A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: State: Utah

Re: View from Ogden Canyon Overlook
Board: State: Utah
Reply to: #964448 by Boxer Lover47
Aug 26, 2018 7:11am
Thread
Not this letterboxer. I’m too fat and weak for hikes. But since you said you’d plant it near the trailhead, I can probably handle it.
Reply to: #964451 by The Gingerbread Man
Aug 26, 2018 7:24am
Thread
Ah, yes, I could do near the TH!
Reply to: #964451 by The Gingerbread Man
Aug 26, 2018 11:39am
Thread
Not this letterboxer. I’m too fat and weak for hikes.

You should see me. You can probably do more than you think you can if you have the right hiking companion. On a geocaching trip in 2015 (pretty sure) I did 2200 ft elevation gain and over 5 miles each way over 16 hours. It was from North Ogden Pass to almost Chilly Peak, half way to Ben Lomond Peak.

But since you said you’d plant it near the trailhead, I can probably handle it.

It is a matter of doing it once to be able to find It, or making it easy enough to be able to maintain it. There is a lot of space by Snow Basin and no letterboxes (that I know of) near the Maple Trailhead. There are thirteen accessed from the Green Pond Trailhead, and one (mine) from the Art Nord Trailhead (though it is marginally closer from the Green Pond Trailhead).

I still haven't found Pepper Was a Service Dog even though I've looked for it twice. I just haven't found the right landmarks. And I want to find that before I look for the ones uphill from that trailhead.
Reply to: #964468 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 26, 2018 4:45pm
Thread
I also have chronic health issues, so overexertion can land me in bed for a week. But letterboxing does manage to get me hiking. I hate hiking. I want to be in the forest without having to put out effort to get there. :)

Heading up letterboxing in Boise next month!
Reply to: #964491 by The Gingerbread Man
Aug 26, 2018 5:50pm
Thread
I hate hiking. I want to be in the forest without having to put out effort to get there. :)

I agree. The superpower I'd like to have is either super-speed, teleportation, or even if I could only teleport to a place where I've been before (then walk the rest of the way).

But we don't have those superpowers, so we have to hike. That is why when I plant I like places that are easier to get to. I'll find farther away (in general) that where I'll plant.

However, because I geocache as well I plant some of my letterboxes (the ones I post both places) where I can also plant a geocache letterbox. This is why COVFEFE is so far from the Art Nord Trailhead, though it is an easy walk. I've got plans for others which will (almost always) be closer to parking. I just need to make time to do everything to plant a letterbox.
Reply to: #964418 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 26, 2018 7:22pm
Thread
"Like". That's beautiful.
Salt Lake City Cemetery Box
Oct 14, 2018 9:17am
I was geocaching in the Salt Lake City Cemetery yesterday (Saturday) and came across a pouch made of camo duct tape. Two of the corners of the pouch had been chewed through, probably by a mouse. It had a paper in it identifying it as a letterbox, but there was no stamp. The log inside shows that geocachers have been signing it as the geocache, but no letterbox logbook.

The pouch is in a juniper tree located on the block west of Center Street and 240 N, in the northeast quarter of the block. This is where the cache coordinates put the cache, but the juniper is the tree slightly south of there: geocache.

I tried to figure out which letterbox it was, but following the directions I couldn't figure out which one it is. I was with a geocaching friend this day so I wasn't following letterboxing directions to this tree. It may also be a retired box that I don't know about.

I want to let the Salt Lake City letterboxing community know about the status of this box, whichever one it was. I also AQ-mailed the three box owners of the boxes in the Salt Lake City Cemetery that I could not exclude.
Ogden City Transportation Master Plan
Nov 9, 2018 9:04am
Ogden has a web site to view and comment on the Ogden City Transportation Master Plan.
Utah State Road Sign Stamp Available
Nov 21, 2018 9:22am
As part of a state road sign postal ring I carved Utah. If you are interested in planting it in Utah let me know. Just send via AQ a mailing address.
Trailfest Ogden
May 18, 2019 10:21am
Trailfest Ogden Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 8 AM – 2 PM

You get a passport and get it stamped at places along the Centennial Trail.
Sometimes You Feel Like A Nut
Oct 15, 2019 8:34pm
Thread
Sorry about publishing this letterbox yesterday. I wanted to find out the AQ number. I should have used a reserved box because I could have got that information and still have it show up as being published today.

This letterbox is in place and is now ready to be found.
Re: Sometimes You Feel Like A Nut
Reply to: #980331 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 15, 2019 9:25pm
Thread
"Sometimes you Don't" (couldn't help myself)
Reply to: #980333 by Topcollector
Oct 15, 2019 10:12pm
Thread
I would normally come up with a response like that, so I very much appreciate your reply. I just didn't thinks of it in this case. I guess that I was just too close to the subject to see the obvious.
Reply to: #980333 by Topcollector
Oct 16, 2019 3:06am
Thread
Years ago, when I was married, we went to a Halloween party as an Almond Joy and Mounds.
I'm sure you know who was which.
Reply to: #980335 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 16, 2019 6:06am
Thread
Jingles stay in my head & I heard it the second I read the title.
Reply to: #980331 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 17, 2019 8:03pm
Thread
Glad to see another one... already started on the AQ version... will leave the other til after... since this is more fun... so far... but I probably won't be a finder though... maybe next year... just have to get border papers... passport etc.. haven't crossed the line in many years... any way... good to hear you again..
Southern Utah Suggestions?
Dec 20, 2019 5:55am
Thread
Hi friends,
We are looking to vacation in Southern Utah next year, and are looking for suggestions on trails. We are wanting to hit Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, Cedar Breaks, and Zion. We’ve been to Zion, but not the others. I am looking on line and trying to decide what all we will want to do and what trails to make top priority.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good trails to hike? I’m the hiker in the family, so the others might like 6 miles or less.

Also, any other must see sites that might not be mentioned anywhere? Or other suggestions?

I’ve marked the letterboxes in the area, so hopefully we will find a few of those too.

Thanks everyone!
Re: Southern Utah Suggestions?
Reply to: #981832 by photopam
Dec 20, 2019 8:32am
Thread
I'd suggest St. George as well. Lots for everyone to see (dinosaur prints and all) plus lovely trails in the area as well.
~SD~
Dec 20, 2019 7:57pm
Thread
Google trails in Red Canyon (it’s near Bryce). Google Buckskin Gulch, it’s fantastic and not nearly as crowded.
Dec 20, 2019 9:20pm
Thread
Did a similar trip in 2015.
Blogged about it here.
Plenty of places to get away from crowds and plenty of hiking.

https://savingtimeinabottle.com/tag/spring-break-2015/page/3/

Best,
Curtis
Dec 21, 2019 5:48am
Thread
Stay at Recapture Lodge in Bluff and take a day raft trip on San Juan River—you will “park” and hike to cave dwellings and fabulous pictograph sites along river. Great BBQ at Cottonwood Steakhouse.
Dec 21, 2019 10:37am
Thread
Be sure to also check LbNA for boxes not listed on AQ. There’s at least one in the area where should will be
Dec 21, 2019 7:41pm
Thread
Zion is one of my favorite parks. My favorite trails are the Narrows and Angels Landing, so if you go those are a must!!! I don't know if you've hiked the Narrows already or if you will, but if you do bring shoes that can get wet! It's literally a hike through a river. Angels Landing is not a hike for people that are afraid of heights but the view is impeccable if you can brave the altitude.
Reply to: #981836 by SnakeDoctor
Dec 22, 2019 7:24am
Thread
I’d suggest St. George as well.

Thank you for the suggestion. Ill check it out and We will see if we can fit it in our itinerary.
Reply to: #981848 by KAT
Dec 22, 2019 7:26am
Thread
Google trails in Red Canyon (it’s near Bryce). Google Buckskin Gulch, it’s fantastic and not nearly as crowded.

Will do, thank you for the suggestion.
Reply to: #981850 by Squatchis
Dec 22, 2019 7:27am
Thread
Did a similar trip in 2015.
Blogged about it here.

Thank you for sharing your trip. It looks like you two had an amazing time. This is very helpful.
Reply to: #981855 by Jabber
Dec 22, 2019 7:28am
Thread
Stay at Recapture Lodge in Bluff and take a day raft trip on San Juan River—you will “park” and hike to cave dwellings and fabulous pictograph sites along river.

Is this white water rafting? It sounds amazing.
Reply to: #981864 by Baqash
Dec 22, 2019 7:29am
Thread
Be sure to also check LbNA for boxes not listed on AQ.

Always do, but thank you for the reminder. :)
Reply to: #981885 by AdventurousAcorn
Dec 22, 2019 7:32am
Thread
Zion is one of my favorite parks. My favorite trails are the Narrows and Angels Landing, so if you go those are a must!!!

Yes! I wanted to do the Narrows last time we were there, but we didn’t have the right shoes. Angles landing is on the list, and I’m trying to talk the youngest into doing it. I might just have to go by myself. Ha! :)
Dec 22, 2019 8:14am
Thread
Google Yant Flat and look at the images. We had planned to hike this remote trail a few years ago but didn't get to go for various reasons.

You can find details about the trail at the Hike St George web site.

Such a beautiful area. Have fun!