started to look into what a cootie was and I might just have to plant one myself.
Cootie housing...
Mar 10, 2007 5:50am
Thread
In my now, neverending quest for teeny cootie containers, I have come across these...

http://www.soapandthings.com/pc-1245-38-18-ounce-clear-thick-wall-jar-and-black-cap.aspx

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/LipBalmContainers.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230053446881&category=11866#ebayphotohosting (these are at Wally world for $0.88. You just have to use the eye shadow first or pour it out)

Still searching by the way...
Re: Cootie housing...
Reply to: #77230 by sweet n sour
Mar 10, 2007 6:14am
Thread
One of my best sources for funky cool containers is a dollar store kids candy section. You know that all that candy that tastes like poo but comes in an elaborate container? This is where they come to die.

I have found DOZENS of these kinds of containers here..and am about to unleash 4 or 5 new ones in New Hampshire next weekend....

LW PhD*who gets bored with film containers*
"Nice Counts"
Reply to: #77233 by Lock Wench
Mar 10, 2007 7:10am
Thread
My sister has been taking thousands of photos since her daughter was born 6 yrs ago. She showed me her latest cootie creations yesterday and I said "Take enough pictures?"

She had actually been saving those cannisters for 6 yrs in a drawer. (For 'just in case')

She started letterboxing this past november and suddenly had a use for them.
Mar 10, 2007 12:23pm
Thread
Quote I have found DOZENS of these kinds of containers here..and am about to unleash 4 or 5 new ones in New Hampshire next weekend....

Woohoo....bring 'em on sistah! *GRIN*

D5 Mama
Mar 10, 2007 3:14pm
Thread
you are bringing them into container addicted territory. We, too have been stashing itty-bitty containers!
six stars
oh dear less than one week ~~~
do not tell Dunhom5!
six stars
Hitchhiker Hostle stamping up
Mar 16, 2007 11:48am
Thread
If you locate a hitchiker hostle and do not want to take any hitchikers can you stamp up and log them as a find?
Re: Hitchhiker Hostle stamping up
Reply to: #78751 by beach buddies
Mar 16, 2007 11:50am
Thread
It wouldn't be any different than finding a HH in the wild, stamping it and then leaving it in the box for the next person. I've had plenty of people visit my HHH and not take anything.
Mar 16, 2007 12:26pm
Thread
Quote If you locate a hitchiker hostle and do not want to take any hitchikers can you stamp up and log them as a find?

Yes, but we've found the general consensus is you DON'T stamp into the HH logbooks if you don't take them. You can stamp the HH image into your own logbook (and of course, stamp into the hostel itself if it has its own stamp and logbook like ours does), but don't actually stamp into an HH logbook unless you take it with you. That saves the pages for the actual travels of the HH.
Reply to: #78752 by Mososo Kruppe
Mar 16, 2007 1:49pm
Thread
Quote It wouldn't be any different than finding a HH in the wild, stamping it and then leaving it in the box for the next person. I've had plenty of people visit my HHH and not take anything.

I seem to be a minority on this, but I don't think people should be stamping hitchhikers into their own log books OR stamping into the HH log book unless they actually move them. Nobody stamps for free.

Now, stamping into the HHH is a whole 'nother thing.
Reply to: #78779 by Otis' Friends
Mar 16, 2007 4:17pm
Thread
I'm with you on this one. If you aren't going to move the HH, I don't think you should stamp in it. My intention with the one HH I planted was that the log book, should I ever see it again, would show me who had helped it along on it's journey. Of course, most HHs that I find aren't stamped correctly anyway - so I'm not sure how good a reacord the logbook will be!
Reply to: #78801 by galaxy4
Mar 16, 2007 5:35pm
Thread
OK, I'm going to show my newness here. What do you mean they are not stamped correctly?
Reply to: #78811 by Perdu
Mar 16, 2007 5:45pm
Thread
HHs should be stamped by the one who drops them off with the host box stamp (as much as can fit in the log) and the sig stamp of the person doing the dropping. The HH should also be stamped into the logbook of the host box on the page with the sig stamp of the person who dropped them off. Date of drop and box name should be recorded in the HH log and the HH name and date recorded in the host logbook.

The person who takes the HH should check that all of that has been done because the person who drops the HH off could have forgotten one of the steps. Then they stamp into the HH log with their sig stamp and the stamp of the box where they leave it, etc.

Knit Wit
Reply to: #78779 by Otis' Friends
Mar 16, 2007 6:29pm
Thread
<quote\>but I don't think people should be stamping hitchhikers into their own log books OR stamping into the HH log book unless they actually move them. Nobody stamps for free.

Have the Stamp Police been looking into MY logbook lately? OMG!!! ;)

deniserows
launches HH's and wonders if any will come home to momma.
Re: Hitchhiker Hostle stamping up (while we're talking HHs)
Mar 16, 2007 6:58pm
Thread
I don't know if it's just in my area, but there seems to kind of be an over abundance of HHs. It's fun when you find one every once in a while, but we currently have three in our possession that we've found in the last two weeks or so - we found two in one day (and we haven't been boxing that much!) We opted to hold them since we are going out of state tomorrow so that they could travel a little. They get kind of tedious when you find them all the time (and not nearly so exciting). We planted one a couple of months ago, but I think that will be it for us for quite some time. I know we could just leave them there - but for some irrational reason that makes me feel guilty. That and my kids would have a cow if we left one! Perhaps I should repeat to myself - "the hitchhiker doesn't have feelings, it won't feel sad if you leave it behind!"
HHH & stamping up
Mar 17, 2007 10:39am
we find quite a few HHs ourselves but we also do a lot of traveling so we move them around.When we do go out-of-state we prefer HHs rather than placing a box we cannot maintain from that distance.In our area several HHHs have been traveling to events so we can unload any extras we might have at the time;seems to being working for us right now.
Re: First Cootie
Reply to: #76879 by becohio
Mar 19, 2007 5:46am
Thread
I'm new to letterboxing and have not yet been cootied. Are these actual carved stamps with tiny logbooks? Do you ever see them again? Is there a typical size for them? I've read this whole board and others on this topic and think this is such a fun idea.

It reminds me of the un-signed Christmas Card that some friends of mind have. Each year it is sent to someone, no one in the group knows who will get it, and it's good for a chuckle when it turns up in the mail, though you have to remember to then send it off next year to someone else.
Giant Frog: Philadelphia Public Art Hitchhiker
Mar 20, 2007 5:08pm
Has anyone ever seen this hitchhiker. We have not heard a word about it since we left it in the Bird House Hostel in Charlotte, NC about a year and a half ago.
any tips on giving my kids a cootie tutorial?
Mar 21, 2007 1:43pm
Thread
i'm planning on taking my kids to the event in san jose, ca, our first event. we're newbies and i'm not sure how to describe cooties to them, i just know that they will probably enjoy them! they're 7 and 4. the youngest may not even understand but she can get in on the fun! thanks for your help!
Re: any tips on giving my kids a cootie tutorial?
Reply to: #79960 by jenneric lyla
Mar 21, 2007 2:30pm
Thread
They will catch on real quick and probably get it quicker than you!!
If they WANT them, tell them to bring a backpack and leave it open. Then when they see these mysterious little stamps disguised as gum, playdough or any other samll container, they should stamp it in your book and find someone else who has left a bag open (or a pocket or a hood!) Then very quietly they should sneak the cootie into that open place: )
Of course, my little cootie queen isn't even sneaky about it. She just drops them and runs!!
If they DON"T want them, tell them to leave all bags at home, duct tape their pockets and NO hooded coats!
And if Green Tortuge happens to be there, he LOVES cooties: )

't'
dtandfambly
Re: any tips on giving my kids a cootie tutorial?
Reply to: #79966 by dtandfambly
Mar 21, 2007 2:48pm
Thread
thx t! i'm really excited about the meet and am thinking up cooties in my head for the kids to have as ammo! i'm still weary of letting them carve their own.

~L