Oct 11, 2013 5:17am
Thread
Looks good on ya!
Re: sweetloveqiner
Board: State: Virginia
Reply to: #809877 by paper trail
Oct 11, 2013 2:33pm
Thread
I bought them, although mine are bigger than these look, and I think Kirbert got some. I haven't carved on them yet, they are VERY heavy, thus the high postage. I got a dark pink & dark purple & I'm not sure if the transfer is going to show up. We'll see. It did take a long time to get them, I think over 2 weeks.
Oct 11, 2013 5:36pm
Thread
What about getting the larger blocks? 15x10 cm for $4.80 (instead of 5x5 cm)
http://www.etsy.com/listing/158838825/1pcs-rubber-stamp-carving-blocks?ref=shop_home_active
Reply to: #809962 by Night0wl
Oct 11, 2013 5:49pm
Thread
Looks like shipping for the larger blocks is similar to the smaller blocks and per cm2 the cost is cheaper.
Reply to: #809962 by Night0wl
Oct 12, 2013 6:26am
Thread
Glad to get the larger blocks - looks like we could do either for anyone interested in a small or large sample, and postage would still be divided to help defray it -
Reply to: #809993 by paper trail
Oct 12, 2013 6:11pm
Thread
Thanks for organizing the order :)
Also, here is the link to Kirbert's analysis of this material:
http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=806199
Reply to: #809993 by paper trail
Oct 12, 2013 11:04pm
Thread
Sure, I'd like to try it out. Larger blocks are better. Seems like there might have been a white-only option for the same price...? But maybe I'm misremembering.

(I owe you an email!)
Oct 13, 2013 4:21am
Thread
I ordered four of the larger blocks last week before this message went out :) But I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on carving the stuff.
ISO: person who lives near Plimouth Pantation
Dec 8, 2013 11:13am
Thread
I'm looking for someone who lives near the Plimouth Plantation who would do me a favor. I planted a letterbox near there and can't find the instructions to find it that I made at the time. I pretty much remember them but would like someone to go find it and make sure, before I list it.
Re: ISO: person who lives near Plimouth Pantation
Reply to: #819106 by Photo Dabble
Dec 8, 2013 11:32am
Thread
Did you mean to post this on the Virginia board? When I Google 'Plimouth Plantation' the only thing that comes up is in MA...
Re: ISO: person who lives near Plimouth Pantation
Reply to: #819107 by frankie and benjy
Dec 8, 2013 4:45pm
Thread
Did you mean to post this on the Virginia board? When I Google 'Plimouth Plantation' the only thing that comes up is in MA...

Yup, you are right. I got the wrong board.
You are now returned to your regularly scheduled program........

Mama JC- Smacking her head and feeling like an idiot.
Virginia Wise University
Dec 12, 2013 6:28pm
Does anyone live near Virginia-Wise University that would be willing to plant a box on or near the campus? They are a member of the newly formed Mountain East Conference (NCAA Division II). Doing a series for the members schools and was looking for an assist in planting.
Abingdon area boxer needed
Dec 17, 2013 4:25pm
Looking for someone in the Wise/Norton VA area. Does anyone live near Virginia-Wise University that would be willing to plant a box on or near the campus? They are a member of the newly formed Mountain East Conference (NCAA Division II). Doing a series for the members schools and was looking for an assist in planting.

If you know of anyone who can help, please have them AQ mail me.

Thanks!
Campground near Lynchburg
Jan 3, 2014 2:47pm
Thread
Hello All,

I am trying to organize a small group reunion this summer. There's about 8 of us that went to college together and in the summer of 2012 we got together for a reunion. There were about 19 of us , adults and kids aged from 13 down to 2. We had so much fun that we decided to do every two years. So this is the year! Last time we went to a Yogi bear campground in PA. It was sort of in the middle of all us. This place was nice, they had cabins for those that didn't camp, tent sites for those that wanted to, and RV sites for the RV 'ers. In our group we had 1 popup, 1 RV, 2 that rented a cabin and 2 that pitched a tent. Though it was really hot last time and the two in the tents have said that they want a cabin for this time. This place also had a restaurant on site that we were able to get food at. One couple flew out from AZ, so they didn't bring food and liked the option of being able to buy. Plus being a Yogi Bear it had water slides and playgrounds.

So this summer we want to be near Lynchburg college. This is where we all met. We don't have to be in Lynchburg exactly, just near. We want to be able to go over to the campus and look around. My kids haven't ever seen where I went to school. So if we had to drive a bit to get there for an afternoon that'd be fine. We also want to be near Natural Bridge and Foamhedge. Believe it or not in 4 yrs of college I never made it to NB!

So does anyone know of a campground that meets the above criteria? I saw the KOA but they only have 6 cabins and no cafe.

Thanks a lot! I have a lot of research to do and am always looking for advice!

Vicki
Re: Campground near Lynchburg
Reply to: #823089 by Crazyolis
Jan 3, 2014 3:42pm
Thread
Not sure what is down there, but you might want to check out rvparkreviews.com. Great site for finding campgrounds and seeing what others think of them.
Jan 3, 2014 3:45pm
Thread
Sounds like a great time! We have wonderful memories of Crabtree Falls Campground about 40 mi from Lynchburg on Rt 29. They offer tent sites, pop up and RV sites and they have cabins. I don't recall what's available restaurant wise in the area but I know there is not one in the compound. Hope this helps.
CTEE
Jan 3, 2014 6:32pm
Thread
Liberty Snowflex is always fun, and there are boxes on them dar hills.
Boxing in the Snow
Jan 29, 2014 9:13am
Thread
Usually boxing in the snow where I live is IMPOSSIBLE...unless y'all have a shovel, snowshoes and a thermos of warm wintery beverage...but here in Lynchburgh...not so bad...
Be Safe...
BR1
Re: Boxing in the Snow
Reply to: #828272 by BigRedOne
Jan 29, 2014 3:38pm
Thread
Yup..you Yoopers measure snow in feet, not inches!
Reply to: #828272 by BigRedOne
Jan 29, 2014 7:34pm
Thread
I've put 'snow friendly' icons on my boxes before. I dunno know. We went fishing yesterday & couldn't pick a rock up off the ground. Nor could we catch fish. We saw newly released fish from the day before, frozen dead & stuck to the sides of the river. My point....?
... ....... ....... oh ya! I'm not so sure now about my "snow friendly" icons :(
Reply to: #828396 by crosscresent
Jan 30, 2014 8:19am
Thread
Fishing eh...I took my youngest son Ice Fishing the last weekend before I flew here and the ice wasn't biting either...but the fish were...in'shallah...we had a great time, caught fish and had to get pulled out of the snow on the lake twice...my big bad truck wasn't big enough I guess...but fun none the less...
Thanks for the snow friendly icons...
be safe...
BR1
Reply to: #828331 by Granny Butterfly
Jan 30, 2014 8:20am
Thread
Yes...yes we do...just like we measure distance in hours and minutes...and time in seasons...like June, July, August and Winter...
be safe...
BR1
Reply to: #828396 by crosscresent
Feb 3, 2014 4:18am
Thread
I've put 'snow friendly' icons on my boxes before. I dunno know. We went fishing yesterday & couldn't pick a rock up off the ground.

Good idea when the temps are low to carry a little extra liquid to pour over frozen stuff.
Visiting Your State
Feb 10, 2014 8:18pm
Thread
Hi Fellow VA Letterboxers:

I will be in VA beginning late the 15th. I'll be there through the 23rd.

Here is where we are staying. We check in on 16th and check out on the 21st. We actually arrive on the 15th and leave on the 23rd. We are staying with my husband's brother on the 15th, 21st, and 22nd. He lives in Manassa.

Residence Inn Arlington Ballston
650 North Quincy Street
Arlington, Virginia, 22203

I'm open to ANYTHING! I'd love boxing with others and/or a mini meet and greet. When I was in Atlanta, GA in Sept a small group took me boxing and we had a meet and greet. This is really short notice so I'm not really expecting anything. I found out on the 7th that he was going and had purchased a ticket for me to come along. I will be letterboxing Monday - Friday, alone or with somebody from the area. I'll have a car at my disposal. I'll send my cell phone number upon request. Anybody can call or text, especially when I get there, and we can make plans. I've been cooped up here in CO for so long due to adverse weather conditions. Your forecast says it'll be in the 40's. I'm really looking forward to hunting! Plus, I'll have 3 boxes to plant, one in VA, one in MD, one in D.C. They are part of my series to plant in every state/country/district I visit.

I'm trying to pull clues for boxes and am not sure whether to leave the hikes alone. Safety is also an issue. Figure I can get the drive-bys and inside boxes. I wasn't planning on bringing my hiking boots as they take up so much room and I'm limited to one suitcase and a carry-on. Just my tennis shoes. Have to pack for 9 days. I have to bring warm clothes and they take up more room. So space is limited, too.

You can also send a list of suggested boxes!

Our flight leaves at 6 pm on the 23rd.

Feel free to share this with any local boxers. It's always more fun to box with a buddy rather than alone. Safer, too. But I'll do it alone. Gotta get a boxing fix!! :-)

Patty
Re: Visiting Your State
Reply to: #830313 by The Woodshed
Feb 12, 2014 5:16am
Thread
First off - wear your hiking boots on the plane! You can carry along some 'pocket slippers' to switch into if you find them uncomfortable for the flight. It maybe 40's but it could be wet. We are getting 6-9" of snow starting tonite (Wed Feb 12) - I doubt it will disappear before you get here.

There is already a LB Event on Sun Feb 23 in Bladensburg MD
Reply to: #830571 by sewsewbizzy
Feb 12, 2014 5:26am
Thread
Oops, sorry, re-reading I see you will be on the plane Feb 23
Reply to: #830313 by The Woodshed
Feb 13, 2014 2:31pm
Thread
I've sent you a message and also set up a little mini-meet for Sunday evening, we can change that if it does not work for you.
Reply to: #830839 by Cyclonic
Feb 13, 2014 3:56pm
Thread
and be glad you're not here this week. :)
Reply to: #830841 by windsurfgator
Feb 14, 2014 8:13am
Thread
We get plenty of our own snow! At least you don't have the -16* we just went through. I just hope the boxes aren't frozen to the ground next week.
Reply to: #830841 by windsurfgator
Feb 15, 2014 6:00pm
Thread
This snow needs to melt! And I've been told a lot has melted already. Come on, sun!!!