A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Province: Ontario

Re: Webfoot has new carving blocks of Tan-Z
Board: Province: Ontario
Reply to: #963539 by Fiddleheads
Aug 9, 2018 5:53pm
Thread
BaliWho, it sounds like you have mule potential!

Haha! I'm not carrying anything across any borders! Carving material, or otherwise! But, I certainly would be willing to loan out my address to anyone who wanted to ship something here and come pick it up!
Reply to: #963484 by Bumble
Aug 18, 2018 6:00pm
Thread
Could I buy one of the slabs, please, Bumble?? I would also love to try some of the 'Chinese Sandwich'. :D
Reply to: #964069 by RubberRabbit
Aug 19, 2018 7:51am
Thread
Absolutely! I actually just picked them up yesterday - haven't tried them yet, but they are in my clutches!

Send me a message when you're ready, and we can sort out pickup arrangements :)
Kitchener/Waterloo box recommendations for a visitor
Oct 4, 2018 7:55pm
Thread
Hello my Canadian letterboxers! I'll be up visiting with family for the Thanksgiving holiday and decided to see what was around the Kitchener/Waterloo area and wow so many boxes to choose from!!

So the question is with the holidays, visiting the many relatives and limited vehicle access are there any boxes in particular you'd recommend taking time to find?

I'd love to find all of them of course but think will just have to find a few each time I visit, but hoping ya'll have some good suggestions!
Re: Kitchener/Waterloo box recommendations for a visitor
Reply to: #966414 by Cluingforlooks
Oct 4, 2018 9:59pm
Thread
Contact Fiddleheads. She's actually in Guelph, but would be the one most familiar with that area of the province.

Have fun, eh?

Jiggs
Re: Kitchener/Waterloo box recommendations for a visitor
Reply to: #966417 by Jiggs
Oct 5, 2018 2:25pm
Thread
I'd recommend Ladies of the 80s (and the other 80s boxes left from an event several years ago). The woods are beautiful, the boxes aren't too far apart, and there are some cool elements.

The other approach I might take is to go to Huron Natural Area and see what boxes might still be there. It's a lovely little spot, and boxes would be a bonus.

You might want to have a look at the Unwanted Pets. They're all urban/lamp post boxes, so they're quick and parking lots will probably be deserted on Monday. There are many of them; you might find one within walking distance of where you're staying.

If you feel like coming to Guelph, the Early Bedtime Essentials would be the one's I'd recommend.

Message me if you have any questions. :)
BoxON! 2019
May 25, 2019 11:09am
Thread
Hi friends - I was just wondering if there were plans for a BoxON! this fall? I missed last year's in St. Thomas, unfortunately...
Re: BoxON! 2019
Reply to: #975485 by Star Hexen
May 25, 2019 11:53am
Thread
I don't think anyone has offered yet. Do you want to host?

St. Thomas was fun - that trestle bridge park was amazing!
Re: BoxON! 2019
Reply to: #975486 by Fiddleheads
May 26, 2019 7:18am
Thread
Nice! VtV and I will have to plan a day trip to St. Thomas sometime.

Hmm... Very tempting.... I'll have to first see if I can rope VtV into helping, LOL. Maybe we could do Cambridge.
Announcing BoxON! 2019: Letterboxing Flashbacks
Jun 16, 2019 12:02pm
Thread
Dear friends (and enemies):

Vivian the Viking and I are pleased to announce that we are hosting the 14th annual BoxON! Come share your letterboxing memories and stories with us on October 5, 2019 in Cambridge. Here is the event link: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4194

More details TBA as they emerge....
Re: Announcing BoxON! 2019: Letterboxing Flashbacks
Reply to: #976401 by Star Hexen
Jun 16, 2019 7:36pm
Thread
Thanks for hosting again this year. Hal and I will be there with bells on!!!!!

Big Blue Team!
Re: Announcing BoxON! 2019: Letterboxing Flashbacks
Reply to: #976418 by Big Blue Team
Jun 17, 2019 4:37am
Thread
Right on! Glad you can both make it!!
New box planted
Jul 20, 2019 7:13pm
Thread
I planted a box today in Ingersoll. It’s been a while since I carved anything and it’s my first planters pouch.
It wasn’t a great hide though😑
I could really use some pointers from some seasoned pros. How do you find the perfect spot?
Re: New box planted
Reply to: #977534 by Nekussa
Jul 21, 2019 4:03am
Thread
A few things that work for me:

• I usually avoid planting in high-traffic places. Those boxes are much more likely to go missing.

• I tend to plant a bit off a trail, behind a tree, log, or rock. That way, if someone doesn't rehide the box very well, it's less likely to be seen than a box hidden next to/facing the trail.

• If there's an interesting object like a giant boulder, I don't plant right at that object, because muggles often investigate those objects. Instead, I use the object as a point of reference and plant somewhere nearby (behind a more nondescript rock, for instance).

• I cover boxes with local materials (rock, a stick or two, pine needles) to try to make the box blend in. I don't use too many sticks because it looks suspicious.

• I use the smallest box possible for the stamp/logbook because it gives me more hiding options.

• I spray-paint my boxes with flat green or brown paint. Shiny or colorful boxes are a lot more obvious to muggles.

• I make sure the box can't be seen from different angles. I often plant on single-track trails, so I have to check that the trail doesn't wind around behind the big tree I planted at, giving folks a good view of the box.

• It's good to be aware of poison ivy and other nasties when you plant. Nobody wants to wade through an impassible field of PI to get to a box.

• I check AQ and LbNA first to make sure I'm not planting near other people's boxes. Obviously, if a box has certain restrictions or is a mystery, you won't know about it, but I've found a box literally planted on top of another box, with a rock separating them.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope that helps!
Kid-friendly Series in Dufferin County
Jul 21, 2019 8:32am
Thread
I’m planning on planting a series in Dufferin to introduce my kiddo to Letterboxing. She’s 3 now and loves the idea of hunting for treasure.
I haven’t had a chance to buy any proper carving medium but I found some cute store bought stamps. I figured maybe I’ll try to introduce some other kids to letterboxing as well and it wouldn’t bug me so much if these went missing. I haven’t had much experience with planting and so far I don’t feel like I’ve done so well with it lol

Any tips for planting in kid friendly spots? I’m thinking near some playgrounds but they tend to be well tended.
Re: Kid-friendly Series in Dufferin County
Reply to: #977551 by Nekussa
Jul 21, 2019 11:30am
Thread
I'd say almost all letterboxes are kid friendly, except for reading the clues by themselves, and sometimes the subject matter may not be kid friendly. If you keep your themes and images kid friendly, you can plant them anywhere a kid can go with an adult. To be truly kid friendly, they should be able to read the clue, so consider a rebus type clue or simple vocabulary.

From my point of view, letterboxes around playgrounds are off limits to me because I don't have kids to take with me. A single, older adult lingering around a playground (waiting for everyone to not pay attention to me) raises red flags for parents and teachers, so consider places where kids can make the hike ~ many of your finders will be adults.
Reply to: #977555 by Maude
Jul 21, 2019 12:05pm
Thread
You are so right about the playgrounds! I don’t want any adult finders to feel uncomfortable about hunting for the boxes so I’ll definitely take it into consideration.
I love your suggestion for the clues!!! Thanks!
Jul 21, 2019 4:40pm
Thread
I just saw your other box listed - cheese museum! Who could say no to that?

When I had little ones, I found they were only good for a stamp or two before losing interest, so longer series weren't as good. Mine always liked throwing rocks in streams.
Re: New box planted
Reply to: #977534 by Nekussa
Jul 24, 2019 6:18pm
Thread
We found your new plant today. We hid a little better than we found it. Very cute carve. Perfect for the location.
Jul 24, 2019 6:23pm
Thread
Our youngest grandson began letterboxing with us at 2-1/2 years old. He loved searching and loved stamping in. If you are brave enough to let you little one carve a stamp (I think Cam was about 4) just take the eraser out of the end of a pencil and press the "eraser holder" almost flat. Makes a great gouge but won't cut your kiddo as she carves her first stamp. I gave my boys dollar store erasers to start out on. Kids love to climb and dig and explore so I personally don't think there is such a thing as "kid friendly).
Box of the week
Dec 2, 2019 7:18am
Thread
Take a bow, Fiddleheads!
Re: Box of the week
Reply to: #981535 by Fish Below The Ice
Dec 2, 2019 7:40am
Thread
Why, thank you! It's an old, crotchety bow from 2007. Funny how those algorithms work.
Re: Box of the week
Reply to: #981536 by Fiddleheads
Dec 2, 2019 9:56am
Thread
Ha! It must have been sitting on the threshold, waiting for that one last find to tip it over ;) Congrats!
Visiting Ottawa
Feb 16, 2020 4:28am
Thread
Bonjour, Greetings!

My daughter and I will be visiting Ottawa in mid April and would love any "insider tips" about where to stay, what to do, and most importantly, letterboxes to find!!

We will only be there a few days. Our primary language is English. My daughter has tourist level French. I am looking forward to new experiences.

Thank you in advance,

Mama Stork
Re: Visiting Ottawa
Reply to: #983508 by Mama Stork
Feb 16, 2020 7:02pm
Thread
Hi Mama Stork!

You'll both be fine with English only in Ottawa, although you'll find almost everything is in both languages.

The Canadian Museum of Nature is an outstanding museum. I'd also do a tour of Parliament Hill and the parliament buildings, including the library if you can. They're beautiful. And you'll want to see the Rideau Canal, too.

You can cross the bridge into Hull just to say you've been to Quebec! At that time of year, Hog's Falls will be spectacular as the spring run-off will be high.

Enjoy your trip!
Re: Visiting Ottawa
Reply to: #983539 by Fiddleheads
Feb 17, 2020 3:18am
Thread
Thank you!

Still narrowing down options, but think we will be staying close to the canal. As a plus, we do have a local to hang out with one day.
Box!ON 2020! Stamp carvers wanted!
Apr 2, 2020 3:08pm
Thread
Hi Ontario letterboxers!

I have committed to organize the next Box!On with my friend.
Well, since most of us are quarantined at home for months to come, I thought maybe a few of you would like to help carve stamps for the Box!ON 2020, to be held in Newmarket In Sept or Oct. Maybe Sep 26?

I have only carved a couple of stamps in my life, so I am hoping that you experts will step up and help carve some:). Theme will be "2020 Vision". I was thinking of having 2 series: one with famous people/ current or historical, that either wears glasses or that had great visions for their future of their company or country. If you have a person in mind you would like to carve, let me know.
The second series could be related to actual vision, vision charts, funky eyewear, binoculars etc. Again, if you have something in mind you would like to carve, let me know.

If you can't think of any persons you want to carve, I can do some digging and provide some suggestions.

Who would like to carve the event stamp??? Big honour :)

There are not very many stamps hidden in or area yet, so there are less stamps to find outside of the Box!ON event, but I would be happy to hide extra ones, if anyone wants to send me extras that they have?

I will organize and plan more details later. I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Stay safe and healthy!
Lifelearners By Heart
Re: Box!ON 2020! Stamp carvers wanted!
Reply to: #985286 by Life learners by heart
Apr 2, 2020 4:27pm
Thread
I was going to use a 2020 vision theme but didn't want to be too repetitive, LOVE the spin on people who wear glasses!

This event might have some stamps that can be handed down. https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4187
Reply to: #985286 by Life learners by heart
Apr 5, 2020 11:44am
Thread
I'll contribute! Now....I'll just have to start searching out some good ideas. Thanks for hosting!
Reply to: #985408 by Fiddleheads
Apr 5, 2020 11:47am
Thread
Fantastic!! Looking forward to you attending and much appreciate your help with carving :)