A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Province: Ontario

Re: Box ON 2017
Board: Province: Ontario
Reply to: #952036 by Big Blue Team
Oct 2, 2017 10:49am
Thread
Yes, and three cheers for Fiddleheads who once again put on an amazing event! It was amazing to see old faces and new faces, the venue was perfect, and the boxes were wonderful!! Thank you, Fiddleheads!
Oct 2, 2017 2:02pm
Thread
The event was amazing!! :D (Thanks Fiddleheads and all those who contributed.) So nice to catch up with our boxing friends again. There never seems to be enough time to visit and letterbox and eat and.... Maybe we should make this a whole weekend event??? ;)
Oct 3, 2017 1:47am
Thread
I must add my sentiments and heartfelt thanks to Fiddleheads and her merry minions! An absolutely fabulous day! I only wish we had more time to share before having to dash off back "east". Great to see lots of familiar faces, and greet some new ones. Of course, we can't forget our intrepid southern neighbours who make the (well-worth-it) trip up here every year :)

Now, where to host Box ON 2018? Hmmmm...thoughts?
Reply to: #952089 by Jiggs
Oct 4, 2017 2:31pm
Thread
I am starting to think Starhexen and I should host just so we actually make it to Box On... Our track record has been dodgy since our last host
Reply to: #952157 by Vivian the Viking
Oct 5, 2017 7:42am
Thread
We missed you two!!! ;)
Around Toronto
Oct 20, 2017 10:03pm
I'm in the Toronto area until at least tomorrow/Sunday. Went to a concert a few hours ago. I heard the best banter last night and people were awesome there. Anyway, sorry for the last minute notice. If anyone has the free time to meet up, let me know. I <3 Toronto. Unfortunately my last visit was 15 years ago. I need to remedy that.
Not on Shelves Mini Meet
Jan 8, 2018 10:20am
Thread
Very slowly but very surely, I'm getting together this winter's mini meet.

For those of you who have already signed up, the venue has now been tentatively added: the event will take place from 10am-2pm in the Wentworth Room of the Hamilton Central Library.

Next door is the Hamilton Farmer's Market - lots of yummy noms for anyone who is interested, and food is permitted within our reserved room of the library.

Just an FYI, the event stamp for this is LARGE and, without spoiling it too much, accommodates the series of stamps for this event. If your logbook isn't 8x10" or larger, I am planning on bringing extra paper so that you can stamp it up for the event.

The event will be puzzle-style with stamps hidden temporarily around the library. Clues will be provided at the event. Clues will not be provided to Jiggs in advance :)

If anyone else is interested in joining, you can check out the event page here: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?eventId=3903 I'm really looking forward to visiting with everyone!
Re: Not on Shelves Mini Meet
Reply to: #955336 by Bumble
Feb 1, 2018 5:19pm
Thread
Sorry - The weather forecast up here in Owen Sound is not cooperating for this weekend. It doesn't look as bad for Hamilton area, so I hope you can all make it and have a great time. For now, RickOnTheRange, RubberRabbit and The Happy Bee will stay snow-bound at home.
Happy Hunting
Re: Not on Shelves Mini Meet
Reply to: #956386 by RickOnTheRange
Feb 1, 2018 6:05pm
Thread
Aw, that's too bad! Stay warm and we'll see you at the next event!
New York state event...
May 7, 2018 6:10am
Hey y'all - I had a request by a letterboxer named Maude to let folks know that there is an event in New York state coming up that some Ontarians may be interested in. Here it is - Whodunits Redux.

Happy trails!
Box ON 2018
Jul 4, 2018 10:28am
Thread
Has anyone volunteered to host a Box ON for 2018 yet? If not, I have a scathingly brilliant idea . . . LOL. Please let me know.

Pam
1/5 of Big Blue Team
St. Thomas ON
Re: Box ON 2018
Reply to: #962053 by Big Blue Team
Jul 4, 2018 1:14pm
Thread
Scathingly brilliant? Then I'd say go for it!
Reply to: #962053 by Big Blue Team
Jul 4, 2018 6:24pm
Thread
If it involves going west and Mackie's, I'm in!
Reply to: #962066 by Fiddleheads
Jul 6, 2018 6:25am
Thread
Okay. I'm doing it. I know it isn't the first time you all have been in St. Thomas but it has been a while. And I'd like to do it up right. Our base of operations will be St. Thomas Elevated Park, "an iconic railway bridge converted into Canada's first Elevated Park. Preserving our rail heritage. An exciting new tourism destination. A wonderful addition to our park system."

How could Mackies not be involved, Fiddeheads?

See ya
Pam
BOX ON! 2018: The Romance of Train Travel Never Fades
Jul 6, 2018 7:29am
Thread
Just posted today . . . https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?eventId=4034

Any help with carving is welcome. I actually do need a volunteer to do a carve that is above my carving abilities to be the event stamp.

I hope to see you all in September if I don't see you on the trail before.

See ya
Pam
Big Blue Team
Re: BOX ON! 2018: The Romance of Train Travel Never Fades
Reply to: #962120 by Big Blue Team
Jul 6, 2018 7:59pm
Thread
I think my post got swallowed, but if it didn't, excuse the double post.

Hooray for Big Blue Team! Thanks for offering to host, and sign us up! I'm happy to carve whatever you need.

The last time I was in St. Thomas letterboxing, my kids put live snails in their jacket pockets. I didn't notice until after they'd been through the laundry. Lots and lots of snails.
Webfoot has new carving blocks of Tan-Z
Aug 6, 2018 5:22am
Thread
A replacement for OZ has arrived. It's here: http://www.stampeaz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=758

I wanted to try some out, but the small 4x6 slabs are sold out. There are only two slabs of the next size up left, and with shipping being $25, it's not an economical way to buy it. The next size up requires a box, so shipping will be even higher.

Is anyone interested in doing a bulk order with me? Or does anyone have a friend on the other side of the border we could ship to for a much lower rate?
Re: Webfoot has new carving blocks of Tan-Z
Reply to: #963445 by Fiddleheads
Aug 6, 2018 10:22am
Thread
I'm going to my US post box on the 18th. If people want to pool in for a big order, I can pick it up there (it's $5 USD flat rate per box, so I'd just divide it among the order).
Reply to: #963460 by Bumble
Aug 6, 2018 2:49pm
Thread
That's astonishingly cheap for shipping. We're are so getting ripped off.

I'll give you a slab as compensation for being our mule.
Aug 6, 2018 5:33pm
Thread
Webfoot stated on the page that the site calculates shipping, but she uses flat rate boxes and will refund any shipping charge overages once she has the actual cost. Of course, that may not be the same with Canadian orders. I'm not sure how that works. That being said, I am in Detroit. If you wanted to order and have shipped to my house, I could meet up sometime to give it to you. (I am hosting an event on Sept 8 about 30/40 minutes from the bridge... you could come to event and pick up then!)
Reply to: #963472 by Fiddleheads
Aug 6, 2018 7:22pm
Thread
Sorry, to be clear, the $5 is for the address service - that's on top of whatever Webfoot charges for shipping (which is minimal compared to the shipping to Canada + taxes + service fees... grr...).
Reply to: #963483 by Bumble
Aug 6, 2018 7:37pm
Thread
So, I preemptively put in an order for 4 of the 6x10 slabs. With the shipping fees all included it's $15.75 per slab (or I can cut them and $7.85 for a 6x5"). Other than Fiddleheads, if anyone wants one of the slabs, please let me know and we can figure out pickup arrangements for there.

Also, I'm sitting on a huge stash of Chinese Sandwich, as well as a few extra packages of Hindodewashi's glow-in-the-dark carving material, and some other random rubbers. If anyone is interested in trying other materials as well, I'm happy to make them available at cost.
Reply to: #963480 by BaliWho
Aug 7, 2018 4:57pm
Thread
BaliWho, it sounds like you have mule potential!
Aug 7, 2018 7:06pm
Thread
Do you need a mailing address in Amherst NY?
Reply to: #963539 by Fiddleheads
Aug 9, 2018 5:53pm
Thread
BaliWho, it sounds like you have mule potential!

Haha! I'm not carrying anything across any borders! Carving material, or otherwise! But, I certainly would be willing to loan out my address to anyone who wanted to ship something here and come pick it up!
Reply to: #963484 by Bumble
Aug 18, 2018 6:00pm
Thread
Could I buy one of the slabs, please, Bumble?? I would also love to try some of the 'Chinese Sandwich'. :D
Reply to: #964069 by RubberRabbit
Aug 19, 2018 7:51am
Thread
Absolutely! I actually just picked them up yesterday - haven't tried them yet, but they are in my clutches!

Send me a message when you're ready, and we can sort out pickup arrangements :)
Kitchener/Waterloo box recommendations for a visitor
Oct 4, 2018 7:55pm
Thread
Hello my Canadian letterboxers! I'll be up visiting with family for the Thanksgiving holiday and decided to see what was around the Kitchener/Waterloo area and wow so many boxes to choose from!!

So the question is with the holidays, visiting the many relatives and limited vehicle access are there any boxes in particular you'd recommend taking time to find?

I'd love to find all of them of course but think will just have to find a few each time I visit, but hoping ya'll have some good suggestions!
Re: Kitchener/Waterloo box recommendations for a visitor
Reply to: #966414 by Cluingforlooks
Oct 4, 2018 9:59pm
Thread
Contact Fiddleheads. She's actually in Guelph, but would be the one most familiar with that area of the province.

Have fun, eh?

Jiggs
Re: Kitchener/Waterloo box recommendations for a visitor
Reply to: #966417 by Jiggs
Oct 5, 2018 2:25pm
Thread
I'd recommend Ladies of the 80s (and the other 80s boxes left from an event several years ago). The woods are beautiful, the boxes aren't too far apart, and there are some cool elements.

The other approach I might take is to go to Huron Natural Area and see what boxes might still be there. It's a lovely little spot, and boxes would be a bonus.

You might want to have a look at the Unwanted Pets. They're all urban/lamp post boxes, so they're quick and parking lots will probably be deserted on Monday. There are many of them; you might find one within walking distance of where you're staying.

If you feel like coming to Guelph, the Early Bedtime Essentials would be the one's I'd recommend.

Message me if you have any questions. :)