A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Province: Ontario

BOX ON! 2018: The Romance of Train Travel Never Fades
Board: Province: Ontario
Jul 6, 2018 7:29am
Thread
Just posted today . . . https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?eventId=4034

Any help with carving is welcome. I actually do need a volunteer to do a carve that is above my carving abilities to be the event stamp.

I hope to see you all in September if I don't see you on the trail before.

See ya
Pam
Big Blue Team
Re: BOX ON! 2018: The Romance of Train Travel Never Fades
Reply to: #962120 by Big Blue Team
Jul 6, 2018 7:59pm
Thread
I think my post got swallowed, but if it didn't, excuse the double post.

Hooray for Big Blue Team! Thanks for offering to host, and sign us up! I'm happy to carve whatever you need.

The last time I was in St. Thomas letterboxing, my kids put live snails in their jacket pockets. I didn't notice until after they'd been through the laundry. Lots and lots of snails.
Webfoot has new carving blocks of Tan-Z
Aug 6, 2018 5:22am
Thread
A replacement for OZ has arrived. It's here: http://www.stampeaz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=758

I wanted to try some out, but the small 4x6 slabs are sold out. There are only two slabs of the next size up left, and with shipping being $25, it's not an economical way to buy it. The next size up requires a box, so shipping will be even higher.

Is anyone interested in doing a bulk order with me? Or does anyone have a friend on the other side of the border we could ship to for a much lower rate?
Re: Webfoot has new carving blocks of Tan-Z
Reply to: #963445 by Fiddleheads
Aug 6, 2018 10:22am
Thread
I'm going to my US post box on the 18th. If people want to pool in for a big order, I can pick it up there (it's $5 USD flat rate per box, so I'd just divide it among the order).
Reply to: #963460 by Bumble
Aug 6, 2018 2:49pm
Thread
That's astonishingly cheap for shipping. We're are so getting ripped off.

I'll give you a slab as compensation for being our mule.
Aug 6, 2018 5:33pm
Thread
Webfoot stated on the page that the site calculates shipping, but she uses flat rate boxes and will refund any shipping charge overages once she has the actual cost. Of course, that may not be the same with Canadian orders. I'm not sure how that works. That being said, I am in Detroit. If you wanted to order and have shipped to my house, I could meet up sometime to give it to you. (I am hosting an event on Sept 8 about 30/40 minutes from the bridge... you could come to event and pick up then!)
Reply to: #963472 by Fiddleheads
Aug 6, 2018 7:22pm
Thread
Sorry, to be clear, the $5 is for the address service - that's on top of whatever Webfoot charges for shipping (which is minimal compared to the shipping to Canada + taxes + service fees... grr...).
Reply to: #963483 by Bumble
Aug 6, 2018 7:37pm
Thread
So, I preemptively put in an order for 4 of the 6x10 slabs. With the shipping fees all included it's $15.75 per slab (or I can cut them and $7.85 for a 6x5"). Other than Fiddleheads, if anyone wants one of the slabs, please let me know and we can figure out pickup arrangements for there.

Also, I'm sitting on a huge stash of Chinese Sandwich, as well as a few extra packages of Hindodewashi's glow-in-the-dark carving material, and some other random rubbers. If anyone is interested in trying other materials as well, I'm happy to make them available at cost.
Reply to: #963480 by BaliWho
Aug 7, 2018 4:57pm
Thread
BaliWho, it sounds like you have mule potential!
Aug 7, 2018 7:06pm
Thread
Do you need a mailing address in Amherst NY?
Reply to: #963539 by Fiddleheads
Aug 9, 2018 5:53pm
Thread
BaliWho, it sounds like you have mule potential!

Haha! I'm not carrying anything across any borders! Carving material, or otherwise! But, I certainly would be willing to loan out my address to anyone who wanted to ship something here and come pick it up!
Reply to: #963484 by Bumble
Aug 18, 2018 6:00pm
Thread
Could I buy one of the slabs, please, Bumble?? I would also love to try some of the 'Chinese Sandwich'. :D
Reply to: #964069 by RubberRabbit
Aug 19, 2018 7:51am
Thread
Absolutely! I actually just picked them up yesterday - haven't tried them yet, but they are in my clutches!

Send me a message when you're ready, and we can sort out pickup arrangements :)
Kitchener/Waterloo box recommendations for a visitor
Oct 4, 2018 7:55pm
Thread
Hello my Canadian letterboxers! I'll be up visiting with family for the Thanksgiving holiday and decided to see what was around the Kitchener/Waterloo area and wow so many boxes to choose from!!

So the question is with the holidays, visiting the many relatives and limited vehicle access are there any boxes in particular you'd recommend taking time to find?

I'd love to find all of them of course but think will just have to find a few each time I visit, but hoping ya'll have some good suggestions!
Re: Kitchener/Waterloo box recommendations for a visitor
Reply to: #966414 by Cluingforlooks
Oct 4, 2018 9:59pm
Thread
Contact Fiddleheads. She's actually in Guelph, but would be the one most familiar with that area of the province.

Have fun, eh?

Jiggs
Re: Kitchener/Waterloo box recommendations for a visitor
Reply to: #966417 by Jiggs
Oct 5, 2018 2:25pm
Thread
I'd recommend Ladies of the 80s (and the other 80s boxes left from an event several years ago). The woods are beautiful, the boxes aren't too far apart, and there are some cool elements.

The other approach I might take is to go to Huron Natural Area and see what boxes might still be there. It's a lovely little spot, and boxes would be a bonus.

You might want to have a look at the Unwanted Pets. They're all urban/lamp post boxes, so they're quick and parking lots will probably be deserted on Monday. There are many of them; you might find one within walking distance of where you're staying.

If you feel like coming to Guelph, the Early Bedtime Essentials would be the one's I'd recommend.

Message me if you have any questions. :)
BoxON! 2019
May 25, 2019 11:09am
Thread
Hi friends - I was just wondering if there were plans for a BoxON! this fall? I missed last year's in St. Thomas, unfortunately...
Re: BoxON! 2019
Reply to: #975485 by Star Hexen
May 25, 2019 11:53am
Thread
I don't think anyone has offered yet. Do you want to host?

St. Thomas was fun - that trestle bridge park was amazing!
Re: BoxON! 2019
Reply to: #975486 by Fiddleheads
May 26, 2019 7:18am
Thread
Nice! VtV and I will have to plan a day trip to St. Thomas sometime.

Hmm... Very tempting.... I'll have to first see if I can rope VtV into helping, LOL. Maybe we could do Cambridge.
Announcing BoxON! 2019: Letterboxing Flashbacks
Jun 16, 2019 12:02pm
Thread
Dear friends (and enemies):

Vivian the Viking and I are pleased to announce that we are hosting the 14th annual BoxON! Come share your letterboxing memories and stories with us on October 5, 2019 in Cambridge. Here is the event link: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4194

More details TBA as they emerge....
Re: Announcing BoxON! 2019: Letterboxing Flashbacks
Reply to: #976401 by Star Hexen
Jun 16, 2019 7:36pm
Thread
Thanks for hosting again this year. Hal and I will be there with bells on!!!!!

Big Blue Team!
Re: Announcing BoxON! 2019: Letterboxing Flashbacks
Reply to: #976418 by Big Blue Team
Jun 17, 2019 4:37am
Thread
Right on! Glad you can both make it!!
New box planted
Jul 20, 2019 7:13pm
Thread
I planted a box today in Ingersoll. It’s been a while since I carved anything and it’s my first planters pouch.
It wasn’t a great hide though😑
I could really use some pointers from some seasoned pros. How do you find the perfect spot?
Re: New box planted
Reply to: #977534 by Nekussa
Jul 21, 2019 4:03am
Thread
A few things that work for me:

• I usually avoid planting in high-traffic places. Those boxes are much more likely to go missing.

• I tend to plant a bit off a trail, behind a tree, log, or rock. That way, if someone doesn't rehide the box very well, it's less likely to be seen than a box hidden next to/facing the trail.

• If there's an interesting object like a giant boulder, I don't plant right at that object, because muggles often investigate those objects. Instead, I use the object as a point of reference and plant somewhere nearby (behind a more nondescript rock, for instance).

• I cover boxes with local materials (rock, a stick or two, pine needles) to try to make the box blend in. I don't use too many sticks because it looks suspicious.

• I use the smallest box possible for the stamp/logbook because it gives me more hiding options.

• I spray-paint my boxes with flat green or brown paint. Shiny or colorful boxes are a lot more obvious to muggles.

• I make sure the box can't be seen from different angles. I often plant on single-track trails, so I have to check that the trail doesn't wind around behind the big tree I planted at, giving folks a good view of the box.

• It's good to be aware of poison ivy and other nasties when you plant. Nobody wants to wade through an impassible field of PI to get to a box.

• I check AQ and LbNA first to make sure I'm not planting near other people's boxes. Obviously, if a box has certain restrictions or is a mystery, you won't know about it, but I've found a box literally planted on top of another box, with a rock separating them.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope that helps!
Kid-friendly Series in Dufferin County
Jul 21, 2019 8:32am
Thread
I’m planning on planting a series in Dufferin to introduce my kiddo to Letterboxing. She’s 3 now and loves the idea of hunting for treasure.
I haven’t had a chance to buy any proper carving medium but I found some cute store bought stamps. I figured maybe I’ll try to introduce some other kids to letterboxing as well and it wouldn’t bug me so much if these went missing. I haven’t had much experience with planting and so far I don’t feel like I’ve done so well with it lol

Any tips for planting in kid friendly spots? I’m thinking near some playgrounds but they tend to be well tended.
Re: Kid-friendly Series in Dufferin County
Reply to: #977551 by Nekussa
Jul 21, 2019 11:30am
Thread
I'd say almost all letterboxes are kid friendly, except for reading the clues by themselves, and sometimes the subject matter may not be kid friendly. If you keep your themes and images kid friendly, you can plant them anywhere a kid can go with an adult. To be truly kid friendly, they should be able to read the clue, so consider a rebus type clue or simple vocabulary.

From my point of view, letterboxes around playgrounds are off limits to me because I don't have kids to take with me. A single, older adult lingering around a playground (waiting for everyone to not pay attention to me) raises red flags for parents and teachers, so consider places where kids can make the hike ~ many of your finders will be adults.
Reply to: #977555 by Maude
Jul 21, 2019 12:05pm
Thread
You are so right about the playgrounds! I don’t want any adult finders to feel uncomfortable about hunting for the boxes so I’ll definitely take it into consideration.
I love your suggestion for the clues!!! Thanks!
Jul 21, 2019 4:40pm
Thread
I just saw your other box listed - cheese museum! Who could say no to that?

When I had little ones, I found they were only good for a stamp or two before losing interest, so longer series weren't as good. Mine always liked throwing rocks in streams.
Re: New box planted
Reply to: #977534 by Nekussa
Jul 24, 2019 6:18pm
Thread
We found your new plant today. We hid a little better than we found it. Very cute carve. Perfect for the location.
Jul 24, 2019 6:23pm
Thread
Our youngest grandson began letterboxing with us at 2-1/2 years old. He loved searching and loved stamping in. If you are brave enough to let you little one carve a stamp (I think Cam was about 4) just take the eraser out of the end of a pencil and press the "eraser holder" almost flat. Makes a great gouge but won't cut your kiddo as she carves her first stamp. I gave my boys dollar store erasers to start out on. Kids love to climb and dig and explore so I personally don't think there is such a thing as "kid friendly).